Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Oh, I am aware. It sure would be ironic if we end up going to the Big 12 with FSU and Clemson though.

How would that possibly happen?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First, I don't think there is any question that ESPN played a role in realignment. For crying out loud, they financed it - if you think a conference expanded without knowing what their broadcast partner would pay for the addition, you're lost.

I thought ESPN made a reasonable offer to the Big East and I also do not think it was unreasonable for the Big East to turn down an initial offer. Clearly, we lacked business savvy at the top because instead of counter offering or waiting on the market, ESPN facilitated the end of the conference - unlike Nelson and his connecting-the-dots addition, (some of the increases were market adjustments and not related to additional programs), I think that was an excellent strategy for ESPN.

You can say they have less content, but that's debatable given that they've grown their other holdings - and they've eliminated content that might have been available to a competitor.
So they used their monopoly of college sports content to squeeze out a competitor? That would seem problematic, if scruitenized.

While hindsight is 20/20, I don't think that turning down a contract that would have firmly locked us into place as the lowest paid of the BCS conferences was a mistake given the landscape - at that time. I agree that it sure seems like we could have countered that into a viable deal with ESPN had we had a competent team making the deal. Again, with hindsight, we should have locked own our members via a GOR, but who'd have expected that the university leading the charge to reject the deal would then use the deal's rejection to justify walking out the door.

ESPN's dismantling of the Big East is galling. It's manipulation of universities long term finances to prevent a competitor from getting a foot hold in a market is a shocking disregard of the public good. It amazes me that it isn't being challenged by NBC. I suspect that it will be considered if the NBCsports effort tanks.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 would actually be very well served to attack the northeast and add the likes of UConn, Louisville, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. 4 instant rivals for WVU. We'd make up 1/3rd of the Big 12 if they were to go to 15 with that alignment. Expanding into the southeast would also be a very good idea. Add another 5 teams, Florida State, NC State, Virginia Tech, Miami and maybe Georgia Tech. Not sure about Syracuse. Stony Brook may overtake them. I really like our future.

if UNC goes to the SEC, we'll likely have the chance to decide between the Big 12 and Big 10. I would probably have to go with the Big 12 here. The midwest is not in good shape.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda (@TuxedoYoda)
2/9/13, 10:15 AM
An article for everyone to read who thinks B12 expansion is just the product of anonymous message board gossip:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...c-director-luck-hints-big-12-expansion-coming

Tuxedo Yoda (@TuxedoYoda)
2/9/13, 11:18 AM
Go to 2:34:35 and listen to WVU AD Oliver Luck make some VERY strong statements about Big 12 expansion: www.youtube.com/embed/JGuNHtIt4bc
You listen to that YouTube clip and it seems pretty apparent that the Big12 will indeed expand. he referenced the Big East implosion coupled with other confernces expanding. as we have all said, this aint over.

Reaction Score
"Oh, we're not on the Big Ten's radar!" I am sure that's why we've been mentioned in Big Ten territory media multiple times. Here's a new one for y'all. We're now being mentioned as a Big 12 expansion candidate in Fort Worth.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/01/16/4552798/big-12-commissioner-league-could.html

Being mentioned in the media in Big 12 territory, is not the same thing as being in consideration by actual decision makers in the Big 10.

You guys can play the conference realignment edition of the Kevin Bacon game all you want. But it's full on stupid.

Reaction Score
What do you know? Besides whining and Memphis?

Not much, but still a fair bit more than you. At least I don't think media discussion is tantamount to "being on anyone's radar".

Reaction Score
Not much, but still a fair bit more than you. At least I don't think media discussion is tantamount to "being on anyone's radar".
Then little do you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak