Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Many people here follow this closer than I do, but I see zero indication UConn is going to the Big 12. I hear they add Colorado, Arizona, Washington, and Oregon. Then they stop. But I’d love a Big 12 invitation.
Who knows what will happen, but I've seen months of Colorado and UConn talk, and quotes about basketball and NYC from Yormack. That's much more than I've seen about Washington and Oregon.

Regardless, it's more than "zero indication."

GG

Reaction Score
Many people here follow this closer than I do, but I see zero indication UConn is going to the Big 12. I hear they add Colorado, Arizona, Washington, and Oregon. Then they stop. But I’d love a Big 12 invitation.
Washington and Oregon want the Big 10 and has already been vetted. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Who knows what will happen, but I've seen months of Colorado and UConn talk, and quotes about basketball and NYC from Yormack. That's much more than I've seen about Washington and Oregon.

Regardless, it's more than "zero indication."

The Athletic article and radio silence from UConn is the only shred of hope I have observed.

I think Yormark has a great deal sway now and if it’s true that we are part of the future vision then that could bode well.

He definitely has a big picture vision and direction that the national media haven’t grasped yet.

Reaction Score
Better than the conference that has the two national champions prior to us?
I'm not knocking the competition. It has definitely been the tougher conference recently. Just saying the Big East supports our BB program in specific ways that can't be replicated by the B12 or anyone for that matter

Reaction Score
We're not talking about money, the guy brought up a hypothetical we all know can't happen. The Big 12 is amazing for Kansas basketball, the Big East is amazing for UConn basketball. If you think leaving a conference which revolves around NYC and Madison Square Garden where UConn are kings for a conference which revolves around the the Plains where Kansas are kings and there will be no impact, you're clueless.
Myopia is disease! Hoop is great in the BE, but that's it... We need to broaden the quality of our conference experience. It's not a close call.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Washington and Oregon have not even been discussed as going to the Big XII until this afternoon. Most people find it highly unlikely. The Big XII would have to take them because they lost UT and OU (and Nebraska and A&M before that) so they are light on big name football. But that’s not where those schools want to end up.

Reaction Score
The Athletic article and radio silence from UConn is the only shred of hope I have observed.

I think Yormark has a great deal sway now and if it’s true that we are part of the future vision then that could bode well.

He definitely has a big picture vision and direction that the national media haven’t grasped yet.
There's a reason those guys tweet for a living and Yormark is a major executive.

Reaction Score
From McMurphy's article:

"It’s unknown how long the Big 12 will wait before moving on from adding any additional Pac-12 schools. There’s no deadline — not yet, anyway. To put in perspective how long the Big 12 may wait, Missouri didn’t announce it was leaving the Big 12 until November to play in the SEC the following season".

Reaction Score
I'm not knocking the competition. It has definitely been the tougher conference recently. Just saying the Big East supports our BB program in specific ways that can't be replicated by the B12 or anyone for that matter
The Big East can't replicate 30 million dollars a year.

Reaction Score
Have you guys also noticed how the narrative has changed today? It was always Colorado and then UConn. Now that Colorado is joining the Big 12 the twitter idiots don't mention UConn, slight/bash UConn, and pretend all of the Pac 12 is joining the Big 12.

Reaction Score
Myopia is disease! Hoop is great in the BE, but that's it... We need to broaden the quality of our conference experience. It's not a close call.

THIS, our baseball team is on a steady rise but the, frankly, pitiful Big East is hamstringing their efforts to make waves in the NCAA tournament by giving them not much challenge for a large portion of the season. Then when they get punched in the mouth by the big dogs in the NCAAs they don't know how to handle it. The Big XII is a top tier conference in baseball and our program needs that to help our rise.

Reaction Score
There's a reason those guys tweet for a living and Yormark is a major executive.

Let’s be honest. He tweets to get his article socialized.

He obviously seems to think he has an insight on Yormark’s preferences.

And the writer pointed out that he has to sell it. UConn was actually dismissed some time ago and seems to be moving back into the conversation a bit.

Reaction Score
THIS, our baseball team is on a steady rise but the, frankly, pitiful Big East is hamstringing their efforts to make waves in the NCAA tournament by giving them not much challenge for a large portion of the season. Then when they get punched in the mouth by the big dogs in the NCAAs they don't know how to handle it. The Big XII is a top tier conference in baseball and our program needs that to help our rise.
The baseball team was one win from the College World last year. Wouldn't call that getting punched in the mouth by the big dogs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Such as?

Reaction Score
This is utter and baseless nonsense that supports your own personal bias. Thanks for playing.
You legitimately believe the Villanova and Georgetown will be lining up to schedule OOC games after we leave the Big East, weaken their league, and lower their upcoming TV deal?

I also did not say "And that's why UConn should not pursue a Big 12 invite." I don't believe basketball scheduling is the primary decision point for the school. You jumped to that conclusion on your own based on....nonsense and personal bias.

I only pointed out the absurdity in that specific argument for leaving the Big East.

Reaction Score
The Big East can't replicate 30 million dollars a year.
And the Big Ten tried and failed to replicate the BET.

My point pertains to the on-court success of the basketball program. Not the AD budget, not the football team or anything else.

I know these decisions aren't made in a vacuum. I believe the B12 is the right move should we get the opportunity. But I insist we will be leaving what is presently a very favorable situation for the BB team

Reaction Score
And the Big Ten tried and failed to replicate the BET.

My point pertains to the on-court success of the basketball program. Not the AD budget, not the football team or anything else.

I know these decisions aren't made in a vacuum. I believe the B12 is the right move should we get the opportunity. But I insist we will be leaving what is presently a very favorable situation for the BB team

This is why missing out won’t be heartbreaking.

Taking control of our destiny in leaving the AAC was a smart play in the long term.

Reaction Score
You legitimately believe the Villanova and Georgetown will be lining up to schedule OOC games after we leave the Big East, weaken their league, and lower their upcoming TV deal?

I also did not say "And that's why UConn should not pursue a Big 12 invite." I don't believe basketball scheduling is the primary decision point for the school. You jumped to that conclusion on your own based on....nonsense and personal bias.

I only pointed out the absurdity in that specific argument for leaving the Big East.

This is right. They won’t be doing us any favors. But that won’t last forever.

Reaction Score
This is why missing out won’t be heartbreaking.

Taking control of our destiny in leaving the AAC was a smart play in the long term.
If we are not invited now, we are also on a solid enough ground to continue to succeed as a department until the next spot opens, unlike in 2011 or 2013 with the ACC.

We are not in a weak position as is like we were then.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 Didn’t Just Survive an Exodus, It’s Having a Renaissance

PAT FORDE 3 HOURS AGO

And now the Buffalo has landed, as the Big 12 continues to be the aggressor in the survival dance with the Pac-12. As multiple league sources have told Sports Illustrated this month, the opportunity to add a Power 5 member was a strong motivator. The question now is whether one or more of Colorado’s Pac-12 compatriots want to come along.

“If Colorado brings the four corners [fellow Pac-12 members Utah, Arizona and Arizona State], that’s the ideal scenario,” one source told SI. “I don’t think that’s going to happen. Our schools love the four corners, going from 12 to 16. Can Colorado bring in Arizona or Utah? Arizona more likely than Utah.”

Sixteen is the ideal the Big 12 wants, matching the Big Ten and SEC, but 14 will work. Thirteen is tougher to manage, and if nobody in the Pac-12 rides Colorado’s coattails out, that brings Connecticut into play. (UConn is more coveted by Yormark than some of the current league members, so it would be interesting to see how that potential dance plays out between commissioner and campus leaders.)

Other options: San Diego State, which was left hanging by the dithering Pac-12, would certainly like to land in a power conference; Gonzaga is the top basketball-centric possibility; some have mentioned St. John’s as a hoops draw as well.

Adding Colorado doesn’t appreciably elevate the league in comparison to the SEC and Big Ten. But it keeps the Atlantic Coast Conference on notice that an aggressive peer is always lurking. And it opens more distance on the Pac-12, a league that turned down a merger with the Big 12 less than two years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Prefacing this by saying I am in full support of UConn to the Big 12. But since you asked...

1) Regional rivals. We have 40 years of history with 5 members of the BE. What is our history with the B12? WVU and Cincy, and thats about it.
2) Conference Tournament. MSG, the worlds most famous arena, I don't need to explain how this is a better situation than KC/Dallas would be.
3) It's good to be king. UConn is the big dog in the BE. That is the national perception, even though we have not dominated our conference foes on the court. That is a luxury we will not have in the B12 with Kansas, Baylor and others. We will still be good no doubt, but just another team.

All of these challenges can be faced and overcome, and I think Coach Hurley and AD David Benedict are the right people to lead UConn through them. But in strict Basketball terms, we have a sweet setup in the Big East that any new conference would struggle to top
Lol you actually made me go back and look for that? You couldn't have just written a quick answer saying "regional rivalries" "the big east tournament" and "Ima scared of the big 12 teams"?

Oh hey I live in the New York metro area being in the Big East is good for me. And, in my opinion, nothing is better than going to the the big east tournament or really any games at MSG. Fortunately, your mark is bringing us in deliberately to plant a foothold in the NYC area. He also plans on Having Madison Square, Garden big 12 events. Take a look at this quote from The Athletic below:
IMG_9687.jpeg

So while I agree with the first points, as you say they can be overcome. Though no doubt we are giving up some regional rivals. I'm not sure that half the Big East would qualify for that, but they're definitely are some.

The notion that we can't compete against the big 12 in basketball is ludicrous.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Would they schedule KU, UK or North Carolina? That’s what it will mean to schedule UConn. Many Big East schools wouldn’t rate a home and home. So yeah, I think PC would be thrilled to play a team that would pack the dunk. Nova of course would play us as well. Georgetown? They aren’t on our level, playing them would be a gift to them.

They will all be collecting the NCAA money we just brought in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom