Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 38 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
My response would be the ACC -- as it represents a reasonable compromise between the two major UConn factions in the fan base, perhaps not as good financials but how much is enough (?), and increased risk, the latter of which would be mitigated if WVU also comes over. Oh, and it would mean playing ND once again periodically. At the Rent. But it is a close call.

Your thoughts?
I think the idea that the Acc is an option is less than 5% true but to play along…I’d take the Acc.

If we’re going with the assumption the GOR is airtight I think worrying about what might happen in 2036 is silly. No one can predict what things are going to be like then.

I also feel that even if say fsu and Clemson go sec and unc and Virginia go big 10 sooner than that, you’re left with a smaller version of what the big 12 is now, but one that we fit much better with.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Well that is surely an interesting take. The delay is actually being caused by UConn considering options of which there might be two not including staying in the BE?

So, let's just for chuckles stipulate that is true (although I happen to think that it is less than a 50% chance of being true). Which option would you prefer? The B12 with its perceived superior stability and financial package, or the ACC with far more alignment, lots of OBE rivalries, greater perceived stability risk, and perhaps not as good financials. Overlay on top of that the B12 currently being mesmerized by some shiny new PAC12 baubles. What say you?

My response would be the ACC -- as it represents a reasonable compromise between the two major UConn factions in the fan base, perhaps not as good financials but how much is enough (?), and increased risk, the latter of which would be mitigated if WVU also comes over. Oh, and it would mean playing ND once again periodically. At the Rent. But it is a close call.

Your thoughts?
I think the ACC is vulnerable. Not sure they are interested in expanding or UConn. If FSU tries to leave the one of the resistant schools would be gone. I’d be less excited about the Big 12 without WV but we are nowhere near any of these scenarios.

Reaction Score
An analogy:
UConn is analogous to the victim of abuse & the ACC is the abuser. After you've been burned TWICE, why would you even consider reconciliation when you have a new suitor who has thusfar treated you with respect? Entertaining a reunion with the ACC is akin to gluttony for punishment. I, for one would want no part of it.
THE ACC is looking into the magic mirror & finding out about Snow White & Prince Charming.

Reaction Score
I think the idea that the Acc is an option is less than 5% true but to play along…I’d take the Acc.

If we’re going with the assumption the GOR is airtight I think worrying about what might happen in 2036 is silly. No one can predict what things are going to be like then.

I also feel that even if say fsu and Clemson go sec and unc and Virginia go big 10 sooner than that, you’re left with a smaller version of what the big 12 is now, but one that we fit much better with.
Don't see the ACC as a viable option. Their marquee programs would leave in heartbeat. Adding teams to that league would mean trying to extract more money from ESPN (bad timing for that). Adding BC and Syracuse for supposed market value really hasn't worked for them. FSU probably lead the charge to admit Louisville over us 10 years ago and I don't see that attitude changing. They would view us as another mouth to feed without additional revenue. Clemson, FSU, etc. already are carrying BC, Syracuse, Wake. Pitt has at least upgraded their program but they aren't a strong national brand either. FSU, Clemson, and perhaps VaTech would fit in the SEC. UNC, UVA, and yes maybe Miami and GaTech for the Florida/Georgia market would fit in the B1G someday if there is room.
Actually GaTech and NC State would potentially add value to the Big 12 also. And I don't know, or really care, what happens to Duke (Ivy League).

We would give the Big 12 a foothold in the NY/NE market. The ACC has that already.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't believe there's any chance this is true. That being said, sign me up for the ACC. It would get us into the P5 club but keep us closer to home with some schools we actually have rivalries with.
I believe the ACC has to be at least thinking about it. There is nobody else they could conceivably add.

While I personally would prefer the Big XII because it would be a lot of fun for me to play schools I and my family have connections to, I think the ACC is a better place for UConn. Reunited with some old conference foes and better for all sports, both travel and sponsoring men’s soccer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I believe the ACC has to be at least thinking about it. There is nobody else they could conceivably add.

While I personally would prefer the Big XII because it would be a lot of fun for me to play schools I and my family have connections to, I think the ACC is a better place for UConn. Reunited with some old conference foes and better for all sports, both travel and sponsoring men’s soccer.
The interesting question is what does ESPN want. Supposedly they are on record for giving uconnmatt a full share to the big 12. If they wanted to buttress the ACC's East Coast dominance, they could pony up for Connecticut to the ACC. I doubt they will, and that is a statement of sorts.

Reaction Score
Every team in the Big XII s committed to the success of the Big XII, likely because they know they will ride or die with the conference. There won't be a BIG/SEC life raft for current BigXII teams if the death star gets used on the BigXII. This is why the BigXII should be very careful about adding teams like Oregon/Washington (if that is even possible.)

Meanwhile the ACC is the exact opposite. There are at least 7 teams in the ACC (the Magnificent 7) who have indicated they are unhappy with the current ACC. As we saw in the old BE, nothing destroys a conference faster than when members aren't committed to its long term survival. If the ACC doesn't make any additions based on the current PAC uncertainty then it goes to show the power brokers in the ACC (FSU and Clemson) don't want the conference to survive and will be out as soon as they legally can exit.

As it currently stands, the ACC is a better geographic/partner fit but it is not a better long term, stable place for UConn. The next few weeks will tell us everything we need to know about whether the ACC is committed to its survival. If the ACC doesn't add teams they are a dead conference walking.

Reaction Score
As it currently stands, the ACC is a better geographic/partner fit but it is not a better long term, stable place for UConn.

That's the general assessment right now but things can change. Most people thought the B12 was doomed when Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving.

I still think we go to the first P5 conference that makes us an offer.

Reaction Score
That's the general assessment right now but things can change. Most people thought the B12 was doomed when Texas and Oklahoma announced they were leaving.

I still think we go to the first P5 conference that makes us an offer.
I agree...UConn should absolutely take the first P5 offer they get. That said, I don't think an ACC offer is coming cause many of the teams in the ACC aren't interested in the long term survival of the ACC. A conference only adds teams if its members are planning for the future. I hope I am wrong on this....

Reaction Score
Every team in the Big XII s committed to the success of the Big XII, likely because they know they will ride or die with the conference. There won't be a BIG/SEC life raft for current BigXII teams if the death star gets used on the BigXII. This is why the BigXII should be very careful about adding teams like Oregon/Washington (if that is even possible.)

Meanwhile the ACC is the exact opposite. There are at least 7 teams in the ACC (the Magnificent 7) who have indicated they are unhappy with the current ACC. As we saw in the old BE, nothing destroys a conference faster than when members aren't committed to its long term survival. If the ACC doesn't make any additions based on the current PAC uncertainty then it goes to show the power brokers in the ACC (FSU and Clemson) don't want the conference to survive and will be out as soon as they legally can exit.

As it currently stands, the ACC is a better geographic/partner fit but it is not a better long term, stable place for UConn. The next few weeks will tell us everything we need to know about whether the ACC is committed to its survival. If the ACC doesn't add teams they are a dead conference walking.

But are there landing spots for 7 ACC teams? I doubt it. I think it’s a different landscape than when the big east fell apart

Reaction Score

Whether there is or isn't an external invite now for B12 teams, there isn't a single team in the Big 12 that would turn down an invite from the B1G or SEC. The "stability" of any conference outside of those two right now is a complete mirage. KU would jump to the B1G before they picked up the phone. OSU would follow OU to the SEC even faster.

Reaction Score
Whether there is or isn't an external invite now for B12 teams, there isn't a single team in the Big 12 that would turn down an invite from the B1G or SEC. The "stability" of any conference outside of those two right now is a complete mirage. KU would jump to the B1G before they picked up the phone. OSU would follow OU to the SEC even faster.
This is right. The ACC is more unstable because it has more desirable programs than the B12. Welcome to the paradoxical world of conference realignment.

Reaction Score
But are there landing spots for 7 ACC teams? I doubt it. I think it’s a different landscape than when the big east fell apart
UNC and Virginia easily have landing spots in either the B1G or the SEC.

If they go to the B1G (which is sort of what I'd expect), I'd expect Duke to go with them, and maybe Georgia Tech. In that scenario, NC State and Virginia Tech would probably find their way into the SEC.

Clemson and Florida State probably would find a home in the B12. Don't think the B1G would care about either, and why in the world would the SEC want them when they have the markets covered?

I honestly think it's only the former BE schools (minus VT) along with Wake Forest that won't have much of a landing spot. Miami and Syracuse probably find a home in the B12 if that happened. BC? Louisville? Why would anyone add them?

Reaction Score
Agreed….to quote Chris Rock from one of his comedy specials “a man is only as faithful as his opportunities.” The point is the current Big XII don’t have SEC/BIG opportunities and that is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

OK State will always be the #2 school in a low population state. Kansas is unlikely to become a football powerhouse. For the foreseeable future their best course of action is to build the Big XII which in turn makes the Big XII more stable.

Reaction Score
Whether you and I believe there are 7 landing spots for ACC teams is irrelevant. The 7 ACC teams involved believe there are better landing spots which is all that matters for predicting future behavior.

Reaction Score
I think that 7 ACC teams have been grousing about falling behind the P2 in revenue....I do not believe there will be a mass exodus.

If the high costs could be borne, and if somehow the ACC's ownership of rights for the next 13 years could be worked around (big IFs), I think you might see a couple of teams defect before 2030.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

If they go to the B1G (which is sort of what I'd expect), I'd expect Duke to go with them, and maybe Georgia Tech. In that scenario, NC State and Virginia Tech would probably find their way into the SEC.

Clemson and Florida State probably would find a home in the B12. Don't think the B1G would care about either, and why in the world would the SEC want them when they have the markets covered?

I honestly think it's only the former BE schools (minus VT) along with Wake Forest that won't have much of a landing spot. Miami and Syracuse probably find a home in the B12 if that happened. BC? Louisville? Why would anyone add them?
I want to get into the B12 more than before just so we can smile at Clemson and FSU and thumbs down them.

Reaction Score
An analogy:
UConn is analogous to the victim of abuse & the ACC is the abuser. After you've been burned TWICE, why would you even consider reconciliation when you have a new suitor who has thusfar treated you with respect? Entertaining a reunion with the ACC is akin to gluttony for punishment. I, for one would want no part of it.
THE ACC is looking into the magic mirror & finding out about Snow White & Prince Charming.
I agree with you, but IF they make an offer while the Big12 is hemming and hawing with PAC schools, you take it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I would think ND would be taken over Duke and finally capitulate if the BIG still wants them given shortly after the ACC implodes anyone outside power conferences will be relegated to division two like status.

It would be funny if B12 took them and Liberty to add to BYU. But not as funny as a scenario were ND had to park their bb with the BE. ND and the Catholic pips. Would love to see BC there as well.

Definitely think FSU and Clemson to B12 is their best landing spot which would be a shock to both of them.

GoKu stated he felt Pitt and GT would be the pieces added probably to fill geographical voids. My dream is B12 becomes the overwhelming bb conference and reduces the financial gap so much so that UNC and Virginia head to the bb conference to fill the void. One can dream.

Reaction Score

I agree with you on UNC and UVA, and think that they will go to the B1G. However, I don't see Duke going with them. I also agree with VT and NC State going to the SEC. However, you have Clemson and FSU going to the B12, and most people, myself included, have them going to the SEC. No conference has ever dissolved, as they all pull teams from a conference below them, so I see the P12 and ACC surviving, but becoming G5's.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I agree with you on UNC and UVA, and think that they will go to the B1G. However, I don't see Duke going with them. I also agree with VT and NC State going to the SEC. However, you have Clemson and FSU going to the B12, and most people, myself included, have them going to the SEC. No conference has ever dissolved, as they all pull teams from a conference below them, so I see the P12 and ACC surviving, but becoming G5's.
I know I keep saying this, but FSU is of more value to the Big10 while UNC and UVA are of more value to the SEC. I might also say that The Big10 is more valuable to FSU as they won’t be overshadowed in the same conference by UT. It’s why TAMU originally bolted for the SEC. If the pay is similar, wouldn’t the greater exposure in the Midwest, NYC/NJ and LA be of considerable value?

Reaction Score
There's no way that a conference with Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State and Cal being G5.

Reaction Score
I know I keep saying this, but FSU is of more value to the Big10 while UNC and UVA are of more value to the SEC. I might also say that The Big10 is more valuable to FSU as they won’t be overshadowed in the same conference by UT. It’s why TAMU originally bolted for the SEC. If the pay is similar, wouldn’t the greater exposure in the Midwest, NYC/NJ and LA be of considerable value?
FSU's academic standing has improved quite a bit the last 10-15 years.

Reaction Score

I'd make the case that the ACC is more stable only because 4 schools will get plucked by the power 2, and what remains is far more valuable, in heavily populated regions, than the B12. The problem is the contract. And the timing. The remaining schools would be wise to realize that they may need to give up a few years of the contract and let the big dogs go in order to create a stable conference.

But ESPN is absolutely incentivized to threaten them and tell them they will get nothing (same playbook they threatened the BE with), since ESPN owns Florida St, UNC, Virginia, Clemson and Miami for the next 13 years. Why give them up for cheap?

Reaction Score
We've been screwed by the Big East and the ACC and now the PACs undoing could put the kabash on us.

+300 Arizona
+400 ASU
+600 Utes
+700 HUSKIES!!!
+1200 zags
+1500 SDSU
+2000 memphis

"Now that the PAC 12 is on the brink of collapsing, the Big 12 can attempt to poach some of the league's most valuable programs."
This time around we did it to ourselves with a bad decade of football unfortunately.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom