Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 is more of a mess than the Big 12. The same issues that lead to its original split are causing rifts again. The northern and southern schools just don't get along. Everyone looks at the Big 12-Big Ten as triggers. I am hoping the PAC 12 crumbles into two conferences that leads to a dismantling of the Mountain West and Big 12...which would inevitably lead to a power struggle and the rise of 16 team mega conferences when the remaining P5 conferences and the AAC scramble to pick up the scraps.

Oh sorry, I was daydreaming again...
Original split? I think the only schools the Pacific Coast Conference conference "kicked" out were Idaho and Montana.

Reaction Score
The PAC 12 is more of a mess than the Big 12. The same issues that lead to its original split are causing rifts again. The northern and southern schools just don't get along. Everyone looks at the Big 12-Big Ten as triggers. I am hoping the PAC 12 crumbles into two conferences that leads to a dismantling of the Mountain West and Big 12...which would inevitably lead to a power struggle and the rise of 16 team mega conferences when the remaining P5 conferences and the AAC scramble to pick up the scraps.

I would think the Big Ten would love to get into California, especially since the Rose Bowl is there. They could then have full control of that bowl and invite whoever they want from the SEC, Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, etc.. A Las Vegas bowl is also possible. The Big Ten would use the western locations as a draw, just like New Orleans and Atlanta are draws for the southern programs.

Reaction Score

If the PAC 12 crumbles, where are they going to go? Australia? The Yukon? Outback Football, I love it.
UCSY (University of California at Sydney?). PAC 12 is pretty solid IMHO.

Reaction Score
Time has healed a lot of those old wounds, IMHO. There is still support for UConn within the ACC. UVA, and, the NC schools, specifically. It is generally thought that FSU, Miami, GT, and, Clemson are against you. Not sure about the others.
Those 3 (UVA/Duke/UNC) were the same ones for UConn last time. The UConn question has always been about the further South football contingent. Clemson and FSU are in the driver’s seat and they’ll get what they want. Of course what they want is ND. UConn’s best bet might be a few hail mary’s and bending the knee in Indiana to get ND in the mood for conference membership.

Reaction Score
Once again, the only conference ND can join before 2036 is the ACC. This is very unlikely to occur. UConn can bend a knee wherever you want, but it will not make a difference.

Reaction Score
Original split? I think the only schools the Pacific Coast Conference conference "kicked" out were Idaho and Montana.

True but it was always north vs. south

Reaction Score
If the PAC 12 crumbles, where are they going to go? Australia? The Yukon? Outback Football, I love it.
UCSY (University of California at Sydney?). PAC 12 is pretty solid IMHO.

Big 12, Big Ten, Mountain West, AAC are all options.

If the Big 12 doesn't get anyone out west and can keep Oklahoma and Texas they should grab Cincy and Memphis for WVU travel partnerships.

Then you can have two new Pacific Conferences.

Southwest: Utah, Arizona State, USC, Arizona, UCLA, Utah State, San Diego State, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State, Nevada, UNLV

Northwest: Washington, Washington State, Stanford, Oregon, California, Oregon State, Boise State, Fresno State, Wyoming, Air Force, San Jose State, Hawai'i

This would lead to a new AAC that has UCF, USF, Tulane, ECU, Navy, Tulsa, Buffalo, Temple, UConn, Houston, SMU, New Mexico, UMass, and Liberty. Conference USA would add Marshall to replace Buffalo and Conference USA would add New Mexico State.

Reaction Score
Big 12, Big Ten, Mountain West, AAC are all options.

If the Big 12 doesn't get anyone out west and can keep Oklahoma and Texas they should grab Cincy and Memphis for WVU travel partnerships.

Then you can have two new Pacific Conferences.

Southwest: Utah, Arizona State, USC, Arizona, UCLA, Utah State, San Diego State, BYU, Colorado, Colorado State, Nevada, UNLV

Northwest: Washington, Washington State, Stanford, Oregon, California, Oregon State, Boise State, Fresno State, Wyoming, Air Force, San Jose State, Hawai'i

This would lead to a new AAC that has UCF, USF, Tulane, ECU, Navy, Tulsa, Buffalo, Temple, UConn, Houston, SMU, New Mexico, UMass, and Liberty. Conference USA would add Marshall to replace Buffalo and Conference USA would add New Mexico State.

Remember, the PAC is more like the B1G than the SEC and XII as academics to matter in terms of dollars and pride. There are a lot of research dollars, private funding, business networks, alumni, etc. at play, especially in Seattle, San Francisco/Bay Area and LA. The big research universities (U Washington, Stanford, Cal, UCLA, and USC) are not going to want to be separated from those sources. Oregon, Arizona, and Arizona St are also heavily reliant on admissions from out-of-state students (it's estimated that neary 40% of U Oregon students are from Washington and California while Californian's make-up close to 33% of Arizona State's student body. Those are serious numbers and while the PAC may 'merge' with another conference, it won't be broken-up.

Reaction Score
Once again, the only conference ND can join before 2036 is the ACC. This is very unlikely to occur. UConn can bend a knee wherever you want, but it will not make a difference.
Of course ND can only join the ACC, that isn’t the question. The question is how best to get in a UConn that FSU/Clemson obviously look down on. Again, the best shot is to convince ND to join in football and that UConn is their best dance partner. FSU would hand deliver the invitation to Storrs if the Leprechaun asked.

Reaction Score
I suppose that convincing Notre Dame would be actually convincing ESPN....who would advise on who the dance partner that would bring the highest return would be.

Sentiment rarely overturns the $$ in such decisions.

I suppose if it was Notre Dame's sentiment only, they might want Navy.....93 seasons meeting in a row...

Reaction Score
I suppose that convincing Notre Dame would be actually convincing ESPN....who would advise on who the dance partner that would bring the highest return would be.

Sentiment rarely overturns the $$ in such decisions.

I suppose if it was Notre Dame's sentiment only, they might want Navy.....93 seasons meeting in a row...
Yes, ESPN could find a soft landing for UConn if they wanted to when the next round of media deals are made but alas, it's not in their self-interest.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 doesn't get anyone out west and can keep Oklahoma and Texas they should grab Cincy and Memphis for WVU travel partnerships. This would lead to a new AAC that has UCF, USF, Tulane, ECU, Navy, Tulsa, Buffalo, Temple, UConn, Houston, SMU, New Mexico, UMass, and Liberty.

1549382603062.png

Reaction Score
Of course ND can only join the ACC, that isn’t the question. The question is how best to get in a UConn that FSU/Clemson obviously look down on. Again, the best shot is to convince ND to join in football and that UConn is their best dance partner. FSU would hand deliver the invitation to Storrs if the Leprechaun asked.

As has been said numerous times on the BY over the years, the worst position to be in regarding Conference Realignment is to be Notre Dame's +1.

You keep saying the best chance is for the ACC to get ND to join for football when there is no logical reason for them to do that.

They just proved that they can make the 4 team playoff without being a conference member and if/when the playoffs expand it will provide them with more access.

Waiting on ND to join the ACC is not a solution for UConn

Reaction Score
As has been said numerous times on the BY over the years, the worst position to be in regarding Conference Realignment is to be Notre Dame's +1.

You keep saying the best chance is for the ACC to get ND to join for football when there is no logical reason for them to do that.

They just proved that they can make the 4 team playoff without being a conference member and if/when the playoffs expand it will provide them with more access.

Waiting on ND to join the ACC is not a solution for UConn
I didn’t say it was an easy solution. Merely, in all likelihood, the only solution as it relates to the ACC. The football schools are running the ACC now. UConn being wanted by UNC/Duke/Virginia is likely a hindrance at this point. UConn needs ND to champion them because ND is the only voice FSU/Clemson would likely listen to now. But as you said, it doesn’t seem likely.

The B10 is probably an easier scenario to imagine, though they have several directions they can go in so.

Reaction Score
For all intents and purposes ND is a full ACC member now. Officially they are full members in everything except football, and even in football they usually play 5 or 6 games with ACC teams anyway every season.

Reaction Score
For all intents and purposes ND is a full ACC member now. Officially they are full members in everything except football, and even in football they usually play 5 or 6 games with ACC teams anyway every season.
If they were a full member, the ACC would be adding a 16th team. In this particular case, those extra 3 football games are of enormous importance to a school like UConn.

Reaction Score
If they were a full member, the ACC would be adding a 16th team. In this particular case, those extra 3 football games are of enormous importance to a school like UConn.
They can't add a 16th team until football officially moves over, at least I think so. ;)

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Those games are considered out of conference and ND can't participate in the ACC championship game. The 5 games are the tradeoff so ND can plant their other sports in the conference. If they were full members, they would have either played Clemson in the regular season or in the championship game.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I think the ACC would pressure Notre Dame for a full-time answer but it's really hard to see ND joining any conference after this year's Playoff Committee decision. If the Big 12 dissolves, WVU makes sense there too. Of course, Cincinnati would be in the discussion.

I would LOVE to see UConn make a significant football statement soon. I know it won't happen...we have a part-time hockey arena to build...but it's nice to dream!

WVU seems like a perfect fit for the SEC if the big XII dissolved and SEC wanted to expand

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if Oklahoma gets an invite to the SEC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
WVU seems like a perfect fit for the SEC if the big XII dissolved and SEC wanted to expand
Well except that the ACC doesn't agree, but geographically, sure.

Reaction Score

Perfect?
Doesnt substantially improve quality nor does it bring a major market.

You get some proximity to Pitt which is not bad, but hardly a home run.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say it was an easy solution. Merely, in all likelihood, the only solution as it relates to the ACC. The football schools are running the ACC now. UConn being wanted by UNC/Duke/Virginia is likely a hindrance at this point. UConn needs ND to champion them because ND is the only voice FSU/Clemson would likely listen to now. But as you said, it doesn’t seem likely.

The B10 is probably an easier scenario to imagine, though they have several directions they can go in so.
It’s more likely than not that UConn doesn’t get a P5 invite in the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
It’s more likely than not that UConn doesn’t get a P5 invite in the next 10 years.

But still a hell of a lot more likely than any Big East program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom