Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 36 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
"Jim Philips is open to expanding.." - now lets finish the sentence; "if ESPN will fully pay for it with a full share....and also cut the term of our GOR in 1/2."

The ACC would like to reopen that ESPN contract and moving schools around might be one way to make all parties happy again.

That all said, seems like the ACC expanding is something that is cloud talk and cannot be taken seriously. We cannot wait for the ACC to go through their process and make a legit proposal. Its too late.
My answer is duckk the ACC. Those guys made their bed already. We just need to get into the B12, and watch the ACC implode in about 12 years.

Reaction Score
The ACC isn't expanding, they basically admitted in the article that any candidate that would consider moving to the ACC wouldn't bring enough to make the addition worthwhile. It would be a neutral move with the result being more schools complaining about the situation.
But they also said that something has to give because they can't stay frozen as they are now for the next 13 years. They expect the TV coffers to dry up long before they come up again. So they'll either have to add or dissolve the contract.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yup. Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma actually have some desert.
Missouri does? Where? Southwest Missouri is pretty green. Curious about this.

Reaction Score
But they also said that something has to give because they can't stay frozen as they are now for the next 13 years. They expect the TV coffers to dry up long before they come up again. So they'll either have to add or dissolve the contract.
ACC is screwed either way. B12 also made a strategic move to negotiate for the next new contract before the ACC, so B12 can set the terms long before the ACC get to the negotiating table. ACC is run by a bunch of old outdated dinosaurs while the B12 is run by Yormark. All the rats and backstabbers trying to get a landing spot in about 13 years will be something to watch. If those schools that could get left behind are smart, they plan their strategies now. By now, I mean expand to have enough numbers so when FSU, Clemson, and others leave, they have numbers and a plan. Unfortunately, they are too greedy and too short-sighted to plan anything ahead. Assuming we find a landing spot in the B12, it will be a riot to watch those schools scrambling for once.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
ACC is screwed either way. B12 also made a strategic move to negotiate for the next new contract before the ACC, so B12 can set the terms long before the ACC get to the negotiating table. ACC is run by a bunch of old outdated dinosaurs while the B12 is run by Yormark. All the rats and backstabbers trying to get a landing spot in about 13 years will be something to watch. If those schools that could get left behind are smart, they plan their strategies now. By now, I mean expand to have enough numbers so when FSU, Clemson, and others leave, they have numbers and a plan. Unfortunately, they are too greedy and too short-sighted to plan anything ahead. Assuming we find a landing spot in the B12, it will be a riot to watch those schools scrambling for once.
The GOR provided stability and worked well as long as everyone in the conference was happy. As the SEC and BIG received significant increases in monies the stability became a liability to those member institutions that, if they could leave, could get access to those increases.

Leadership’s hands are tied. They could easily have been the conference to have taken the best of the Big12 and the PAC had OU, Texas, USC and UCLA bolted before the BIG and SEC received big increases. Now the ACC schools are stuck with one another. Meanwhile Yormack is potentially making the Big 12 the third strongest conference so that when the GOR terminates the ACC will be at its mercy as well as the SEC and BIG.

Not sure many would have predicted this a year ago.

Reaction Score
It's nice to be in a good spot for once. If we get invited to the Big 12, we get a ton of revenue and football has a path forward and basketball is still great. If we don't, we continue to enjoy a very good Big East with local rivalries, lock down MSG, and we'll have a bunch more opportunities for football scheduling once the PAC blows up. Who knows maybe we could even build a football only conference with whatever is left (Stanford, Cal, Oregon St, Wazzou, etc) + Army + UMass?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm not bothered that there is no news yet today. I always thought today would be way to quick on the heels of Colorado coming in yesterday. There are simply too many conversations to be had by all parties in AZ and other places to wrap this up today.

If we finish Tuesday 8/1 with no news, only then will I be discouraged. This is a lot to marshal, especially when several of these parties are state institutions subject to process requirements.

Reaction Score
I'm not bothered that there is no news yet today. I always thought today would be way to quick on the heels of Colorado coming in yesterday. There are simply too many conversations to be had by all parties in AZ and other places to wrap this up today.

If we finish Tuesday 8/1 with no news, only then will I be discouraged. This is a lot to marshal, especially when several of these parties are state institutions subject to process requirements.
I feel the complete opposite. This stuff usually happens quickly and in groups. The fact that it's 5:00 on Friday and hasn't leaked out has me thinking it's not happening

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Not sure many would have predicted this a year ago.

This Conference Realignment stuff is crazy. What was it, only 5 years ago when there was dialogue about many B12 teams negotiating with the AAC to come aboard to save themselves as the B12 was thought to be dead? Now just a few years later, the B12 is raiding the P12 and passing the ACC in the pecking order. Crazy!

And just goes to show you how important a good leader can be. Mike Arresco and John Marinato may be supplanted on the worst Conference Commissioners in history list by George Kliavkoff in a week or two!

Reaction Score
This Conference Realignment stuff is crazy. What was it, only 5 years ago when there was dialogue about many B12 teams negotiating with the AAC to come aboard to save themselves as the B12 was thought to be dead? Now just a few years later, the B12 is raiding the P12 and passing the ACC in the pecking order. Crazy!

And just goes to show you how important a good leader can be. Mike Arresco and John Marinato may be supplanted on the worst Conference Commissioners in history list by George Kliavkoff in a week or two!
Aresco is light years better than this Kliavkoff guy. Talk about totally misplaying your hand.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I feel the complete opposite. This stuff usually happens quickly and in groups. The fact that it's 5:00 on Friday and hasn't leaked out has me thinking it's not happening
Understood. This is just me - I'm good with it.

In my view; its been noticed that we aren't going anywhere, so the B12 admin energy is on pressuring 1-2 more P12 schools first. Make that 8/1 deadline red hot serious.

Reaction Score
They do care about their perception. The Big10 prides itself on it’s an academic reputation and hurting their like minded academic peers of the PAC hurts that reputation. It’s all a curtain, but it’s what the presidents of the universities want. That’s their job, perception and fund raising.
The Big10 has already destroyed the PAC

Reaction Score
Big 12 expansion: Conference prefers to add one more school after Colorado with Arizona seen as favorite

Arizona remains the favorite to fill that 14th spot with Arizona State, Utah and UConn considered other top Big 12 expansion candidates.

Gonzaga, Memphis, San Diego State and UNLV are not considered serious candidates at this point for the Big 12. The league prefers to add a current Power Five school but sees UConn as a top Group of Five option due to its stellar basketball program.

Adding to the wait-and-see aspect, Arizona president Robert Robbins was in London this week representing the school.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

It will be interesting to see if Yormack's vision proves to be brilliant. I believe it will which is why I want UConn to be in the Big12 even though my heart is in the BE.

The two things going against college basketball vs college football are less fan popularity and that monies are distributed among a much larger number of universities. Popularity is not controllable but the pie that receives the distribution is definitely controllable. Football has demonstrated it's mutually beneficial for content providers (universities) and content distributors (linear or streaming) if the numbers are reduced so long as the numbers work.

The significant advantage of college basketball over football is the number of games each provider produces relative to football. A university offering 30 games of basketball has an argument to get an equal value for its basketball package offering compared to its 12 football games. Why? Because content does matter.

The number will be hashed out but expect somewhere between 60 - 100 universities to get the share of reduced monies (compared to current overall distributions) that are now being distributed among 130 football universities and 350 basketball universities. The football pie is close to the future reduced number but the basketball pie can shrink considerably and this is Yormack's vision. It's a win win for both the universities that secede from the NCAA and the media that offers that content. That type of win win is why I believe it is a forgone conclusion that the P5 will become the autonomous (A) 3,4 or 5 conferences comprised of 20 teams each.

Yormack is not giving up on football by any means. He's just pivoting to make the Big12 the most superior conference in basketball. That has the potential to give him an equal seating with the SEC and the BIG. In fact if it ends up being three conferences I expect the BIG and Big12 to form an alliance and be the guiding conferences in future negotiations.

UConn continuously, even in this forum, is not being recognized or talked about in the same manner of Yormack's vision. @GoKU understands that vision and at the minimum is why he is confident in UConn getting into the Big12. It's also why this round is playing out the way it is. Arizona is a less valuable market and basketball commodity than UConn but if Yormack can squeeze AU into the conference with an already on board UConn his superior basketball conference will be achieved. We are not being dangled. We are working in conjunction with his direction. So I'm not panicking on the delay of UConn's admission to the conference.

The ACC will be interesting. Ten years from now is a long time and I wouldn't doubt if Yormack pivots the Big12 to approach monetary value of the SEC and BIG. It's a long shot but not out of the question. And if that happens then it won't be out to the question to see North Carolina and Virginia consider going to a basket ball centric conference over a football centric conference when the ACC GOR ends. Particularly given how the football schools of Clemson, FSU and Miami have marginalized them.

And that would be the karma that the ACC and the BIG deserves.

Reaction Score
Because this GoKU guy knows nothing. The B12 got CU already. If this was their plan, UConn’s invite would have came at the exact same time. McMurphy already told us what’s happening. We’re behind every single Pac school in the pecking order. 1 more Pac defection and it’s over for us
I guess you will find out soon enough.

Reaction Score
Man, the boneyard went into a full meltdown today. No one else has been invited publicly let’s take a deep breath and wait. I believe Yormark is pulling hard for us. The rest is noise from bloggers trying to will their schools to move. Let’s not kick ourselves in the nuts or start talks about abandoning football that’s exactly what gives our program a black eye. Mora has our guys working hard, and it should be a fun season. Even if we don’t get an invite this time our BB programs are both title contenders and our football coach has the program winning and exciting to watch. This won’t be the last time conference expansion happens. Stop the Charlie Brown nonsense and get excited for what really matters supporting our teams. We do that the rest will work out.

Reaction Score
Man, the boneyard went into a full meltdown today. No one else has been invited publicly let’s take a deep breath and wait. I believe Yormark is pulling hard for us. The rest is noise from bloggers trying to will their schools to move. Let’s not kick ourselves in the nuts or start talks about abandoning football that’s exactly what gives our program a black eye. Mora has our guys working hard, and it should be a fun season. Even if we don’t get an invite this time our BB programs are both title contenders and our football coach has the program winning and exciting to watch. This won’t be the last time conference expansion happens. Stop the Charlie Brown nonsense and get excited for what really matters supporting our teams. We do that the rest will work out.

1690584373230.jpeg

Reaction Score
No I don’t post but come on to see what’s up all the time. In previous adventures it seemed rather well known we were out when the meltdown started. This is probably 3 days early…

Reaction Score
I just saw GoKu drinking rolling rocks with Trilly Donovan for happy hour in Kansas City. Guys he is real.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom