Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25

Reaction Score
You forget that ESPN, which is essentially the bank, controls all of this They essentially have put all of their money of the table with the ACC. They will not allow the scenario you describe to occur. 2036 is a long, long,way away. UConn will not be able to sustain its athletic programs for more than a couple years, at most. Neither ND nor Virginia can leave the ACC. It will not be permitted.

That of course assumes that the ESPN we know and love is still around in 2036. At the rate that they are draining blood from Disney and the overall changing media dynamics, that is not a sure thing...

Reaction Score
You forget that ESPN, which is essentially the bank, controls all of this They essentially have put all of their money of the table with the ACC. They will not allow the scenario you describe to occur. 2036 is a long, long,way away. UConn will not be able to sustain its athletic programs for more than a couple years, at most. Neither ND nor Virginia can leave the ACC. It will not be permitted.
You sound threatened. Then again, I understand why you would.

Reaction Score

I think that Buddy's comment was quite reasonable based on what is known.

....The ACC's GOR is through 2036
....Notre Dame is bound through 2036 (football as well)
....ESPN is investing in the ACC

I doubt that any personal feel of "threat" had anything to do with his reasoned post based on known facts.

Reaction Score
I think that Buddy's comment was quite reasonable based on what is known.

....The ACC's GOR is through 2036
....Notre Dame is bound through 2036 (football as well)
....ESPN is investing in the ACC

I doubt that any personal feel of "threat" had anything to do with his reasoned post based on known facts.
Notre Dame hates Michigan, just ask Terry D, there is no chance they ever join the Big 10.

Reaction Score
I am not threatened at all. I am just stating what I understand to be factual about the ACC GOR. Thank you billybud. You know my feelings about FSU and their past transgressions, but one cannot argue what has come to be for UConn nowadays.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame hates Michigan, just ask Terry D, there is no chance they ever join the Big 10.
Hate has nothing to do with it! Money has everything to do with it. Notre Dame is Notre Dame. They stand alone and need no football conference. Also, how can a Catholic school hate another school? They are all about love and treating a neighbor as they would like to be treated, just like BC did! I will once again state the ND is bound by the ACC GOR and will likely remain in the ACC for the foreseeable future.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I Agree that the B1G's goal is to get to 20 with football broken down into 4 pods of 5. The confernece will likley take the best from which ever conference folds first - the ACC ot XII.

Their idea situation is that the XII folds and ACC becomes unstable. That allows the B1G to go from 14 to 20 schools with - 1) Texas, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Kansas, and 4) Virginia. That leaves the following to schools fight it out for the last 2 slots (not in any order) - 1) UConn, 2) ND, 3) UNC, 4) Duke, 5) G-Tech, 6) Florida St. My guess would be that the Tobacco Road says no to the 'Great Northern Conference' and takes ND (who decides that independence is history and the B1G is as 'national' as one can get and UConn to lock-up the Northeast and Midwest 'Yankeedom.' So, the 4 B1G Pods look like this:
  • East: 1) Connecticut, 2) Rutgers, 3) Penn State, 4) Maryland, 5) Notre Dame
  • Central: 6) Virginia, 7) Ohio St, 8) Michigan, 9) Michigan St, 10) Indiana
  • South: 11) Texas, 12) Oklahoma, 13) Kansas, 14) Nebraska, 15) Iowa
  • North: 16) Minnesota, 17) Wisconsin, 18) Northwestern, 19) Illinois, 20) Purdue
In this arrangement, ND insistend on being in the 'eastern' pod while Nebraksa pushed to be attached to Texas for recruting reasons. Protected cross-over rivals are put in place between UVA and Maryland, Indiana and Purdue, etc.

While this would be awesome, I don't think it's possible. Virginia likes being in league with UNC and Duke and I'm not sure they would want to follow Maryland into the Big10. Being in a pod with four midwestern teams would not be entice them to move either. The ACC schools wouldn’t have locked them in with a GoR until 2036 if they didn’t want to be together. I assume that the ACC and ND are off the table. Since the SEC isn’t going anywhere, that leaves the Big12 and PAC to look at.

What happens with the Big12, PAC and Big10 in 2024 will determine the path college sports takes. I can see a mega media deal with the Big10 and PAC with a couple of Big12 schools sprinkled in. If the PAC is worse off than we think, they don’t get their $500 million and fold, the Big12 and Big10 will take what they want and the rest will be left out.

If they do find an investor, those schools are locked in for many years and they won’t be adding anybody either.

Reaction Score

ND folks do hate Michigan but there are a number of other reasons why ND will stay where they are, how they are, for the foreseeable future.

All "ND football to the Big Ten" scenarios are pure fantasy.

Reaction Score
The Fighting Irish nickname is a byproduct of Fielding Yost being derisive of Notre Dame's football team.

Might be time for a name change!

dayooper

Reaction Score
The Fighting Irish nickname is a byproduct of Fielding Yost being derisive of Notre Dame's football team.

Might be time for a name change!

Bo Schembechler wasn’t a big ND fan either. Michigan did teach ND how to play football. The forward pass was honed by Knute Rockne and a couple of teammates while working at Cedar Point, Ohio. Obviously, this was before there were roller coasters there. It was beach resort and they practiced restlessly in their off time on the beach of Lake Erie. The Hotel Breakers has a nice plaque commemorating the event, at least they did before the latest renovations.

No matter how much ND wants to be an Eastern school, it’s roots will always be Midwestern.

Reaction Score
Bo Schembechler wasn’t a big ND fan either. Michigan did teach ND how to play football. The forward pass was honed by Knute Rockne and a couple of teammates while working at Cedar Point, Ohio. Obviously, this was before there were roller coasters there. It was beach resort and they practiced restlessly in their off time on the beach of Lake Erie. The Hotel Breakers has a nice plaque commemorating the event, at least they did before the latest renovations.

No matter how much ND wants to be an Eastern school, it’s roots will always be Midwestern.

I go to CoasterMania at Cedar Point every year and I always walk by that plaque on the Boardwalk. What a beautuful spot.

Reaction Score
Yost, at Michigan, blackballed Notre Dame after the Irish came to Michigan and beat him in 1909. Michigan, back then, was THE football team.

Notre Dame’s first win against Michigan came in 1909, a win that caused the Detroit Free Press to write “Eleven Fighting Irishmen wrecked the Yost machine this afternoon. The sons of Erin, individually and collectively representing the University of Notre Dame, not only beat the Michigan team, but dashed some of Michigan’s greatest hopes and shattered Michigan’s fairest dreams.”

Yost cancelled the next year’s game and then refused to schedule Notre Dame for the rest of his career at Michigan. Which meant that Notre Dame didn’t play Michigan again until after Yost retired in 1941.

Some believe that schools blackballing the Irish led to their nationwide schedule. The 1920s and 30s was a time when anti Catholicism was rife.

In 1926, Notre Dame, applied to join the Big Ten. Michigan and Yost were opposed to adding the Irish.

In 1999, the B1G itself now explored the idea with Notre Dame and Father Malloy released the following:

Why, then, not take the ultimate step in partnership and become a member of the Big Ten? That answer, in the end result, transcends the many individual factors, academic and athletic, that weigh either for or against conference affiliation. Ultimately, the answer lies in the institutional identity of Notre Dame, its overarching definition. Just as the Universities of Michigan or Wisconsin or Illinois have core identities as the flagship institutions of their states, so Notre Dame has a core identity, and at that core are these characteristics—Catholic, private, independent.

Reaction Score
And of course, having the President of Ohio State in 2012...say Notre Dame was never asked to join the conference because "those damned Catholics can't be trusted" harked back to older wounds.

Gee said he was joking...and then the recordings became public. He also took jabs specifically at Father Joyce.

In the wake of the recordings, Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said, "We find the remarks most regrettable, particularly regarding Father Joyce, who served Notre Dame and collegiate athletics so well and for so long."

This kind of gaff still touches a collective nerve in South Bend.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I go to CoasterMania at Cedar Point every year and I always walk by that plaque on the Boardwalk. What a beautuful spot.

Went to Cedar Point last year for the first time in several years last summer and that whole Boardwalk area is awesome. Totally changes the atmosphere and vibe of Hotel Breakers. The fire pits and and permanent beach chairs/umbrellas really set the resort atmosphere. The old musty smell is gone and replaced by great new rooms.

Must be dreaming of summer in this wind chill spell (-40 to -50 degrees tonight).

Reaction Score
Yikes...-50?

...and I think tonight's 19 in Western NC is toooo low?

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
Yikes...-50?

...and I think tonight's 19 in Western NC is toooo low?

We are in a State of Emergency. Most all of the schools here are closed and UofM has closed for the next two days. This is the coldest weather I have seen since my time in the UP 25 years ago (-80 degree and chills).

Reaction Score
We are in a State of Emergency. Most all of the schools here are closed and UofM has closed for the next two days. This is the coldest weather I have seen since my time in the UP 25 years ago (-80 degree and chills).

Good luck. I have friends in and around Detroit and family in MSP, this isn't 'I'm from the upper Midwest and this is nothing' cold, its 'do not mess' with cold.

The coldest I have experienced was in the early '90's in upstate New York in the Adirondacks as it hit -29 F one night, not including windchill. The snowmobiles had a hard time starting and we smartly did not go for any rides because if (when at those temps) we broke down, it would get ugly fast.

Reaction Score
Went to Cedar Point last year for the first time in several years last summer and that whole Boardwalk area is awesome. Totally changes the atmosphere and vibe of Hotel Breakers. The fire pits and and permanent beach chairs/umbrellas really set the resort atmosphere. The old musty smell is gone and replaced by great new rooms.

Must be dreaming of summer in this wind chill spell (-40 to -50 degrees tonight).

If you walk into the lobby sometimes you see these big burley guys walking around bringing luggage up to the rooms, more than likely they are football players from ND, OSU or Michigan working their summer job. Could not agree more about the boardwalk. Fantastic job. They used to have photos hanging up of Knute Rockne and others from early in the 20th century in the old Breakers. Don't know where they moved those.

dayooper

Reaction Score
If you walk into the lobby sometimes you see these big burley guys walking around bringing luggage up to the rooms, more than likely they are football players from ND, OSU or Michigan working their summer job. Could not agree more about the boardwalk. Fantastic job. They used to have photos hanging up of Knute Rockne and others from early in the 20th century in the old Breakers. Don't know where they moved those.

Yup, those were in the back end of the Main lobby. They might be in the new gift shop by the main entrance. There’s a bunch of historical pictures in there. I knew several people who worked there over the summer. They had a “good time.” A bunch of college kids in a dorm over the summer with nothing to do but work? Yeah, I can only imagine.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Good luck. I have friends in and around Detroit and family in MSP, this isn't 'I'm from the upper Midwest and this is nothing' cold, its 'do not mess' with cold.

The coldest I have experienced was in the early '90's in upstate New York in the Adirondacks as it hit -29 F one night, not including windchill. The snowmobiles had a hard time starting and we smartly did not go for any rides because if (when at those temps) we broke down, it would get ugly fast.

Thanks, the school I teach and coach at has already closed today and tomorrow. Due to weather, finals and MLK day, we have had school a grand total of a day and a half since last Monday. Snow and ice storms and now cold. Supposed to be 45 degrees and rainy on Sunday. We have a saying here in Michigan: if you don’t like the weather, wait 15 minutes, it will change.

Reaction Score
Yost, at Michigan, blackballed Notre Dame after the Irish came to Michigan and beat him in 1909. Michigan, back then, was THE football team.

Notre Dame’s first win against Michigan came in 1909, a win that caused the Detroit Free Press to write “Eleven Fighting Irishmen wrecked the Yost machine this afternoon. The sons of Erin, individually and collectively representing the University of Notre Dame, not only beat the Michigan team, but dashed some of Michigan’s greatest hopes and shattered Michigan’s fairest dreams.”

Yost cancelled the next year’s game and then refused to schedule Notre Dame for the rest of his career at Michigan. Which meant that Notre Dame didn’t play Michigan again until after Yost retired in 1941.

Some believe that schools blackballing the Irish led to their nationwide schedule. The 1920s and 30s was a time when anti Catholicism was rife.

In 1926, Notre Dame, applied to join the Big Ten. Michigan and Yost were opposed to adding the Irish.

In 1999, the B1G itself now explored the idea with Notre Dame and Father Malloy released the following:

Why, then, not take the ultimate step in partnership and become a member of the Big Ten? That answer, in the end result, transcends the many individual factors, academic and athletic, that weigh either for or against conference affiliation. Ultimately, the answer lies in the institutional identity of Notre Dame, its overarching definition. Just as the Universities of Michigan or Wisconsin or Illinois have core identities as the flagship institutions of their states, so Notre Dame has a core identity, and at that core are these characteristics—Catholic, private, independent.
Michigan became THE school by being ahead of everyone else in the Midwest and playing Ivies and Little Ivies to give their program credibility.

1883 Michigan Wolverines football team - Wikipedia

Wesleyan still has the game ball from the 1883 game on display by their hockey rink and basketball courts.

Reaction Score
Yup, those were in the back end of the Main lobby. They might be in the new gift shop by the main entrance. There’s a bunch of historical pictures in there. I knew several people who worked there over the summer. They had a “good time.” A bunch of college kids in a dorm over the summer with nothing to do but work? Yeah, I can only imagine.

I will be there the first week of June for CoasterMania. Got my tickets and renewed my Platinum Pass. The gift shop at the front on the right I think is called the Park Plaza used to have an isle devoted to Ohio State and Michigan merchandise especially football merchandise but I haven't been in there in about 3 years so I don't know of any changes. I think that's the shop you are referring.

Also just behind the Lakeside Pavillion where we have our picnic lunch are the corporate conference rooms and in the lobby used to be a lot of oldtime photos. And lastly in the Breakers, the corridors leading up to T.G.I. Fridays also had many oldtime photos. Man that place is historic.

Next year 2020 will be the 150th anniversary of Cedar Point, and I understand that season will be monstrous.

Reaction Score
Yeah Butch...But by the late 1920's, Grantland Rice was already mourning the good ole days of Michigan.

And I remember across the years
Two banners that crowned the crest,
When Yale was king of the conquered East,
And Michigan ruled the West.

At night in my humble den I dream
Of the glories that used to be
Of Hannibal taking the Alpine Trail,
Of Drake on the open sea;

And then I wander the ancient ways
To dream a dream I love the best,
When Yale was king of the conquered East,
And Michigan ruled the West.--- Grantland Rice

Reaction Score

Early in my career, I took many snowmobile rides alone on the frozen Little Missouri River in the North Dakota badlands. It was like an interstate highway. I'd go twelve or fifteen miles up the river and then turn around and head for home, sometimes near dusk, which comes early that far north. I owned an Elan, the cheapest machine Skidoo made in the early 1970s and not one known for its reliability. A fouled plug or a broken drive-belt could have killed me. There's no way a guy could walk that far in a snowmobile suit and boots and in those temperatures if a machine broke down. There was a lot of in-between and solitude in that part of the world. This was long before helmets and face shields became commonplace, and I always had a bit of frost-bite on my cheeks from the air currents that sneaked around the windscreen. Looking back, I was a damned fool, but all's well that ends well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom