Blog Speculation: "Texas to the ACC?" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Blog Speculation: "Texas to the ACC?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn at least had a majority of schools in the ACC looking to include it. It lost out to Pitt and Louisville for various reasons. Baylor, to the best of my knowledge, has never been a candidate for one of these conferences.

I'd definitely vote for UConn over Baylor, and over most others for the ACC. We've gone over the proximity to New York and Boston, supporting ACC presence in NY and a close proximity rival that the BC and UConn fans could get excited about locally in New England. So UConn fits the ACC footprint very well.

Then academically, UConn is top 60 in USN&WR, which fits very well. UConn would be in the middle of the pack within the ACC there. That's a good fit.

Then athletically, the ACC sponsors 25 sports. UConn sponsors varsity teams in 22 of the 25 missing only Men's Lacrosse, Wrestling, and Women's Golf. The athletic department at UConn is healthy and could step into the majority of the sports. It looks like the ACC is going to add Men's & Women's Fencing, which only a handfull sponsor today. It would take the ACC to 27. UConn has ice hockey, and I have to imagine that if the ACC gets a television network, the ACC would strike some kind of deal to show Hockey East games particularly if UConn joins with Notre Dame and Boston College. All are Hockey East.

Football wouldn't be the driver for UConn to the ACC IMO, but it would need to maintain itself as competitive enough to make the games interesting. Some will say that nothing else matters but football. Well not to everyone and certainly not to a conference network. Connecticut has excellent venues for Swimming and Soccer from what I've seen that would fit in very well.

Baylor, on the other hand, is ranked 75 academically. That would work, but it's lower than UConn. And Baylor only sponsors 17 of the ACC's 25 sports. Texas only sponsors 20 of the 25. They should be ashamed with all the money their athletic department makes. That's a lot of missing content for the Long Horn Network.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If things have gotten so bad there needs to be a discussion over Baylor and UConn for the ACC..... um one fits and the other doesn't.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Baylor has A LOT of political pull in Texas. Thats how they got into the Big 12 over TCU. And, their backers will fight to the very end to keep them tied to wherever UT goes.

But, if the 16-team superconferences come to pass, they will be on the outside looking in, IMHO. The Texas GA's reach only goes so far.

Baylor no longer has that pull - it was a very specific situation that got them into the Big 12 over TCU.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If things have gotten so bad there needs to be a discussion over Baylor and UConn for the ACC..... um one fits and the other doesn't.

I mentioned them, forgetting the religious connection, as a possible for the B1G, not the ACC. It was a mistake, quickly renounced. Honestly, only UT and A&M would appeal to the B1G in TX. They do want access to richer demographics and were shut out of NC. The ACC has fabulous demographics and doesn't need that help. The B1G cities are all shrinking. I posted before they had (I think) 7 of the ten slowest growing cities as their key markets (for the nutty Buffalo to the B1G crowd, that would give the 8 of 10).

I actually long thought that the B1G could consider trying to poach Colorado from a demographics perspective. That would be a partner for Kansas, one they may prefer to Missouri.

Reaction Score
I mentioned them, forgetting the religious connection, as a possible for the B1G, not the ACC. It was a mistake, quickly renounced. Honestly, only UT and A&M would appeal to the B1G in TX. They do want access to richer demographics and were shut out of NC. The ACC has fabulous demographics and doesn't need that help. The B1G cities are all shrinking. I posted before they had (I think) 7 of the ten slowest growing cities as their key markets (for the nutty Buffalo to the B1G crowd, that would give the 8 of 10).

I actually long thought that the B1G could consider trying to poach Colorado from a demographics perspective. That would be a partner for Kansas, one they may prefer to Missouri.

This demographic thing is really a non-issue for both TV markets and for colleges. The size of the B1G universities more than make up for the gain in market share down south, where the schools are much smaller. As for transplants, their local ties are not that strong, and you likely won't find a Michigan kid rooting for North Carolina just because he moved to Charlotte.

Reaction Score
Give it a generation...

Many of the parents of fans of Florida teams came from somewhere else...FSU and Gator fans aren't usually second generation Florida natives.

Reaction Score
If Texas goes anywhere its to the SEC
The populated area of Texas are closer to Louisiana than AZ.
I don't know if A&M could keep them out.
Thats the best football conference in the country and its got to bother the fans that their rival is stealing their glory.

Reaction Score
If Texas goes anywhere its to the SEC
The populated area of Texas are closer to Louisiana than AZ.
I don't know if A&M could keep them out.
Thats the best football conference in the country and its got to bother the fans that their rival is stealing their glory.

Texas never goes to the SEC. Multiple reasons why this never happens.

Reaction Score

Ah this is overstatement - try slower growth & a handful of cities who are shrinking, yet their metros are still growing. I live in Minneapolis-Saint Paul. In just 2 years Minneapolis has grown by nearly 10 thousand people and is currently part of a metro that ranks 13the in the US, GDP, large metros. It's quite possible Minneapolis will go from 383,000 in 2010 to well over 410,000 by 2020 - from 2000 to 2010, Mpls actually lost about 200 people, but the metro grew plenty. I'm starting to lose track of all the construction going on this city - in fact it's annoying - and damn, city planning is my field.

What BIG administrators don't seem to get is that hs football has been superior in the Southeast and Tx for well over 50 years. The rise of the SEC & success of other schools in the region, as well as the Southwest, correlates with post-segregation policies. It's just an understated fact on CF boards. Such a divide could be changed, though a competitive gap will always remain: states in the BIG, and only if they want to, could implement spring football and build year round facilities. But hey now, there are more important things at the end of the day.

Bottom line: BIG football will depend more on a few king programs who recruit nationally to keep pace, which has been the case anyways. If the BIG can expand w/my wish list: OU, Tx, UConn, KU if 18, then Tx solves a lot of recruiting issues and adds two more kings in football, two kings in hoops. Case closed - set for the very long term, big two sports.

Reaction Score
Texas never goes to the SEC. Multiple reasons why this never happens.

That is correct. A LOT of powerful people within the University of Texas administration, and, booster club, would have to die, or, lose thier minds, before Texas would ever join the SEC. Texas could go to any of the other three P5 leagues at almost anytime, IF they're willing to play well with others.

Reaction Score
That is correct. A LOT of powerful people within the University of Texas administration, and, booster club, would have to die, or, lose thier minds, before Texas would ever join the SEC. Texas could go to any of the other three P5 leagues at almost anytime, IF they're willing to play well with others.

I also think that in addition to TAMU, schools like LSU, Bama, Arkansas might have an issue with Texas in the SEC as well. LSU and Bama because they have a lot of sway in the SEC and a huge ego like Texas might not play nice in the same sandbox. Arkansas for many of the same reasons as TAMU

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Ah this is overstatement - try slower growth & a handful of cities who are shrinking, yet their metros are still growing. I live in Minneapolis-Saint Paul. In just 2 years Minneapolis has grown by nearly 10 thousand people and is currently part of a metro that ranks 13the in the US, GDP, large metros. It's quite possible Minneapolis will go from 383,000 in 2010 to well over 410,000 by 2020 - from 2000 to 2010, Mpls actually lost about 200 people, but the metro grew plenty. I'm starting to lose track of all the construction going on this city - in fact it's annoying - and damn, city planning is my field.
I get so annoyed at the constant drone about how the midwest and the northeast is shrinking while the south is growing. It's largely untrue. The entire midwest and northeast aren't Detroit and Buffalo... and no one is in a big hurry to move to Mississippi. Alabama and Kentucky's growth rates are more like Indiana and New Hampshire than they are North Carolina and Georgia.

Reaction Score
I also think that in addition to TAMU, schools like LSU, Bama, Arkansas might have an issue with Texas in the SEC as well. LSU and Bama because they have a lot of sway in the SEC and a huge ego like Texas might not play nice in the same sandbox. Arkansas for many of the same reasons as TAMU

If Texas would play by the same set of rules as the others, the SEC would take them in a split second. Even over A&M's objections. But, I expect UT to go to one of the other three leagues, if the Big 12 collapses.

Reaction Score
I get so annoyed at the constant drone about how the midwest and the northeast is shrinking while the south is growing. It's largely untrue. The entire midwest and northeast aren't Detroit and Buffalo... and no one is in a big hurry to move to Mississippi. Alabama and Kentucky's growth rates are more like Indiana and New Hampshire than they are North Carolina and Georgia.

The midwest and Northeast are "shrinking" in % of the total population. States like North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Tennessee are seeing large population increases for multiple reasons and this contributes to a larger share of the overall population in the region. So while the Midwest and Northeast are "growing" they aren't growing faster than the southeast region.

Reaction Score
The midwest and Northeast are "shrinking" in % of the total population. States like North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Texas, and Tennessee are seeing large population increases for multiple reasons and this contributes to a larger share of the overall population in the region. So while the Midwest and Northeast are "growing" they aren't growing faster than the southeast region.
That may be so but their growing with NE and MWesternerners who are making the south more like the Northeast or Midwest as we absorb the southern culture similar to what Yankees have done in sections of Fla!Heck,in the panhandle many call the "U" the "hebrewcanes" instead of hurricanes!!

Reaction Score
I'd definitely vote for UConn over Baylor, and over most others for the ACC. We've gone over the proximity to New York and Boston, supporting ACC presence in NY and a close proximity rival that the BC and UConn fans could get excited about locally in New England. So UConn fits the ACC footprint very well.

Then academically, UConn is top 60 in USN&WR, which fits very well. UConn would be in the middle of the pack within the ACC there. That's a good fit.

Then athletically, the ACC sponsors 25 sports. UConn sponsors varsity teams in 22 of the 25 missing only Men's Lacrosse, Wrestling, and Women's Golf. The athletic department at UConn is healthy and could step into the majority of the sports. It looks like the ACC is going to add Men's & Women's Fencing, which only a handfull sponsor today. It would take the ACC to 27. UConn has ice hockey, and I have to imagine that if the ACC gets a television network, the ACC would strike some kind of deal to show Hockey East games particularly if UConn joins with Notre Dame and Boston College. All are Hockey East.

Football wouldn't be the driver for UConn to the ACC IMO, but it would need to maintain itself as competitive enough to make the games interesting. Some will say that nothing else matters but football. Well not to everyone and certainly not to a conference network. Connecticut has excellent venues for Swimming and Soccer from what I've seen that would fit in very well.

Baylor, on the other hand, is ranked 75 academically. That would work, but it's lower than UConn. And Baylor only sponsors 17 of the ACC's 25 sports. Texas only sponsors 20 of the 25. They should be ashamed with all the money their athletic department makes. That's a lot of missing content for the Long Horn Network.
But Baylor would give the ACC an expanded footprint in TX.

Men's Lacrosse and women's golf have not been driving factors in expansion thus far, and really do not see them as being a cash cow in any sense going forward.

Pigskin rules.

Reaction Score
Texas to the Pac 12 eventually. They need each other. Pac 12 to get near the SEC as the 1 conference but definately the clear #2 conference and Texas needs them for Oregon.. USC.. UCLA vists to offset the high tide A&M is on. They can't let A&M get all the noise. Texas is a big state but only room for 1 top team in the state.

Reaction Score
As for growing populations unless you are able to bring in higher paying jobs and more money it doesn't really matter how much you grow. Just means more people making minimum wage who don't have tv's and don't have any money to buy anything. I just don't see high tech companies going down south. I am pretty sure football and not academics are the concerns down south.

Reaction Score
AZHuskies first law of UConn's perception as a CR candidate.
The percecption of the football team is directtly proportional to the success of men's basketball.

pj

Reaction Score
Texas to the Pac 12 eventually. They need each other. Pac 12 to get near the SEC as the 1 conference but definately the clear #2 conference and Texas needs them for Oregon.. USC.. UCLA vists to offset the high tide A&M is on. They can't let A&M get all the noise. Texas is a big state but only room for 1 top team in the state.

Texas in the PAC and A&M in the SEC seems like ceding the top position in Texas to A&M. The Pac is 2 time zones over from Texas which is a barrier to viewing, and Texans don't have an interest in California/Oregon teams or a cultural affinity with them. Can't see Texas preferring Pac to independence where it gets an annual game with Notre Dame and ACC teams filling the conference period plus can schedule top OOC teams including Oklahoma. It can schedule USC/UCLA/Oregon/Stanford out of conference to get a West Coast game and part of the benefit of Pac affiliation. Don't forget the long travel out West for Olympic sports -- Texas-California is much worse than Texas- North Carolina.

Reaction Score
That may be so but their growing with NE and MWesternerners who are making the south more like the Northeast or Midwest as we absorb the southern culture similar to what Yankees have done in sections of Fla!Heck,in the panhandle many call the "U" the "hebrewcanes" instead of hurricanes!!

Your correct. The southern states are growing with transplants who still pull for their NE and Midwest universities when they move. The bigger shift will be when those transplants kids who have lived in the south end up choosing a in state school due to tuition costs or because they grew up with people talking about them. Universities in the south are primed to take advantage of the population growth and mint new fans. I dont expect the Michigans or Ohio States of the world to lose their perch anytime soon or ever though. What I expect to see is a long term shift towards universities in the south due to their growth. It may take a generation for it to happen though.

Reaction Score
Your correct. The southern states are growing with transplants who still pull for their NE and Midwest universities when they move. The bigger shift will be when those transplants kids who have lived in the south end up choosing a in state school due to tuition costs or because they grew up with people talking about them. Universities in the south are primed to take advantage of the population growth and mint new fans. I dont expect the Michigans or Ohio States of the world to lose their perch anytime soon or ever though. What I expect to see is a long term shift towards universities in the south due to their growth. It may take a generation for it to happen though.

Absolutely. My dad was a Michigan grad while his family (Neenah, Wisconsin, were GB fans)...my Mom's folks were Alabama fanss...I and my son are FSU guys.

Very few of current Florida, Miami, or FSU students are the product of native Florida grandparents.....

Florida was a very small state in my 1950's boyhood....We are all from somewhere else. Even the Seminoles (who are an amalgamation of Creek and Miccosukee who moved down to Florida in the 1700's).

Reaction Score

Texas joining the Pac-12 will not offset the high tide of Texas A&M being in the SEC, IMHO. Unless or until the SEC comes back to the pack.​

Reaction Score
The chances of Texas going to the ACC is the same as Nick Sabin becoming coach for Texas tonight!!! (Very Long Odds!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom