Blaudschun Dig At Susan Herbst | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun Dig At Susan Herbst

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
You think it's a mess because you think it is so important. UConn doesn't have to be U of Chi or Yale. UConn actually has sports last I looked. I don't like the new league, but seeing it as a mess is way overstating the case. Believe it or not, in the bad old days when I was a student and UConn's big rivals were UMass and URI, we actually got jacked up about the games. The conference is what it is and you and I might just have to make the best of it for a long time. You can always stop frequenting the sports board if UConn doesn't vie for national championships.

if sports were not important then michigan, uva, vandy, texas and everyone else wouldn't give a dam. the ivy's after everything that happened the past 40 years in college sports still play college sports at a d1 level. your mentally not capable of understanding sports and its relationships to schools at this point it seems. stick to the cesspool and the womens board i guess. sorry.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
if sports were not important then michigan, uva, vandy, texas and everyone else wouldn't give a dam. the ivy's after everything that happened the past 40 years in college sports still play college sports at a d1 level. your mentally not capable of understanding sports and its relationships to schools at this point it seems. stick to the cesspool and the womens board i guess. sorry.

Actually, I suspect I understand these things better than you do. Just not obsessed. Vandy and UVA are not exactly national title contenders for anything that "big time" sports fans notice. I have a son who went to U of M. I know where UConn stands and the part sports can play in a national reputation. I also know that schools build academic reputations for reasons unrelated to sports. I know that at least 75% of the teams in the so-called big 4 will never win a national football title and that UConn has a decent chance of remaining near the top in hoops nationally in the new conference. I don't like the new league because there isn't a single opponent that excites me. That doesn't mean UConn disappears from view.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Actually, I suspect I understand these things better than you do. Just not obsessed. Vandy and UVA are not exactly national title contenders for anything that "big time" sports fans notice. I have a son who went to U of M. I know where UConn stands and the part sports can play in a national reputation. I also know that schools build academic reputations for reasons unrelated to sports. I know that at least 75% of the teams in the so-called big 4 will never win a national football title and that UConn has a decent chance of remaining near the top in hoops nationally in the new conference. I don't like the new league because there isn't a single opponent that excites me. That doesn't mean UConn disappears from view.

what are you talking about?

we went from having a sports program or not to competing for national ships???!?!!?!?!?!??!

even way back when the ivys and u of chitown had sports and hats how they built the reputation in academics they had today. just years ago before you were alive so you don't believe it.

vandy may not be a ncaa title contender in fball or bball but they are nationally relevant. there bball team can make a run and win it just like uconn or butler can any given year and thats just the truth. they play sec football. end of story.

when on this earth was the last time you heard someone up here say they are going to elon or sewanee? its rare.it happens but its rare. when else do you hear those names? never is the answer. meanwhile vandy you hear of all the time. they are on tv and they have money to recruit the region for students and sports players. because of sports.

you just don't understand. if uconn drops sports they become irrelevant besides jokes from bc fans and the private schools in the northeast knock uconn down academically also. uconn doesn't just continue to rise. the whole thing, academics, research, the town everything here is built on sports. all those new apps and great sat scores uconn numbers wise is so impressive with choses a private school instead to go to. uconn can't survive without sports and high level ones at that. the infrastructure, endowment and things like that are not built up over 100 years. were 25 years flash in the pan still. what dont you get about that? last fall was the most fragile time every for uconn. we didn't fire the football coach and the ad got caught drinking with wake forest(who is the prime example for the acc not being a power league) and the president got caught with her pants down trying to be the bad guy in the room. its a mess.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. It is a mess. We now have bonafide outcomes to back that up.

2. It is important by definition because there is a tremendous level of interest in college sports. It may not be productive,wise, or frugal, but it sure as heck is important.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Cohen... Are you trying to minimize the importance of UConn sports... On a UConn sports board? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Reaction Score
I can't say I disagree with his assessment of Susan Herbst when it comes to athletics. She neither knows nor cares as long as it doesn't cause embarrassment (Calhoun would have been out on his butt when the Nate Miles story broke, especially after Laptopgate had she been President). If she's calling the shots in the AAC, we're going to be closer to the CAA than the Big 10 in 5 years. I've heard from a couple of reliable sources that she was the one who pushed for/demanded Tulane because she wanted to have an academic "equal" to balance out some of the glorified community colleges (Memphis, East Carolina, Houston) the league will be stuck with in the future. She seems to be doing a fine job on the academic side, but the athletic side is in free fall. And her rock star AD is turning into a mill stone.

Reaction Score
I can't say I disagree with his assessment of Susan Herbst when it comes to athletics. She neither knows nor cares as long as it doesn't cause embarrassment (Calhoun would have been out on his butt when the Nate Miles story broke, especially after Laptopgate had she been President). If she's calling the shots in the AAC, we're going to be closer to the CAA than the Big 10 in 5 years. I've heard from a couple of reliable sources that she was the one who pushed for/demanded Tulane because she wanted to have an academic "equal" to balance out some of the glorified community colleges (Memphis, East Carolina, Houston) the league will be stuck with in the future. She seems to be doing a fine job on the academic side, but the athletic side is in free fall. And her rock star AD is turning into a mill stone.
I'll give you credit: for a troll, you're pretty creative.

Hey, wait, no you're not. It's the same s*** every time.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Calhoun would have been out on his butt when the Nate Miles story broke, especially after Laptopgate had she been President

Wow. I have heard of fortune tellers, but you can go back in time and predict an alternate future? Holy Sh&t that is impressive!!!

(unless you are just talking out of your as usual)

Reaction Score
I'll give you credit: for a troll, you're pretty creative.

Hey, wait, no you're not. It's the same s* every time.
Oh yeah, you're right. The AAC is a great place to be. And Susan did say we want to winningly win. Can you honestly say that Athletics is getting better in the Herbst-Manuel regime?

Say what you will about Jeff Hathaway, On his watch UConn won multiple NCAA Championships in mens and womens basketball, upgraded the football program, went to multiple bowls including a BCS bowl, went to a super-regional in baseball, become the only program to win national Championships in mens and womens basketball. I think, though I am not sure, fastest program to get to a BCS bowl from upgrade to 1AA. When you look at the performance and not the person it isn't too shabby. Far better than the Rock Star has done. I have a sense that he might have just been there too long and had lost his fire,and he was as I said a nasty, petty miserable little man. But he certainly ran a successful department where he had to balance a couple of huge egos. Warde on the other hand, got played embarrassingly by one and ticked off the other one before having to back down.

Reaction Score
Wow. I have heard of fortune tellers, but you can go back in time and predict an alternate future? Holy Sh&t that is impressive!!!

(unless you are just talking out of your as usual)
Ok let's re-phase: It is my opinion that if Susan Herbst had been President, Calhoun would have been out on his after the Nate Mile fiasco given all the other things that preceded it.
OK?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Ok let's re-phase: It is my opinion that if Susan Herbst had been President, Calhoun would have been out on his after the Nate Mile fiasco given all the other things that preceded it.
OK?

So, you are going with talkin out of your as usual.

Cool.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
That's fair. Uconn sports is dying. Uconn academics are going great and rising.

You tell me how many of you guys are going to keep coming to this site to talk about the English department and the math test next Friday?
Really, do you have to be as big an ? We should all be proud of the academics so just stop it. Rant all you want about our part in CR but academics is what we are all about in the first place. At least for those of us who actually went to UConn.

$25 bucks in the DB jar for you.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Huskyfan, I'm on the road and no time right now to punch your silliness full of holes. That will come later. Based on how you fail in logic, I'll guess I followed UConn sports before your parents were born. Suffice to say that by your logic UConn is about to totally fall off the sports scene, which it isn't, and membership in a high level sports conference is what makes schools like Vandy and UVA academic powerhouses even if they aren't sports powerhouses. Dumb.

Reaction Score

I think U. Cal. San Diego isn't fretting where they stand in the sports world. There are others.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Say what you will about Jeff Hathaway, On his watch UConn won multiple NCAA Championships in mens and womens basketball, upgraded the football program, went to multiple bowls including a BCS bowl, went to a super-regional in baseball, become the only program to win national Championships in mens and womens basketball. I think, though I am not sure, fastest program to get to a BCS bowl from upgrade to 1AA. When you look at the performance and not the person it isn't too shabby. Far better than the Rock Star has done. I have a sense that he might have just been there too long and had lost his fire,and he was as I said a nasty, petty miserable little man. But he certainly ran a successful department where he had to balance a couple of huge egos. Warde on the other hand, got played embarrassingly by one and ticked off the other one before having to back down.
Do you realize that every rational observer of these events who has even passing familiarity with them reports that UConn achieved those stunning accomplishments in spite of Hathaway's incompetence, not because of it? And that he has been roundly faulted by his peers and colleagues in all corners for doing remarkably little if anything to capitalize on these amazing accomplishments, when he was in prime position on committees, etc. with every opportunity to do so? By all reports, the guy simply blew it. He liked attending meetings and being on committees simply for his own benefit, and did the least possible with the most one could expect. He was way, way out of his depth, and colleagues and peers from lesser institutions with far less impressive resumes ate his lunch, while he was out to lunch.

Reaction Score
There were many other other students that got caught stealing laptops at UConn that year. Laptop stealing is an epidemic. Everyone carries one around, and there are apparently some on each campus willing to snag one (a lot more when you consider how many get away with it). I doubt Herbst changes the face of the university because of a pretty common occurrence. That would be beyond absurd.

What did Calhoun do wrong there anyway freescooter? Are you suggesting that Calhoun stop recruiting suburban kids from upper middle class families with parents who both graduated from the Ivy League?

Reaction Score
I've heard from a couple of reliable sources that she was the one who pushed for/demanded Tulane because she wanted to have an academic "equal" to balance out some of the glorified community colleges (Memphis, East Carolina, Houston) the league will be stuck with in the future.

Psst, Scooter - your sources are suspect :)

>>Hitt (UCF President) sent a text message to Aresco about Tulane’s interest in the Big East, according to records obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

“Scott Cowen at Tulane wants to talk with me about possibilities for Tulane in the Big East. Scott is a friend. Will listen and then call you. John,” Hitt wrote to Aresco on Nov. 18.

Aresco responded, “Great, John, their AD, Rick Dixon, is an old friend and he called this afternoon.

They are extremely interested. This would be a big one for us, important market, great school academically, and Scott would be in our tent on the BCS revenue share matter we have to deal with as well as other things. He’s a bulldog and very sharp. Keep me posted. Thanks, Mike.”<<

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74204586/

Reaction Score
WTF is going on? ..............can we have sean and FriarJ give us their thoughts on this situation please, it has to be more optimistic than a couple of so-called UConn fans who throw their usual 2 cents in on these subjects............whacked!:eek:

Reaction Score
Psst, Scooter - your sources are suspect :)

>>Hitt (UCF President) sent a text message to Aresco about Tulane’s interest in the Big East, according to records obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

“Scott Cowen at Tulane wants to talk with me about possibilities for Tulane in the Big East. Scott is a friend. Will listen and then call you. John,” Hitt wrote to Aresco on Nov. 18.

Aresco responded, “Great, John, their AD, Rick Dixon, is an old friend and he called this afternoon.

They are extremely interested. This would be a big one for us, important market, great school academically, and Scott would be in our tent on the BCS revenue share matter we have to deal with as well as other things. He’s a bulldog and very sharp. Keep me posted. Thanks, Mike.”<<

http://touch.orlandosentinel.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-74204586/
First off, that UCF wanted Tulane too doesn't mean she didn't. Anmd UConn was one of the powers left in the conference...nobody was joining without UConn's at least tacit approval. And Herbst wanted at least some schools that wouldn't be embarrassing academically. I have to believe when she talks about "our equals", she isn't talking Memphis. At least I pray she isn't!

Reaction Score
First off, that UCF wanted Tulane too doesn't mean she didn't. Anmd UConn was one of the powers left in the conference...nobody was joining without UConn's at least tacit approval. And Herbst wanted at least some schools that wouldn't be embarrassing academically. I have to believe when she talks about "our equals", she isn't talking Memphis. At least I pray she isn't!
I don't even think UConn was involved in the voting process on Tulane. You're completely making s*** up again.

Reaction Score
There were many other other students that got caught stealing laptops at UConn that year. Laptop stealing is an epidemic. Everyone carries one around, and there are apparently some on each campus willing to snag one (a lot more when you consider how many get away with it). I doubt Herbst changes the face of the university because of a pretty common occurrence. That would be beyond absurd.

What did Calhoun do wrong there anyway freescooter? Are you suggesting that Calhoun stop recruiting suburban kids from upper middle class families with parents who both graduated from the Ivy League?
What did he do wrong? How about let Williams back on the basketball team for the 2nd half of the 2005-06 season? He was suspended for December...Good grief, he missed all those tough games against Fairfield and Texas Southern or somebody...And Price didn't miss a single game because of this incident. Did you know that? Not 1. He didn't get medical clearance to return until MAY 2006, AFTER the 2006 season ended.Go back and look it up. He was back on the court for the start of the 2006-07 season. His "punishment" was laughable. So his suspension was co-terminus with his inability to play. Like telling your 15 year old you'r taking away his drivers license until he turns 16. And please don't tell me they were also kicked out of the dorms...LOL. That whole incident was Jim Calhoun's absolute lowest point in his entire tenure. Worse than Miles by a long shot. Maybe she doesn't fire him over that, but I also think that neither Williams nor Price would get off virtually without penalty.

Reaction Score
What did he do wrong? How about let Williams back on the basketball team for the 2nd half of the 2005-06 season? He was suspended for December...Good grief, he missed all those tough games against Fairfield and Texas Southern or somebody...And Price didn't miss a single game because of this incident. Did you know that? Not 1. He didn't get medical clearance to return until MAY 2006, AFTER the 2006 season ended.Go back and look it up. He was back on the court for the start of the 2006-07 season. His "punishment" was laughable. So his suspension was co-terminus with his inability to play. Like telling your 15 year old you'r taking away his drivers license until he turns 16. And please don't tell me they were also kicked out of the dorms...LOL. That whole incident was Jim Calhoun's absolute lowest point in his entire tenure. Worse than Miles by a long shot. Maybe she doesn't fire him over that, but I also think that neither Williams nor Price would get off virtually without penalty.

Your timeline is off. The laptop incident happened the previous year. It was investigated in the early summer. Marcus Williams was suspended FROM school for one semester. As I wrote, this was the decision of the faculty board BECAUSE it was in line with all the suspensions the other students received. As for AJ Price, we was suspended for an entire YEAR, and his illness was from 2 years earlier. It was concurrent. That's life.

I get a kick over people who are incensed by property theft. Your punishments for this sort of thing are draconian.

Reaction Score
I don't even think UConn was involved in the voting process on Tulane. You're completely making s* up again.
Huh? Come on. Apparently nobody was involved. At least nobody was willing to admit it. All the Catholics deny voting for them too. So UConn didn't, they didn't, Cincy didn't. Yet somehow they're there. Unless Central Florida, who wasn't even officially a member at the time, decided to admit them. Yeah, that's what happened. Or I guess the other option was they just showed up and refused to leave?

Reaction Score
Your timeline is off. The laptop incident happened the previous year. It was investigated in the early summer. Marcus Williams was suspended FROM school for one semester. As I wrote, this was the decision of the faculty board BECAUSE it was in line with all the suspensions the other students received. As for AJ Price, we was suspended for an entire YEAR, and his illness was from 2 years earlier. It was concurrent. That's life.

I get a kick over people who are incensed by property theft. Your punishments for this sort of thing are draconian.
You don't get it, clearly. Yeah, I'm sure both Williams and AJ Price were really upset about being suspended form school. If they were suspended from school but could have still played hoops they'd have taken that deal in a NY second. And you know what? I'm fine with the University suspending them for comparable times as others. Seems fair to me. But the next question is what did Calhoun do? They got zero "basketball" punishment. He was not a student in the fall of 2005 so he couldn't play anyway. Here's the difference between the current administration and the old regime. Wolf was suspended from basketball for half a semester and is allowed to return to the team as a walk on. Neither Williams nor Price suffered any basketball consequences for their actions. And again, AJ Price didn't miss 1 single basketball game, not one, because of this incident. Zero. Look it up. He got clearance to return to basketball in May 2006, after the 2006 season ended and before the 2006-07 season began. "Son, I'm taking away your driver's license until you turn 16...and by golly we won't allow you to eat broccoli either " that's what happened to Price. I know you will deny it but facts are stubborn things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom