Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

Reaction Score
I’ll say this.. really hope we avoid the “stick most popular team behind a paywall because their fans will pay for it” situation with Max and Peacock. Would really be unfortunate.

Granted, we also get by FAR the best ratings on FOX/FS1, how this shakes out starting in 2025 will be interesting to monitor
You need to remember that the BE contract is for BOTH men's and women's basketball games. And, when games are on TNT, they normally show them on both TNT and MAX. Peacock is becoming more mainstream as they had about 35 Big 10 basketball games on last year as well as the first day of the Big 10 tournament. Nine Big 10 football games will be exclusively on Peacock. All Notre Dame home football games will stream on Peacock with one game exclusively on Peacock. All conferences need a streaming component as part of their media rights.

It's now clear that the holdup with the Big East media contract was the resolution of the NBA TV rights.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I can stomach it if it means the TV deal is between $12M-$15M per year for UConn. We need the cash. Otherwise it’s a huge middle finger to the fans by Commissioner Val
Is there any indication that is what UConn could get? Would be a massive bump from the current AAV.

Reaction Score
If your point is that more popular things are more popular, well okay. Why does this new arrangement change that in llarany way?

What is the Big Ten "getting away with" here? Not "getting a ticket to oblivion"? I don't see how having our games on the same networks and streaming platforms as "well established leagues" means we're on the way to death.

It's of course the payout that is the real problem, but that's a separate issue that relates a lot more to football than streaming platforms.

The "new" arrangement should try and use all means to improve popularity. I don't think I am breaking ground here.

Yes, the Big 10 doesn't need to worry about tickets to oblivion. They are the gorilla that has a huge following, along with college fans in general, that will follow them anywhere. The Big East doesn't have that. To get followers of any type, you need exposure.

The Big East is basketball and the payout will be for basketball. You can't separate it because it's not football, that's flat out ridiculous. Our teams survive on this payout. If you are asking the league to hide games on low watched streaming platforms like these, the financial considerations better blow us out of the water. Since we don't know the terms as yet, I will refrain until we see them.

Reaction Score
The "new" arrangement should try and use all means to improve popularity. I don't think I am breaking ground here.

Yes, the Big 10 doesn't need to worry about tickets to oblivion. They are the gorilla that has a huge following, along with college fans in general, that will follow them anywhere. The Big East doesn't have that. To get followers of any type, you need exposure.

The Big East is basketball and the payout will be for basketball. You can't separate it because it's not football, that's flat out ridiculous. Our teams survive on this payout. If you are asking the league to hide games on low watched streaming platforms like these, the financial considerations better blow us out of the water. Since we don't know the terms as yet, I will refrain until we see them.
You do realize this deal is for BOTH men's and women's basketball? The vast majority of men's basketball games will be on linear TV and in the past TNT has put games on both linear TV and MAX. Peacock is new, but the Big 10 had 35 men's basketball games and will have 9 football games exclusively on Peacock. More and more, sports are going streaming so all conferences have to have some streaming component to prepare. Last year, 17 women's basketball games were on SNY and not easily available to the rest of the country. Maybe some games will be on Peacock or Max which has wider distribution.

I can just imagine the-boneyard back when ESPN started to broadcast Big East games. People would have complained the games weren't on CBS or a local TV channel like Channel 3.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Fanta is on twitter spaces saying that he can't give numbers but Big East schools are going to be happy with the $$$ from the deal.
Big East schools, with their $1 billion endowment funds, will be happy with just about anything from the media deal lmao. What I want to know is will UConn be happy (given the circumstances)

Reaction Score
Read what I said

To repeat, if you are a well established league, you can get away with it

In addition, they are getting paid probably 10 times what we will get for this
How many decades before the Big East is an established league?

Reaction Score
Fanta is on twitter spaces saying that he can't give numbers but Big East schools are going to be happy with the $$$ from the deal.
Wow.. that is really nice to hear… we need a good tv deal

Reaction Score
Big East schools, with their $1 billion endowment funds, will be happy with just about anything from the media deal lmao. What I want to know is will UConn be happy (given the circumstances)

UConn knows the value of the contract which is why they were comfortable offering Hurley a big raise.

Reaction Score
You do realize this deal is for BOTH men's and women's basketball? The vast majority of men's basketball games will be on linear TV and in the past TNT has put games on both linear TV and MAX. Peacock is new, but the Big 10 had 35 men's basketball games and will have 9 football games exclusively on Peacock. More and more, sports are going streaming so all conferences have to have some streaming component to prepare. Last year, 17 women's basketball games were on SNY and not easily available to the rest of the country. Maybe some games will be on Peacock or Max which has wider distribution.

I can just imagine the-boneyard back when ESPN started to broadcast Big East games. People would have complained the games weren't on CBS or a local TV channel like Channel 3.

You have no idea what is going to be on what.

For that matter, I don't either so as I said before, I will refrain until we see more details

ESPN was on everybody's cable system since 1979 and grew the Big East so not a good comparison

Reaction Score

"Big East men’s and women’s college basketball is on the verge of adding new television partners as NBC Sports and TNT Sports are expected to join Fox Sports in presenting games beginning this season, sources briefed on the negotiations told The Athletic.

While Fox Sports will remain the top partner, both NBC, which will feature most of its games on Peacock, and TNT Sports, which operates the streaming service Max, are anticipated to add a large number of games.

The financial terms of the expected new agreements are not yet known. The agreement is not yet formalized and the other incumbent, CBS Sports — which does a smaller package of games — is still holding discussions."

So basically youre telling me i will miss some Uconn mens games unless i get a sub to the shiddy Peacock streaming channel?

Reaction Score
this is great. would love for some games on TNT. surprised NBC is interested given it's getting the nba but peacock premium is included for free w/ comcast and it's already a must have for premier league games

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm optimistic about the team, often. But Fanta works for the conference. His job is to hype it up and potentially soften the blow.
I think the deal sounds promising. You have to really want it to start pissing on it already.

Reaction Score
I'm optimistic about the team, often. But Fanta works for the conference. His job is to hype it up and potentially soften the blow.
wouldnt softening the blow entail saying the deal is only gonna be marginally better than the current one? or something like that. TNT is desperate for content without the NBA so i'm hoping they helped drive the price up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Weiss said the contract is good too. We will know soon enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom