Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
OK, all of you de facto conference commissioners, what does UConn do now? :eek:
Hope that Brett Yormark keeps going and can convince his member schools to add schools to get to 18, just like the Big Ten.

Here's an article (sorry, behind a pay wall)

In a nutshell, Yormark is very high on UConn and believes that given time in a Power 5 conference its football and basketball programs will an asset in the Big 12's next media contract in 2030. Further it says that Yormark is dealing with people who lack appreciation and awareness of the Northeast region and who dismiss UConn for its past (meaning football) rather than being embraced for its potential.

So while I've preferred the Big Ten as the best fit for UConn - we'd immediately enhance the basketball and Olympic sports leagues in the conference - as well as academic peers, it's clear they have no interest in us. The ACC is locked up until GOR expire in 2036 and there's no fit with the SEC.

As long as Brett Yormark is the Big 12 commissioner I think our future will be best in the hands of someone who really believes in UConn, now and in the future.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
AD David Benedict and UConn gave it a good fight. We were in it until the end.
I wouldn’t say we were in it till the end. It was always a long shot and the football program didn’t help our case any. Sometimes the best outcome is doing nothing. It was easy for the PAC12 teams to leave. There were no exit fees.

Carnac

Reaction Score
RIP Rose Bowl?
No. I don't believe so. The Rose Bowl (the granddaddy of the all) will continue to operate and be a MAJOR bowl as always.

There is a Rose Bowl executive committee that makes that decision. I know it used to be the Big Ten Champion against the Pac-12 champion. Now with the demise of the PAC 12, no doubt the Rose Bowl committee will figure out new selection protocols unless the bowl champion series committee does it for them.

The Rose Bowl will continue to be a bowl schools want to play in. The two teams go to Disneyland or Universal Studio, eat a king's feast at Lawry's Prime Rib Steak House in Hollywood, and they get to enjoy the 72 degrees and sunny days that is our typical weather for that time of year here in Southern California. It doesn't snow in Southern California (in the basin). It does in the nearby mountains. There are lots of things to do here around the holidays.

Google:
How does a team get invited to a bowl game?

Teams become eligible for bowl games by winning six or more games and having a winning percentage of at least . 500. Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams typically play 12 regular season games (not including conference championships), so winning six games in the regular season usually makes a team bowl eligible.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Big 12 approves additions of Utah, Arizona State, bringing the league to 16 teams​

The Big 12 is rapidly getting bigger, as the school's presidents and chancellors voted unanimously to formally add Utah and Arizona State on Friday night. They were introduced along with Arizona, which was approved Thursday. The additions bumped the league's membership to 16 teams beginning in the 2024-25 academic year.

Colorado head coach Deion Sanders on the PAC 12 schools jumping ship: "Don't get mad.....everybody's chasing the bag." :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
RIP Rose Bowl?
RIP Rose Bowl?
There is some speculation that the BIG would split into two 10 team conferences,East and West. The winners of each conference would go to the championship playoffs while the runner up in the East and West would go to the Rose Bowl. That would keep the Rose Bowl alive and give it some resemblance to its former format. I read this somewhere but can’t find the article.

Reaction Score
Hope that Brett Yormark keeps going and can convince his member schools to add schools to get to 18, just like the Big Ten.

Here's an article (sorry, behind a pay wall)

In a nutshell, Yormark is very high on UConn and believes that given time in a Power 5 conference its football and basketball programs will an asset in the Big 12's next media contract in 2030. Further it says that Yormark is dealing with people who lack appreciation and awareness of the Northeast region and who dismiss UConn for its past (meaning football) rather than being embraced for its potential.

So while I've preferred the Big Ten as the best fit for UConn - we'd immediately enhance the basketball and Olympic sports leagues in the conference - as well as academic peers, it's clear they have no interest in us. The ACC is locked up until GOR expire in 2036 and there's no fit with the SEC.

As long as Brett Yormark is the Big 12 commissioner I think our future will be best in the hands of someone who really believes in UConn, now and in the future.
Love your optimism. Me? I’m still waiting for the Pats to move to Hartford. Governor Rowland said it was a done deal. Head bang

Reaction Score
There's still a breath of life in the body. :oops:
Made me think of the funny quote from the movie Dumb and Dumber. "So there's a chance?". More seriously I could see how basketball only additions like Gonzaga and Uconn could work for the Big12, but it seems unrealistic to me to then expect a full share from them. I wonder how much of a reduced share would still be an upgrade or go decision for Uconn since the money would be the main reason for leaving.

Reaction Score
From what I'm reading, it seems the PAC-12 (as we knew it) will be laid to rest soon. My question...or does it make sense, would forming a super basketball conference between the ACC and BigEast be a reasonable way to offset the blow from these football only super conferences aligments? It will not be football type money but have to believe a super bassketball conference between the ACC/BigEast would have leverage when it comes to broadcasting rights and the money that goes along with it.

Reaction Score
UCONN needs to start thinking outside of the box. The easy route is to align your team with broadcasting money and a football conference. Despite the money, it also comes with restrictions. Uconn is the Basketball Capital of The World. Market that globally and build an independent revenue model. If individual players can make millions from NIL, then a program should be able to generate substantially more. Hire a marketing firm and give it a shot.

Reaction Score
From what I'm reading, it seems the PAC-12 (as we knew it) will be laid to rest soon. My question...or does it make sense, would forming a super basketball conference between the ACC and BigEast be a reasonable way to offset the blow from these football only super conferences aligments? It will not be football type money but have to believe a super bassketball conference between the ACC/BigEast would have leverage when it comes to broadcasting rights and the money that goes along with it.
Maybe teams like Duke that have good basketball and sucky football would be for it, not sure about the rest of the ACC. Question for you. What would happen to Duke football? How valuable would Duke’s football be on its own? They are not Notre Dame or Stanford. More like UConn and you see what a mess we’re in.

Reaction Score
Made me think of the funny quote from the movie Dumb and Dumber. "So there's a chance?". More seriously I could see how basketball only additions like Gonzaga and Uconn could work for the Big12, but it seems unrealistic to me to then expect a full share from them. I wonder how much of a reduced share would still be an upgrade or go decision for Uconn since the money would be the main reason for leaving.
Guys. Here’s one writer’s take on where college conference sports is going and the smart conference in this scenario. It’s a bit of a read, but I agree with it. MSN

Reaction Score
Maybe teams like Duke that have good basketball and sucky football would be for it, not sure about the rest of the ACC. Question for you. What would happen to Duke football? How valuable would Duke’s football be on its own? They are not Notre Dame or Stanford. More like UConn and you see what a mess we’re in.
The football program at Duke has improved by leaps and bounds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Duke football does not suck. It was ranked a couple years ago, as a matter of fact and finished #26 in the final season power rankings in 2022

AP top 25 rankings notes: Georgia leads the way with 1,575 points, followed by TCU at 1,484. Michigan earned 1,438 votes and Ohio State 1,394.

Others receiving votes​

Duke 49, UTSA 45, Air Force 40, Boise State 38, Minnesota 35, Texas Tech 19, North Carolina 8, North Carolina State 6, Iowa 4, Louisville 3, Purdue 3, Maryland 2, Marshall 2, Cincinnati 1, Illinois 1

Reaction Score
The ACC is not going to join the Big East and become a basketball only driven conference. They are looking to do the opposite and join the super conference party that is currently going on. The only reason the haven't already done it is thar they are locked into large exit fees in their contract.

If FSU's lawyers can figure out a loophole to get out of the ACC they'll bolt to the SEC or Big 10 and others will follow. It will be a mass exodus a la the PAC 12.

UConn's only hope at this point is if ACC teams can't figure a way out of their current contract and they decide to expand and invite UConn.

Reaction Score
Guys. Here’s one writer’s take on where college conference sports is going and the smart conference in this scenario. It’s a bit of a read, but I agree with it. MSN
Good read, except the one school in the "smart conference" with much more than a "minimal" interest in football, has a huge athletic department deficit. I wonder who that is???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom