Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Source: League targeting OU, Texas for 2024-25

Reaction Score
I wonder if Texas and the ACC would entertain given Texas the same deal they have with Notre Dame? Texas is one of the few remaining schools that could thrive as a football independent. Of course, they would need a travel partner for their Olympic sport teams in the ACC.

Reaction Score
If you consider the ACC GOR, which does not expire until 2036 and forbids ND from joining any conference but the ACC, the only two then according to your plan will be Missouri and UConn for the B1G, UVA, UNC, and Duke are bound by the GOR until 2036 as well. I don't know if Missouri is AAU, and they are getting a great payday from the SEC, but it is contiguous. I don't know if AAU will still be a requirement.

Yes I know there is a lot of contractual stuff; but, in my experience and that of the NCAA, if there is enough money, the legal issues go away.

Plus, I would wager that as the XII is Texas's conference, they have a bit of wiggle room in terms of staying or going. If they go, the rest of the dominoes will fall.

Reaction Score
Well Oklahoma is not an AAU school, so if they take Oklahoma they would show a willingness to overlook it if it's worth it - which adding OK and TX (which is AAU) would be perhaps.
And if they hold their nose and start letting in a non-AAU school, perhaps they would do it with another school that sits in New England and has proximity to NYC, and which in 5 years will be a perennial power in hoops again thanks to Mr. Hurley and a football program that is at least respectable.
Pipe dream, I know.
They invited Nebraska even while B10 schools were leading the charge to remove AAU status from the Huskers. I don’t think it’s a stumbling block.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Well Oklahoma is not an AAU school, so if they take Oklahoma they would show a willingness to overlook it if it's worth it - which adding OK and TX (which is AAU) would be perhaps.
And if they hold their nose and start letting in a non-AAU school, perhaps they would do it with another school that sits in New England and has proximity to NYC, and which in 5 years will be a perennial power in hoops again thanks to Mr. Hurley and a football program that is at least respectable.
Pipe dream, I know.
If the B1G does indeed go after Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and TBD, it would be fantastic if they selected us to round out the East Coast expansion. The B1G would be able to command quite the pay day with the addition of those schools.

There was also a report from the Omaha Herald a few years ago that said that five Big12 schools (Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa State) had approached the Big10 for admittance. The report states that the main sticking point was how the payments would be figured out (my guess is that Big10 wanted the schools to "buy in"). While four of the schools are/were AAU, Oklahoma wasn't. It didn't happen, obviously. If the report is correct, then the AAU piece was more of a guideline than rule (if it was anything at all). I have always thought the AAU only piece was pushed by those outside of the Big10.

I would love to see UConn in the Big10. Hopefully, you get a chance to be part of our conference. For all of it's whining and arrogance, it's a lot of fun to be a fan of a Big10 school. Jim Delany had very complimentary things to say UConnDan97 back in 2012 when UMD and Rutgers were announced. He said you scored surprisingly high on their metrics. No matter what happens, I will always rot for UConn over most schools. Unless you are in the Big10, than I get to hate you like the other schools.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise.
Big Ten really could use Oklahoma.

The BT West is a dumpster fire and the demographics of its footprint aren't good for future recruiting. Okla solves both of those problems.

Reaction Score
Not a surprise.
Big Ten really could use Oklahoma.

The BT West is a dumpster fire and the demographics of its footprint aren't good for future recruiting. Okla solves both of those problems.

If it were to happen, OK is nothing more than a plus one. This is about UT

Reaction Score
You people are actually taking that Flugar dude, whatever his name is, seriously?

Reaction Score
They invited Nebraska even while B10 schools were leading the charge to remove AAU status from the Huskers. I don’t think it’s a stumbling block.

Its a key data point for the B1G President's as the AAU represents big research dollars and prestige for the B1G. That said, a school like Nebraska is still a state flagship university that rakes in singicant research dollars, even after the AAU designation was lost. Oklahoma has I imagine a similar profile and when one throws is other factors such as its a state flagship university, blue-blood football, and servces as a physical link to Texas (assuming U Kansas is also added), gets enough boxes check to get in.

Reaction Score
No but his track record is no worse than yours.
I have one? All I've said is we are on the Big Ten's radar. If that such a massive, hard to believe statement, well, boo hoo hoo.

Ironically, that's not my observation. So babble on.

Reaction Score
I don't think there's any doubt UConn is on the B1G's radar. Delaney was quoted somewhere as saying he wanted to finish off the NE Corridor. That means either UConn, BC, or, some say, of all schools, Cornell, which I seriously doubt.

I think the Texas, Oklahoma, and/or Kansas theory remains the most viable theory going into the early to mid 2020s, but this recent business involving the PAC is interesting maybe.

What, exactly, does the B1G want?

Stand pat with a league of 14? Doubtful. Too unwieldy.

A league of 16? Maybe. That seems to suggest 2 out of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. But it leaves the far end of the NE Corridor waving in the wind.

What about 20? Was it Gordon Gee who mentioned 20 several years ago? UConn definitely fits here, as well as the B12 schools.

But what about the PAC? Would the key Pacific schools be willing to join the B1G, along with the B12 schools? I doubt it, but it's a theory.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, and ... UConn?

A league of 24, in 4 pods of 6? I mean, probably not. No way, right? But it would work.

Reaction Score
IMO our best case is the AAC merging with the remains of the B12.
I think best case for Uconn right now is that the playoffs expand to 8 and the G5 get a spot.
That would give The AAC some breathing room and even give them some leverage to poach Boise and maybe lure BYU into the league. The winner of that league would essentially be given the G5 spot.

Uconn could use that stability for a few years while RE works his magic the next 2-3 seasons.

dayooper

Reaction Score
I don't think there's any doubt UConn is on the B1G's radar. Delaney was quoted somewhere as saying he wanted to finish off the NE Corridor. That means either UConn, BC, or, some say, of all schools, Cornell, which I seriously doubt.

I think the Texas, Oklahoma, and/or Kansas theory remains the most viable theory going into the early to mid 2020s, but this recent business involving the PAC is interesting maybe.

What, exactly, does the B1G want?

Stand pat with a league of 14? Doubtful. Too unwieldy.

A league of 16? Maybe. That seems to suggest 2 out of Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. But it leaves the far end of the NE Corridor waving in the wind.

What about 20? Was it Gordon Gee who mentioned 20 several years ago? UConn definitely fits here, as well as the B12 schools.

But what about the PAC? Would the key Pacific schools be willing to join the B1G, along with the B12 schools? I doubt it, but it's a theory.

Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Washington, and ... UConn?

A league of 24, in 4 pods of 6? I mean, probably not. No way, right? But it would work.

20 is doable with pods, but 24 wouldn’t be, in my opinion. Combining 2 of the 4 pods into a division of 12 would require 11 conference games and that just doesn’t work with the Big10 schools. 20 would work (9 conference games) and I could see it happening, but who would the 6 schools be? In your scenario, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and UConn would be 4 of them, but the other 2 would be very difficult.

Most, if not all of the original Big1O schools want to play each other as much as possible. Let’s say Michigan, Indiana or OSU were pushed to a pod with all “new” schools (PSU, Maryland, Rutgers and UConn). They would be very “unhappy.” So, to appease the Original 10, they would have to be placed in pods with each other. So that leaves 4 in the East pots and 4 in the West pod. The West pod would be relatively easy to fill. Texas Tech, ISU, or even trying to pull Colorado from the PAC. There are numerous schools tha “could” work.

But that east pod? Not so much. In fact, besides UConn, there really only is 1 NE/Mid Atlantic school not in the ACC that would be ready for the Big10 athletically, and that’s WVU. They aren’t close academically and many Big10 presidents would balk at the thought.

Are there others? Buffalo? Nope. UMass? No. Cincinnati? OSU would fight that to the death. I can’t even think of any other possibilities. I just don’t see pods working. I think it’s why Delany is now floating the divisionless conferences. It would make it easier to fit those couple of schools needed to “finish off” the Big10.

Reaction Score
Large, 20 program conferences, play havoc with traditional rivalries.

Breaking up Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State would be a killer...but in a pod, that pod may be overly strong.

Putting schools together to make geographic sense might lead to the same...like the old Big 12 South dominating the North.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Large, 20 program conferences, play havoc with traditional rivalries.

Breaking up Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State would be a killer...but in a pod, that pod may be overly strong.

Putting schools together to make geographic sense might lead to the same...like the old Big 12 South dominating the North.

Splitting Michigan and OSU would be, but there are some at MSU that would love to be in a pod centered around Chicago. MSU gets the majority of its students from the state of Michigan, but the next biggest area is Chicago. Would MSU like to be in a pod away from UofM? Some would, but if it is feasible, I don’t know.

Mixing up the pods would help, but keeping the original 10 together in two 5 team pods would be very important, at least to fans.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Splitting Michigan and OSU would be, but there are some at MSU that would love to be in a pod centered around Chicago. MSU gets the majority of its students from the state of Michigan, but the next biggest area is Chicago. Would MSU like to be in a pod away from UofM? Some would, but if it is feasible, I don’t know.

Mixing up the pods would help, but keeping the original 10 together in two 5 team pods would be very important, at least to fans.
If you separate traditional rivals, you'd have to make them a guaranteed crossover game.

Reaction Score
....... Breaking up Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State would be a killer...but in a pod, that pod may be overly strong........

As it is, the Big Ten East football with The Ohio State, Mich, Mich State and Penn State is a killer with it making it difficult for any of the 4 to escape conference play without a loss.

Reaction Score
20 is doable with pods, but 24 wouldn’t be, in my opinion. Combining 2 of the 4 pods into a division of 12 would require 11 conference games and that just doesn’t work with the Big10 schools. 20 would work (9 conference games) and I could see it happening, but who would the 6 schools be? In your scenario, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and UConn would be 4 of them, but the other 2 would be very difficult.

I Agree that the B1G's goal is to get to 20 with football broken down into 4 pods of 5. The confernece will likley take the best from which ever conference folds first - the ACC ot XII.

Their idea situation is that the XII folds and ACC becomes unstable. That allows the B1G to go from 14 to 20 schools with - 1) Texas, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Kansas, and 4) Virginia. That leaves the following to schools fight it out for the last 2 slots (not in any order) - 1) UConn, 2) ND, 3) UNC, 4) Duke, 5) G-Tech, 6) Florida St. My guess would be that the Tobacco Road says no to the 'Great Northern Conference' and takes ND (who decides that independence is history and the B1G is as 'national' as one can get and UConn to lock-up the Northeast and Midwest 'Yankeedom.' So, the 4 B1G Pods look like this:
  • East: 1) Connecticut, 2) Rutgers, 3) Penn State, 4) Maryland, 5) Notre Dame
  • Central: 6) Virginia, 7) Ohio St, 8) Michigan, 9) Michigan St, 10) Indiana
  • South: 11) Texas, 12) Oklahoma, 13) Kansas, 14) Nebraska, 15) Iowa
  • North: 16) Minnesota, 17) Wisconsin, 18) Northwestern, 19) Illinois, 20) Purdue
In this arrangement, ND insistend on being in the 'eastern' pod while Nebraksa pushed to be attached to Texas for recruting reasons. Protected cross-over rivals are put in place between UVA and Maryland, Indiana and Purdue, etc.

Reaction Score
I Agree that the B1G's goal is to get to 20 with football broken down into 4 pods of 5. The confernece will likley take the best from which ever conference folds first - the ACC ot XII.

Their idea situation is that the XII folds and ACC becomes unstable. That allows the B1G to go from 14 to 20 schools with - 1) Texas, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Kansas, and 4) Virginia. That leaves the following to schools fight it out for the last 2 slots (not in any order) - 1) UConn, 2) ND, 3) UNC, 4) Duke, 5) G-Tech, 6) Florida St. My guess would be that the Tobacco Road says no to the 'Great Northern Conference' and takes ND (who decides that independence is history and the B1G is as 'national' as one can get and UConn to lock-up the Northeast and Midwest 'Yankeedom.' So, the 4 B1G Pods look like this:
  • North: 16) Minnesota, 17) Wisconsin, 18) Northwestern, 19) Illinois, 20) Purdue
In this arrangement, ND insistend on being in the 'eastern' pod while Nebraksa pushed to be attached to Texas for recruting reasons. Protected cross-over rivals are put in place between UVA and Maryland, Indiana and Purdue, etc.
ACC has a GOR until 2036. Under the guidance of the beloved ESPN network, the ACC is more stable than any other conference. No one is leaving. I don't understand why people keep thinking this. ND cannot join any conference other than the ACC until 2036 without breaking the GOR. The fact is UConn is in the AAC for the foreseeable future and if the budget deficit continues, it may not even be in the AAC for long. Let's please get real here.

Reaction Score
24 in pods of 6 would be "big", but can you really walk away from the states of CA, WA, and OR if they wanted to come? Tough to say "no", I should think, if you can snare the likes of Stanford, USC, WA, et al. But I doubt the "PAC scenario" arises.

Back to 20.

You add Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas. Then you finish off the NE Corridor with UConn.

That leaves two.

With the big guns of Texas and Oklahoma for football, and Kansas for basketball, you have the luxury of adding two schools for "other" reasons, so long as they are cultural fits.

The State of Texas, for example, would be much better saturated with a 24/7/365 B1G presence in Greater Houston, especially given the proximity of the SEC. How about Rice? Rice would sure make the Longhorns happy.

Want an additional tremendous recruiting ground? Plus, stick it in the eye of the SEC, lol? Tulane? Think of the party you get in Nawlins, lol. Fun. And fantastic high school footballers.

The ACC is locked down. I guess you could hang at 18 until 2036, then see what comes from the ACC, if anything. Long time off, though.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Well I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. Shouldn't UVA be in the East and ND in the Central?

Reaction Score
Well I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat. Shouldn't UVA be in the East and ND in the Central?

Anyone of us would. The basic context is that if there is to be further conference realignment, its in UConn's best interest for the XII to fall apart instead of the ACC. The XII has 3 potential B1G targets in Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas thus leaving more 'slots' that UConn can hopefully fill and, if UConn can't move to the B1G, it would still be attractive to the ACC. If the ACC was to fold, that's a lot of schools the BIG could be interested in ahead of UConn (UVA, UNC, Duke, G Tech, Florida St, Miami) and what's left, especially if the SEC and XII poach a few others, would leave a conference that is basically at the same level as the American.

ND views itself as a 'national' school first and a 'eastern' school second. Thus, ND would whine just enough to get its football team into the eastern 'pod.' Plus, from a football view point, putting ND, Michigan, Michigan, St, and Ohio St in the same pod would be epic; but problematic from a football playoff view. So, to make things even from a football view (for all other sports, I think a East/West split with 10 teams each would be easier):
  • South: Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa
  • North: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan St, Illinois
  • Central: Purdue, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio St, Virginia
  • East: UConn, Rutgers, Penn St, Maryland, ND
Each team gets 11 games. 4 games would be against each team's pod rivals. Then, there would be 2 non-pod cross-over games that change annually. That would leave 4 open slots for non-conference games from which 1 game could be set-aside for a 'locked' non-pod conference rivalry, such as Michigan v. Michigan St, UVA v. Maryland, Minnesota v. Iowa, etc., that would not count towards the standings. The 11th game would be an 'open' conference game where the 4 pod leaders play each other in the conference semi-finals (call it Chicago and DC) and the other 16 teams are then paired-off, likley with the best teams playing each other to boost Bowl chances. High School conferences do this a lot. The 12th game would be the conference final, which to make its new members happy would be in Dallas, with an 'automatic' playoff bid at play.

Reaction Score
ACC has a GOR until 2036. Under the guidance of the beloved ESPN network, the ACC is more stable than any other conference. No one is leaving. I don't understand why people keep thinking this. ND cannot join any conference other than the ACC until 2036 without breaking the GOR. The fact is UConn is in the AAC for the foreseeable future and if the budget deficit continues, it may not even be in the AAC for long. Let's please get real here.

Note, that I did not include a time frame for a reason. Also, when it comes to legal contacts, 1) the 'big' player in any negiotaion always leaves some wiggle room and I find it hard to beleive that ND does not have loophole in its ACC agreement should other events take place (ditto for U Texas in the XII) and, of course, money can always trump a contract.

Reaction Score
Note, that I did not include a time frame for a reason. Also, when it comes to legal contacts, 1) the 'big' player in any negiotaion always leaves some wiggle room and I find it hard to beleive that ND does not have loophole in its ACC agreement should other events take place (ditto for U Texas in the XII) and, of course, money can always trump a contract.
You forget that ESPN, which is essentially the bank, controls all of this They essentially have put all of their money of the table with the ACC. They will not allow the scenario you describe to occur. 2036 is a long, long,way away. UConn will not be able to sustain its athletic programs for more than a couple years, at most. Neither ND nor Virginia can leave the ACC. It will not be permitted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom