Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The league would probably schedule a 3 game road trip to make it easier on the team. The AAC used to schedule a two game road trip when UConn went to Texas for the Dallas and Houston road games, one more shouldn't be much of a problem.
If you want to continue this argument, I’m yielding the floor to you. I’m not sure how I got sucked into it in the first place.

The signifIcant number isn’t 3 hours vs 4 hours flying time, it’s $2 million vs $31 million in TV revenue

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If UConn joins the Big 12, the traveling distances between schools would be getting ridiculous.

Flying distance from Hartford to Tucson (University of Arizona) - 2,198 - 4 hours, 54 minutes in the air.
Flying distance from Hartford to Tempe (Arizona State) - 2,209 - 4 hours, 55 minutes in the air.
Flying distance from Hartford to Denver (University of Colorado) - 1,692 - 3 hours, 58 minutes in the air.

Compared to the flying distance from Hartford to Miami - 1,184 - 2 hours, 43 minutes flying time.
Your point is taken. I remind you that at this point, traveling time and distance to road games is the least of UConn’s concerns as they hope to receive an invitation to join the Big 12.

Remember that NFL teams fly great distances to their road games every week. Seattle to Tampa. Los Angeles to New York, etc. Coast to coast, and border to border. It goes with the territory of being a member of a power conference with members spread across the country. I think UConn would more than welcome that opportunity. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

Wow..........what a surprise. The ship is sinking. It's time to abandon ship. Now.......what about UConn? Are they doing musical chairs and the music stopped, and they're still standing? :eek: The BIG 12 is running out of spots to invite outsiders to fill.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Wow..........what a surprise. The ship is sinking. It's time to abandon ship. Now.......what about UConn? Are they doing musical chairs and the music stopped, and they're still standing? :eek: The BIG 12 is running out of spots to invite outsiders to fill.
BREAKING: Have to report the news that I'm hearing (even if it's not good news) and the #Utes have an invite from Yormark and will commit to the #Big12 tomorrow. Brett Yormark is an American college athletic administrator. He is the current commissioner of the Big 12 Conference,

If by chance UConn receives an invitation, to join the BIG 12, I bet it won't take them longer than a heart beat to decide to accept it. ;)

Reaction Score
If UConn joins the Big 12, the traveling distances between schools would be getting ridiculous.

Flying distance from Hartford to Tucson (University of Arizona) - 2,198 - 4 hours, 54 minutes in the air.
Flying distance from Hartford to Tempe (Arizona State) - 2,209 - 4 hours, 55 minutes in the air.
Flying distance from Hartford to Denver (University of Colorado) - 1,692 - 3 hours, 58 minutes in the air.

Compared to the flying distance from Hartford to Miami - 1,184 - 2 hours, 43 minutes flying time.
What are we talking about here? A 4+ hour flight versus a 3+ hour flight a half dozen times a year? Gimme a break. Probably not a heck of a lot worse than a 3 hour bus trip to Seton Hall or St Johns. Try that in rush hour traffic.

Reaction Score
BREAKING: Have to report the news that I'm hearing (even if it's not good news) and the #Utes have an invite from Yormark and will commit to the #Big12 tomorrow. Brett Yormark is an American college athletic administrator. He is the current commissioner of the Big 12 Conference,

If by chance UConn receives an invitation, to join the BIG 12, I bet it won't take them longer than a heart beat to decide to accept it. ;)
Pac 12 Presidents meeting this AM to discuss all nine members signing Grant of Rights. Overnight other sources say that Oregon and Washington are leaning NOT to go to Big Ten. But hey, it's not even noon on the east coast, so more news to come. Fingers crossed.:)

sun

Reaction Score
What are we talking about here? A 4+ hour flight versus a 3+ hour flight a half dozen times a year? Gimme a break. Probably not a heck of a lot worse than a 3 hour bus trip to Seton Hall or St Johns. Try that in rush hour traffic.
It's not only UConn that will need to travel but also all the member schools that will vote on UConn's invitation to the Big 12.
Do they think that all of the extra traveling is worth the value that UConn football adds to the conference?
I guess that we'll eventually see what they think about it based on whether they invite UConn or not.
And UConn would still need to accept the offer.
There's more than just pros that factor into these decisions, there's also cons that need to be considered because once UConn joins it's hard to exit.
The main questions are whether the Big 12 is the best fit for UConn & whether UConn is the best fit for the Big 12.
An invitation & acceptance is a two way street.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Outside looking in yet again. At this point, even a sinking ACC would be better. At least start moving on up in the football world, get some additional revenue, work on the stadium, and end the independent league we are currently in.

Reaction Score
I live in the Seattle area, I'm a lifelong UConn fan having grown up in the state. Being married to a Washington alumna with two kids who went to WSU I watch a lot of PAC-12 sports.
As much as I hate to say it, the PAC-12 is toast. With the impending defection of the 4 corner schools to the Big 12 and possibly UW and UO headed to the Big 10, I see UConn's opportunity to move as shrinking everyday. Perhaps if FSU gets it's wish and leaves the ACC we'll see a reconstituted ACC where they might find a home. However........

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I live in the Seattle area, I'm a lifelong UConn fan having grown up in the state. Being married to a Washington alumna with two kids who went to WSU I watch a lot of PAC-12 sports.
As much as I hate to say it, the PAC-12 is toast. With the impending defection of the 4 corner schools to the Big 12 and possibly UW and UO headed to the Big 10, I see UConn's opportunity to move as shrinking everyday. Perhaps if FSU gets it's wish and leaves the ACC we'll see a reconstituted ACC where they might find a home. However........
Brett McMurphy just announced Oregon and Washington are joining the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Heard the same news. Now Arizona and ASU jump to B12 and possibly Utah as well. Looks like the door for UConn is locked.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It was also just announced by Colin Cowherd on his radio show.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Heard the same news. Now Arizona and ASU jump to B12 and possibly Utah as well. Looks like the door for UConn is locked.
There is someone posting in the conference realignment forum that has been informing us of situations before the general media confirms.

Many of the posters have skepticism about him. I don’t so take the following with a grain of salt.

Originally they wanted UConn and one western school preferably Arizona. Arizona wasn’t interested but Colorado indicated they were. When Colorado made it official he indicated we would be announcing. Then chaos started. U of A contacted the B12 and everything was frozen until they could officially declare.

Arizona’s Board of Regents met and wanted U of A and ASU to be a package. The Big 12 needed this as well to obtain an even number of schools with Colorado, UConn and U of A.

He categorically stated the B12 rejected Utah as an option.

Turns out the president of ASU did not want to leave the PAC. So U of A was stymied.

Now with the announcement of Oregon and Washington to the BIG the PAC is essentially destroyed. And knowing that the B12 might insist U of A come without ASU but with someone else. Stanford perhaps?

Reaction Score
There is someone posting in the conference realignment forum that has been informing us of situations before the general media confirms.

Many of the posters have skepticism about him. I don’t so take the following with a grain of salt.

Originally they wanted UConn and one western school preferably Arizona. Arizona wasn’t interested but Colorado indicated they were. When Colorado made it official he indicated we would be announcing. Then chaos started. U of A contacted the B12 and everything was frozen until they could officially declare.

Arizona’s Board of Regents met and wanted U of A and ASU to be a package. The Big 12 needed this as well to obtain an even number of schools with Colorado, UConn and U of A.

Turns out the president of ASU did not want to leave the PAC. So U of A was stymied.

Now with the announcement of Oregon and Washington to the BIG the PAC is essentially destroyed. And knowing that the B12 might insist U of A come without ASU but with someone else. Stanford perhaps?
I don't see Stanford going to the B12 for a host of reasons. Stanford is still hanging onto the education quality as a prime factor. Having said that I'm now thinking a new Pac-12/MW conference emerges with Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU as the headliners.
I think today is an absolutely horrible day for college sports.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I don't see Stanford going to the B12 for a host of reasons. Stanford is still hanging onto the education quality as a prime factor. Having said that I'm now thinking a new Pac-12/MW conference emerges with Cal, Stanford, OSU and WSU as the headliners.
I think today is an absolutely horrible day for college sports.
It’s a long shot but of the remaining PAC schools and the Mountain West schools the only school with educational quality would be Cal if U of A goes to B12.

B12 would have U of A, Kansas, Cincinnati and UConn. Not an overwhelming endorsement but better than your scenario education wise.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Outside looking in yet again. At this point, even a sinking ACC would be better. At least start moving on up in the football world, get some additional revenue, work on the stadium, and end the independent league we are currently in.
My father used to tell me......son, 50% of something, is always better than 100% of nothing. While the ACC may not have been UConn’s first choice, today it looks like their only choice, and they have yet to offer UConn an invitation. Perhaps in a year or two if and when Clemson, Florida State and maybe even North Carolina leave. Get in where you fit in.

Unfortunately for UConn, while they were patiently waiting in line for a supposedly forthcoming invite from the Big 12, due to the sudden demise of the PAC 12, some of their teams rushed the line and got in front of them. All of them appear to be more attractive to the executive committee and member presidents than UConn. Because of their geographic location and the competitive quality of their football programs, if nothing else. Whether we like it or not, football has and will continue to drive the bus. :oops:

Oregon, Washington finalizing move to Big Ten, sources say​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This thread will certainly generate a ton of responses. My first thought is how badly does UConn want to join a P5 conference, especially one whose member schools are mostly located in the midwest, and as the article mentions would have travel issues, and their football team is still rebuilding, and two, what is the projected financial health of the Big 12 in the next 5-10 years?

Is this a "Godfather" offer? Would this be a move UConn is willing to make, or are they better off for now staying put in the Big East and perhaps waiting for things to settle down in 2-3 years and then addressing the possibility of changing conferences (assuming an offer would still be on the table)?

The Big 12 is leaking oil and taking on water right now with the departure of Texas and Oklahoma. I’m not sure that is a vessel you want to board right now. I know UConn is eager to join a P5 conference, but I question if this would really benefit them in the long run. A better offer might be forthcoming down the road in a few years.
Carnac, everything you say is true. The way conferences are changing I think in the final analysis the more they change the more they will stay the same. Strong teams have always been strong and weak teams, other than mayby once every twenty years, remain weak. The only difference is they will be strong or weak in a new conference. If you go back for the last fifty or so years you will find a common thread - aside from a Pitt or Syracuse the strongest teams remain the same. Teams like Texas might have a couple of down years but they will come back into the top ten and join teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Southern Cal., no matter what conference they are in.

Reaction Score

Stanford’s a valuable franchise. I’m really surprised the B1G didn’t target them given all that league’s crap about academics.

Reaction Score

Good synopsis. Once the PAC12 Apple TV deal deadline approached which is today, the money wasn’t enough for the best teams to stay in that league. Then the dominos started to fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom