Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

Reaction Score
The MAC's new deal is $2-2.5 million (up from $800,000) and all they did was add UMass. Seems like a good sign for us.
seriously? They got a 200-300% increase? That does bode well for us

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we do end up at $12 million per year as some are hoping, that would pay for revenue sharing on par with the P4. P4 schools will only spend 35% at most of revenue sharing dollars on men's basketball. At $22 million, that is about $7.5 million per year. We are currently getting just north of $4 million per year from the Big East TV contract.

Reaction Score
It’s better then being independent and making $500,000 a year

Reaction Score
Not arrogant. It would be flat out stupid.
Because why would the league want to give its most recognized and respected team more than DePaul? Or Georgetown. I mean they were a big deal 40 years ago. I’m not sure the internet won’t just crash when those 2 giants meet on peacock.

Reaction Score
Because why would the league want to give its most recognized and respected team more than DePaul? Or Georgetown. I mean they were a big deal 40 years ago. I’m not sure the internet won’t just crash when those 2 giants meet on peacock.
What's our leverage?

Reaction Score
Proceeds to argue non-stop for 3 more pages

The thread police shut in again

If someone wants to engage and continue conversation, should I ignore them?

Ask for your permission to continue?

Find something productive to do.

Reaction Score
The thread police shut in again

If someone wants to engage and continue conversation, should I ignore them?

Ask for your permission to continue?

Find something productive to do.
If someone wants to engage and continue conversation should I ignore them? YES

Ask for your permission to continue? YES

Find something productive to do? YES

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The MAC's new deal is $2-2.5 million (up from $800,000) and all they did was add UMass. Seems like a good sign for us.

That is amazing, since aren't several of the MAC schools on death watch over the next 10 years? How many directional schools does a rapidly aging state like Michigan need?

Reaction Score
I have no expectations. It's just shocking how much more football is valued than basketball. I look forward to football season more each year, though I am big into basketball, too. It's shocking to see what even mediocre football can bring an athletic program money-wise and viewer-wise over legendary basketball programs.
It's clear the football schools are holding the NCAA hostage NOT because football is that much more popular, but because they can.

It's the power dynamic.

They've not only forced the NCAA into funding itself exclusively with basketball tournament revenue, but they are taking the money from the men's and women's tournament and using it to pay top football players demanding NIL money from the distant past.

If basketball didn't have to pay the bills for ALL NCAA sports, it would be worth a heckuva lot more.

Reaction Score
That is amazing, since aren't several of the MAC schools on death watch over the next 10 years? How many directional schools does a rapidly aging state like Michigan need?
Remember, there are a ton of non-directional smaller schools like Wayne State, Saginaw State, Grand Valley St, Lake Superior St, Ferris St, UMich Dearborn, Mich Tech, U Mich Flint, Oakland U.

They can close all of these and route them into the directionals first.

And of course community colleges. The only thing that prevents them from doing this is state politics.

Reaction Score
It's clear the football schools are holding the NCAA hostage NOT because football is that much more popular, but because they can.

It's the power dynamic.

They've not only forced the NCAA into funding itself exclusively with basketball tournament revenue, but they are taking the money from the men's and women's tournament and using it to pay top football players demanding NIL money from the distant past.

If basketball didn't have to pay the bills for ALL NCAA sports, it would be worth a heckuva lot more.
Yep.

Why was basketball funding NCAA sports all along? I've never seen anyone do a deep dive on the history of this.

Reaction Score
Yep.

Why was basketball funding NCAA sports all along? I've never seen anyone do a deep dive on the history of this.
NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma - Wikipedia I believe this is part of the answer to your question...Plus in 1990 CBS signed a $1B/7yr deal for the NCAA Tournament TV rights, and as far as I can tell, the NCAA never owned the Bowls, and there was no playoff so therefore no mega TV rights for the NCAA to sell.

Reaction Score

And what would be deemed a good deal ? Would $6 Million a team, $8 Million a team or $10 Million a team per year be considered a good deal ?
$6,000,000 is just a COLA in 2012 vs 2024 $.’s Anytjing more would be a home run .
, and actually more than P conferences are getting for basketball . These are conferences with better ratings and a rising interest in women’s basketball.where the Big East lags .
Without UConn’s return based on markets and ratings . Fox was overpaying them at $4,000,000 .
That!’s not from a UConn fan perspective thats from a cold hearted business perspective.
The good news is the unequal distribution for NCAA money , the bad news is that distribution should be doublef

Reaction Score
I appreciate you @kobe. You really help us appreciate the fact we're fans of a winning team, rather than some school riding the coattails of their significantly more successful conference peers. We don't get many BC, Cuse, or Rutgers fans here anymore, but you help fill the "jealous little brother" void they left.
But it's not even "jealous little brother". It's more like annoying little next door neighbor who is too uncoordinated to play sports but sits in the crowd and tries to make fun of everyone on the field through his nightime retainer that he has to wear 24/7

Reaction Score
stupid if we did or stupid if we didnt?

what are the teams that get less revenue gonna do about it? leave for the A10?
Exactly what leverage do we have? We just got passed by again in realignment. And everyone knows we would leave for any P4 offer. What is our negotiating stance, "give us more money or we jump to the A10?

Now, if the conference is dumb enough to offer more, of course we take it. Why they would make such and offer is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Exactly what leverage do we have? We just got passed by again in realignment. And everyone knows we would leave for any P4 offer. What is our negotiating stance, "give us more money or we jump to the A10?

Now, if the conference is dumb enough to offer more, of course we take it. Why they would make such and offer is beyond me.
But it wouldn’t be stupid to try

Reaction Score
Feels kinda like we should wait for, oh, any details on the actual deal before deciding on how good or bad it really is, but what do I know!
WTF! You’re bringing common sense and rationale thought to the BY!
You my good sir look really foolish!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom