Blog Speculation: "Texas to the ACC?" | The Boneyard

Blog Speculation: "Texas to the ACC?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the Atlantic Coast Confidential blog:
http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com/2013/09/15/texas-to-the-acc/
FYI: UConn mentioned in the blog and bolded by me for this post.

Here we go again… A few months ago, the Confidential wrote about a future between Texas and the ACC, and just recently wrote about Texas’ questionable decision to promote Greg Robinson from “football analyst” to Defensive Coordinator (a.k.a. – Brown’s next Fall Guy).
The total ineptitude in Texas has many Longhorn bloggers and fans speculating that Deloss Dodds’ future as the Athletic Director will be ending at year’s end, while others at this point are hoping that Mack Brown will man-up and call it quits after the season.
That kind of sea change could have dramatic effects on the future of a Texas program that is watching the Aggies capture the national love-and-attention (OK…maybe just attention) while the Longhorns are entering a slippery-slope of irrelevancy.
Factor in the rumblings that the B1G has performed their due diligence on Oklahoma and Kansas, and we could be in for another round of conference realignment opening the door for Texas to the ACC.
It is no secret that the other Power Conferences have all coveted adding Texas. Despite the past few years lack of success, they are and will continue to be a “Football King” and can attract viewers nationwide.
What the ACC has that no other conference seemingly wants to offer, is the ability to do a partial membership following the mold of Notre Dame, if not being the catalyst for both schools to go all-in.
As previously written by the Confidential:
With the Longhorn Network, ESPN and Texas can have a smooth transition regarding the Tier 3 rights (i.e. the Texas exception for Tier 3 rights). Perhaps lay the foundation for a Sunshine Network for the Tier 3 rights for Miami and Florida State. Or Texas could end up with a similar “deal” as Notre Dame–partial schedule, retaining Longhorn Network rights to the remaining games.
Consider an ACC with the following:
Atlantic: Florida State, Boston College, Louisville, Clemson, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Notre Dame (5 or 6 games per year).
Coastal: Miami, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, Pittsburgh, Texas (5 or 6 games per year).
Of course there would be an obligatory annual game between Texas and Notre Dame.
As for the issue of Grant of Rights, the loss of Texas would almost assuredly result in the dissolution of the Big 12, cementing the ACC’s spot among Power 4 Conferences, which would coincide nicely with the B1G’s expansion plans.
Based on the B1G’s previous expansion moves, they tend to only take 1 team per conference, so the odds are they will take only taking Kansas or Oklahoma. My guess: B1G goes basketball taking a blue-blood elite basketball school in Kansas, and then makes a bold move to take UConn for basketball and another eastern seaboard school.
The moves by the ACC and B1G will result in “Conference Realignment End Game” with a free-for-all for Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas St., WVU, TCU, and Iowa State as they scramble to join the Pac12, SEC, MWC, while the remainders raid the American (Cinci, UConn, Houston, Tulsa, UCF, USF).
ACC fans may have more incentive to root against Texas than ever.

Reaction Score
Only part that I agree with is that Brown is done at Texas. He is one of two coaches in the hot seat more that PP (Kiffin at USC being the other) simply because Texas’s annual expectations are a lot higher.

It will take a lot more that a single AD and football coach at Texas for that school to give-up its kingdom (XII).

Hypothetically, if the world was to turn upside-down and Texas left the XII, Texas and Oklahoma should be smart and move to the SEC. Yeah, they would have to share their sandbox with Alabama, Florida, LSU, and (gulp) A&M; but, it would solidify the SEC as THE football conference and lock-out the other 3 (PAC, B1G, ACC) from gaining major access to Texas (Baylor, Tech, TCU, etc. will provide some access; but, would be insignificant).

pj

Reaction Score
Would be a remarkable turn of events. Wonder how they would deal with the GoR.

If it did play out this way, I'd like to see Frank the Tank's reaction when the B1G took UConn over Oklahoma. If the B12 did break up, wouldn't the B1G find a way to get Kansas, Oklahoma, and UConn. Who would be #4? West Virginia? A Texas school? Colorado State? Tulane? Vanderbilt?

pj

Reaction Score
It will take a lot more that a single AD and football coach at Texas for that school to give-up its kingdom (XII).

Hypothetically, if the world was to turn upside-down and Texas left the XII, Texas and Oklahoma should be smart and move to the SEC. Yeah, they would have to share their sandbox with Alabama, Florida, LSU, and (gulp) A&M; but, it would solidify the SEC as THE football conference and lock-out the other 3 (PAC, B1G, ACC) from gaining major access to Texas (Baylor, Tech, TCU, etc. will provide some access; but, would be insignificant).

Their kingdom is the Longhorn Network, the game with Oklahoma, and a privileged position in whatever league they are in. Their kingdom in the ACC, on this arrangement, would be even better than their B12 kingdom. If you think their pride and joy is being associated with Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU, I don't think you know the folks in Austin.

I think Texas A&M's move to the SEC would make Texas reluctant to go there. They don't want to be a follower. Also, doubt the SEC gives them a special deal, the ACC would.

Reaction Score
The tier 3 rights thing seems confusing in that speculation. The ACC gave tier 3 to ESPN. Not sure why ESPN would give up Miami and Florida St's tier 3 rights (in order to block any relationship between Fox and Texas?)

Reaction Score

If it did play out this way, I'd like to see Frank the Tank's reaction when the B1G took UConn over Oklahoma. If the B12 did break up, wouldn't the B1G find a way to get Kansas, Oklahoma, and UConn. Who would be #4? West Virginia? A Texas school? Colorado State? Tulane? Vanderbilt?
Akron. Maybe Buffalo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

If the Big 12 dissolved, with UT going "Notre Dame" indy/ACC, then OU would be in the SEC before the ink was dry. The SEC would then need to choose a partner from Baylor, KU, KSU, FSU etc. If KU got invites from both, it would go to the B1G. UConn would likely end up in a conference made up of the best of the American and B12 leftovers.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 dissolved, with UT going "Notre Dame" indy/ACC, then OU would be in the SEC before the ink was dry. The SEC would then need to choose a partner from Baylor, KU, KSU, FSU etc. If KU got invites from both, it would go to the B1G. UConn would likely end up in a conference made up of the best of the American and B12 leftovers.

Who would go to the B1G with Kansas? 15 is unworkable for football.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Who would go to the B1G with Kansas? 15 is unworkable for football.
I doubt UConn, as they would be too football light. They'd try for OU, but I think OU, unlike KU, is a better fit in the SEC. Baylor could be possible for either league.

It's all moot, as it won't be happening.

Reaction Score
I doubt UConn, as they would be too football light. They'd try for OU, but I think OU, unlike KU, is a better fit in the SEC. Baylor could be possible for either league.

It's all moot, as it won't be happening.

Baylor, until a couple years ago, was one of the worst football schools out there. The old Texas Gov. Anne Richards had to threaten U. Texas just to shoehorn Baylor into the B12. No one wanted them. They were one of the excluded when all the talk was of the Pac10 picking up 4 B12 schools. Plus, they are a smaller private religious school, non-AAU. Chances of landing in the B1G are practically nil.

Oklahoma is interesting because it has the football credentials that Nebraska has. Nebraska and Oklahoma are quite similar in so many ways, so that's very understandable. Oklahoma however would be hurt pretty badly by not playing Texas schools, so I don't see them moving out of the south because of what it would imply about their recruiting.

Kansas does not have a partner for landing in the B1G.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Baylor, until a couple years ago, was one of the worst football schools out there. The old Texas Gov. Anne Richards had to threaten U. Texas just to shoehorn Baylor into the B12. No one wanted them. They were one of the excluded when all the talk was of the Pac10 picking up 4 B12 schools. Plus, they are a smaller private religious school, non-AAU. Chances of landing in the B1G are practically nil.

Oklahoma is interesting because it has the football credentials that Nebraska has. Nebraska and Oklahoma are quite similar in so many ways, so that's very understandable. Oklahoma however would be hurt pretty badly by not playing Texas schools, so I don't see them moving out of the south because of what it would imply about their recruiting.

Kansas does not have a partner for landing in the B1G.

You are right about Baylor, but they have improved a lot in football and basketball and have a very positive market. It would be a big stretch for the B1G. I'd love to see KU and UConn go, since I'm a graduate of both schools. And I do believe that the SEC couldn't pass up a shot at OU if it came, and with regioanl rivalries with Mizzou, Arkansas, A&M they couldn't pass it up, even to revive the Nebraska rivalry (UT would be lost in this scenario anyway, but could continue non-conference). The SEC is lacking a school in that scenario as well.

Reaction Score
Seems more like a bored ACC writer than a plausible scenario.
1. The difference between taking ND as a partial and taking Texas as a partial is very different. The ACC "had" to take ND to show some strength in the realignment game. Now, with the GOR and everything appearing pretty stable for the next 10-12 years. The ACC has a better position so they don't necessarily have to take a partial. Also, by taking 2 partials, it makes it even more unlikely that the ACC could ever get both to join. It also leaves the other members of the B12 as easy pickings for the other conferences and allows them to solidify 16 equal teams while the ACC is left with 14 +2 "special" teams. Not a recipe for long term stability. Better for the ACC to let the B1G or SEC have the ego that is Texas (as a special or full member) and grab a Kansas/UCONN than create that kind of instability.
2. Texas, regardless of their current athletic issues is not sliding into irrelevancy. They still have the most money, great fan support, their network, and their pick of instate recruits (Manziel,RG3, and others would have all gone there if Mack was competent). They just need some competent leadership and they will be back on top and they will still have a conference that does whatever they want. Its in Texas's best interest to keep up the B12 because another conference won't pander to them like the B12. This above anything will keep Texas and the B12 "married" so long as the money keeps rolling in.
3. The B12 wont dissolve. Its more likely that it will poach members of the AAC and Mountain West than dissolve. I'm sure a combination of SMU,Houston,UNLV,Colorado State, Cincy, Boise, USF would jump at the chance to join the B12 particularly if there is more money.

Again, the scenario seems really far fetched and more like a WVU fan hijacked a ACC site.

Reaction Score
It is a fantasy post that will never happen.
Nelson I could see Texas going to the ACC along with West Virginia, UConn, Oklahoma, and Kansas, would create first super conference. Miami, Florida St, Oklahoma, Texas, top tier in football, Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame are good now, and you have a number of programs coming back to prominence. In basketball it would be the best conference ever Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, and Texas, Oklahoma, West Virginia, North Carolina St have been good.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can absolutely see Texas cutting a deal with the ACC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
and yet it would still be an upgrade.

Reaction Score
just about anything in CR would be "better" for UConn. Either a P4 confernece extends an invite or the remnants of the B12 and AAC (or at least some of them) create a conference. Anyone opposed to seeing a conference of UConn, Cincy, USF, Iowa State, WVU, K State, Baylor, TCU, UCF, Temple (and 2 others (ECU, Houston, Boise?)).

Reaction Score
I personally do not see a ND-type deal for Texas with the ACC. UT won't give up TLN, and, the ACC is in a lot better spot right now, than where they were 12 months ago.

Of course, CR is full of surprises, so, who knows what might occur?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Disagree with this statement. There is a group of fans that want the SEC, but many feel that the administration would not touch the SEC unless it's a last resort. The perception of the SEC is a win at all cost system and many universities who are aspiring to improve their academic standing want no part of that (Oklahoma has just received The Carnegie Designation). Land Thieves (Oklahoma Forum) has a realignment thread and many feel that the current administration would balk at the SEC. Similar things were stated by VTU people when the idea of them moving to the SEC came up as well.

Would they go to the Big 10 /Pac ?? over the SEC? I really don't know. None of us know what the administration is thinking. These movements are more than 5-10 year decisions and affect more than the football/basketball teams. Does the SEC provide for everything OU needs? That's the question that will be answered with this.

BTW - I think the Big12 is a dead conference walking.

dayooper

Reaction Score
just about anything in CR would be "better" for UConn. Either a P4 confernece extends an invite or the remnants of the B12 and AAC (or at least some of them) create a conference. Anyone opposed to seeing a conference of UConn, Cincy, USF, Iowa State, WVU, K State, Baylor, TCU, UCF, Temple (and 2 others (ECU, Houston, Boise?)).

I think the end game for UConn is the ACC and it would be a great fit.

Reaction Score
Disagree with this statement. There is a group of fans that want the SEC, but many feel that the administration would not touch the SEC unless it's a last resort. The perception of the SEC is a win at all cost system and many universities who are aspiring to improve their academic standing want no part of that (Oklahoma has just received The Carnegie Designation). Land Thieves (Oklahoma Forum) has a realignment thread and many feel that the current administration would balk at the SEC. Similar things were stated by VTU people when the idea of them moving to the SEC came up as well.

Would they go to the Big 10 /Pac ?? over the SEC? I really don't know. None of us know what the administration is thinking. These movements are more than 5-10 year decisions and affect more than the football/basketball teams. Does the SEC provide for everything OU needs? That's the question that will be answered with this.

BTW - I think the Big12 is a dead conference walking.

If it's good enough for Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Missouri, shouldn't it be good enough for Oklahoma as well?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He's joking right? Texas is on a slippery slope to irrelevance? Texas football can turn football ineptitude around every bit as quickly as UNC was able to turn basketball around when they canned Doherty.

The blogger also is taking a huge leap of faith in believing that Oklahoma and Kansas can free themselves from their in state counterparts (who happen to have state in their name). IIRC, this was an issue three years ago and played a large role in the salvation of the B-12.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If it's good enough for Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt and Missouri, shouldn't it be good enough for Oklahoma as well?

No, it's not. Florida, Georgia, and Vandy are all ingrained in the culture of not only the SEC, but the Deep South. They were SEC teams when the SEC was just another conference and not dominating the world. Florida is most definitely an SEC style school in that they stretch the boundaries of what is acceptable. The antics of Urban Meyer at Florida was celebrated while they were winning (covering up legal issues, ect). While Georgia may not participate in the fun (nor Florida has been under Muschamp), they still put football up on a pedestal above everything else. If UF, UGA, or Vandy ever left the SEC, there would be a revolt amongst their fans (and more importantly, their donators) to end all revolts.

Missouri? We really don't know what went down with the Big 10, but they sure seemed to be clamoring for one when Nebraska was admitted to the Big10. They thought they were to be left be behind if the Texhoma 6 went to form the Pac 16 (the reason why Nebraska bolted the Big12) and took what they thought was a lifeline with TAMU in the SEC. I wonder what would have happened if they had a choice.

Again, Oklahoma not wanting to associate with the SEC is not my idea. I thought they were SEC bound too. Many posters over at Land Thieves believe they are as well. There is a core group that believes, for whatever reason, that the administration will not go to the SEC unless it's a last resort. Who to believe? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom