Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good question! Unfortunately Huskies may be stuck with nowhere to go. Crazy college athletics world right now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK AgStatesman, what do you suggest? I'm not suggesting you're out of bounds with your concern. However, I'm interested in what you would have them do. Keep in mind you're looking at this from a FAN'S perspective. They are looking at this from a BUSINESS perspective.
Those two roads will never meet.

Remember.....if makes dollars, it makes sense. I can see a 30-member conference with two divisions, east and west that the networks would drool over, making lots of $$$ for the conference. I submit that there will always be somewhere for the "other" teams to go, even if it means forming a new conference or two.

Example: It's been reported here that The PAC 4 has begun serious discussions with the Mountain West Conference in an attempt to find a workable solution (possible merger) to their dilemma. IMO, if the MWC were to add the 4 remaining PAC 4 schools, it would not only boost their visibility, viability as well as their respectability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you. At some point simply adding teams that have no history with one another (like rivalries) will not be valued by media partners - diminishing returns. For example, who thinks a Rutgers-Washington football game is compelling except those teams' fans and alumni? Rivalry games have national interest, think Army-Navy, Civil War (OR-OSU), Red River Showdown, etc., as do prominent national matchups in football and basketball.

I read an article (can't remember where) that discussed that what the Big Ten is doing might actually lure Notre Dame which is the gold ring of universities to add. That's because ND has valued its independence so that it could schedule the likes of USC, Stanford, several traditional midwest rivals like Purdue, Michigan and Michigan St., and also Navy. But if Stanford gets an invitation to the Big Ten then essentially everything ND wants for football is right there. As noted by another BYer, ND hockey already plays in the Big Ten, and moving their other Olympic sports from the ACC would be a no-brainer.

Here are some "headlines" from my research today about how UConn compares to other schools if we were invited to the Big 12:
1. From Day 1 we'd have the most successful men's and women's basketball programs (thus Brett Yomark's interest) - men have one more than Kansas;
2. UConn would be tied for 3rd most varsity teams with Utah and BYU, and only behind Arizona State and TCU. TCU's 20 teams include equestrian, rifle and triathlon, while ASU's 24 teams includes triathlon;
3. Only four Big 12 universities have more than UConn's 23 national championships (ASU, Utah, Colorado and Oklahoma St.);
4. UConn has the most national championships since 2000: 17 (Baylor is next with 14);
5. UConn has the most national championships since 1990: 19 (Colorado is next with 17);
6. While we have regional sports teams like ice hockey, field hockey and women's lacrosse, they've accounted for just five NC's (all FH). For Colorado (19 ski titles/total 28 titles) and Utah 14 ski titles/total 25 titles they are dominant in a sport that is also very regional.

The facts seem to show that UConn is one of the hottest and relevant athletics programs of the past 23 and 33 years, football notwithstanding, and in particular we're doing that in the 2nd largest revenue sport. We'd make any conference BETTER!

Reaction Score
It's all about the Benjamin's, or as Deion Sanders said, "everybody is chasing the bag," so this is all essentially an exercise in hypocrisy for things like "academic fit," etcetera. I don't remember which coach said it, but it was something like 'take the top 60 or 70 schools, break them up in divisions like the pros, play 11 or 12 games, and get to the playoffs.' The CFP contract is only for two years, or moot with all these shenanigans going on. This conference dance is just wasting time.

Reaction Score
I've followed this story for a week and keep shaking my head at the world of college athletics now.

Yes I am a SEC graduate and live smack in the middle of the area plus truly loved college football more than any sport until recently. I get the SEC is a media and corporate giant as is the B10 but at this point what is happening to D1 athletics is awful.

Two major sports networks have basically attempted to consolidate the biggest teams/markets into fewer networks and the money keeps getting larger, but it has to stop at some point. I already miss the SEC of pre 2010 with just 12 teams and frankly 16 is more than enough. No Clemson or FSU if you ask me and if one or both winds up moving to another conference, so be it.

I think UConn got shafted again. The school really should be in the ACC. Actually, for the good of sports, schools like Rutgers, WVU, UConn, BC, Syracuse, should reform the old BE and forget trying to get sports all across the country just for the sake of football broadcasting deals.

The B12 won last week but it now has a cross country conference with an almost silly mix of schools. Yes it has a media deal but for all the bravado of adding the four corner schools last week, I really don't think audiences will get amped up for ASU and UCF or Utah and Houston. What made college football so much fun is tradition, rivalries, and proximity to each other. Those have largely fallen by the wayside.

Lastly if I read one more article about this conference or that conference fussing about the academic quality of schools I will vomit. Consider this: West Virginia and UCF are in the B12 while Stanford and Cal didn't get invites.

Reaction Score
I was just going to say something about this. My wifes brother, sister-in-law, 2 nephews and her sister-in-laws parents all work at Disney. Disney is hurting. Hurting bad. Lots of lay-offs. Parks are empty compared to what they're at traditionally. I think the biggest hit is their movie studios, which is just piling on the losses. I'm not sure they want to put another Nickle into ESPN, they have bigger fish to fry for sure.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
10000% agree with Pitino

Wasn't the idea at some point in the last few years (before the NCAA recently expanded the CFB Playoffs) that some teams/conferences were going to break away from the NCAA and form their own organization, based primarily on football? If so, I guess that idea didn't get much traction.
And if it happened, I am guessing that Pitino's suggestion could become reality.

Reaction Score
If football breaks away and forms its own entity per se then what funds the sports that don't make money? You can't just say cut those sports with Title IX involved.

I agree with Pitino that food in airport restaurants tends to be subpar but these days you're lucky to get a bag of chips on a flight so you're often stuck with no choice.

Reaction Score
I've followed this story for a week and keep shaking my head at the world of college athletics now.

Yes I am a SEC graduate and live smack in the middle of the area plus truly loved college football more than any sport until recently. I get the SEC is a media and corporate giant as is the B10 but at this point what is happening to D1 athletics is awful.

Two major sports networks have basically attempted to consolidate the biggest teams/markets into fewer networks and the money keeps getting larger, but it has to stop at some point. I already miss the SEC of pre 2010 with just 12 teams and frankly 16 is more than enough. No Clemson or FSU if you ask me and if one or both winds up moving to another conference, so be it.

I think UConn got shafted again. The school really should be in the ACC. Actually, for the good of sports, schools like Rutgers, WVU, UConn, BC, Syracuse, should reform the old BE and forget trying to get sports all across the country just for the sake of football broadcasting deals.

The B12 won last week but it now has a cross country conference with an almost silly mix of schools. Yes it has a media deal but for all the bravado of adding the four corner schools last week, I really don't think audiences will get amped up for ASU and UCF or Utah and Houston. What made college football so much fun is tradition, rivalries, and proximity to each other. Those have largely fallen by the wayside.

Lastly if I read one more article about this conference or that conference fussing about the academic quality of schools I will vomit. Consider this: West Virginia and UCF are in the B12 while Stanford and Cal didn't get invites.
I like the idea of a revival of the "old" BIG EAST. Any thoughts about a combination
of the BIG EAST and the ACC??

Reaction Score
Question; as it stands today is the BigEast now one of the P5 conferences? :rolleyes:
You could in theory be the 5th best conference but wouldn't have the P in front. The P5 were the P5 because they were all very good and a clear notch above 6th and 7th. Right now it might be a P3, maybe P4 if you include a shaky ACC. The fifth best conference is no longer a "power" conference, be it a reformulated Pac + Mountain combo, the Big East or another conference. There will be a big gap between the best and the next tier behind the now fewer super conferences.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If football breaks away and forms its own entity per se then what funds the sports that don't make money? You can't just say cut those sports with Title IX involved.

I agree with Pitino that food in airport restaurants tends to be subpar but these days you're lucky to get a bag of chips on a flight so you're often stuck with no choice.
The same as the way they are funded now. The conference or University negotiates their media rights, and any other income sources, and the university then decides where the money goes, right?

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with you. At some point simply adding teams that have no history with one another (like rivalries) will not be valued by media partners - diminishing returns. For example, who thinks a Rutgers-Washington football game is compelling except those teams' fans and alumni? Rivalry games have national interest, think Army-Navy, Civil War (OR-OSU), Red River Showdown, etc., as do prominent national matchups in football and basketball.

I read an article (can't remember where) that discussed that what the Big Ten is doing might actually lure Notre Dame which is the gold ring of universities to add. That's because ND has valued its independence so that it could schedule the likes of USC, Stanford, several traditional midwest rivals like Purdue, Michigan and Michigan St., and also Navy. But if Stanford gets an invitation to the Big Ten then essentially everything ND wants for football is right there. As noted by another BYer, ND hockey already plays in the Big Ten, and moving their other Olympic sports from the ACC would be a no-brainer.

Here are some "headlines" from my research today about how UConn compares to other schools if we were invited to the Big 12:
1. From Day 1 we'd have the most successful men's and women's basketball programs (thus Brett Yomark's interest) - men have one more than Kansas;
2. UConn would be tied for 3rd most varsity teams with Utah and BYU, and only behind Arizona State and TCU. TCU's 20 teams include equestrian, rifle and triathlon, while ASU's 24 teams includes triathlon;
3. Only four Big 12 universities have more than UConn's 23 national championships (ASU, Utah, Colorado and Oklahoma St.);
4. UConn has the most national championships since 2000: 17 (Baylor is next with 14);
5. UConn has the most national championships since 1990: 19 (Colorado is next with 17);
6. While we have regional sports teams like ice hockey, field hockey and women's lacrosse, they've accounted for just five NC's (all FH). For Colorado (19 ski titles/total 28 titles) and Utah 14 ski titles/total 25 titles they are dominant in a sport that is also very regional.

The facts seem to show that UConn is one of the hottest and relevant athletics programs of the past 23 and 33 years, football notwithstanding, and in particular we're doing that in the 2nd largest revenue sport. We'd make any conference BETTER!
Great post! So sad that in college athletics today, none of this is considered in decision making!

Reaction Score
The same as the way they are funded now. The conference or University negotiates their media rights, and any other income sources, and the university then decides where the money goes, right?
This article is a few years old but the concept hasn't changed. Most college sports other than football and basketball operate at a deficit and the shortfall is made up from the money making sports (i.e., football).

sun

Reaction Score
I like the idea of a revival of the "old" BIG EAST. Any thoughts about a combination
of the BIG EAST and the ACC??
Disagreements between the football schools & basketball schools are what led to the break up of the old Big East.
That makes it very unlikely that the 2 will ever get back together again especially after the 7 sisters paid all of the exit fees & then bought the rights to the Big East.
They must have learned a painful lesson about how to avoid getting mixed up with football.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I think UConn got shafted again.
The school really should be in the ACC. Actually, for the good of sports, schools like Rutgers, WVU, UConn, BC, Syracuse, should reform the old BE and forget trying to get sports all across the country just for the sake of football broadcasting deals.

You make some great points. You're looking at this thing through the same prism I am. Things are changing by the minute. The dust should settle by the end of the month. Keeping my fingers crossed for UConn. Regardless of where they end up, I hope it's financially beneficial for them.

I see the PAC 4 merging with the Mountain West. Those schools need the MW more than the MW needs them. Those 4 are out in the middle of the ocean with nothing more than a life jacket. All 4 are holding on to one life preserver. At his point, they don't have a lot of options. Get ready to call "Ralph" and Earl". :confused:You're not done hearing schools whine and complain about how dissatisfied they are receiving millions of dollars when they think they should be getting a lot more. :eek: These are unprecedented times.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Late night updates from around the horn: PAC4 meeting with MWC leadership on Monday to look at merger options. Not saying it’s happening but it does seem the most likely. I’m hearing Stanford is not on board with a merger but is going to participate out of respect for the other 3.......that and they do have a vested interest in the outcome.

As I see it, Stanford has 3 options....
1. Go along with whatever the other 3 decide to do.
2. Breakaway and make their own deal with the BIG 12 or B1G or.......
3. Go independent.

View attachment 90435
The PAC 4 has to do something fast. Time IS NOT on their side. The game is poker, and they're out of chips. :confused:
Last week when I first posted this depiction of the Titanic going down in the early morning hours of 15 April 1912 in the icy waters of the North Atlantic Ocean, four days into her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City, and liking it to the PAC 12's "current state,"

1691433066345.png

Some scoffed and thought I was being over dramatic and a bit hasty in forming my opinion. Fast forward to today. How about now? :eek:
That was low-hanging fruit....an easy read.

Reaction Score

The All Coastal Conference?

It can only happen if ESPN gives the ACC a new contract with a revenue boost to split more ways..

How do Clemson and FSU react? A new conference members contract would be needed to placate them on revenue distribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom