Big XII Expansion 2024+ | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big XII Expansion 2024+

Reaction Score
That's your wish but the Big 12 never wanted that. Going back to 2011 the Big 12 has always looked liked East because that's where the strong markets and fanbases are so no, they don't have buyer's remorse. I also don't think that it hurt their ability to expand West.
I don't believe that The Big 12 ever looked East because of the markets, but instead looked to where all of the movement was happening. First during the destruction of The BE2.0 by ESPN/ACC Raids they were able to grab WVU. They desperately needed a name football program to replace one of the 3 departing schools going to The SEC and B1G. The second time was after The B1G grabbed UMD and was pushing hard for UNC and UVA. The Big 12 believed, and maybe accurately, that FSU and Clemson might fall in their lap. We all know what happened with Louisville to The ACC and their eventual GOR.

Through all this time no one believed that The PAC was a potential target for realignment. They were viewed as safe due to their geography, homogeneous membership, and long history together. It took an 800 LB Gorilla with a chainsaw for a **** to destroy that narrative. Prior to The B1G cutting the heart out of The PAC, people discussed the idea of The PAC grabbing the best of The Big 12 to potentially go to 16 Teams and get TV Windows in another time zone. JMO but had The B1G preceded The SEC in making their move by grabbing USC/UCLA first, The 8 Team Big 12 would have likely approached the 10 Team PAC regarding a potential merger, scheduling agreement or one side or the other would have attempted to poach from the other. I know you disagree, but there is no chance in Hell that The Big 12 is taking UCF, Cincy, BYU, and UH if UA, ASU, CU, and UU were on the table.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
All the reasons why I said joining a conference and not being independent are listed above in your three tweets. I don't remember what thread I responded to with my comment but someone mentioned not wanting to give up independence. I said that I'd give it up to go to the ACC in a heartbeat so we'd be guaranteed a schedule that looks similar to those every year instead.of our schedule this year and ESPECIALLY next year's home slate.

Reaction Score
Baylor AD Mack Rhoades: Big 12 must be ready for 'movement' from Pac-12 schools if media negotiations collapse

The Pac-12 Conference has yet to have reached a new media rights deal as the 2024 expiration looms for its existing contract. Reports suggest the conference, which already lost USC and UCLA to the Big Ten, effective 2024, could be forced to rely heavily on streaming in order to land a new deal valuable enough to satisfy its 10 remaining members. Should the Pac-12 schools even reject that and begin to look for new homes, Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades hinted the Big 12 should be proactive in trying to lure some of those schools into the conference.

"I am certainly not rooting for the demise of any particular conference, but I am also looking out for what is best for Baylor and what is best for Baylor is a really really strong Big 12, and one that secures its future but not over just the next six years but beyond," Rhoades recently told 365 Sports. "There is a short gain but also a long gain for this. It is dependent on what happens among the Pac-12. There may be movement if whatever media deal they are able to strike is not satisfactory. We have to be prepared for that and I think we are if that was to happen. Again, looking out for the Big 12, how do we strengthen ourselves?”

Rhoades, Baylor's AD since 2016, took things a step further by suggesting the Big 12 can do some damage in closing the gap with the SEC and Big Ten — the two most valuable leagues in college athletics — if the Big 12 is able to continue on its current trajectory.

"There is so much about the SEC and the Big Ten, and there is no reason why the conversation can't be about the SEC, Big Ten and the Big 12," Rhoades added.

Though Baylor and the Big 12 have already secured a new TV deal, Rhoades said he would not be elated as an athletic director if presented a media deal featuring a streaming service as a primary partner. "It would be disappointing to be quite frank," Rhoades told 365 Sports. "Where I go first is the brand of the conference, which means impact on recruiting. Conversations with my head coaches, in terms of brand building and linear space — I know everyone talks about cord cutting, but (TV) is still the way people follow college athletics. If you think about not just the event itself but the shows throughout the week and even on game day. With FOX, you think about game day and their shows. I think it would be a big disappointment for the athletic directors and their coaches."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The PAC12 is in huge trouble.

They’re not getting a deal without a GOR and no one is signing a GOR for a streaming deal or a low-ball linear deal.

I think we are on the verge of mayhem. If you thought UConn in the American was a weird fit, wait and see what happens to Stanford and the like.

Reaction Score
I’m trying to figure out how this PAC situation can help us. I’m not seeing it. The B12 picks up who they want, Washington and Oregon go to the B10 and any remaining programs patch together something with MWC schools. It really seems like we need to wait for an ACC implosion and that may be 10 years off.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They’re not getting a deal without a GOR and no one is signing a GOR for a streaming deal or a low-ball linear deal.

I think we are on the verge of mayhem. If you thought UConn in the American was a weird fit, wait and see what happens to Stanford and the like.
Agree they are in bad shape for getting a good deal. I contemplated a western Ivy situation, Stanford, Cal, Rice, Tulane but I ran out of other schools. Pac was always arrogant and this is what comes of it.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

My new bet is the four corner schools bolt to the Big 12, and Oregon and Washington make a Pac-8 with the leftovers and SMU and SDSU (and probably St. Mary's and Gonzaga in basketball) where the two big boys get to keep an unhealthy percentage of a TV deal with ESPN.

Reaction Score
My new bet is the four corner schools bolt to the Big 12, and Oregon and Washington make a Pac-8 with the leftovers and SMU and SDSU (and probably St. Mary's and Gonzaga in basketball) where the two big boys get to keep an unhealthy percentage of a TV deal with ESPN.
That just doesn't feel like must-see TV.

Reaction Score

I think Stanford ends up in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Pepperdine is available.

I keep thinking about Kansas, being the only state flagship in the big 12, well, other than WVU, and being AAU to boot. Maybe Arizonas come to the big 12. It really is crazy how suddenly the big 12 is the place to be and the likes of stanford could be left flying solo. It just seems like the current pac 12 programs should be able to make it work somehow. Stanford and Cal in the Mountain West. Nice.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That just doesn't feel like must-see TV.
It doesn't need to be. As long as they can get a deal with ESPN for about 170 million per year for the league, Oregon and Washington can probably both snag about 33 million under unequal revenue.

Reaction Score
It doesn't need to be. As long as they can get a deal with ESPN for about 170 million per year for the league, Oregon and Washington can probably both snag about 33 million under unequal revenue.
Time will tell on all of that, but there'd be minimal amounts of ratings wins due to the fact that they'd be on streaming platforms and or undesirable timeslots even if on the networks/ESPN. Not a lot of compelling content no matter how you spin it.

Reaction Score
First, I don't believe the numbers being thrown around by the B1G or SEC. Second, why should the Big 12 pay anything nominally more than the ACC at this point? It can't match the big boys. The Pac 12 is kaput. The acc is locked in at below market rates.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Agree they are in bad shape for getting a good deal. I contemplated a western Ivy situation, Stanford, Cal, Rice, Tulane but I ran out of other schools. Pac was always arrogant and this is what comes of it.
It would have to be a “mix” of bigger schools with less academic prestige and a higher football ceiling along with the smaller private academic schools

Stanford
Cal
Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
SMU
Fresno State
Rice
Tulane
Tulsa
UNLV
Boise State

Or something along those lines. But yeah- not great.

And if for some absurd reason they decided to go to 16

Memphis
UTSA
New Mexico
Colorado State

I actually think UTSA, SMU, SDSU, Fresno, UNLV could do great with the ”elevated” profile. But it means zilch to Stanford/Cal or anyone that remotely cares about academics (minus SMU).

Reaction Score
Sure. Considering an eastern wing goes from Maine to Miami.

Morgantown is over 500 miles away
Cincy is 700+ miles
UCF, is well, central Florida
The B1G goes from LA to NJ
its 2023 There are no true major. regional conferences
The even the “alleged “ regional Big East goes from RI to Nebraska with people lobbying for a Washington state team.
However my personal opinion is if it looks like the B12 will add us
The ACC won’t let that happen. So we should be lobbying one publicly with a back channel to the other.

Reaction Score
It would have to be a “mix” of bigger schools with less academic prestige and a higher football ceiling along with the smaller private academic schools

Stanford
Cal
Oregon State
Washington State
San Diego State
SMU
Fresno State
Rice
Tulane
Tulsa
UNLV
Boise State

Or something along those lines. But yeah- not great.

And if for some absurd reason they decided to go to 16

Memphis
UTSA
New Mexico
Colorado State

I actually think UTSA, SMU, SDSU, Fresno, UNLV could do great with the ”elevated” profile. But it means zilch to Stanford/Cal or anyone that remotely cares about academics (minus SMU).
The PAC views itself as the top academic conference
Stamford , Cal ,and Washington are some of the top Schools in the World .
Utah , Colorado , and the Arizona schools are all rising in academic importance. Even Oregon is AAU
UNLV
Boise
Tulsa
Fresno
Memphis
i don’t so

Tulane and Rice are better fits
SMU got taken because it’s a top academic school that also values athletics

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Utah , Colorado , and the Arizona schools are all rising in academic importance. Even Oregon is AAU
UNLV
Boise
Tulsa
Fresno
Memphis
i don’t so

Tulsa is more than palatable and does enough research (top 35 nationally) to be acceptable. They are significantly better academically than UNLV, Boise, et al

None of them are getting in so it doesn’t matter. But athletically speaking - UNLV, Fresno, Boise, Memphis have a higher ceiling than any of the remaining teams at that point IMO.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UNLV
Boise
Tulsa
Fresno
Memphis
i don’t so

Assuming they lose Washington and Oregon, the question is what they do next. Is it better for UA, ASU, Colorado and Utah to join the Big XII? Probably. But that leaves Stanford and Cal on the sidelines. That's why I was thinking about a western Ivy type league of schools with huge endowments.

If UA, ASU, Colorado and Utah stay, then I think Tulane is the next best addition given the prestige and recent success at football. Is SMU a done deal?

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Would love to see us do a partnership with some of the pac 12 teams that remain if they break up. Games against Stanford and Cal would be great. Give them east coast visibility and us prestigious named schools on the schedule. Until we are in a conference we should explore all partnerships with all major conferences

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Fresno would be an interesting addition along with Boise

Clownzano, as he is known in Portland...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom