Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Duke football does not suck. It was ranked a couple years ago, as a matter of fact and finished #26 in the final season power rankings

AP top 25 rankings notes: Georgia leads the way with 1,575 points, followed by TCU at 1,484. Michigan earned 1,438 votes and Ohio State 1,394.

Others receiving votes​

Duke 49, UTSA 45, Air Force 40, Boise State 38, Minnesota 35, Texas Tech 19, North Carolina 8, North Carolina State 6, Iowa 4, Louisville 3, Purdue 3, Maryland 2, Marshall 2, Cincinnati 1, Illinois 1

So a 26th rank one year once upon time makes them a good team?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why is it that UConn is always left as a bridesmaid and never a bride?
Because they don’t take football as seriously as other schools. If they really want to rise to the top 10 nationally, they must make a long-term commitment financially to do so. It can be done.

Remember when South Carolina’s football program rose out of the ashes like the Phoenix? They hired Steve Spurrier (the old ball coach) to run it. He won 6 SEC championships and won the national championship in 1996.

Before he got there, SC football was a second-tier program that was seldom recognized nationally. That changed once Spurrier arrived. They became a ranked program that was featured (TV) nationally every week.

If you want the results, you must be willing to make the investment. It starts with hiring the right coach. SC administrators, alums, and fans don’t think more of their school than UConn administrators, alums and fans do.........do they?

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maybe teams like Duke that have good basketball and sucky football would be for it, not sure about the rest of the ACC. Question for you. What would happen to Duke football? How valuable would Duke’s football be on its own? They are not Notre Dame or Stanford. More like UConn and you see what a mess we’re in.

giphy.gif

6 bowl games, 6 winning records in the past 10 years.

Reaction Score
The ACC is not going to join the Big East and become a basketball only driven conference. They are looking to do the opposite and join the super conference party that is currently going on. The only reason the haven't already done it is thar they are locked into large exit fees in their contract.

If FSU's lawyers can figure out a loophole to get out of the ACC they'll bolt to the SEC or Big 10 and others will follow. It will be a mass exodus a la the PAC 12.

UConn's only hope at this point is if ACC teams can't figure a way out of their current contract and they decide to expand and invite UConn.
I don’t see the ACC as anyone’s only hope. Ultimately, Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame and a few others will decide to pay the exit fee and head for greener pastures leaving the remaining schools in the lurch. Accepting an invite at that point would be equivalent to leaving a lifeboat to board the Titanic while it is sinking.
Better off to remain in the Big East and be independent in football rather than joining a conference that will soon be picked clean. The ACC squandered a number of previous opportunities to provide us with an invite.

Reaction Score
Because they don’t take football as seriously as other schools. If they really want to rise to the top 10 nationally, they must make a long-term commitment financially to do so. It can be done.

Remember when South Carolina’s football program rose out of the ashes like the Phoenix? They hired Steve Spurrier (the old ball coach) to run it. He won 6 SEC championships and won the national championship in 1996.

Before he got there, SC football was a second-tier program that was seldom recognized nationally. That changed once Spurrier arrived. They became a ranked program that was featured (TV) nationally every week.

If you want the results, you must be willing to make the investment. It starts with hiring the right coach. SC administrators, alums, and fans don’t think more of their school than UConn administrators, alums and fans do.........do they?
So...bottom line: if you want to get 30 million a year from being in power conference, you should have spent a lot of money in buildiing your program, your name, and a history of success to be proud of.

I am not from CT. I graduated from UConn in 1964. I came back to CT in the late 70's to early 80's stationed in Groton, As a UConn graduate, I followed UConn sports. The State of Connecticut did not fund sports and the University in general and kept cutting that budget throught out the years. Even when they addressed the issue of a stadium, it was still half the effort and should have built a modern 70,000 seat stadium. CT is a poor State and losing its tax base. Maybe it will get its priorities straight with respect to the University.

Frankly, all of these missed opportunities is disappointing.

sun

Reaction Score
So...bottom line: if you want to get 30 million a year from being in power conference, you should have spent a lot of money in buildiing your program, your name, and a history of success to be proud of.

I am not from CT. I graduated from UConn in 1964. I came back to CT in the late 70's to early 80's stationed in Groton, As a UConn graduate, I followed UConn sports. The State of Connecticut did not fund sports and the University in general and kept cutting that budget throught out the years. Even when they addressed the issue of a stadium, it was still half the effort and should have built a modern 70,000 seat stadium. CT is a poor State and losing its tax base. Maybe it will get its priorities straight with respect to the University.

The state has invested billions at the health center campus in Farmington & rebuilding the Storrs campus.
The state has been more than generous funding UConn, many would say too generous.
They've invested in a new Hartford campus too after gutting the West Hartford campus.
And there's probably more state investment in other campuses that I don't know about.
The UConn football team didn't deserve the 70K NFL stadium that was only proposed to lure the Patriots to Hartford.
Residents have left CT in droves & still are due to high state & local taxes.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

There is a proven model for building a successful college football program. Administrators can choose to follow it or not. You’re familiar with the definition of insanity. You reap what you sow. Others' perception of you does not have to become your reality. UConn’s football program is not respected or coveted by any P5 conference. That can change starting now.

The powers that be at UConn know and have known for decades what’s holding them back from an invitation to a P5 conference. Would Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio St, or USC be the powerhouses they are today if they had followed the path UConn chose?

I’ve been a USC Trojan fan since 1964. I’m good. While I’m a UConn WBB fan, I have no preference or concern about what conference the Huskies are in. They have proven they can win championships regardless of conference affiliation.

I want another championship for Geno and his team this year. I believe that this team is the best he’s had since Breanna Stewart graduated in 2016. That was 7 years ago. It’s time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would still like seeing UConn being part of the ACC as mentioned before. There still are East Coast teams that can be added if anyone departs. The PAC and MWC will combine with whatever is left. The BIG 12 is now a super conference just like the BIG10. The SEC is not going to hold back and watch these other two leapfrog them. This is an opportunity for the ACC to expand into the fourth super conference.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I would still like seeing UConn being part of the ACC as mentioned before. There still are East Coast teams that can be added if anyone departs. The PAC and MWC will combine with whatever is left. The BIG 12 is now a super conference just like the BIG10. The SEC is not going to hold back and watch these other two leapfrog them. This is an opportunity for the ACC to expand into the fourth super conference.
Me too!! ;)

Reaction Score
Maybe teams like Duke that have good basketball and sucky football would be for it, not sure about the rest of the ACC. Question for you. What would happen to Duke football? How valuable would Duke’s football be on its own? They are not Notre Dame or Stanford. More like UConn and you see what a mess we’re in.

Notre Dame's football team is independent. Heck their hockey team plays in the Big Ten. They pick and choose conferences as they see fit it seems. They're not a great example to use for your argument here.

And how valuable is Stanford's football program anyways? They haven't been a dominant program for some time if memory serves correct.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm glad that there's a delay over inviting UConn into the Big 12.
That gives UConn an opportunity to explore all of its options without appearing to be a school begging for a new home without having any choices in the matter.
A lot of strategizing is going on over future expansions & what's best for each school, conference &TV network.
It's a big puzzle & all of the pieces need to fit to achieve the best outcome in the long run.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why? The ACC is going to get eaten up and spit out. Florida State, Clemson, UNC, and Virginia are eventually going to get poached by the B1G/SEC and the ACC will disband.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why? The ACC is going to get eaten up and spit out. Florida State, Clemson, UNC, and Virginia are eventually going to get poached by the B1G/SEC and the ACC will disband.
To many schools. Yes some leave for the SEC and Big10. But there are plenty left. Add a few others and you still have a strong conference. As mentioned earlier in this thread. Grab Temple, USF, Charlotte, Liberty, Buffalo, Memphis. Plenty of populous schools up and down the coast.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I disagree. I don’t think the ACC will let happen to them what’s happening to the PAC 12. The ACC is not the conference of choice right now, but your options are two. Stay where you are, or hope to be invited to join the ACC where eventually your conference paydays will be larger than they are now. It’s being reported that the UConn athletic department is currently $40 million + in the red. UConn is looking to increase its share of conference payouts.

As coach Deion Sanders said yesterday...........”everybody (schools and athletes) is chasing that bag.” Why should UConn not join in the chase? If as you suggest the ACC goes under, then UConn will make other arrangements and find a new home. The ACC is not being mismanaged as the PAC 12 is. I trust the leadership of the ACC and UConn to make decisions that are in the best interest of their employers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It seems that’s a long way away. GOR said to be ironclad and hugely expensive to leave. That means 2036 unless you have a multibillionaire in your pocket.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's football team is independent. Heck their hockey team plays in the Big Ten. They pick and choose conferences as they see fit it seems. They're not a great example to use for your argument here.

And how valuable is Stanford's football program anyways? They haven't been a dominant program for some time if memory serves correct.
Just to be clear, Notre Dame is in the ACC for all sports that the ACC sponsors except Football where they have a limited commitment. Many conferences don't offer ice hockey (and other sports that are not played in most of their members) so you play in whatever conference is available. You may not remember that Loyola Maryland played in the (old) Big East for a sport or 2 (maybe women's lacrosse? or field hockey?).

The only thing that makes ND football viable as an independent is the TV contract. No, Stanford, Duke and most other teams are not getting that contract.

Stanford's football program is not particularly good right now. That said, Stanford as a whole brings a lot to the table, to me more than Cal. The academics and alumni, if nothing else.

I have never seen that UConn was not a viable Power 5 candidate, but as always it is the "fit" that is difficult. With almost coast to coast conferences, I think at some point membership will be forthcoming. That said, like Rutgers and many other schools, I'm not sure that membership in a power 5 conference solves "all" the financial problems of a UConn.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, Notre Dame is in the ACC for all sports that the ACC sponsors except Football where they have a limited commitment. Many conferences don't offer ice hockey (and other sports that are not played in most of their members) so you play in whatever conference is available. You may not remember that Loyola Maryland played in the (old) Big East for a sport or 2 (maybe women's lacrosse? or field hockey?).

The only thing that makes ND football viable as an independent is the TV contract. No, Stanford, Duke and most other teams are not getting that contract.

Stanford's football program is not particularly good right now. That said, Stanford as a whole brings a lot to the table, to me more than Cal. The academics and alumni, if nothing else.

I have never seen that UConn was not a viable Power 5 candidate, but as always it is the "fit" that is difficult. With almost coast to coast conferences, I think at some point membership will be forthcoming. That said, like Rutgers and many other schools, I'm not sure that membership in a power 5 conference solves "all" the financial problems of a UConn.

The Loyala Maryland situation is not something I'm aware of. Maybe due to fact I'm from Canada or it happened at a point when I wasn't following college sports like I do now.

Agree Stanford offers a lot more, but to use their football program as an example by the poster I responded to wasn't a good one.

Reaction Score
The state has invested billions at the health center campus in Farmington & rebuilding the Storrs campus.
The state has been more than generous funding UConn, many would say too generous.
They've invested in a new Hartford campus too after gutting the West Hartford campus.
And there's probably more state investment in other campuses that I don't know about.
The UConn football team didn't deserve the 70K NFL stadium that was only proposed to lure the Patriots to Hartford.
Residents have left CT in droves & still are due to high state & local taxes.
Many residents (aka taxpayers) might question "invested" versus "spent".

Reaction Score
I don’t see the ACC as anyone’s only hope. Ultimately, Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame and a few others will decide to pay the exit fee and head for greener pastures leaving the remaining schools in the lurch. Accepting an invite at that point would be equivalent to leaving a lifeboat to board the Titanic while it is sinking.
Better off to remain in the Big East and be independent in football rather than joining a conference that will soon be picked clean. The ACC squandered a number of previous opportunities to provide us with an invite.
While I dont agree with other posters on here preferring the ACC over the B12 specifically because of region, I understand your frustration (is mine too) with being such a huge disppoiintment.

But let's be honest here. High School basketball players don't give a damn about football. Schools like NC, Duke, NC State will be among the top baketball programs for teh foresseable future-- at least much better than any Big East Team.

If you can't join into your preferred conference, then you just don't give up and ignore the opportunity to get more money which is your lifeblood and play in a better conference than the one you're in if you get that chance. Instead, you take the best you are offered. Even if no longer a P5, you still try ot go to a better conference if you can.

The ship will sink quicker with less mone to repair. Even if it is minimal. "More" is still "better."

Carnac

Reaction Score

Late night updates from around the horn: PAC4 meeting with MWC leadership on Monday to look at merger options. Not saying it’s happening but it does seem the most likely. I’m hearing Stanford is not on board with a merger but is going to participate out of respect for the other 3.......that and they do have a vested interest in the outcome.

As I see it, Stanford has 3 options....
1. Go along with whatever the other 3 decide to do.
2. Breakaway and make their own deal with the BIG 12 or B1G or.......
3. Go independent.

1691356174999.png

The PAC 4 has to do something fast. Time IS NOT on their side. The game is poker, and they're out of chips. :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle