Big East Transfer Portal Thread v II | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread v II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think this is an issue that is changing the face of college basketball, I just don't think NIL intended to provide an additional mechanism for schools to turnover rosters, and wouldn't mind seeing it nipped in the bud. I'm a big fan of the new transfer rules specifically because they allow players to have more control over their future. I am not a fan of this situation because I think it creates additional uncertainty around kids' futures too late in the portal process, specifically when you look at multiple de-commitments directly related to programs doing this happening in the last few weeks. I'm okay if you don't think it's a big issue, I can even admit I might be overthinking it, but I still don't like it.

St. John's, in my opinion, is actually looking like a really solid example of using that extra roster flexibility to their advantage. They landed a former top 50 recruit, and a guy who averaged 19ppg last year, who can hopefully re-stabilize their program, as their 14th and 15th guy at the time. If they have a successful year, they won't need all the roster turnover, and all is well again next year.

Given all of the advantages that NIL provides to schools, I don't personally think it should also be dictating the amount of roster flexibility programs have moving forward, even if it doesn't dramatically shift the competitive landscape. If a mid-major isn't capable of offering a potential transfer because they're at the scholarship limit, I don't think it's right that a team from a major conference could theoretically circumvent that limit so easily.
Do you think NIL intended for college sports to be pay to play with kids transferring to the highest bidder?

Seems to be a strange thing you're focusing on.

Reaction Score
Do you think NIL intended for college sports to be pay to play with kids transferring to the highest bidder?

Seems to be a strange thing you're focusing on.
I just don’t see a very easy fix for that without placing a cap on the earning potential of the athletes which is the opposite of what I want. Players are always going to go with what they think is the most valuable offer long-term, whether that be NIL money or potential NBA opportunities, and they should. This seems like a far easier situation to amend from the NCAA’s perspective as far as I can tell.

I’m not really hyper focused on anything. The thread was directly talking about the situation and I responded with my opinion. I wasn’t expecting to receive any replies about it lol

Reaction Score
I just don’t see a very easy fix for that without placing a cap on the earning potential of the athletes which is the opposite of what I want. Players are always going to go with what they think is the most valuable offer long-term, whether that be NIL money or potential NBA opportunities, and they should. This seems like a far easier situation to amend from the NCAA’s perspective as far as I can tell.

I’m not really hyper focused on anything. The thread was directly talking about the situation and I responded with my opinion. I wasn’t expecting to receive any replies about it lol
I just don't see what needs to be amended. Players are always going to try and go to what they view as the best situation for their goals and coaches are always going to try and win as many games as possible. Everyone has freedom of movement now. Some kids will turn into vagabonds always looking for a better program/situation but there's still only 5 players on the court for each team at one time.

Reaction Score
Which Louisville players can’t stand him specifically? Quotes please? He has a history of being narcissistic? So was Calhoun, that’s not a crime. He was not a failure at the knicks but did openly say he was not cut out to be a GM-type role at Boston and admitted it. Doesn’t make him failed but he admitted he shouldn’t have taken the role he did and it didn’t work out. You questioned Alleyne’s advice, but I’m not sure why? He has competition at both places, but it’s a personal decision.
Lol calling Jim Calhoun a narcissist--and for the purpose of defending Slick Rick Pitino, no less--gets you on auto-ignore. Congrats, I guess.

Watch JC's speech at the ESPY's and then tell us how he lacks empathy for others.

What a maroon.

Reaction Score
I just don't see what needs to be amended. Players are always going to try and go to what they view as the best situation for their goals and coaches are always going to try and win as many games as possible. Everyone has freedom of movement now. Some kids will turn into vagabonds always looking for a better program/situation but there's still only 5 players on the court for each team at one time.
I think all schools competing at the same level should have access to the same number of effective roster spots and whatever the maximum number is shouldn't be negotiable. That's basically it. I don't see the value in having a grey area here.

If this situation wasn't possible, I wouldn't be surprised if St. John's found a way to manipulate their roster to land all the same guys; I just don't think walk-on spots should be used to do it. Same way I thought the way we landed Drummond was sketchy even when I was 17.

edit: For the sake of not getting this thread nuked, I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie here. I enjoyed the discussion.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Which Louisville players can’t stand him specifically? Quotes please? He has a history of being narcissistic? So was Calhoun, that’s not a crime. He was not a failure at the knicks but did openly say he was not cut out to be a GM-type role at Boston and admitted it. Doesn’t make him failed but he admitted he shouldn’t have taken the role he did and it didn’t work out. You questioned Alleyne’s advice, but I’m not sure why? He has competition at both places, but it’s a personal decision.
Mrs. Pitino - please read this: Lessons Learned (and Forgotten) from Celtics' Failed Rick Pitino Experiment

You said ALL his players love him = PURE BS As I said, there are plenty of ex Cardinals who didnt like the guy. At the OBE tournaments I befriended a couple who were heavy Lville donors and they told us many stories of dissatisfied players and parents.

Calhoun may blow his horn once in a while but Pitino operates under a "ME" mode 24/7

Who else would be stupid enough to agree to name himself as HC, GM and President of an NBA franchise all at the same time? I love Travis Knight but he is still laughing looking at his bank account when Slick Rick signed him to that guaranteed contract and declared he was going to be the prototype center for his run and gun offense in Boston.

You like the guy. thats fine. I think he is slimier than Calipari which is nearly impossible to do. To each their own. Adios

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Rumor has it PC beat out Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, UConn, Indiana & UCLA for the 14 ppg D2 transfer

Reaction Score
Funny enough he may have already decommited

Reaction Score
You mean the same things as Vermont, Siena, BU, etc., but not even mid-majors? O.K. then.
Seriously, some guys peak later. Can’t sign everyone. Same crap calhoun heard with any late bloomer Connecticut player

Reaction Score
Outside of the jokes, just cause they’re fun to crack. I can’t be the only person who’s PC hate has definitely gone down since Cooley left right ?

caw

Reaction Score

I mean Sanogo was only 6'7 with post skills.

Seriously though that type of player isn't the problem, now if he is slow, or skinny, or not athletic, or has T-rex arms, those would be a problem. Or listed two inches taller than his actual height (6'4).

Outside of the jokes, just cause they’re fun to crack. I can’t be the only person who’s PC hate has definitely gone down since Cooley left right ?

Yes, but only a bit, has always been 90% the fans for me. The 10% that came from Cooley being a snaky hypocrite is on pause for English. Seems like a good person overall though. So did Cooley at first.

Find out in December/January if he's trying to get players to transfer over to PC after the game.

Reaction Score
Idk, i thought it would, but then FriarJ comes around telling us about the killer prospect they beat out Sienna and VT for, and it goes back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom