Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway?

Reaction Score
We've suddenly become Rice.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Uconn football on the whole is better than Rice, imo. However, Uconn is in no position to rag on Rice when we are talking scheduling here, as Rice had Baylor on their schedule last season, and the last football game Rice played was against Stanford this season. Uconn could have had BC play in Hartford next November, but would have received far less money . Plus, look on the bright side, in the unlikely event that Uconn becomes more competitive with BC next November, and should actually pull off the upset they could legitimately claim they " beat BC in their home state ". Given where Uconn is right now with finances, the notion that a few Uconn fans would scoff at this negotiated deal.. and opportunity, is rather perplexing. That said, the Uconn Admin is fully excited for this payday and opportunity to redeem last season's blowout, shutout too. Uconn football can not be expected to keep getting shot after shot to be competitive, then actually beat BC in football, and yet not deliver on that given opportunity. Most Uconn football fans are as excited about this BC game at Fenway Park as the Uconn Admin. is, and as they should be... I think they have it about right too.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Beating BC in Massachusetts or Connecticut or on the moon doesn't really move the needle much.

You don't get plaudits for beating the likes of BC, Virginia, etc.

If the Fenway group wants to dangle $1.25M to hold the game at Fenway and if Boston College doesn't have enough leverage to get even a penny of it for themselves, take the cash.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When did Boston College all of a sudden become the duck king Yankees?

I think you'd be best advised to slow your roll there, Yawkey. BC is not so far removed from being winless in conference for a full calendar year in the sports that mean something, and it would not be a complete shock if UConn won in November. Also remember that after the Fenway game, UConn and BC play another home and home in '22 and '23. Fortunes in football for the two programs could most definitely reverse.

Reaction Score
This is the far more likely scenario. I'll be contributing my share for the team
15,000 uconn fans at $25/ticket = $375k
if 8,000 fans average 4 beers each at $10 = $320k

Include hot dogs, water, nachos, sausage and peppers, pretzels, popcorn,soda, hot chocolate, etc, etc, etc. and they might make more off concessions than ticket prices.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score

Include hot dogs, water, nachos, sausage and peppers, pretzels, popcorn,soda, hot chocolate, etc, etc, etc. and they might make more off concessions than ticket prices.

That's why, we joke, but I'm pretty certain we get the $1+M as consideration for moving the game, and get the 22k tickets to sell/distribute through normal ticket sales procedures on top.

Reaction Score
22k @ $50 per ticket gets you to $1.125m? To increase that # either we raise the average seat price or get a piece of other revenue streams. 22k being the big IF and assuming UConn fans purchase through the official allocation.

Either way the $1.125 takes a chunk out of the debacle debacle we got ourselves into and is one option to move forward financially and immediately. Benedict is cleaning up the mess he was handed and moving ahead at the same time on the coaching front. Wish we had better options than to move this particular game but what will give us the most options moving forward is winning football. That may take some time but we'll see a better prepared team eventually.

Reaction Score
Wonder if 22K have to be sold by certain date or go back to the Fenway group for them to sell.

Reaction Score
You don't get plaudits for beating the likes of BC

Are you kidding ? Uconn's whole quest in upgrading their football program was to someday replace BC as the dominent college football program in all of New England... and once having attained that benchmark, to outrecruit BC in football, solidify that superior position in Football in N.E., and then branch out from there on the East Coast. Uconn has never beaten BC in football... ever. If Uconn was ever to beat BC in football, it would be a watershed moment for the football program, particularly as it relates to BC, that on the whole has dominated N.E. College football for half a century now. I don't even think the majority of Uconn football fans share your view that beating BC in football at some future day would " not generate plaudits ". Of course it would.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding ? Uconn's whole quest in upgrading their football program was to someday replace BC as the dominent college football program in all of New England... and once having attained that benchmark, to outrecruit BC in football, solidify that superior position in Football in N.E., and then branch out from there on the East Coast. Uconn has never beaten BC in football... ever. If Uconn was ever to beat BC in football, it would be a watershed moment for the football program, particularly as it relates to BC, that on the whole has dominated N.E. College football for half a century now. I don't even think the majority of Uconn football fans share your view that beating BC in football at some future day would " not generate plaudits ". Of course it would.

BC saw what was coming once the playing field was leveled, and quickly moved to un-level it.

Reaction Score

UCONN doesn't get concession or parking money

Reaction Score
Fortunes in football for the two programs could most definitely reverse.
True. Anythings possible. Nobody's crystal ball is any better than anyone elses. To that extent, I have no idea what the 2 programs will look like 7-8 years down the road after this November's game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

UConn upgrading football had zero to do with Boston College. Nothing UConn has ever done has had anything to do with Boston College.

What world do you live in?

Reaction Score
UConn upgrading football had zero to do with Boston College. Nothing UConn has ever done has had anything to do with Boston College.

What world do you live in?
The world of Lew Perkins who once verbally expressed this goal of Uconn football to me at a meeting we both were at. I recognize that Uconn's decision to move to BE status in football was multifacted, but you might have been out of the loop perhaps that one of Uconn's goals was what I just posted.

Reaction Score
BC saw what was coming once the playing field was leveled, and quickly moved to un-level it.
Agreed. That said, Uconn's inability to ever beat BC in football is not BC's fault. its also not BC's fault that BC decided a decade earlier than Uconn to move to play with the Big Boys in football. Uconn waited too long to commit to the move up. That was their choice. Holy Cross decided not to move up at all. Thats their choice too. BC had nothing to do with these school's choices made. Who knows, had Uconn decided earlier to upgrade, they might have surpassed BC in football by now, nobody knows. But the 2 schools are where they are right now, relative to one another, based upon decisions made a long time ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. That said, Uconn's inability to ever beat BC in football is not BC's fault.

No, but the two programs were never competing on a level playing field (if they were, it was for one season). BC's administration knew what would happen to their program if they had to compete with a UConn program with equal resources in an equal conference.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
True. Anythings possible. Nobody's crystal ball is any better than anyone elses. To that extent, I have no idea what the 2 programs will look like 7-8 years down the road after this November's game.
7-8 years from now will be 1-2 years after the second leg of the two scheduled home and "homes."

Reaction Score
No, but the two programs were never competing on a level playing field (if they were, it was for one season). BC's administration knew what would happen to their program if they had to compete with a UConn program with equal resources in an equal conference.
There would never be an " equal " in lots of things.. including admissions of prospective recruits. Uconn could conceivably bring thru admissions football recruits that BC football Coaches could not. So its acknowledged the advantage that Uconn would have.... while simultaneously acknowledging that BC had history on its side, and appeal of playing on campus, and in a great world class city for 4 years. So each school always would have their intrinsic advantages and disadvantages, as one is a comparatively smallish Private, Catholic University, the other a large, Public University.

Reaction Score
By the way, the irony that 10+ years ago, the ACC takes BC as their footprint into the Northeast and now we are hosting them at Fenway Park in Boston, MA.
Yes. So this division that we are reading here between Uconn football fans on whether this " home game " for Uconn has benefits to Uconn playing in Boston does seem perplexing. Uconn gives up home field adavantage to play on a neutral site, but is afforded a fabulous payday it desperately needs for the Diaco mishire, and gets one more opportunity to show the world it can finally be competitive with BC in football. Uconn will have more butts in the seats at Fenway Park for this game than BC will too. Whats not to like with such a deal ? Win the friggin' game, and all the whiners here on this deal disappear in a heartbeat too, imo.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The world of Lew Perkins who once verbally expressed this goal of Uconn football to me at a meeting we both were at. I recognize that Uconn's decision to move to BE status in football was multifacted, but you might have been out of the loop perhaps that one of Uconn's goals was what I just posted.

Ah, no.

Les wanted to upgrade because he knew the split was coming between the football schools and non-football schools.

In the dozen or so meetings that the two of us attended regarding the Friends of UConn Football, Boston College was not mentioned once....but you were out of that loop.

Reaction Score
Ah, no.

Les wanted to upgrade because he knew the split was coming between the football schools and non-football schools.

In the dozen or so meetings that the two of us attended regarding the Friends of UConn Football, Boston College was not mentioned once....but you were out of that loop.
Maybe he expressed his remarks more candidly when we met, knowing your antipathy toward BC, and did not share what he told me, with you. Thats possible. The lawsuit by Blumenthal, )whom I also met at a wedding reception in CT and spoke with also on this), also demonstrates quite clearly Uconn's concerns with getting to the level of BC as a major, major driving force for Uconn football's goal and what drove them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom