Big East OOC Thread 23/24 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Big East OOC Thread 23/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The dislike for Ed Cooley on this board, while perhaps justified in certain areas, is not supportable when it comes to his coaching ability. At both Fairfield and PC, his teams were significantly better than prior tenures. In Fairfield’s case, you could make the argument that they’ll never be that good again. He’ll do a good job at Georgetown as well, but he’s starting from ground zero. Patrick Ewing was a disaster. Ed Cooley is an excellent coach. It’s not even debatable.

Reaction Score
The dislike for Ed Cooley on this board, while perhaps justified in certain areas, is not supportable when it comes to his coaching ability. At both Fairfield and PC, his teams were significantly better than prior tenures. In Fairfield’s case, you could make the argument that they’ll never be that good again. He’ll do a good job at Georgetown as well, but he’s starting from ground zero. Patrick Ewing was a disaster. Ed Cooley is an excellent coach. It’s not even debatable.
I hope Ed sees this and gives you a hug. You might be the only fan he has left

Reaction Score

You make fair points and I agree with most. But you can’t end with “excellent” he’s done little to prove he’s there. But he’s a very good coach for the most part long way to go for excellence though. The Hoyas will test his ability due to the horrible leave of Patrick.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I remember when Leitao left DePaul after his first stint there, during which they went to the postseason three straight years (two NITs, one NCAA). He seemed to have a decent thing going but thought the UVA pasture would be greener (it wasn't, at least for him). I thought it was a dumb move for Leitao (it was), and for DePaul, Jerry Wainwright immediately sank the ship, going 12-15 in his first year at the helm. They've been worse than irrelevant ever since.

Depaul has had some bad coaches (Wainwright and Kennedy), but Leitao and Purnell are solid coaches, and they couldn't make it work at Depaul. It is just a tough place to win.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sorry nope. Tons of talent he’s bought even prior to NIL and yet zero to show for it. His teams are out of control and consistently make mental errors game in game out.

They certainly aren't out of control. I think his teams play a little too tight if anything, but he is a good coach. The team plays hard, aggressive on both ends, and disciplined on offense. I like him.

I don't know why he stays at Memphis, although maybe they have a good NIL situation.

Reaction Score
Maybe DePaul and Vermont should just switch conferences. Vermont has been a solid program since 2003 when Tom Brennan was at the helm.
This is an interesting proposition. State U with just under 12k undergrad in a very small State just under 650k but not losing population. Not sure what the negatives would be although you want to factor in potential media exposure which would be considered small but could get a boost from more exposure. Pretty good soccer team this year as well.

Reaction Score
Maybe DePaul and Vermont should just switch conferences. Vermont has been a solid program since 2003 when Tom Brennan was at the helm.
As a UConn fan living 25 miles from Burlington I think it is a great idea. Good coach at UVM and a great program. There are plans to build a new facility which will seat only 3200. Can't figure that out. They have a pretty rabid fan base and UVM hoops are the talk of the area.

Reaction Score
Just when I think this place can't get any crazier than it already is, we have this thread. Yep, the Big East should invite Vermont. They should also invite UNH and Maine.
Why would we ever invite UNH and Maine in the big east, those programs suck.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan living 25 miles from Burlington I think it is a great idea. Good coach at UVM and a great program. There are plans to build a new facility which will seat only 3200. Can't figure that out. They have a pretty rabid fan base and UVM hoops are the talk of the area.
That would be 1000 more in attendance then any DePaul game, was only thinking of how much better Vermont’s program is then DePaul.

Reaction Score
They certainly aren't out of control. I think his teams play a little too tight if anything, but he is a good coach. The team plays hard, aggressive on both ends, and disciplined on offense. I like him.

I don't know why he stays at Memphis, although maybe they have a good NIL situation.

They are constantly throwing up whatever shot is available without running anything most of the time. They play hard but they don’t guard for full possessions and to me the furthest thing from disciplined. But that’s just me never impressed by his teams unless they happen to shoot it well. In the AAC they’re just more talented than most.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hope Ed sees this and gives you a hug. You might be the only fan he has left
You don't have to be a fan to admit he can coach. Look at Fairfield since he left.

Reaction Score
You don't have to be a fan to admit he can coach. Look at Fairfield since he left.
He's incredibly overrated and is nowhere near good enough to have earned the salary he's getting. He's a fine coach for Fairfield's level though

Reaction Score
Why would we ever invite UNH and Maine in the big east, those programs suck.
Because we need to add all the New England schools. Vermont, UNH, Maine, UMass, and UMass Lowell would be a good start. I desperately want Qunnipiac, Stonehill, and Merrimack in the conference as well.

Reaction Score

What if Ed Cooley’s “great” record in close games was just due to him being a mediocre coach and all those close wins actually should have been 10+ point MOVs?

Reaction Score
Just when I think this place can't get any crazier than it already is, we have this thread. Yep, the Big East should invite Vermont. They should also invite UNH and Maine.
My thought was tongue in cheek.

Reaction Score
Because we need to add all the New England schools. Vermont, UNH, Maine, UMass, and UMass Lowell would be a good start. I desperately want Qunnipiac, Stonehill, and Merrimack in the conference as well.
No way that happens. Holy Cross would definitely get in before Stonehill

Reaction Score

If you can’t admit Cooley is at the least a great floor-raiser, you are either stupid or biased.

Reaction Score
Cooley is fine. Not great, but good.
The problem is that now, with a top salary, there will be real expectations.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Butler/Boise game

Butler is not terrible this season, which is surprising since this team is rebuilt from low-major players.

Boise has a player that looks like one of the Hanson brothers from Slap Shot.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that's the ticket. Putting the Yankee Conference back together..........reminds me of a movie:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom