Big Papi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Papi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This article is a pretty good account of the real David Ortiz. The fraudulent myth of Big Papi

"possessing a persecution complex that would make Richard Nixon blush" -- From then on I know it's a joke. Also, ending an article with "David Ortiz is a jerk?" What a whiny, petty little brat of a journalist. If he had a personal run-in with Ortiz that didn't go well, I get it, but the average ballplayer isn't all smiles and kisses with the media.

Reaction Score
Or they read the newspapers.

He failed a drug test.

The article is regarding a 2003 test. I can list many Yankees and steroid usage from then. Wasn't banned until then and tested in 2004. Not right but that's what it was.

Reaction Score
Manfred Questions David Ortiz's Positive Drug Test

Manfred questions David Ortiz's positive drug test, urges leniency by Hall voters

Commissioner Rob Manfred says it’s unfair for Red Sox slugger David Ortiz’s legacy to be tarnished by his positive drug test in Major League Baseball’s 2003 anonymous drug testing survey, since it’s unknown whether Ortiz actually used a performance-enhancing drug.

There were at least 10 false positives in the survey testing, Manfred said Sunday before Ortiz’s final regular-season game at Fenway Park, and it’s possible that Ortiz was one of the false tests.

Manfred confirmed that Ortiz also has never failed a drug test since MLB implemented its drug policy in 2004 and strengthened it numerous times in the decade-plus since.

“Even if your name was on that (anonymous) list,’’ Manfred said, “it’s entirely possible that you were not a positive.

“I don’t think anyone understands very well what that list was.’’

“There were double digits of names, more than 10, which we knew there were legitimate scientific questions about whether or not those truly were positives," Manfred said Sunday. "If there were test results like that today on a player, and we tried to discipline, there would be a big grievance over it. It would be fully aired, vetted, tried, resolved.

“Back then, it was hard to distinguish between certain substances that were legal, available over the counter, and not banned under our program,’’ Manfred said, “and certain banned substances.

“We were not certain it was a banned substance as opposed to something that was available over the counter and legal. … Even if Rob Manfred’s name was on that list, he might have been one of those 10 or 15 where there was probably, or possibly, a very legitimate explanation that did not involve the use of a banned substance

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Must be something about outlaws that makes New Englanders go damp in their undies....Whitey Bulger, the Kennedys, Tom Brady.

I guess Ortiz is just the flavor the month there.

You kids love a bad boy.

Reaction Score
The article is regarding a 2003 test. I can list many Yankees and steroid usage from then. Wasn't banned until then and tested in 2004. Not right but that's what it was.
Absolutely a bunch of Yankees, Red Sox and players from every other team. Don't know what that has to do with Ortiz using. Baseball knew it and didn't give a shart because the fans were showing up.

Reaction Score

"I was taking whatever supplements were good at the time, stuff that everybody was using that would sustain me in my workouts,"€™ he said.

Which supplements? The substance that triggered his positive test result has yet to be identified.

"€œIt'€™s been a long time,"€™ Ortiz said. "€œI don'€™t know."€™

He must have a clue, he was told. He had previously stated he was "€œcareless"€™ about the products he put in his body.

"All I can tell you is, I was using what everybody was using at the time," Ortiz said. "€œIt'€™s not like I was picky about it."€™

Reaction Score
Reggie Jackson cheated too.....he must have, we just haven't heard about it yet. You Yankee fans are a real piece of work. This guy destroyed you for a decade and the best you can do is say he cheated over an alleged drug test failure that has never been disclosed in detail. As a Red Sox fan, I have no problem w Rivera, jeter, Posada.....all great players. I guess you all give Pettite a free pass even though he ADMITTED using. Ortiz was a Yankee killer, plain and simple. We certainly do t need your validation, we'all let the facts speak for themselves: only team in the HISTORY of baseball to come back from a 3-0 deficit, all on the very broad shoulders of Big Papi. Suck it Bronx Boneheads.

Reaction Score
"I was taking whatever supplements were good at the time, stuff that everybody was using that would sustain me in my workouts,"€™ he said.

Which supplements? The substance that triggered his positive test result has yet to be identified.

"€œIt'€™s been a long time,"€™ Ortiz said. "€œI don'€™t know."€™

He must have a clue, he was told. He had previously stated he was "€œcareless"€™ about the products he put in his body.

"All I can tell you is, I was using what everybody was using at the time," Ortiz said. "€œIt'€™s not like I was picky about it."€™
And Manny was using fertility drugs because he was pregnant.

Reaction Score
Must be something about outlaws that makes New Englanders go damp in their undies....Whitey Bulger, the Kennedys, Tom Brady.

You kids love a bad boy.

Awww. Yanks will make playoffs again someday. Corners up big guy.

Okay I'm out of this thread before I get banned, shamed or something. Love the rivalry. Nothing like the Yanks and Sox.

Reaction Score
Reggie Jackson cheated too.....he must have, we just haven't heard about it yet. You Yankee fans are a real piece of work. This guy destroyed you for a decade and the best you can do is say he cheated over an alleged drug test failure that has never been disclosed in detail. As a Red Sox fan, I have no problem w Rivera, jeter, Posada.....all great players. I guess you all give Pettite a free pass even though he ADMITTED using. Ortiz was a Yankee killer, plain and simple. We certainly do t need your validation, we'all let the facts speak for themselves: only team in the HISTORY of baseball to come back from a 3-0 deficit, all on the very broad shoulders of Big Papi. Suck it Bronx Boneheads.

I have no problems with Pedroia or Pedro. Pettite was never given a pass and when Yankee fans try to bring him up for Hall of Fame other Yankee fans say no chance because he used.

I have no problem if they put Ortiz in the Hall. As long as Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Roger Clemens, Rafael Palmeiro and others go in before him.

Reaction Score
Ortiz using is so far down the list of why I think he's a phony. Yes Pettite also used as did a bunch of Yankees. I promise you that Yankee fans aren't jealous of the Red Sox or Ortiz. I've been a huge fan of a bunch of Red Sox players, Ortiz is just not one of them for a host of reasons. Manny was also a cheater but he was a real guy, you knew what you were getting. Ortiz underneath the false image is a huge touchhole who is out for himself.

Reaction Score
You mean you don't want their numbers to be what Papi's were prior to meeting Manny? Actually those are real good compared to the guy who played in the band box Hefty Bag park prior to finding his pal Manny.

Great career, exceptional just like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, ARod, Bagwell etc etc etc.actually hitting wise more clutch than most all of them. But he's still "them" like it or not! Hey Piazza made it in although he found did wear a glove too. He may make it, I guess they all will eventually.
Commisioner: ‘Entirely possible’ David Ortiz did not test positive in 2003 - The Boston Globe

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You mean you don't want their numbers to be what Papi's were prior to meeting Manny? Actually those are real good compared to the guy who played in the band box Hefty Bag park prior to finding his pal Manny.

Great career, exceptional just like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, ARod, Bagwell etc etc etc.actually hitting wise more clutch than most all of them. But he's still "them" like it or not! Hey Piazza made it in although he found did wear a glove too. He may make it, I guess they all will eventually.
IMG_1096.JPG

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

This actually not remotely looking at the whole picture. He's always been big, and he's always had power. His production was due to injuries, not having regular playing time, and inconsistency. He got injured 3 out of 4 of his first big league years, a monster minor league season sandwiched in between.

He raked in the minors (Minor League Player of the Year and all that). Moved up really fast, and was probably promoted too quickly. Started out hitting well, but quickly broke a bone in his wrist. After rehab and eventually getting regular time, he became one of the better rookies in the league.

Started slow next spring training (1999) and farmed out to the minors. But he led the PCL with 110 RBI, and tied for first with 68 extra-base hits (35 doubles, three triples and 30 home runs). Hit so well they were forced to bring him back up.

Had a slow start the next year (2000) on a bad team, but started to rake in the second half to salvage the season.

In 2001, he fractured his wrist requiring surgery. Had to become a singles hitter because he lost the snap in his swing. The Twins tried to get DH David Ortiz to shorten his stroke and punch balls up the middle and to the opposite field. The results were decent: a .282 batting average, 10 homers and 63 RBIs in 415 at-bats.

In 2002 he had knee issues, got scoped in early 2002, so he missed a lot of the first half of that season as well. He struggled when coming back, but salvaged the season with a big second half, ending with 32 doubles, 20 homers and 75 RBIs, in only 125 games.

GM Terry Ryan responded by releasing him so "the team wouldn’t have to pay him $2 million, money they could use to keep Torii Hunter (the Twins let him sign somewhere else in 2008), and to keep shortstop Jose Morban on the roster." Ryan's called it the biggest mistake of his career.

He's always been big, and he's always had pop. If he wasn't injured all the time, and got regular at bats (without Tom Kelly shuffling him around), he would have put up a lot better overall numbers. Poor management by Tom Kelly on this one.

Reaction Score
I have no problems with Pedroia or Pedro. Pettite was never given a pass and when Yankee fans try to bring him up for Hall of Fame other Yankee fans say no chance because he used.

I have no problem if they put Ortiz in the Hall. As long as Barry Bonds, Alex Rodriguez, Roger Clemens, Rafael Palmeiro and others go in before him.

Tell me where I said anything about Ortiz belonging in the HOF. The idiot Yankee fans in this thread are stringing him up like a murderer.......without having any frigging idea what he has done for the Boston community. And conveniently ignoring all the cheaters and criminals that have worn the pinstripes over the years. Pretty shallow, but then what would you expect from fans that thought Georg Steinbrenner was a genius.

Reaction Score
Ortiz using is so far down the list of why I think he's a phony. Yes Pettite also used as did a bunch of Yankees. I promise you that Yankee fans aren't jealous of the Red Sox or Ortiz. I've been a huge fan of a bunch of Red Sox players, Ortiz is just not one of them for a host of reasons. Manny was also a cheater but he was a real guy, you knew what you were getting. Ortiz underneath the false image is a huge touchhole who is out for himself.

Then give your SPECIFIC reasons why he's a phony

Reaction Score
Tell me where I said anything about Ortiz belonging in the HOF. The idiot Yankee fans in this thread are stringing him up like a murderer..without having any frigging idea what he has done for the Boston community. And conveniently ignoring all the cheaters and criminals that have worn the pinstripes over the years. Pretty shallow, but then what would you expect from fans that thought Georg Steinbrenner was a genius.
Who the hell in this thread has ignored Yankee players that used roids? You're letting your emotions take over and aren't being truthful.

Reaction Score
Tell me where I said anything about Ortiz belonging in the HOF. The idiot Yankee fans in this thread are stringing him up like a murderer..without having any frigging idea what he has done for the Boston community. And conveniently ignoring all the cheaters and criminals that have worn the pinstripes over the years. Pretty shallow, but then what would you expect from fans that thought Georg Steinbrenner was a genius.

You mean like not as bad as A-Rod was treated by Red Sox fans? Who cares what he did for his community when we are talking about baseball. I know every Yankee who has identified as a steroid user and have never defended them using.

Yankee fans liked Steinbrenner cause he wanted to win and put up the money too. Every Yankee fan knows they were made by Gene Michael while Steinbrenner was banned. But what should I expect from this particular idiot Red Sox fan.

Reaction Score

You kids love a bad boy.

Tom Brady an outlaw? Good grief.

Reaction Score
I've got no dog in the fight but when you put those kinds of numbers up at that advanced age there will always be doubts. Even Red Sox fans have to wonder or at least consider it a strong possibility that he had help.

I'm a Mets fan, loved Piazza & was happy to see him get in the HOF but realistically I'd be shocked if he never did PED's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom