Big Papi | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Papi

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Funny how people read athletes differently, I find him to be the biggest phony in sports. That big bear of a guy jolly image turns pretty damn nasty as soon as there is any perceived hint of slighting him or questioning him.

That's definitely a personal thing. If he was a Yankee, you would simply call it his competitiveness, or the fiery latin part of his personality. He's definitely sensitive, no question about that.

The people who really know though, other MLB players, love the guy. Especially the Latin players. They rave about him, calling him their big brother, the godfather, etc. But don't take my word for it:

“He’s like a big brother or a father. He can be different things depending who you are,” Baltimore shortstop Manny Machado said. “For me, I like talking to him because he’s so positive. He’ll say something that will bring you up when you are down. When a guy with his résumé takes interest in you, it’s incredible. It’s one of the things I’ve always appreciated.”

There was a time in the game when fraternization was banned and being too friendly with the opposition was seen as a character defect. But Ortiz walked across those boundaries, real or imagined, without looking back.

“He’s one of my best friends and one of the best guys in the game. I’ve gotten a lot of great advice on life from him,” Toronto designated hitter Edwin Encarnacion said. “He always tells me to enjoy the moment because you don’t know when it will end. For me, you know he wants to help you. I’m honored to be here for his last All-Star Game.”

“I looked up to David when I was young,” said Yankees reliever Dellin Betances, who was born in New York City of Dominican parents. “Competing against him at the highest level is an honor. But getting to know him, that is even better. He has always given me good advice on how to take care of myself. We’re going to miss seeing him.”

“Everybody loves Big Papi. But he wants to win more than anybody,” Cabrera said. “He’s always helping people out and then he’ll get up and hit a home run off them. I still remember 2013. He took us out.”

“I’m beyond glad he’s doing what he’s doing. I don’t want him to do well against us, but I like to see how well he’s playing. It’s exciting,” Machado said. “I want him to sign with the Orioles and keep playing.”

“I’m glad I’m here because we had a chance to spend some time together and enjoy ourselves,” Colon said via a translator. “We talked a lot [Monday] night, and I told him I didn’t want him to retire. If it was up to me, I wouldn’t let him retire. We’ll miss him in so many ways.”

“For me, he’s like a big brother,” Cano said. "It’s going to be sad seeing him go, but we have to respect his decision.What a great career. That’s a career every player would love to have.”

It goes on and on and on. Latin players or not, players always want to talk about what great guy he is, right along next to how good he was. That doesn't happen with d--k heads.

Reaction Score
Speaking of whiny babies and cheating the Patriots must be thrilled Brady is back next week.

Ah quit your constant bellyaching. Jeez. All I heard this week in Buffalo is how boring it must be to be a Patriots fan because they win so much. The jealousy is unbelievable. It is so bad that the owners actually band together to force a handicap on the Patriots. Pathetic. Vince McMahon WWF style.

Reaction Score
Are Yankees fans upset that 90% of his home runs have come while he hasn't failed a single drug test and it's possible that 100% of his home runs have come without a failed drug test if Ortiz was one of the false positives?

Reaction Score
You mean like not as bad as A-Rod was treated by Red Sox fans? Who cares what he did for his community when we are talking about baseball. I know every Yankee who has identified as a steroid user and have never defended them using.

Yankee fans liked Steinbrenner cause he wanted to win and put up the money too. Every Yankee fan knows they were made by Gene Michael while Steinbrenner was banned. But what should I expect from this particular idiot Red Sox fan.
More than one dopey Yankee fan in this thread has called him a complete phony for reasons that go beyond baseball. THAT is what I was referring to. And not for nothing, but ARod got suspended for a year......no one, and I mean NO ONE on this board can say what, if anything, Ortiz is "guilty" of. The Commissioner himself, who presumably knows more than any of you bozos, cast doubt on the whole farce. As the mighty JC once said, "get some facts and come back and see me".

You guys are quite amusing when you can't admit the guy is one of the most clutch hitters in the history of baseball. It really shows how shallow you are, rooting interests aside. But that's ok, we'll always have the first comeback from 3-0 to hold over the Yankees.

Reaction Score
Are Yankees fans upset that 90% of his home runs have come while he hasn't failed a single drug test and it's possible that 100% of his home runs have come without a failed drug test if Ortiz was one of the false positives?
No, they're just stupid

Reaction Score
More than one dopey Yankee fan in this thread has called him a complete phony for reasons that go beyond baseball. THAT is what I was referring to. And not for nothing, but ARod got suspended for a year.no one, and I mean NO ONE on this board can say what, if anything, Ortiz is "guilty" of. The Commissioner himself, who presumably knows more than any of you bozos, cast doubt on the whole farce. As the mighty JC once said, "get some facts and come back and see me".

You guys are quite amusing when you can't admit the guy is one of the most clutch hitters in the history of baseball. It really shows how shallow you are, rooting interests aside. But that's ok, we'll always have the first comeback from 3-0 to hold over the Yankees.

Ortiz is an amazing clutch hitter. No problem saying that.

Reaction Score
No, they're just stupid

There were 104 who failed. Article says there were about 10 false positives. Since you are so smart, what is the percentage chance that Ortiz did in fact test positive?

Reaction Score
No one should be compared to ARod
He sued MLB the players union and the Yankees team doctor
That's a special kind of

Reaction Score
There were 104 who failed. Article says there were about 10 false positives. Since you are so smart, what is the percentage chance that Ortiz did in fact test positive?
Less than the 100% Yankees fans have been assuming?

Reaction Score
Or they read the newspapers.

He failed a drug test.
Which drug test was that Fishy? And what did he fail for? And how long was he suspended for? And how many drug tests did he fail once they put that sham method to rest and put the new rules in place? Never thought you would be such a .

But I guess since it was printed it must be true......

Reaction Score
More than one dopey Yankee fan in this thread has called him a complete phony for reasons that go beyond baseball. THAT is what I was referring to. And not for nothing, but ARod got suspended for a year.no one, and I mean NO ONE on this board can say what, if anything, Ortiz is "guilty" of. The Commissioner himself, who presumably knows more than any of you bozos, cast doubt on the whole farce. As the mighty JC once said, "get some facts and come back and see me".

More of you ascribing false statements to people in this thread. Nobody denied any Yankees used steroids and nobody said Ortiz isn't a clutch hitter, it has actually been the complete opposite. That you feel the need to make up things doesn't speak all that well to your character.

Reaction Score
Ah quit your constant bellyaching. Jeez. All I heard this week in Buffalo is how boring it must be to be a Patriots fan because they win so much. The jealousy is unbelievable. It is so bad that the owners actually band together to force a handicap on the Patriots. Pathetic. Vince McMahon WWF style.
Is Paterno still your hero?

Reaction Score
I know one thing for sure, NONE of us, including you Einstein, knows for sure that he failed a drug test. You're just dumb enough to believe it cuz you read it in a newspaper.

Reaction Score
This guy is a self-described "unapologetic, lifelong Yankees fan" and a season ticket holder. Shocking piece of writing from a Yankees fan.

Let's read Shaunessy's then..

Reaction Score
More of you ascribing false statements to people in this thread. Nobody denied any Yankees used steroids and nobody said Ortiz isn't a clutch hitter, it has actually been the complete opposite. That you feel the need to make up things doesn't speak all that well to your character.
Ok Mr short memory, why don't you list the "host of reasons" that you think Ortiz is a phony and let's see how many of them pertain to baseball. On multiple occasions in this thread you've very strongly suggested that Ortiz is a phony that has all of Boston snow-jobbed. Let's hear all of your reasons that are way above Ortiz using. These are your words, not mine. So back them up or shut up.

Reaction Score
I know one thing for sure, NONE of us, including you Einstein, knows for sure that he failed a drug test. You're just dumb enough to believe it cuz you read it in a newspaper.

You love throwing insults around about this topic. Since you couldn't figure it out, even with false positives, there is a little over 90% chance that Ortiz in fact tested positive.

Reaction Score
You love throwing insults around about this topic. Since you couldn't figure it out, even with false positives, there is a little over 90% chance that Ortiz in fact tested positive.
What did he test positive for? Why wasn't he suspended? Tell me the facts......

Reaction Score
What test did he fail? And for what substance?

What test did Barry Bonds fail and what substance? What test did Clemens fail and what substance? What test did ARod fail and what substance?

It's easy to play your game.

Reaction Score
What did he test positive for? Why wasn't he suspended? Tell me the facts.

Because it was survey testing which the players association and MLB agreed to to see if they needed further testing. No one was subject to suspension.

Reaction Score
Don't ever immune my character......I'm not the one that threw out a bunch of veiled claims and then didn't back them up. That was you. You made it seem as if this guy is a cancer. Let's hear why.

Reaction Score
Reggie Jackson cheated too.....he must have, we just haven't heard about it yet. You Yankee fans are a real piece of work. This guy destroyed you for a decade and the best you can do is say he cheated over an alleged drug test failure that has never been disclosed in detail. As a Red Sox fan, I have no problem w Rivera, jeter, Posada.....all great players. I guess you all give Pettite a free pass even though he ADMITTED using. Ortiz was a Yankee killer, plain and simple. We certainly do t need your validation, we'all let the facts speak for themselves: only team in the HISTORY of baseball to come back from a 3-0 deficit, all on the very broad shoulders of Big Papi. Suck it Bronx Boneheads.

Hilarious and stupid at the same time. If that's all you get out of it you're as naive as the next guy. Suck it Bronx boneheads, wow real creative. He killed us no doubt and Lord knows he scared us every swing. Does that take away from the obvious? Heck Andy did it, so did Texierra and he stopped for his health or something because he couldn't hit like the 50 yr old DH you have. Wonder why?

And by the way Reggie may have, heck jeter may have no one is denying whats happened in baseball but the nation. We know plenty of Yankees did - Leyritz, Andy but imagine your 2004 team - lol - Varitek, Kapler, Manny, Papster - it's no different guys. No one said he wasn't great as a Sox player and kicked our ass. He just didn't do it ever until he got there - figure it out Einstein!

Reaction Score
What test did Barry Bonds fail and what substance? What test did Clemens fail and what substance? What test did ARod fail and what substance?

It's easy to play your game.
Except we aren't talking about them, we're talking about Ortiz. The only other guys I mentioned were Pettite. (Admitted) and A Fraud (suspended). Not quite the same.....can you see the difference or would you like me to tell it to you slower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom