Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway? | The Boneyard

Blaudschun: UConn Switching BC Home Game to Fenway?

Reaction Score
Well... there goes the Dave Benedict "lovefest" if true ;)

>>In a classic case of ‘follow the money” administration, the University of Connecticut is giving up its home field advantage next season against Boston College to play a game against Boston College at Fenway Park.

According to sources at Boston College, the Huskies are moving the Nov. 18 game from the Huskies’ Rentschler Field site to host BC in another “”football at Fenway”’ show, which was first revived last season when Notre Dame played a “home game” against Boston College at Fenway.

Why the Huskies’ would give up what would be a decidedly home edge at Rentschler for a game five miles from the BC campus is just as perplexing as why BC would play Notre Dame in Boston.

The ironic part of this tale is that Notre Dame had an agreement to play UCONN at Fenway last season, but was nudged out because BC was afraid of being upstaged in its own city (home area) if it played a home game at Alumni Stadium at the same time that UConn and Notre Dame were meeting five miles down the road. So the Eagles made a power play and bumped UConn from the game. That problem could have been avoided, of course, if BC had simply asked the ACC to either give the Eagles a bye that week or schedule them in a road game. BC decided that playing a “road” game that close to campus at a Stadium where their fans only had access to 5,000 tickets was better than letting Notre Dame and another team have a spotlight game in Boston.

UConn’s decision to move its home game to Boston makes little sense from a competitive sense, but according to sources familiar with the situation, the guaranteed money to UConn the Fenway Group, which is staging the game, is paying UConn significantly more money to play the game in Boston.

And the bottom line for a school that is feeling a financial crunch such as UConn is money, which is why this deal has been made

Barring any last minute complications, an official announcement on the game is expected to be made in the next few days.<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fine by me. Make it an annual game. If Georgia and Florida can play in Jacksonville every year and Texas and Oklahoma can play at the State Fair every year, certainly Boston College and UConn can play in Fenway every year.

Reaction Score
Stinks to lose a home game vs BC. Its still a manageable game to get to and it seems UConn got a solid amount of money for doing so. Maybe there are some uncommitted locals who would love to suit up for a game at Fenway?

Reaction Score
Look -- I live in Fairfield, so obviously I would much rather the game be at the Rent for personal as well as competitive reasons.

That being said, we can't on the one hand recognize how dangerous our non P-5 position is and, on the other, criticize every move our administrators make to generate money and publicity. So as long as UConn season ticket holders get to purchase the game in their package, I will not complain about it and will go.

Benedict is earning our trust. We need to give it to him and see what he can do.

Reaction Score
Look at it this way: We needed to fund the Diaco buyout somehow, and this is a perfect way to 1) add instant revenue via the guaranteed revenue and 2) cut operating costs from having the game day at the Rent.

Most years I would be pissed. But if we're able to beat BC, why not do it right in Boston?

Reaction Score
Look at it this way: We needed to fund the Diaco buyout somehow, and this is a perfect way to 1) add instant revenue via the guaranteed revenue and 2) cut operating costs from having the game day at the Rent.

Most years I would be pissed. But if we're able to beat BC, why not do it right in Boston?

That's a great point. It is absolutely possible that the economic impact of the Diaco firing and assistant salaries required this. A trade I would make.

Reaction Score
Look -- I live in Fairfield, so obviously I would much rather the game be at the Rent for personal as well as competitive reasons.

That being said, we can't on the one hand recognize how dangerous our non P-5 position is and, on the other, criticize every move our administrators make to generate money and publicity. So as long as UConn season ticket holders get to purchase the game in their package, I will not complain about it and will go.

Benedict is earning our trust. We need to give it to him and see what he can do.

I don't disagree... I'm just waiting for the annual stamp their feet "they can't do that to the taxpayors/season ticket holders" crowd. It's already started on Twitter.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
By getting rid of Diaco and bringing in HCRE and now OCRL we must have spent quite a few bucks this offseason.

It really sucks we don't get them at PAWS ARF, but I think as UConn Football fans, we don't really have a leg to stand on given what the administration has done this offseason.

Reaction Score

thinking the same thing.
if this is an invoice for the coaching change and getting a solid staff, so be it.

if you gripe when the school/administration isn't going all in to win, you have to support when they are.
hopefully people do with the purchase of tickets.

I really hope this team beats expectations this year. for the kids, the fans, and the coaches.
We're overdue for some positive on-field excitement.

Reaction Score
no problem at all either. the bar scene will be much better at Fenway too. Plus, there were so many UConn fans at the BC game last year, I think we show up again

Reaction Score
Damn, I was thinking about this game in the shower this morning and the home schedule in general.

But oh well, if it helps pays the bills, while not thrilled I can live with it. Too bad they couldn't just add another BC home game at a later date.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
First tangible sign of G5 reality. I don't like it, but I understand it sort of.

Fenway holds about the same as the Rent, a little less actually. Someone needs to help me with the math. Is what UConn is being paid that much more than the potential gate receipts?

Does this guarantee a good TV spot for the game?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd venture a guess that season ticket holders will be accommodated first and I for one am definitely looking into going to this game. I haven't been to Fenway in 8 years, but there is no tailgating and parking around the Fens is gawdawful.

I doubt my old "free" spot for the Red Sox is still available too. So it looks like brown bagging it on the T until we get to Copperfields or something (if that place is still around).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom