Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

Reaction Score
It's telling how we are crossing our fingers for a bit over 8 mil when a program like BC is getting 30 mil+, Vandy 50 mil +, Northwestern and Rutgers 50 Mil +, Cinci 35 mil + etc etc etc.
I mean, what do you realistically expect?

Reaction Score
I mean, what do you realistically expect?
I have no expectations. It's just shocking how much more football is valued than basketball. I look forward to football season more each year, though I am big into basketball, too. It's shocking to see what even mediocre football can bring an athletic program money-wise and viewer-wise over legendary basketball programs.

Reaction Score
Would it be arrogant if we demanded a greater share than our Big East brethren? We are after all the king of college hoops.

Reaction Score
Would it be arrogant if we demanded a greater share than our Big East brethren? We are after all the king of college hoops.
If we end up on Peacock we deserve a double share. They need us way more than we need them. Let's see the details but I'm guessing some will be highly annoyed. As others have mentioned money is important. But in the context of basketball a top 10 team expects exposure unless you're getting top dollar for a P4 football conference revenue. Then it doesn't matter as much. A few thousand UConn fans may want to subscribe, but that's not the bigger picture. Does it help or hurt our ability to promote the program and lure recruits? That's the important question.

Reaction Score
I have no expectations. It's just shocking how much more football is valued than basketball. I look forward to football season more each year, though I am big into basketball, too. It's shocking to see what even mediocre football can bring an athletic program money-wise and viewer-wise over legendary basketball programs.
It's not mediocre football bringing in the money, though. It's the conference. It just so happens that programs like Vandy and Northwestern were grandfathered in, and that BC was added at a time when UConn football had just upgraded.

The entire Boston College campus could drift into the Atlantic Ocean tomorrow and the ACC would become more valuable by not having them.

Reaction Score
Look. I have nothing against Cincy. UConn and the Bearcats have had a strange fraternity in all the conference re-org stuff.
Also, they know the pain of successful coaches leaving the program, one even left right before a national championship game.
We were almost in that situation so I for one will not throw gas on this fire. It hits too close home. Maybe the scary mojo gods at UConn have finally left, but I'm gonna respect the karma gods. You can all thank me later.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are you aware of how many of those subscriptions are free for peacock? I have it free, you join Comcast rewards and there it is. I wouldn't pay for it otherwise as I'm sure millions of others wouldn't either.

Now, how many total TV households were there in 1980-81 compared to today?

And you can go to any history book about the Big East to know ESPN gets the biggest credit for making the league the giant it quickly became. You are looking foolish here.

I believe I got Peacock through my chase sapphire card which got me a free year of Instacart and a free year of Instacart gets you a year of peacock. Explores this loophole during NFL playoffs.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
the irony of this is hysterical!

our new (power conference) tv deal starting next year is what’s booting the church league off of fox/fs1.

you can’t make this up!

We have rings, and you get to play KU in both basketball and football

Where to you think a sportsFAN wants to land?

Rhetorical question really. Then again, you seem to think we care about wannabes who like to rub elbows with NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

I have been to KU's board, UK's, Cuse's, conference members and tournament opponents. Never found it necessary to visit Bearcat Blues Clues

Butt Hey, remember the Big O? Although even he wouldn't choose Cinci in 2024.

Reaction Score
That's where we are headed for ALL tv/sports. Like it or not (and I'm not saying I like it). I "cut the cord" years ago. The only reason I still have YouTubeTV for live tv is that I want the sports and news channels. I'm paying way too much for that and would love to cancel, but I'm not ready for that yet. My son will watch sports on YTTV, but he doesn't flip around. He puts on a specific game. So sometimes he's on Peacock or ESPN+ for soccer games, sometimes on YTTV. To him, it's all the same. My daughter has never used her YTTV log in. They are going to college next year. I was curious what college kids do for tv. They literally didn't care. They figured they have netflix, MAX, Peacock, etc. and don't care about live tv.

I'd actually be more worried if we were on some crappy network that didn't have a streaming option. I don't know how much we're getting for this deal, but that's more important than where it's televised.
I have two in college, and they mostly use Netfilx. They or their friends have become creative when finding content (I don't understand how and got lost when they tried to tell me). Add in that they are in college and have limited time to watch tv other than what is must see.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Not arrogant. It would be flat out stupid.

To get more money than DePaul? Do explain.

Demanding uneven media revenue sharing from the conference may be something we consider but it will lead to one of two outcomes:

1 - They refuse upfront, which we really can't do much in response to as we currently have little in terms of options.
2 - They agree, on the condition that our departure fee increases significantly, which would at best neutralze (financially) the benefit of additional revenues prior to our departure.

We need to show some diplomacy here. It may not hurt to mention our role in the overall value of the media deal but all parties are fully aware that we will leave in a heartbeat if something better comes along,

Reaction Score
Demanding uneven media revenue sharing from the conference may be something we consider but it will lead to one of two outcomes:

1 - They refuse upfront, which we really can't do much in response to as we currently have little in terms of options.
2 - They agree, on the condition that our departure fee increases significantly, which would at best neutralze (financially) the benefit of additional revenues prior to our departure.

We need to show some diplomacy here. It may not hurt to mention our role in the overall value of the media deal but all parties are fully aware that we will leave in a heartbeat if something better comes along,
I am hoping for rights for our women’s basketball none conference games

Reaction Score
I can stomach it if it means the TV deal is between $12M-$15M per year for UConn. We need the cash. Otherwise it’s a huge middle finger to the fans by Commissioner Val
0% chance this deal is going up 300-400%. It'll go up 80% and Val will call that a massive win for the league.

Reaction Score

our new (power conference) tv deal starting next year is what’s booting the church league off of fox/fs1.

you can’t make this up!

The "my team is terrible but they happened to be added to a power conference so let me go to a champion's message board and brag about money that isn't mine" move has a distinct Rutgers vibe. Congrats on being the Rutgers of the Big 12.

Reaction Score
The "my team is terrible but they happened to be added to a power conference so let me go to a champion's message board and brag about money that isn't mine" move has a distinct Rutgers vibe. Congrats on being the Rutgers of the Big 12.
Boston College too. Great company to be apart of

Reaction Score
0% chance this deal is going up 300-400%. It'll go up 80% and Val will call that a massive win for the league.
$8-9M would not be terrible. NCAA credits added in would have the top schools earning $10M+ annually in that scenario. Obviously, I hope it's more. There's a lot working for the Big East in these negotiations. They just wrapped up a 12-year contract and in that time the conference has won 4 men's titles and added a huge brand in UConn on both the Men's and Women's side. I would not be shocked if Val maneuvered the league into a $1B/8-year deal. We'll see - hopefully soon?

Reaction Score

you can’t make this up!
I appreciate you @kobe. You really help us appreciate the fact we're fans of a winning team, rather than some school riding the coattails of their significantly more successful conference peers. We don't get many BC, Cuse, or Rutgers fans here anymore, but you help fill the "jealous little brother" void they left.

Reaction Score
The old contract was without UConn in the mix. Our media rights alone after the back to back championships had to be monster leverage for the league. Plus if we are giving up linear TV for partial streaming rights, that means $$. I will be mad if we can't get to $12M/year with all of those factors added in

Reaction Score
The MAC's new deal is $2-2.5 million (up from $800,000) and all they did was add UMass. Seems like a good sign for us.
Hopefully the MAC’s deal includes UConn football

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom