Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25

Reaction Score
The Yale Bowl is mourning the good ole days, too.
I don't think so. Yale has billions and billions of dollars and they could care less. They are happy exactly where they are.

Reaction Score
Early in my career, I took many snowmobile rides alone on the frozen Little Missouri River in the North Dakota badlands. It was like an interstate highway. I'd go twelve or fifteen miles up the river and then turn around and head for home, sometimes near dusk, which comes early that far north. I owned an Elan, the cheapest machine Skidoo made in the early 1970s and not one known for its reliability. A fouled plug or a broken drive-belt could have killed me. There's no way a guy could walk that far in a snowmobile suit and boots and in those temperatures if a machine broke down. There was a lot of in-between and solitude in that part of the world. This was long before helmets and face shields became commonplace, and I always had a bit of frost-bite on my cheeks from the air currents that sneaked around the windscreen. Looking back, I was a damned fool, but all's well that ends well.

The first sled I drove on was a '79 Rupp. It was light and reliable and lot of fun for a little kid. The first time I drove solo, I went up the back of Powder Ridge (before the BMS campus was built) and then my old man just pointed down one of the slopes and told me to wait for him at the bottom on the pond at the bottom. The grin on my face was probably equal to the look of shear terror on all of the skiers I blew past.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. Yale has billions and billions of dollars and they could care less. They are happy exactly where they are.

Healthwise, I am glad the old UConn game at the Yale Bowl ended my Sophmore year. There is no way my liver would have survived going to that mess 4 years in a row.

Reaction Score
Didn't say Yale is mourning. They own New Haven now, at least. The Yale Bowl is in West Haven.

The New Haven town green still has 5-10,000 people buried underneath.

Reaction Score
Don't know what to say about the above tweeterati....interesting take, I guess.

Reaction Score
Didn't say Yale is mourning. They own New Haven now, at least. The Yale Bowl is in West Haven.

The New Haven town green still has 5-10,000 people buried underneath.
I'm sorry Butch, but Yale Bowl is in New Haven, on the border of West Haven. I am from that area originally. Also, check Wikipedia, Yale Bowl.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Healthwise, I am glad the old UConn game at the Yale Bowl ended my Sophmore year. There is no way my liver would have survived going to that mess 4 years in a row.
Meh, if you survived South Campus Weekend, you could survive that.

Reaction Score
One of my friends is an AD at an ACC school. He has told me that it is likely that anytime over the next couple of years that UConn will have one more opportunity to upgrade conference affiliation; when the opportunity comes, we need to be ready to pounce. He said the next move to happen will be either the Big10 or Pac12 expanding - the question is do they go to 14 or 16 members. There is some thought that the Pac12 will make the move 1st because the Pac12 folks feel more at risk & no one knows what the Big12 (even those in the Big12) may do. Texas & Oklahoma are looked at as key players. ND is also a wild card with their football status. It is likely that the next move will set of a flurry of activity that finalizes things. Of course, he also said that it only takes one maverick move & everything goes to hell in a handbag.....

Reaction Score
One of my friends is an AD at an ACC school. He has told me that it is likely that anytime over the next couple of years that UConn will have one more opportunity to upgrade conference affiliation; when the opportunity comes, we need to be ready to pounce. He said the next move to happen will be either the Big10 or Pac12 expanding - the question is do they go to 14 or 16 members. There is some thought that the Pac12 will make the move 1st because the Pac12 folks feel more at risk & no one knows what the Big12 (even those in the Big12) may do. Texas & Oklahoma are looked at as key players. ND is also a wild card with their football status. It is likely that the next move will set of a flurry of activity that finalizes things. Of course, he also said that it only takes one maverick move & everything goes to hell in a handbag.....
Your AD “friend” never heard of rule #1

Reaction Score
Your AD friend should be well aware that Irish football is bound through 2036...

If football goes to a conference before then, it must be the ACC.

Reaction Score
Yep....and ND is the least of our worries when it comes to confernce realignment. We are not really in the best position to “pounce” right now should the opportunity arise. We have a significnat financial issue not only within the Athletic Department but the University as a whole in addition to the whole state financiall status. Spending big bucks on upgrading athletic facilities while looking at possibly dropping some programs. Major issues with two of our three major programs The word going around campus today is that our top candidate for President turned us down; that’s why we now have a “sole” finalist. Tough decisions need to be made to get us through all of this & I believe those decisions will be made. We need to be progressing in getting our house in order so we’re ready when/if the opportunity arises. We picked a bad period of time to be going through the turmoil we are.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I had my first jello shot at one of our last games at the Yale Bowl. IIRC it was simply something like Everclear and gelatin. Once it hit the back of my tongue, my throat said, "NFW!" and ejected it two rows forward.

Reaction Score
I had my first jello shot at one of our last games at the Yale Bowl. IIRC it was simply something like Everclear and gelatin. Once it hit the back of my tongue, my throat said, "NFW!" and ejected it two rows forward.

After the game, my crew got into a bar in Hartford, I remember walking into the bar and then waking-up on the floor of my dorm room the next morning. No idea how I got there.

Reaction Score
Meh, if you survived South Campus Weekend, you could survive that.

The last year of old South Campus was also my Sophomore year and it was a blast as everyone knew it was being torn down, so the rules were very lax. Spent many nights giving it the proper send-off.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry Butch, but Yale Bowl is in New Haven, on the border of West Haven. I am from that area originally. Also, check Wikipedia, Yale Bowl.
Bingo, and Yale Field (baseball) and the adjoining cemetery just across Rt 34/Derby Avenue are in Waste Haven.

Reaction Score

Does your friend moonlight at a car wash?

Reaction Score
Bingo, and Yale Field (baseball) and the adjoining cemetery just across Rt 34/Derby Avenue are in Waste Haven.
We weren't talking about Yale Field, but Yale Bowl. I agree though. The southbound side of Rte 34 is in West Haven, as opposed to Waste Haven LOL! The northbound side, where Yale Bowl sits is in New Haven.

Reaction Score
We weren't talking about Yale Field, but Yale Bowl. I agree though. The southbound side of Rte 34 is in West Haven, as opposed to Waste Haven LOL! The northbound side, where Yale Bowl sits is in New Haven.
No Shiite Charlene!

Reaction Score

And if this wasn't the Northeast, New Haven would stretch from Milford to Branford plus all of North Haven and Hamden.

Reaction Score
From the OU Insider...

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas

The article says the source has targeted Oklahoma and Texas for addition to the Big Ten in 2024-25. The Big Ten will coordinate with Oklahoma when OU negotiates its third tier rights so that the next third deal rights agreement will be a short term deal that expires in 2024. It mentions the Longhorn Network as not being as big of a hurdle as once thought, as it is a losing proposition for both Disney and exposure for UT sports.
Everybody wants Texas and Oklahoma, PAC 12 has the jump on the Big Ten though. Oklahoma came oh so close to joining the PAC 12 in 2010. Not sure about Oklahoma but the SEC would love to cherry pick Texas.

Reaction Score
I doubt the ACC will ever let us join after BloomingIdiot sued them. I think the ACC would invite URI before us. BloomingIdiot burned our bridge to the ACC.

Time has healed a lot of those old wounds, IMHO. There is still support for UConn within the ACC. UVA, and, the NC schools, specifically. It is generally thought that FSU, Miami, GT, and, Clemson are against you. Not sure about the others.

Reaction Score
Honestly, if the Big 12 loses OU and Texas, it may be open season on the Big 12. Additions of TCU and Baylor to the AAC would not be out of the question.

That said, I'll believe this OU/Texas story when I see it.

Getting TCU and Baylor in the fold would destroy the Mountain West as we could convince Boise State and maybe even Fresno State to bounce over. Then we could have a true East and West conference. Although, it wouldn't help with travel costs....at all.....

Reaction Score
Everybody wants Texas and Oklahoma, PAC 12 has the jump on the Big Ten though. Oklahoma came oh so close to joining the PAC 12 in 2010. Not sure about Oklahoma but the SEC would love to cherry pick Texas.

The PAC 12 is more of a mess than the Big 12. The same issues that lead to its original split are causing rifts again. The northern and southern schools just don't get along. Everyone looks at the Big 12-Big Ten as triggers. I am hoping the PAC 12 crumbles into two conferences that leads to a dismantling of the Mountain West and Big 12...which would inevitably lead to a power struggle and the rise of 16 team mega conferences when the remaining P5 conferences and the AAC scramble to pick up the scraps.

Oh sorry, I was daydreaming again...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom