Big XII Expansion 2024+ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big XII Expansion 2024+

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Seeing more and more of this talk. Seems the Pac-12 waited too long to wrap up media rights deal. Only thing I'm not convinced on that the article mentions is Oregon and UW going to the B1G. I know they would be the hot commodities but I just don't see the B1G going to 18.

If the 4 schools listed in the article go to the Big 12, that makes 3 conferences at 16. Would put a lot of pressure on the ACC to keep up.....:rolleyes:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Seeing more and more of this talk. Seems the Pac-12 waited too long to wrap up media rights deal. Only thing I'm not convinced on that the article mentions is Oregon and UW going to the B1G. I know they would be the hot commodities but I just don't see the B1G going to 18.

If the 4 schools listed in the article go to the Big 12, that makes 3 conferences at 16. Would put a lot of pressure on the ACC to keep up.....:rolleyes:

I think they will go to what ever they need, but I’m not sure Oregon is in the picture. I believe Washington is a shoe in. They are a good brand, in a great market and is a fantastic academic/research school. Oregon very well might be next (probably is) but their academic and research standing aren’t up to par with Washington. Stanford has everything but a dominant football program. Then again, Stanford might not want to play in the NiL game. ASU I think is in play as well, but might not be able to go if they are tied to UofAz.

Honestly, I don’t think the Big10 wants to put the final nail in the coffin of The PAC. If the Big12 can take a couple of schools, it will effectively end the PAC and the Big10 can take whomever they want. My guess is Wash and Oregon and still leave room for ND and a couple of ACC schools.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
The grass is not always greener in another conference.
I'm not sure what's not greener outside the wasteland that the Pac-12 is becoming. They've always had the late time zone as a hindrance when they had USC/UCLA. Take them out and possibly add SMU/SDSU? Good luck. If I'm those 4 corner schools, I already have the paperwork drawn up with the Big 12 and wait to see what the numbers are for the new Pac TV deal before signing it.

I also wonder how the Deion to CU hype plays into the increased appeal to that school now to a conference like the Big 12.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's not greener outside the wasteland that the Pac-12 is becoming. They've always had the late time zone as a hindrance when they had USC/UCLA. Take them out and possibly add SMU/SDSU? Good luck. If I'm those 4 corner schools, I already have the paperwork drawn up with the Big 12 and wait to see what the numbers are for the new Pac TV deal before signing it.

I also wonder how the Deion to CU hype plays into the increased appeal to that school now to a conference like the Big 12.
The Big 12 had Colorado and they left. They'd have always wanted them back. The Big 12 has long coveted the two Arizona schools as well. I think they have buyer's remorse on Cinci and UCF, but Cinci football has been exceptional of late.

Reaction Score
Ain't it amazing what an entertaining/marketing figure like Coach Prime can do for a brand ?

A one man brand , so to speak.

Here is the thing with Colorado - One of two things will happen, both with the same end result.

Scenario 1 - Deion is a huge success at Colorado and turns the program around. An SEC or B1G school comes calling and offers him a contract he can’t refuse. Bye-Bye Colorado.

Scenario 2 - Deion crashes and burns after all the hype, much as Scott Frost did at Nebraska. Colorado terminates his contract.

Either way, Deion isn’t the coach at Colorado long term.

A third possible scenario is Deion is a .500 coach. Not winning championships, but not embarrassing the program either. In this scenario, he is the long term coach at Colorado. Not good enough for bigger programs to want and not bad enough to be fired.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here is the thing with Colorado - One of two things will happen, both with the same end result.

Scenario 1 - Deion is a huge success at Colorado and turns the program around. An SEC or B1G school comes calling and offers him a contract he can’t refuse. Bye-Bye Colorado.

Scenario 2 - Deion crashes and burns after all the hype, much as Scott Frost did at Nebraska. Colorado terminates his contract.

Either way, Deion isn’t the coach at Colorado long term.

A third possible scenario is Deion is a .500 coach. Not winning championships, but not embarrassing the program either. In this scenario, he is the long term coach at Colorado. Not good enough for bigger programs to want and not bad enough to be fired.
Who cares? Colorado is and has been a solid program since Deion was in high school. It's always going to have some appeal.

Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Colorado being a solid program? Check out their record for the 20 years.
It doesn't matter. It's still a big name program. Most of the downturn came from joining the Pac to begin with. It made sense because they heavily recruited Los Angeles, that's how McCartney won a title there, but it hurt them elsewhere.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 had Colorado and they left. They'd have always wanted them back. The Big 12 has long coveted the two Arizona schools as well. I think they have buyer's remorse on Cinci and UCF, but Cinci football has been exceptional of late.
No way they have buyers remorse on Cincinnati. Houston is the least valuable by far of the new additions. Yes their basketball has been hot lately but they don't draw TV ratings and Houston doesn't really care about them. Cincinnati and UCF give them more value due to ratings and the fact they're in the eastern time zone. BYU also opens a new time zone and national following. Houston is another team in the central time zone in a state they have well covered.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No way they have buyers remorse on Cincinnati. Houston is the least valuable by far of the new additions. Yes their basketball has been hot lately but they don't draw TV ratings and Houston doesn't really care about them. Cincinnati and UCF give them more value due to ratings and the fact they're in the eastern time zone. BYU also opens a new time zone and national following. Houston is another team in the central time zone in a state they have well covered.
The B12 Ideally would dump every school east of Iowa State and merge with the P12. If they hadn't expanded and didn't already have WVU, that's what would probably happen. WVU, UCF and Cinci make it harder to expand west.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I think they took Houston because it was the best of what was left. You're correct that they have Texas well covered but Houston is a giant metro area. Baylor and TTech are western TX schools (I think Waco is more west) TCU is in Dallas but they needed a foothold in Houston and they aren't a school that's going to hurt adding them.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think they took Houston because it was the best of what was left. You're correct that they have Texas well covered but Houston is a giant metro area. Baylor and TTech are western TX schools (I think Waco is more west) TCU is in Dallas but they needed a foothold in Houston and they aren't a school that's going to hurt adding them.
They took Houston so no one else can. If Houston was still in the AAC, they would be next up in the PAC with SDSU.

Reaction Score
The B12 Ideally would dump every school east of Iowa State and merge with the P12. If they hadn't expanded and didn't already have WVU, that's what would probably happen. WVU, UCF and Cinci make it harder to expand west.

That's your wish but the Big 12 never wanted that. Going back to 2011 the Big 12 has always looked liked East because that's where the strong markets and fanbases are so no, they don't have buyer's remorse. I also don't think that it hurt their ability to expand West.

Reaction Score
They took Houston so no one else can. If Houston was still in the AAC, they would be next up in the PAC with SDSU.

I agree. I think that they also added Houston because they're banking on Houston igniting a fire now that they have a P5 tag and taking control of that market. That's something worth betting on.

Reaction Score
The grass is not always greener in another conference.
It is where football is concerned. Given where the B12 medial deal is going, the tv prospects for a basketball only conference next time around are not good. The P12, or what is left of it as I believe it's only a matter of time before some of them join the B12, is looking at streaming and it has football. Having to go to a streaming platform is going to eliminate the casual fan. Not good.

Reaction Score
I'd agree, they were smart to lock up sizeable metropolitan markets. Lots of tv sets in those areas and tv viewership is not a perfect science. They're big strong schools enrollment wise and easy to travel to. They also were astute in landing Yomark. He knows how to drive the bus.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's your wish but the Big 12 never wanted that. Going back to 2011 the Big 12 has always looked liked East because that's where the strong markets and fanbases are so no, they don't have buyer's remorse. I also don't think that it hurt their ability to expand West.
LOL. Yes, that's what they wanted after they lost Missouri and Nebraska (and Arkansas before that). The remaining teams looked west, not east. Do you even know anyone in the area or associated with it? They realized that north was B10, south was SEC and mid-Atlantic was ACC. Unfortunately, the Pac was and is a snobby conference and they sealed their own doom by not merging sooner.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 should add UConn and USF and Memphis to create an eastern division, with say, KU, Cinci, WVU, Iowa State. When the ACC implodes, take the remnants, except for BC. Let them go to the AAC.
The UCF - USF combo is the secret sleeping giant. Those two programs in the Big 12 would be a boon for both of the schools and for the conference. The rivalry between the students, the fan bases, the recruiting, Big 12 playing so many games in Florida and Texas. Stretching it up to New England would be pure genius.

Reaction Score
The UCF - USF combo is the secret sleeping giant. Those two programs in the Big 12 would be a boon for both of the schools and for the conference. The rivalry between the students, the fan bases, the recruiting, Big 12 playing so many games in Florida and Texas. Stretching it up to New England would be pure genius.
I forgot to add UCF. I agree with you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom