Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 offered UConn a spot at a reduced amount like the Big 10 did to Rutgers Id be okay.

Rutgers needed a few to work up to equal conference share value

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yes. How is being in some conference full of tiny Catholic schools no one gives a s*it about toiling away for peanuts better than joining a power conference that is the best basketball conference in the country and pays its schools north of $30 million a year? At the very least, if you care about basketball, wouldn't you want to be in the best conference for said sport?

If you're not a basketball fan, then sure you don't care about the schools in the Big East, but it's kind of absurd to think that the rivalries wouldn't get worse. We would also lose the Big East Tournament at MSG which is a huge loss. I've accepted that moving to the Big XII is what's best overall for the university and is what we should be hoping for to happen, but there are going to be some things that suck about moving if we do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 offered UConn a spot at a reduced amount like the Big 10 did to Rutgers Id be okay.

Rutgers needed a few to work up to equal conference share value
I would too, if that reduced share was due to our buying in and established network in the repayment of our exit fees which they fronted for us, which was the reason why Rutgers got a reduced share. So, yeah, if the big 12 wants to pay us say $30 million upfront, and give us the opportunity to pay them back out of future earnings at no interest cost to us, I'm all in. I guess they'd have to establish a net work first, though, before we could buy into it.

Reaction Score
Yes. How is being in some conference full of tiny Catholic schools no one gives a s*it about toiling away for peanuts better than joining a power conference that is the best basketball conference in the country and pays its schools north of $30 million a year? At the very least, if you care about basketball, wouldn't you want to be in the best conference for said sport?
We're not talking about money, the guy brought up a hypothetical we all know can't happen. The Big 12 is amazing for Kansas basketball, the Big East is amazing for UConn basketball. If you think leaving a conference which revolves around NYC and Madison Square Garden where UConn are kings for a conference which revolves around the the Plains where Kansas are kings and there will be no impact, you're clueless.

Reaction Score
Guys, just like @upstater said, give it 45 years and you'll feel the same about Kansas State as we do Seton Hall today.

I'll check back in when I turn 82 to get a litmus test.

45 years? Just my two cents but Seton Hall is in a group with DePaul and Butler as our most boring conference opponents. Kansas State and their current coach will surpass them in game one.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
45 years? Just my two cents but Seton Hall is in a group with DePaul and Butler as our most boring conference opponents. Kansas State and their current coach will surpass them in game one.

You don't understand because you never took a semester and a half at Seton Hall.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Guys, just like @upstater said, give it 45 years and you'll feel the same about Kansas State as we do Seton Hall today.

So it's going to take K St 45 years to become completely irrelevant? I can live with that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You don't understand because you never took a semester and a half at Seton Hall.
I almost took a post grad class at Seton Hall to spare us the hassle of going into New York City where we were going to school at the time. I went to the first class and, let's just say it was less than impressive. The coworker that I had convinced to go with me was mad at me for a while.

Reaction Score

But I'll feel better about playing Kansas in 10 seconds.

That will get UNC/Duke billing.

Kentucky will watch on jealously.

Are you so blind you don't see the potential?

Players are going to want to be a part of the 2 must see TV games of the year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

If Colorado is the only Pac-12 member coming in, don’t be surprised if Yormark goes all-in on UConn. All the political capital he’s gaining in the eyes of his league presidents, chancellors and ADs from pulling off this Colorado move? Conference sources believe that’s where he wants to spend it.

But Yormark sees an entry point into New York City. He sees a dominant basketball conference and big-time events at Madison Square Garden. He sees a future in which the Big 12 makes more money down the road by decoupling its media rights package and selling its basketball rights separately. Conference sources say he sees a sort of buy-low opportunity here, a bet that the Big 12 investing in UConn over the rest of the decade will drive up the conference’s value. For him, there’s no hesitation. There’s real conviction.
This article will certainly help his case:

UConn nominated for USA Today ‘Best College for Sports Fans’ award

Reaction Score
The B12 basketball is very good, so this isn't like the American...but people who don't get how having historic rivals who focus on basketball and regularly playing at MSG is—in an ideal, money-free world—better are crazy.
Somehow, in our society at the moment, something has to be all good or all bad. No one wants to hear the flaws of a good plan or the benefits of a bad one.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
But I'll feel better about playing Kansas in 10 seconds.

That will get UNC/Duke billing.

Kentucky will watch on jealously.

Are you so blind you don't see the potential?

Players are going to want to be a part of the 2 must see TV games of the year.
This^^. And does anyone have any doubt that we can easily book OOC games against 'Nova and G-Town? They'll be crazy to play their old conferene rival who now beats Kansas twice a year. They'll be fighting to maintain their relevance as the have/have-not gap widens.

I can foresee a nice cycle of OOC's against Big East and ACC/Old Big East Rivals happening. It wouldn't surprise me if Yormark hasn't already envisioned a special MSG event, maybe an early season invitational? How about a B12/BE challenge?

Looking forward is way more exciting than slowly fading into irrelevance fawning over the irreproducible past.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Somehow, in our society at the moment, something has to be all good or all bad. No one wants to hear the flaws of a good plan or the benefits of a bad one.
No one is an exaggeration which even in this thread has been shown to be inaccurate.

And people making arguments for a position throughout history tend to ignore, dismiss or minimize points that undermine their position.

Reaction Score
I just want to be in a position to cement UConn’s position as dominate BB program and top 25-50 FB program.

Always competing for tourney and NC’s on the court and getting into fb playoffs and national conversation every few years. Basically what we had before the rug was pulled out from under us a little over a decade ago.

Reaction Score
No one is an exaggeration which even in this thread has been shown to be inaccurate.

And people making arguments for a position throughout history tend to ignore, dismiss or minimize points that undermine their position.
You are correct that no one was not a literal statement but an exaggeration. A better phrase would have been Far too many people.

But there have not been many prior points in history where people are as free to consume a false version of the truth than today.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The B12 basketball is very good, so this isn't like the American...but people who don't get how having historic rivals who focus on basketball and regularly playing at MSG is—in an ideal, money-free world—better are crazy.
There are definitely advantages to having UConn in a tournament played at MSG over Kansas. Perhaps recruiting might benefit from it as well. But the most important factor is success or failure.

Leaving the Yankee conference and joining the BE we struggled initially and the teams we considered rivals were those teams who struggled likewise. As JC brought the program to prominence our rivals became those teams who were likewise successful. That changed over time as we maintained a high degree of success while other programs did not. And talk about elitist Pac schools. Syracuse and Georgetown fans never could admit we were at their level even when Pitt and Louisville challenged us more than they did.

Our early success in the AAC did not develop rivalries because the first season we had the ban and the second season there were no good AAC teams. When we started hitting the bed Cinci, Houston and Memphis began playing better and instead of becoming our potential rivals we began blaming the AAC for our situation along with the coaching problems.

When we returned to the BE our rivals once again became those programs who were successful as Hurley got us to a degree of success. We expected Nova to be one of them. Creighton had our number and it became one of the BE programs UConn fans most wanted to beat. But what happened this year. Ending fourth in the BE regular season and losing in the semis to Xavier in the conference tournament were overcome by how we did outside the conference. And the two teams that did the best in the tournament were not geographically as close to MSG as several of the other BE teams. So proximity to the tournament site was irrelevant for the BE conference tournament success refuting some of the supposition made by others as a necessity to UConn's success.

If we get to the Big12 and Hurley can maintain UConn at its current level we will develop new rivals just like we did in the past.

Now if you are talking about fan experience then it is an absolute negative regarding attending tournament and away games. But if the B12 can maintain its superiority in basketball a lot of the itching among fans regarding home games will significantly diminish. More so if the autonomous rumbling we are hearing from the P5 plays out and/or the NIL can use media money.

Reaction Score
This^^. And does anyone have any doubt that we can easily book OOC games against 'Nova and G-Town? They'll be crazy to play their old conferene rival who now beats Kansas twice a year. They'll be fighting to maintain their relevance as the have/have-not gap widens.

I can foresee a nice cycle of OOC's against Big East and ACC/Old Big East Rivals happening. It wouldn't surprise me if Yormark hasn't already envisioned a special MSG event, maybe an early season invitational? How about a B12/BE challenge?

Looking forward is way more exciting than slowly fading into irrelevance fawning over the irreproducible past.
Nope.

We won't be getting many, if any, games against Big East teams if we go to the Big 12.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Many people here follow this closer than I do, but I see zero indication UConn is going to the Big 12. I hear they add Colorado, Arizona, Washington, and Oregon. Then they stop. But I’d love a Big 12 invitation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom