Big East WBB Media Day Tuesday, Oct 18 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East WBB Media Day Tuesday, Oct 18

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That is very high praise considering how Paige looked after 1 week of practice. So happy to hear she feels so much better.

When Azzi was in 10th grade, Geno thought that she and Paige were the 2 best players in high school. Paige had a very successful freshman season, though her team did not win the championship. Paige and Azzi are different players, but they are on the same level, in my opinion. The skeptics (and others) here will see the Azzi that I saw in high school, only better.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Live!

Thanks Cat. I missed the broadcast. Right as it began, my 3 year old great granddaughter came back into our home office and wanted me to color with her. She has impeccable timing. I couldn't say no. She wouldn't understand why Paw paw didn't want to color RIGHT THEN. :confused: She got right up under me to make sure I colored with her, and not pay any attention to the computer monitor. :(

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika is of course a point guard. My guess is that he means this team doesn't have a UConn-type point guard like Renee or Paige or Crystal who can pull up for a jumper off of a pick and roll. That was such a weapon for those guards but it's just not in Nika's skill-set. She's a point guard but not a typical UConn point guard. Her role in initiating the offense will be different than those other point guards. Sounds like Geno will be putting the ball in Azzi's hands to look for shots off of ball screens much like he did with Paige.

That said, Nika will still play a lot. She is great at pushing the ball in transition and will be good at getting the offense organized. She'll hopefully make enough 3s to help spread the floor and keep defenses honest. Her defense and intensity will be much needed.
And as Geno said in the tweet, the UConn offense often depends on everyone getting touches on many possessions. So whoever's nominally the point guard isn't ball-dominant anyway. I wonder in what fraction of seasons the UConn point guard leads the team in assists. It wouldn't surprise me if it's between half and 3/4. Gabby led the team a couple of times, and did Stef lead them at least once?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Anyone who has watched UConn games closely over the last two seasons knows that that the ball moves very well when Nika is in the game.

She is not the offensive threat that the others are - although I am hopeful that she has upped her game in that regard - but the "flow" seems to work when she is out there.

Her court vision is not talked about much, but it is very good.

Reaction Score
Anyone who has watched UConn games closely over the last two seasons knows that that the ball moves very well when Nika is in the game.

She is not the offensive threat that the others are - although I am hopeful that she has upped her game in that regard - but the "flow" seems to work when she is out there.

If that's all true, then why in the 5 biggest games of the year the NC tournament, did Auriemma only use her for 11 MPG when he needed all the offense he could get?

Carnac

Reaction Score

That's exactly what me and the rest of the nation is counting on. You don't dare double team one of our players and leave somebody w-i-d-e open. :cool: I mentioned this in an earlier comment. UConn will not have any problem scoring. The question is how many ppg will they allow?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Love to hear it.

EVERYTHING I've read and heard about Ice since she committed 3 years ago has been positive. From coaches to fans to players, they all say the same positive things. Everyone is not wrong. I expect Ice to establish herself quickly in the rotation and get her share of minutes nightly.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And as Geno said in the tweet, the UConn offense often depends on everyone getting touches on many possessions. So whoever's nominally the point guard isn't ball-dominant anyway. I wonder in what fraction of seasons the UConn point guard leads the team in assists. It wouldn't surprise me if it's between half and 3/4. Gabby led the team a couple of times, and did Stef lead them at least once?
No for Stef but she had more than 100 assists twice. Maya led the team in assists as a junior and senior.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Buckets

To quote Shirly Temple in one of her movies.................'Oh my goodness" I can't wait t see her in action when she's in rhythm and on a roll. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
There is no reason for Paige to be there and she won't be. Tomorrow is about the upcoming season and Paige won't be a part of it. Geno said they no longer talk about not having Paige for the season. Why would he reverse that and have her be the center of attention?
Can we do the same? I already predicting every loss will be followed on the BY with “if we had Paige” Mark this post.

Carnac

Reaction Score
To quote Shirly Temple in one of her movies.................'Oh my goodness" I can't wait t see her in action when she's in rhythm and on a roll. :rolleyes:
Edit.............Shirley.

Carnac

Reaction Score

The "flow" will work even better next year when KK Arnold arrives on campus for the next 4 years. ;) Pictured below will be KK's "game" attire.

1666130834794.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom