Blake Harris | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Blake Harris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There is some concern Ollie may not have the luxury of long term if next year is similar to this past year.

Ollie isn't worried about not having long term or he wouldn't have shaken up the staff. But I'm sure he'll be interested in your concern that he couldn't afford to take the small step back he thought he needed to to move forwardl

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think next year is make or break for Ollie. If it is, given what's happened over the past month, he's basically a dead man walking.

He has a couple of seasons - it won't be easy, though. He doesn't have a heck of a lot to work with right now, but in hoop, two or three players can turn fortunes around.

Reaction Score
I don't think next year is make or break for Ollie. If it is, given what's happened over the past month, he's basically a dead man walking.

He has a couple of seasons - it won't be easy, though. He doesn't have a heck of a lot to work with right now, but in hoop, two or three players can turn fortunes around.

I disagree. Another less then 500 season and i hear ollie is out. New AD is pissed and wants results yesterday

Reaction Score
I disagree. Another less then 500 season and i hear ollie is out. New AD is pissed and wants results yesterday
Not that I doubt you, but then I don't see why they wouldn't fire him now. As Fishy said, in that case he's a dead man walking. Because given this situation there's very little chance of him having a good year next year

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not that I doubt you, but then I don't see why they wouldn't fire him now. As Fishy said, in that case he's a dead man walking. Because given this situation there's very little chance of him having a good year next year
agreed, what did the AD want Ollie to do last year? suit up himself with moore and Kfreeman? I dont see how you can expect 30 wins next season as it stands now

Reaction Score
The thing is neither we nor the AD now how next yr will play out. We cant assume, he may do his best coachng job to date nxt yr and really exceed expectations. Benedict is doing the smart thing. See what ollie is made of

Reaction Score
agreed, what did the AD want Ollie to do last year? suit up himself with moore and Kfreeman? I dont see how you can expect 30 wins next season as it stands now
Not 30 wins lol. Just a tournament birth

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not 30 wins lol. Just a tournament birth
right but if the roster stays as it's almost like last season. not as bad if everyone is healthy

Reaction Score
It's more than just having a couple players injured for the whole season last year, I wish it wasn't but it is. 30 wins? 20 would be a minor miracle with what we have now.

Reaction Score
The thing is neither we nor the AD now how next yr will play out. We cant assume, he may do his best coachng job to date nxt yr and really exceed expectations. Benedict is doing the smart thing. See what ollie is made of
To be clear I don't want Ollie gone and think he should get some time to turn this around. But I'm just not a fan of these 1 year ultimatums of perform or you're gone. Sure they work out, but it seems like just as often the coach is gone and now you're just setting back the rebuild

Reaction Score
Honestly, even with just a healthy alterique, larrier and Adams with some other leftover pieces we should have enough to make the tournament.

I just don't know if Ollie is good enough at coaching non-elite talent yet. He can obviously work with highly rated recruits and guard (Adams, Hamilton etc), but no projects have really panned out yet.

Put a Greg Marshall with our starting five and I see a 20-22 win team in the AAC.

Ollie is still young, coaching is a learning process. Let's hope both he and the players out in the work this summer.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Honestly, even with just a healthy alterique, larrier and Adams with some other leftover pieces we should have enough to make the tournament.

I just don't know if Ollie is good enough at coaching non-elite talent yet. He can obviously work with highly rated recruits and guard (Adams, Hamilton etc), but no projects have really panned out yet.

Put a Greg Marshall with our starting five and I see a 20-22 win team in the AAC.

Ollie is still young, coaching is a learning process. Let's hope both he and the players out in the work this summer.
Idk if Marshall could coach a team this young. Seems Ollie focuses more on defense for the majority of the season then works offensively with young players. Defense is the hardest to adjust to for new players

Reaction Score
Idk if Marshall could coach a team this young. Seems Ollie focuses more on defense for the majority of the season then works offensively with young players. Defense is the hardest to adjust to for new players

You're right. I just couldn't really think of any good comp. but there are plenty of coaches that are good at coaching up less talented players--early career Calhoun for one.

Ollie seems more suited to sculpting talent rather than making bringing out the best in lower rated guys. That doesn't work unless we GET that talent.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There is some concern Ollie may not have the luxury of long term if next year is similar to this past year.
Next year will be similar to this year.

Reaction Score
Marshall's team was fairly young this season, none of the best players were seniors. The point guard and arguably their best player was a redshirt freshman.

Reaction Score

Then shut the doors on UConn sports because the new AD is a yokel dokel moron.

And in retrospect, after all the years of what UConn has endured, he'll be the third dud in a row as a AD. Which will be the big tell on the future of UConn sports.

Reaction Score

And in retrospect, after all the years of what UConn has endured, he'll be the third dud in a row as a AD. Which will be the big tell on the future of UConn sports.
KO can't build a program and we can't see uconn basketball fade into irrelevance. Under .500 record and I agree Ollie is out. He needs to least have a chance to get 20 wins and fighting for a tourney birth even if he doesn't get It. KO has all his people now so it is his time to succeed or move on. I like that are new AD isn't settling for medicrocity. If he can be over .500 and put a consistently good product that can compete with the top aac teams and not get blown out he will get some more time to prove himself.

I'm glad he won with Calhouns results but he needs to learn to build a viable program which he is surely not showing signs he can do it.

Reaction Score

If we we wipe the condensation off the mirror, it's fairly easy to see the future of UConn athletics. This board's view of our future is like my view on my hairline. I really don't think I am thining or that I am pulling it off but my 3 year old then reminds me how I am going bald. In this case, the ADs hands are tied. If the cupboard is bare now, what will the roster look like if Ollie was suddenly fired?

Reaction Score
If we we wipe the condensation off the mirror, it's fairly easy to see the future of UConn athletics. This board's view of our future is like my view on my hairline. I really don't think I am thining or that I am pulling it off but my 3 year old then reminds me how I am going bald. In this case, the ADs hands are tied. If the cupboard is bare now, what will the roster look like if Ollie was suddenly fired?

This is the trouble with ADs. They are paid handsomely. But they don't really have to stick around to view the long-term damage. They are most often short-termers at most schools. They just want to stick in their jobs as long as possible, or leave for better jobs. Like most people. Long term health of the program? No. The previous 2 ADs were not go-getters, not in the least. And here we are with someone that apparently knows a great deal about football, which is good. Basketball? Remains to be seen.

My fear is a never-ending string of Jim Christian types moving in. Who is Cornell's current coach?

Reaction Score
Appears I'm in the minority but I was expecting the results of the Chillious hire to come next year, when you know, he has a full year to recruit these kids

That's not unreasonable in a vacuum, but it speaks to the pattern that has developed here of kicking the can down the road.

Can't expect Ollie to reel in 2014 kids when it's only been his program a year.

Can't expect Ollie to reel in 2015 kids because we're still dealing with the sanctions.

Now, after the worst season in 30 years, we can't expect him to reel in 2017 kids - after already having lost half is roster and his top commit - because his associate head coach hasn't had time to recruit them?

It can't work both ways. If you're going to overhaul the program after a bad year, then you need to have a contingency plan that works on an accelerated timetable. I'm personally not distraught about losing Harris (it was unlikely a 3 star type was going to drastically change our fortunes next year), but if we don't bring in some horses soon - like grad transfers, who everybody has had time to recruit for the same amount of time - then he owes answers. And I'm not worried about him giving answers to people like me. I'm worried about him answering to his all-American junior point guard who believed in him but has watched the program around him mangled for all three years. That guy deserves better. He deserves a shot. Right now he's not getting it.

Reaction Score
That's not unreasonable in a vacuum, but it speaks to the pattern that has developed here of kicking the can down the road.

Can't expect Ollie to reel in 2015 kids because we're still dealing with the sanctions.

Now, after the worst season in 30 years, we can't expect him to reel in 2017 kids - after already having lost half is roster and his top commit - because his associate head coach hasn't had time to recruit them?

It can't work both ways. If you're going to overhaul the program after a bad year, then you need to have a contingency plan that works on an accelerated timetable. I'm personally not distraught about losing Harris (it was unlikely a 3 star type was going to drastically change our fortunes next year), but if we don't bring in some horses soon - like grad transfers, who everybody has had time to recruit for the same amount of time - then he owes answers. And I'm not worried about him giving answers to people like me. I'm worried about him answering to his all-American junior point guard who believed in him but has watched the program around him mangled for all three years. That guy deserves better. He deserves a shot. Right now he's not getting it.
I would take it further. Ollie and staff are in the same exact position as everyone regarding transfers and decommits. If Ollie, Chill and Kill are studs, they should be able to win these battles.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
As much as I like our lineup of guards, especially if we can get a 3pt shooter this spring, I am still expecting a mid-pack finish in the AAC. That'll mean the season will come down to the OOC performance and AACT - like usual since 2014.

I don't like those odds, but I think this is a realistic expectation for the way Ollie's teams play from November to February.

Reaction Score

I don't think I would disagree with any of this. But I think you're missing my point, I'm not saying KO deserves a pass on this recruiting class for any of the reasons you stated, he doesn't deserve a pass at all. But some people (not saying it was you) seemed to think we'd hire Chillious and he'd have 5* guys commiting here for next year already. I'm not excusing Ollie on this recruiting class, but to expect Chillious to come in and have results in a few weeks is shortsighted. Not saying that was you, but I've seen multiple people already calling that hire a failure which is absurd.

Maybe it's the eternal optimist in me, but I'm not all that worried about next year. For the first time in a while we're bringing back our best player. The situation around him is far from ideal, but it helps to have a little bit of certainty knowing that the team runs through Jalen early next year. Still enough time to bring in some grad transfers who can help out next year. And who knows, maybe there's a nice surprise and Waters ends up here as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom