Big XII Expansion 2024+ | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big XII Expansion 2024+

Reaction Score
The top schools viewers are really high.. but the rest are not much better them basketball … it’s certainly not 80% better…I don’t get

Basketball....2021-22

The top games for the regular season of college hoops involved the usual suspects. Leading the way was North Carolina’s 94-81 upset of Duke in Blue Devils coach Mike Krzyzewski’s final game at Cameron Indoor Stadium on March 5, which drew 3.98 million viewers on ESPN. Next was Duke’s 84-81 win over then-No. 1 Gonzaga on Nov. 26, which drew 2.79 million. CBS had the next two spots, both featuring Kentucky: the Wildcats’ loss at Auburn on Jan. 26 (2.48 million) and their defeat at Arkansas on Feb. 22 (2.36 million). In all ESPN had five of the top 10 games, CBS had four and Fox (St. John’s win over Georgetown on Jan. 16, which came in eighth at 2.02 million) had one.

The highest viewed basketball games of the entire regular season are equaled or bettered every week of the football season by 10 or so football games.

Reaction Score
Theres also a lot of games in the 200,000 to 900,000 range for both football and basketball…

Reaction Score
What the media loves for selling ads are those games with millions watching.....that's why they can sell Superbowl ads for a premium.

And marquis matchups are what the media and Big Ten and SEC have emphasized.

A billion a year to show B1G football...Why? Because 17 million watched Ohio State-Michigan...and then there are other big matches...

Reaction Score
I certainly get the big money for the big football games..but the difference for the middle and lower football games is not as much as I thought with the basketball games.. which makes me optimistic the big east tv deal won’t be that bad

Reaction Score
And yet it is.

There’s a reason the Big 10 distributes $55M a year to each of its members while the entire Big East shares about $40M a year.

Football is far more valuable than basketball.
So it had nothing to do with the superior brands in the Big 10 compared to the Big East?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So it had nothing to do with the superior brands in the Big 10 compared to the Big East?

How long have you been an imbecile?

Good god.

Brands are why the Big Ten makes more than the Big 12, despite arguably putting out an inferior product.

The multiple paid to these conferences over the Big East is the market's determination of relative value of football versus basketball.

Reaction Score
How long have you been an imbecile?

Good god.

Brands are why the Big Ten makes more than the Big 12, despite arguably putting out an inferior product.

The multiple paid to these conferences over the Big East is the market's determination of relative value of football versus basketball.
How long have you had a micro penis?

Reaction Score
I certainly get the big money for the big football games..but the difference for the middle and lower football games is not as much as I thought with the basketball games.. which makes me optimistic the big east tv deal won’t be that bad
The dollars are driven by the big games. The lesser (filler) content is valued (much like basketball) as a small fraction of the value of those big games. If you accept that football drives 80% of the value, those premium games are 75% of the football value. (Read it as 60% premium games, 20% secondary football, 20% basketball)

Reaction Score
Just a random thought: Could the Pitino & Cooley hirings add credence to the notion that the XII is thinking of adding UConn, St. Johns, Nova, & Georgetown to gain a Northeast presence?

Reaction Score
I think the Pitino hiring, and we will have to see how far the 3 teams in the tournament go.. will help Val negotiate the next big east contract … if uconn wins it all…I wouldn’t be surprised if the big 12 offers us a membership

Reaction Score
Just a random thought: Could the Pitino & Cooley hirings add credence to the notion that the XII is thinking of adding UConn, St. Johns, Nova, & Georgetown to gain a Northeast presence?

I like the use of the "interogative".

Like the TV shows about alien contact that use questions to denote facts.

"Could it be that the pyramids were built by aliens who passed on knowledge of the star Sirius B in the Sirius system to the Dogon people ? "

But to be serious for a moment, I really don't think that the coaching hires at St. John's, Georgetown, etc are lnked to the Big 12's thinking of future expansion targets...just the hiring of experienced coaches with wins in their records. Of course, winning a lot can make you a target...or a topic of realignment conversation.

Reaction Score
I think the Pitino hiring, and we will have to see how far the 3 teams in the tournament go.. will help Val negotiate the next big east contract … if uconn wins it all…I wouldn’t be surprised if the big 12 offers us a membership
The PAC-12 commissioner claimed Colorado hiring Deion Sanders would help them… it hasn’t exactly played out that way yet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Impossible to say. It’s one of those things that will reveal itself over time.

And I could see Yormark making the calls, conducting some out reach which sparks the action we see, but that doesn’t mean he will follow through in the near term. We could see tire kicking this summer that sets up for something else 5-6 years from now… much like how UCF/Cincy/Houston/BYU did the tour in [2016?] which set them up for quick action on the backfill.

It seems to me the entire matter is largely in the hands of Fox and their vision going forward. Fox is paying a nice price for the B12, but does it hit enough markets in its present form?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shoulder Shrug GIF

The timing is interesting though, isn’t it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Impossible to say. It’s one of those things that will reveal itself over time.

And I could see Yormark making the calls, conducting some out reach which sparks the action we see, but that doesn’t mean he will follow through in the near term. We could see tire kicking this summer that sets up for something else 5-6 years from now… much like how UCF/Cincy/Houston/BYU did the tour in [2016?] which set them up for quick action on the backfill.

It seems to me the entire matter is largely in the hands of Fox and their vision going forward. Fox is paying a nice price for the B12, but does it hit enough markets in its present form?
That’s an interesting question. Is Fox orchestrating the removal of three key pieces from the Big East so that it doesn’t need to pay the rest of the conference?

I’ve said this before, but I would be very hesitant to go to the big 12 as a basketball, only, unless there was a clear path with a specific timeline for Connecticut to join for football as well.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That’s an interesting question. Is Fox orchestrating the removal of three key pieces from the Big East so that it doesn’t need to pay the rest of the conference?

I’ve said this before, but I would be very hesitant to go to the big 12 as a basketball, only, unless there was a clear path with a specific timeline for Connecticut to join for football as well.
I don't see how Fox is not intimately involved....and of course, like ESPN supporting the ACC raid of the old BE, I don't see how they will ever admit it either. Fox is at the controls here - they have the data/they have direct experience with these schools and the markets. And it seems they are building a platform to rival ESPN in the colligiate sports entertainment space....or at least take a big bite of said space. I think the question for them is as sports in general inch closer to a direct to consumer subscription model, do they have enough big markets.

But everything related to the BE and its future is likely to pivot on the outcome of the P12 first.

Reaction Score
Do we really want to be part of a Texas-focused conference. Long plane trips, too,.

Reaction Score
Do we really want to be part of a Texas-focused conference. Long plane trips, too,.
Various reasons to say yes:
-easiness of filling out a schedule for football
-rekindling football rivalries with West Virginia & Cinci
-keeping many basketball rivalries (W.Va., Cinci, Nova, St. Johns, G-Town) & adding teams like Kansas, Okie St., Iowa St. etc.
-enhancing baseball conference strength of schedule

Reaction Score
Various reasons to say yes:
-easiness of filling out a schedule for football
-rekindling football rivalries with West Virginia & Cinci
-keeping many basketball rivalries (W.Va., Cinci, Nova, St. Johns, G-Town) & adding teams like Kansas, Okie St., Iowa St. etc.
-enhancing baseball conference strength of schedule
For sure if we bring all those big east schools with us…but I don’t think st johns and Georgetown bring that much value to the big 12…I can’t believe the big 12 would pay them enough for them to leave the big east or even want them

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
For sure if we bring all those big east schools with us…but I don’t think st johns and Georgetown bring that much value to the big 12…I can’t believe the big 12 would pay them enough for them to leave the big east or even want them
Easier to justify paying them less without football (doesn't open pandora's box), but can still probably pay more than eventual BE deal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom