Big Papi | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big Papi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one should be compared to ARod
He sued MLB the players union and the Yankees team doctor
That's a special kind of

He never called out official scorers though, who's more worried about themselves? C'mon they're both phonies, neither is better than the other. Only in your world are they, or shall I say is he? All because he said this is My Town and you believe him. LOL priceless

Reaction Score
Because it was survey testing which the players association and MLB agreed to to see if they needed further testing. No one was subject to suspension.
And what happened when they tested Ortiz further? TWELVE years of clean tests and his numbers just got better and better. Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Reaction Score
End this chatter no one is going to get to this love infested group of Papi supporter. We are dirtying up the basketball board with this naive banter.

NEXT

Reaction Score
Cause we don't pretend that Ortiz never failed a drug test?
I don't pretend that - he probably was using something then and he certainly might be now.

It's just funny that there are frequently Giants threads on this board, and pretty much only Giants fans seem to post in them. Yet anytime a Pats or Red Sox thread is started, the majority of the posts are from non-Boston fans.

But I guess if your city has two teams in every sport and they all stink, those fans might be a little miserable.

Reaction Score
It's just funny that there are frequently Giants threads on this board, and pretty much only Giants fans seem to post in them. Yet anytime a Pats or Red Sox thread is started, the majority of the posts are from non-Boston fans.

Well considering all the Pats threads I have seen on the basketball board were about Deflategate, why wouldn't other fans post in them? The Red Sox threads in the sports thread are all Red Sox fans too.

Reaction Score
Don't ever immune my character.I'm not the one that threw out a bunch of veiled claims and then didn't back them up. That was you. You made it seem as if this guy is a cancer. Let's hear why.
Immune your character, bwahahaha.

Reaction Score
Cause we don't pretend that Ortiz never failed a drug test?
No, because you are like moths to a light whenever a sox fan starts a thread about Papi
He must have done some real damage to the psyche of Yankees Universe.

Reaction Score
No, because you are like moths to a light whenever a sox fan starts a thread about Papi
He must have done some real damage to the psyche of Yankees Universe.

You can talk about Ortiz all you want. The only time I respond is when the Hall of Fame and he should be a first ballot HOF start. If I started a thread that ARod or Andy Pettitte should be in HOF do you think Red Sox fans would chime in?

Reaction Score
I should have been more clear, my "you" was "you Yankees fans" - one in particular.

Reaction Score
Ortiz using is so far down the list of why I think he's a phony. Yes Pettite also used as did a bunch of Yankees. I promise you that Yankee fans aren't jealous of the Red Sox or Ortiz. I've been a huge fan of a bunch of Red Sox players, Ortiz is just not one of them for a host of reasons. Manny was also a cheater but he was a real guy, you knew what you were getting. Ortiz underneath the false image is a huge touchhole who is out for himself.
Manny was a "real" guy? He pushed down an old man - the travelling secretary - in order to force the Red Sox to just dump him as soon as possible.
When has Ortiz pushed an old man down? What awful things has Ortiz done that doesn't make him a "real man"? He does a lot of charity work for children, he's gets along with a ton of current players outside of the Sox and all of his past and current teammates love him. Jeter is a big fan of his. So is Rivera...don't they say something about the company you keep?
Has he made mistakes and has he lost control of his emotions at times. Hell yes. I get a chuckle though when NY fans try to compare him to A-Rod. A-Rod is loathed by virtually everyone in the game except the young yankees players who he tried to take under his wing or something like that.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Must be something about outlaws that makes New Englanders go damp in their undies....Whitey Bulger, the Kennedys, Tom Brady.

I guess Ortiz is just the flavor the month there.

You kids love a bad boy.

Not all of New England. Half of CT is very sane.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What bipolar thinking. Either the guy is a saint who never used steroids or he is a cancer among us?
As a Yankee fan, I feared and respected him. Maybe I was fooled, but he brought joy to the game. I like him.
But to protest that he never used steroids, that is a form of idolatry reserved for Boston. His own words don't leave room for doubt. He "accidentally" used "only what every other player was using" and"apologized" for being careless. For that, I will take Andy Pettitte any day

Reaction Score
I don't pretend that - he probably was using something then and he certainly might be now.

But I guess if your city has two teams in every sport and they all stink, those fans might be a little miserable.

When have our teams always stunk? Yet another idiotic post. Your defense of the dope is NY teams stink?

You guys are both hilarious and forgetful. When did baseball and football start, in the 2000's? LOL and these are the same fans who thought Yankee fans were arrogant and now you are by far the most arrogant fans in the USA. Enjoy your Papi wind down, he's really someone to admire no doubt.:eek:

Reaction Score
Just to piggyback... Huge Yankee fan; have always disliked Ortiz but absolutely feared and respected him as a player. I've never understood how Boston fans could look the other way on his failings and revere him so. This is the same guy they were trying to run out of town a few years ago when he was hideous, the same guy who has made a fool of himself questioning official scorers, watching homeruns, not hustling, etc. and who failed the same drug test as ARod in 2004. Fun fact, ARod and Ortiz have failed the same amount of drug tests. Difference is ARod admitted his doings in 2004, Papi blamed it on some milkshakes and laughed it off. ARod becomes a steroid villain (obviously didn't help his case in subsequent years) Papi gets a pass. Not trying to say ARod is a good guy. Biggest narcissist I've ever seen. But Papi managed to get a pass on his actions from most fans. I don't dislike Ortiz because I think he used steroids; let's face it, baseball was more fun to watch when most were using- I dislike him because he's pulled the wool over so many people.

Reaction Score
Just to piggyback... Huge Yankee fan; have always disliked Ortiz but absolutely feared and respected him as a player. I've never understood how Boston fans could look the other way on his failings and revere him so. This is the same guy they were trying to run out of town a few years ago when he was hideous, the same guy who has made a fool of himself questioning official scorers, watching homeruns, not hustling, etc. and who failed the same drug test as ARod in 2004. Fun fact, ARod and Ortiz have failed the same amount of drug tests. Difference is ARod admitted his doings in 2004, Papi blamed it on some milkshakes and laughed it off. ARod becomes a steroid villain (obviously didn't help his case in subsequent years) Papi gets a pass. Not trying to say ARod is a good guy. Biggest narcissist I've ever seen. But Papi managed to get a pass on his actions from most fans. I don't dislike Ortiz because I think he used steroids; let's face it, baseball was more fun to watch when most were using- I dislike him because he's pulled the wool over so many people.

Boston fans are willing to look the other way when it suits them. Brady. Belichick. Ortiz. They made excuses for Manny until he "became a cancer".

The guy was a DH. And he's getting a bridge named after him?

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I feel truly blessed to have been a UConn, Red Sox, and Patriots fan over the past 20 years. No one will convince me otherwise or make me feel bad about rooting for my favorite teams.

Suck it losers!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You mean you don't want their numbers to be what Papi's were prior to meeting Manny? Actually those are real good compared to the guy who played in the band box Hefty Bag park prior to finding his pal Manny.

Great career, exceptional just like Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, ARod, Bagwell etc etc etc.actually hitting wise more clutch than most all of them. But he's still "them" like it or not! Hey Piazza made it in although he found did wear a glove too. He may make it, I guess they all will eventually.

Even the league now says Ortiz may not have failed the one test he failed in 2003. He's been tested all along, including this year, where does this nonsense come from? Jealousy I suppose. Those who can't perform tearing down those who can.

Reaction Score
Manfred addressed the complex part of Ortiz's legacy.

In 2009, Ortiz's name was leaked to The New York Times as one of the players who tested positive for PEDs in 2003 survey testing, which led to MLB's current drug-testing policy. Manfred noted there were several results that were scientifically indisputable at the time, but could not say whether Ortiz was among them because MLB agreed to keep results confidential and the results were subsequently destroyed.

"I do know that he's never been a positive at any point under our program [implemented in 2004]," said Manfred, who indicated he will meet with Ortiz in the Dominican Republic this winter to discuss a potential role as an ambassador for the league. "I think that the feeling was, at the time that name was leaked, that it was important to make people understand that even if your name was on that list that it was entirely possible that you were not a positive."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You can talk about Ortiz all you want. The only time I respond is when the Hall of Fame and he should be a first ballot HOF start. If I started a thread that ARod or Andy Pettitte should be in HOF do you think Red Sox fans would chime in?

As a Sox fan, A-Rod to HOF....absolutely. No question about it. Pettitte? He's marginal based on performance. Borderline call really. But it's grossly unfair to lump Ortiz's one failure based on the overall pre-ban test in 2003 in with those who more clearly used and abused. Ortiz has been tested all along since they implemented testing and banned use, and has never failed one of those tests.

Most of those many test failures by players in 2003 were likely not steroids, but were for various products everyone could buy at GNC. There were dozens of over the counter supplements used widely by athletes and ordinary people that would result in a positive test. I'm not interested in condemning anyone for taking those supplements, even I did at times.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Even the league now says Ortiz may not have failed the one test he failed in 2003. He's been tested all along, including this year, where does this nonsense come from? Jealousy I suppose. Those who can't perform tearing down those who can.

Of course they say that. They would be sued if they said they were sure. And you assume 99.99 percent of ball played are no longer using? I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Red Sox fan view of steroids: only A-Rod and perhaps some other Yankees used. If Manny did, it doesn't count because we got rid of him (even though we spent years delighting in "Manny being Manny").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom