Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25

I wonder if Texas and the ACC would entertain given Texas the same deal they have with Notre Dame? Texas is one of the few remaining schools that could thrive as a football independent. Of course, they would need a travel partner for their Olympic sport teams in the ACC.

If you consider the ACC GOR, which does not expire until 2036 and forbids ND from joining any conference but the ACC, the only two then according to your plan will be Missouri and UConn for the B1G, UVA, UNC, and Duke are bound by the GOR until 2036 as well. I don't know if Missouri is AAU, and they are getting a great payday from the SEC, but it is contiguous. I don't know if AAU will still be a requirement.
Yes I know there is a lot of contractual stuff; but, in my experience and that of the NCAA, if there is enough money, the legal issues go away.

Plus, I would wager that as the XII is Texas's conference, they have a bit of wiggle room in terms of staying or going. If they go, the rest of the dominoes will fall.

Well Oklahoma is not an AAU school, so if they take Oklahoma they would show a willingness to overlook it if it's worth it - which adding OK and TX (which is AAU) would be perhaps.
And if they hold their nose and start letting in a non-AAU school, perhaps they would do it with another school that sits in New England and has proximity to NYC, and which in 5 years will be a perennial power in hoops again thanks to Mr. Hurley and a football program that is at least respectable.
Pipe dream, I know.
They invited Nebraska even while B10 schools were leading the charge to remove AAU status from the Huskers. I don’t think it’s a stumbling block.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Well Oklahoma is not an AAU school, so if they take Oklahoma they would show a willingness to overlook it if it's worth it - which adding OK and TX (which is AAU) would be perhaps.
And if they hold their nose and start letting in a non-AAU school, perhaps they would do it with another school that sits in New England and has proximity to NYC, and which in 5 years will be a perennial power in hoops again thanks to Mr. Hurley and a football program that is at least respectable.
Pipe dream, I know.
If the B1G does indeed go after Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and TBD, it would be fantastic if they selected us to round out the East Coast expansion. The B1G would be able to command quite the pay day with the addition of those schools.
There was also a report from the Omaha Herald a few years ago that said that five Big12 schools (Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa State) had approached the Big10 for admittance. The report states that the main sticking point was how the payments would be figured out (my guess is that Big10 wanted the schools to "buy in"). While four of the schools are/were AAU, Oklahoma wasn't. It didn't happen, obviously. If the report is correct, then the AAU piece was more of a guideline than rule (if it was anything at all). I have always thought the AAU only piece was pushed by those outside of the Big10.

I would love to see UConn in the Big10. Hopefully, you get a chance to be part of our conference. For all of it's whining and arrogance, it's a lot of fun to be a fan of a Big10 school. Jim Delany had very complimentary things to say UConnDan97 back in 2012 when UMD and Rutgers were announced. He said you scored surprisingly high on their metrics. No matter what happens, I will always rot for UConn over most schools. Unless you are in the Big10, than I get to hate you like the other schools.

vowelguy

Boneyard contrarian since 1998
Not a surprise.
Big Ten really could use Oklahoma.

The BT West is a dumpster fire and the demographics of its footprint aren't good for future recruiting. Okla solves both of those problems.

Not a surprise.
Big Ten really could use Oklahoma.

The BT West is a dumpster fire and the demographics of its footprint aren't good for future recruiting. Okla solves both of those problems.
If it were to happen, OK is nothing more than a plus one. This is about UT

Butch

Go Bulldogs!
You people are actually taking that Flugar dude, whatever his name is, seriously?

They invited Nebraska even while B10 schools were leading the charge to remove AAU status from the Huskers. I don’t think it’s a stumbling block.
Its a key data point for the B1G President's as the AAU represents big research dollars and prestige for the B1G. That said, a school like Nebraska is still a state flagship university that rakes in singicant research dollars, even after the AAU designation was lost. Oklahoma has I imagine a similar profile and when one throws is other factors such as its a state flagship university, blue-blood football, and servces as a physical link to Texas (assuming U Kansas is also added), gets enough boxes check to get in.

Butch

Go Bulldogs!
No but his track record is no worse than yours.
I have one? All I've said is we are on the Big Ten's radar. If that such a massive, hard to believe statement, well, boo hoo hoo.

Ironically, that's not my observation. So babble on.