Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s a long shot but of the remaining PAC schools and the Mountain West schools the only school with educational quality would be Cal if U of A goes to B12.

B12 would have U of A, Kansas, Cincinnati and UConn. Not an overwhelming endorsement but better than your scenario education wise.
You forgot about Stanford

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Stanford’s a valuable franchise. I’m really surprised the B1G didn’t target them given all that league’s crap about academics.
Their getting four great schools that were interested when approached. For all we know they may have approached Stanford and Stanford declined. If so Stanford made a mistake.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You forgot about Stanford
It was about whether Stanford remains with the merger of the remaining PAC members and Mountain West or joins the B12.

Reaction Score
Outside looking in yet again. At this point, even a sinking ACC would be better. At least start moving on up in the football world, get some additional revenue, work on the stadium, and end the independent league we are currently in.
Agree. We need to produce a more competitive football program as this is the reason no power conference wants us. Folks who think if we get an invite to a P5 conference we go. Well, with all the hopeful posts on our likelihood/possibility of getting an invite, it never happened. The ACC is now in the crosshairs for poaching as Clemson and FSU went out of the ACC sting they should get more than the other league members due to their football programs. There are more chips to fall. The environment now is to volatile to make a wise decision.

Reaction Score
Their getting four great schools that were interested when approached. For all we know they may have approached Stanford and Stanford declined. If so Stanford made a mistake.
Agree on that point

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Pac 12 Presidents meeting this AM to discuss all nine members signing Grant of Rights. Overnight other sources say that Oregon and Washington are leaning NOT to go to Big Ten. But hey, it's not even noon on the east coast, so more news to come. Fingers crossed.:)
Those sources were like Humphrey Bogart's character (Rick) in Casablanca when he was asked by Captain Renault why he came to Casablanca......he said "For my health. I came for the waters." Renault responded...the waters, what waters? Casablanca is in the desert. Rick responded... " I was misinformed." :eek:

Broooce, we've been duped. I have not heard or read anything mentioning UConn being invited to the BIG 12 in the last 48-72 hours.
This sounds like a game of musical chairs and the music just stopped, and UConn is still standing. :confused:

Oregon, Washington finalizing move to Big Ten, sources say

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like the idea of what's left of the PAC 12 merging with the Mountain West conference. Needless to say that PAC 12 commissioner George Kliavkoff is gone. He let the conference dissolve on his watch. That scenario would be a win-win for both conferences.

Pac-12 being pushed to brink as Big Ten joins Big 12 in honing in on West Coast schools​

All of this conference realignment talk is giving me a headache. Based on what we know so far, and what we're hearing, I think UConn will be left on the outside looking in........once again. :( I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not good for Geno as he needs 7 more wins to pass Tara VDV, if the PAC goes to california teams available, which is the easiest solution, then STANFORD won't loose a lot
Other than the ACC, I don't see what the benefits would be for UCONN, except dollars

Reaction Score
Not good for Geno as he needs 7 more wins to pass Tara VDV, if the PAC goes to california teams available, which is the easiest solution, then STANFORD won't loose a lot
Other than the ACC, I don't see what the benefits would be for UCONN, except dollars
$ is the point of all this. Not schools, not fans, not players.

Reaction Score
And I think we've gone past the point of adding teams to conferences based on the academic cache of the schools. It has devolved into a feeding frenzy to gobble up as much money as possible in the rapidly changing media world.

Reaction Score
It’s a long shot but of the remaining PAC schools and the Mountain West schools the only school with educational quality would be Cal if U of A goes to B12.

B12 would have U of A, Kansas, Cincinnati and UConn. Not an overwhelming endorsement but better than your scenario education wise.
Fair enough although I have to say my daughter graduated from WSU, got her PhD from Kentucky and is now doing cancer research work at Vermont. As schools go WSU IMO is a quality institution where Cougars for life are born.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Fair enough although I have to say my daughter graduated from WSU, got her PhD from Kentucky and is now doing cancer research work at Vermont. As schools go WSU IMO is a quality institution where Cougars for life are born.
Individual who I felt had the best pulse on things just informed us it will be U of A, ASU and Utah joining Colorado and UConn is out.

Reaction Score
Individual who I felt had the best pulse on things just informed us it will be U of A, ASU and Utah joining Colorado and UConn is out.
AD David Benedict and UConn gave it a good fight. We were in it until the end.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don’t know how an ACC school can realistically leave early without having control of their own media rights.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

ESPN owns both the ACC and the $EC. Why would they agree to weaken the ACC to strengthen the $EC when 1) they pay for both conferences and 2) The $EC already makes them a ton of money. Plus, why would schools like Georgia, Florida, Auburn, TN, and Bama want to add 2 schools that would be a threat to beat them on a yearly basi? The $EC doesn't need them. Plus, any money that F$U an Clemson would receive from media rights would go back to the ACC until 2036.

At this point I hope F$U leaves.... tired of those whining *******

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wow...what a surprise. Those tea leaves weren't hard to read. :(

Carnac

Reaction Score
OK, all of you de facto conference commissioners, what does UConn do now? :eek:

Reaction Score
OK, all of you de facto conference commissioners, what does UConn do now? :eek:
Nothing. We are right where we should be. A relatively small Northeastern public school with a decent athletics department and two dominant franchises. Let’s stay in our lane, please.…our football team is a candy store. Nobody is gonna give us 30 million plus per year and it’s ridiculous to think there are individuals in the administration who believe otherwise.

I say it’s the better course to try and kick our academic exclusivity up a notch, maybe on par with a UVA or UCLA.

Also….Stanford’s endowment is by certain measures north of 40 billion. I think they’ll be okay, LOL. Every time one of their alums takes a company public they probably make what the SEC gets from its media deal over 2-3 years.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yikes!

The Mountain West would accept them with open arms......and whoever else died on the vine in the PAC 12. That move would be best for the 4 schools left. It would strengthen that conference and raise their level of visibility and respectability. The addition of those current PAC schools would certainly raise the level of attractiveness to potential media partners.

The only other thing the PAC can do at this point is try and recruit other western region schools to join the "new" PAC 12, including those from the Mountain West. Good luck with that. Possible targets could be ......Pacific (no football team), San Diego St, USF (San Francisco), Portland, BYU, Sacramento St, Gonzaga, UNLV, Wyoming, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Fresno St. San Jose St, UC Davis, Weber St, etc. All mid-major schools with only "regional" fan appeal. The PAC is going to have to do something. They can't go forward with only 4 schools.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Just curious...isn't it time to shut this thread off? I mean isn't it kinda obvious that the alleged "significant push" is not being made any time soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom