Big 12 meets, develops vague expansion non-plan | The Boneyard

Big 12 meets, develops vague expansion non-plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is happy at ten, unless they're not. And they won't expand unless they do.

And if the ACC gets carved like a Thanksgiving turkey, the Big 12 has identified the pieces of dark meat that would likely be left over for them.

Basically, a maddening update that does nothing but expand the list of institutions that I would like to see burned to the ground.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is happy at ten, unless they're not. And they won't expand unless they do.

And if the ACC gets carved like a Thanksgiving turkey, the Big 12 has identified the pieces of dark meat that would likely be left over for them.

Basically, a maddening update that does nothing but expand the list of institutions that I would like to see burned to the ground.

what the b12 did today was coem out of the closet and admit they are 4th best. they are not better than the acc but they have texalhoma and they have a gor so they win the 4th place. what they told everyone today was they eventually need to add but becuase the spread between them and the acc isn't big enough, they need others to do work for them to then do work. they screwed the pooch perception wise. they will live but live thru the sec/b10.

what they confirmed? is that unc is going south and uva is going north and the line will be drawn somewhere in the hills on VA where moonshine and john deers are the daily catch. the b12 can't be powerful until others are set in power.

i smell unc/vt to the sec
b10 to add uva plus a north east school
then its question of who the b12 can get to bite and how many. wvu crew will never admit it, but it is what it is.

uconn leadership has to fight bc now or never. perception and marketing the school vs a golden boy up north. one of us will get the call. i have no faith in leadership, they need to prove to me they give a dam.

Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have a person assigned just to conference realignment? I'm confident Herbst has the academic stuff down pat, but she really needed to hire a cutthroat mercenary as an AD. Warde simply comes off as to green for what is going on now. And if he uses "monitoring" one more time!!!

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Now its up to FSU, Miami , or Clemson to make the next move. They are the dark meat.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Doesn't UConn have a person assigned just to conference realignment? I'm confident Herbst has the academic stuff down pat, but she really needed to hire a cutthroat mercenary as an AD. Warde simply comes off as to green for what is going on now. And if he uses "monitoring" one more time!!!

I think that person just keeps her informed on activities and movement, just a staffer with no actual power or authority.

Reaction Score
Okay so Bowlsby publicly said any additional members would have to bring the same amount as the average for current members, $26.2M.... My guess (and only a guess, cuz i haven't gone looking) is that none of them meet that "threshold"?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Despite the rumors, I don't believe that North Carolina would ever consider the SEC.

These are not easy days to tout UNC's academics, but they would never, ever be on a level playing field in the SEC.

You could get a cadaver into an SEC school. In a remarkable development, Florida turned away a four-star recruit because of his grades (they likely just found someone better), so where does the kid go? He takes a trip to Auburn and then commits to Kentucky.

North Carolina would have to sit at the geek table with Vanderbilt.

And North Carolina, if they move, will move with Duke. Write that in stone - those two schools hate each other, but then they have a couple of drinks on Saturday and end up in sweaty pig pile. One can't exist without the other.

My reading of everything is that we're heading for a Mexican standoff.

The Big 12, SEC and Big Ten will all sit staring at the ACC for a couple of years before anything happens.

Reaction Score
Okay so Bowlsby publicly said any additional members would have to bring the same amount as the average for current members, $26.2M.... My guess (and only a guess, cuz i haven't gone looking) is that none of them meet that "threshold"?

That's a dumb way to do business. The sum of the whole is greater than the parts if you have for example, Duke and UNC. Couple that with Kansas and you could have a pretty damn sexy basketball conference.

oh wait, I forgot. Basketball really doesn't matter anymore. Move along.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think unc made it clear with butch, the tutors and fake classes that they are willing to play sec ball. i agree academics wise they fit the b10 and i think unc to the b10 would be very cool from a sports view, but lately they scream sec. if they go to the b10, then another NC school will end up eventually in the sec. thats huge competition to unc and that also puts unc on a cultural and recruiting island from fball recruits to student prospects. if they go to the sec, no other NC school gets a good invite. at best 1 or 2 ge b12 invites is a east/west b12 messy survial league. unc will not let themsleves get played out by ncst in the sec or something like that. they will in the end f tobacco road and do whats best for them. the culture down there is sec with northern roots recently in demo shifts. they will get murdered on the trail recruiting wise going north. the fanbase will not be able to enjoy playing ind and msu as much as they would like to play uk and fl. the unc high ups know this and have it all figured out. they will ride the tobacco road glory out until its time to say enough is enough. sec $ will be coming soon with its contract and networks stuff. unc will follow the $.

i dont see the duke little brother thing everyone else does. either duke is completely rich to a sec network $ wise or they are not. unc will not base its future on a private school down the street. when it comes down to bball games, those 2 will figure it out and play every year and the hate from movement will actually make the rival better.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
I agree that the UNC-Duke sticking together stuff is overblown. If basketball rivalries mattered to this process, this process would not be happening.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Again, Duke and North Carolina will always be in the same conference.

Scenarios where they aren't are simply non-starters.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

ok fine. u win. 2moro i will tell the dude, mhv er3 and melogrovy that were going to blow up the b12 instead of the acc. i'm thinking tobacco road wants kansas and fsu wants oklahoma. game on.

Reaction Score

Of course you think that. You're one of those people who still think basketball matters.

I think it's 50/50 at this point. They can still play eachother all they want.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
ok fine. u win. 2moro i will tell the dude, er3 and melogrovy that were going to blow up the b12 instead of the acc.

I'd love to read the minutes of that meeting.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest1-lg.jpg

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Of course you think that. You're one of those people who still think basketball matters.

I think it's 50/50 at this point. They can still play eachother all they want.

Sigh.

Monkeys. Everywhere, monkeys.

For starters, never presume to tell me what I think.

Second, you all come get me when when they end up in different conferences.

Reaction Score
Sigh.

Monkeys. Everywhere, monkeys.

For starters, never presume to tell me what I think.

Second, you all come get me when when they end up in different conferences.

No need to presume. I just read what you write. Unless you just post stuff that you don't believe. But that would be kind of weird.

Reaction Score
If UNC could choose one school to take with them wherever they go, it would be Duke. Virginia would be a distant second. UNC will want a rival wherever they go (and SC or Maryland do not count), and they are big enough to probably be able to bluff their way into forcing the issue. It isn't simply basketball, but that is the most accessible side of the rivalry. Which is why, if push came to shove, I think the SEC would be UNC's destination. They seem more willing (and flexible) to taking Duke with UNC.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No need to presume. I just read what you write. Unless you just post stuff that you don't believe. But that would be kind of weird.

Basketball has mattered exactly twice in expansion - Syracuse and Pitt and the split of the C7. But I don't even believe I've posted that thought.

Fortunately, we have a comprehensive search feature here - at your convenience, I'd love to see these posts of mine stating that basketball matters.

Reaction Score
Basketball has mattered exactly twice in expansion - Syracuse and Pitt and the split of the C7. But I don't even believe I've posted that thought.

Fortunately, we have a comprehensive search feature here - at your convenience, I'd love to see these posts of mine stating that basketball matters.

Well the Duke/UNC football rivalry is pretty meaningless. So unless we are talking lacrosse or women's tennis, then I don't know what sport you are referring to when you basically state that the two schools are joined at the hip.

Any reasonable person would assume its basketball, but what do I know. The point is, I would say it's 50/50 because truthfully everyone with a clue can see that the future of college sports will be dictated by the college football playoff.

Once you realize that, then it's not hard to see that UNC would leave Duke in it's wake knowing that they'll get to play them in basketball whenever the hell they want to anyways.

The fact that you won't even entertain that possibility tells me that you think basketball still matters ( it doesn't, nobody gives a crap about the C7 or Syrapitt).

If i'm wrong, I really couldn't give a crap, but I'm not wrong about basketball not really being a factor in determining the shape of college sports in the future. Because it's just something that most people watch to get through the last three weeks of winter, and then it's promptly forgotten.

Search function? I really don't care that much.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'll save you the time - you can search all year and you won't find what you've claimed.

So, again, don't presume to tell me what I think because you clearly have no idea.

North Carolina and Duke co-exist on levels well past basketball. And it's not what's important to us, it's what's important to them. They're nine miles apart, you can't spend time at one without seeing evidence of the other, they've even played about 100 football games going back to the 1890's - there is a cultural tie there that won't be 'realigned' by conference athletics. (Apparently, the football rivalry was nasty as well until they both decided to suck more often than not.)

And Duke is a really easy pill to swallow if you get North Carolina to sign on the dotted line. (Both are AAU...)

Reaction Score
Even if they are in different conferences, they'll still,be nine miles apart. They can still play eachother to their heart's delight. I think that if realignment has proven anything, it's shown given assumptions aren't given. Nobody could fathom Texas and TAMU being in different comferences, same goes for Kansas and Mizzou even.

Self preservation will always come first. I could definitely see a scenario where one went to the B1G and the other to the SEC.

I say it's 50/50, you say zero. Whatever. We will see. Personally, if I were a commish, I wouldn't want one without the other.

I'll save you the time - you can search all duck*ing year and you won't find what you've claimed.

So, again, don't presume to tell me what I think because you clearly have no idea.

North Carolina and Duke co-exist on levels well past basketball. They're nine miles apart, you can't spend time at one without seeing evidence of the other, they've even played about 100 football games going back to the 1890's - there is a cultural tie there that won't be 'realigned' by conference athletics.

And Duke is a really easy pill to swallow if you get North Carolina to sign on the dotted line. (Both are AAU...)

Reaction Score
It isn't about basketball per se, it is about keeping UNC happy. Virginia might do that for some of the old guards. But the preference for an ACC partner would always be Duke. And UNC will likely do everything it can to keep the two together. It wouldn't go down with the titanic if there was only one spot on the life raft available, but short of that I'd expect UNC would try to keep Duke. It means that much down here. Like Oklahoma being tied to Okie State, or Texas being tied to it's ego.

Reaction Score
The closest similar scenario we have seen so far is Kansas-Mizzou. Texas-Tamu would be akin to UNC-State. But no one thought the border war would die among fans. The difference is Mizzou admin had no problem killing it. They wanted out of the Big XII so bad, they were willing to leave everything behind. Neither UNC or Duke has shown a willingness to leave. And if forced to by events, UNC is one of a handful of schools probably able to bring a 'friend' along. Being the most lucrative target smack dab between two different conferences has it's benefits, this is one. I think the SEC would probably be the first to accept both unless the Big 10 is seriously pondering 20.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is becoming clearer is that none of the schools the Big 12 would want are interested in the Big 12.

Here is the funny thing about the ACC. The schools that have value (Florida State, North Carolina, Clemson) seem awfully interested in staying exactly where they are. There is a reason Rutgers got invited to the Big 10.

I do not think North Carolina will leave the ACC unless so many other schools left that it was unrecognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom