Big 12 Meetings | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love the fan comment after the article indicating that our women's BB team would never win a B12 title if we join the conference, as though we couldn't handle the increase in level of competition. That's one of the most hilarious things I've ever read, even though it comes from a clueless UT football fan with no idea that we used to dominate the best women's BB conference in the country when we were in the old Big East.

It does, however, show how little women's athletics are valued in that league and likely in this whole process. Don't expect us to get any consideration for having a national championship winning machine in women's BB.

I actually took her comment to mean that the women's hoops programs that are currently in the Big 12 would never win the conference if UConn joined. She did say "programs," not "program."

Reaction Score
I'm still thinking Cincy and Houston are in like flynn. I still maintain UConn is the best candidate (and likely third on the Big 12's list) so I hope they go for four - and honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't. The biggest question is who's the fourth?

BYU raises red flags. (Hell, they'd already be in if they didn't). Memphis is a cut below. UCF/USF are indistinguishably blah.

What do you think about East Carolina?

You have your answer.

Reaction Score
I'd say God and guns are the idols of a vocal minority that seems to epitomize a sheeplike majority. I think a more accurate assessment of our priorities would be football and food.

We are some food lovin' mofos. We love our barbecue, we love our Tex-Mex, we love our food trucks. On holidays, we love tamales and pecan pie. In the summertime we love watermelon and ice cream.

Food is our god!

We start our days with breakfast tacos or migas. Along about lunchtime, we might go for crispy tacos or enchiladas, or we might opt for chopped beef brisket on a bun. After work, we drink margaritas and eat chips with salsa. At dinner time we might grill a steak or eat fajitas with grilled peppers and onions.

We love food. We eat like nobody else in the world. And we have the obesity to prove it too!

You're going to LOVE away games in Texas!

It would a lot better than spending a weekend in Syracuse...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm still thinking Cincy and Houston are in like flynn. I still maintain UConn is the best candidate (and likely third on the Big 12's list) so I hope they go for four - and honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't. The biggest question is who's the fourth?

BYU raises red flags. (Hell, they'd already be in if they didn't). Memphis is a cut below. UCF/USF are indistinguishably blah.

What do you think about East Carolina?

Think about ECU this way. It's the fifth most attractive school (in football) in the state of NC. UNC Charlotte is better at basketball. It's academics are poor and it's in a less populated part of the state.

Memphis is the third best program in Tennessee, a slightly smaller state but bigger city. But it gets competition from Ole Miss down the road and academics are terrible.

UCF is the fourth best program in Florida, a much larger state. It's a much bigger school, with better academics than Memphis or ECU and is in a better media market than the other two.

UCF is simply a much better addition than Memphis or ECU. I don't know if they make the cut, but they shouldn't be worse than 5th on the list.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I love the fan comment after the article indicating that our women's BB team would never win a B12 title if we join the conference, as though we couldn't handle the increase in level of competition. That's one of the most hilarious things I've ever read, even though it comes from a clueless UT football fan with no idea that we used to dominate the best women's BB conference in the country when we were in the old Big East.

It does, however, show how little women's athletics are valued in that league and likely in this whole process. Don't expect us to get any consideration for having a national championship winning machine in women's BB.

Those people are taking crazy pills. UConn might go a few years before it loses a game in the Big 12 in women's basketball. The Big East was a stronger league than the B12 is in WBB.

Reaction Score
Think about ECU this way. It's the fifth most attractive school (in football) in the state of NC. UNC Charlotte is better at basketball. It's academics are poor and it's in a less populated part of the state.

Memphis is the third best program in Tennessee, a slightly smaller state but bigger city. But it gets competition from Ole Miss down the road and academics are terrible.

UCF is the fourth best program in Florida, a much larger state. It's a much bigger school, with better academics than Memphis or ECU and is in a better media market than the other two.

UCF is simply a much better addition than Memphis or ECU. I don't know if they make the cut, but they shouldn't be worse than 5th on the list.

Thank you, HuskyHawk. You saved me the trouble of googling ECU.

Reaction Score

Those people are taking crazy pills. UConn might go a few years before it loses a game in the Big 12 in women's basketball. The Big East was a stronger league than the B12 is in WBB.
The Texas fan was saying the Uconn would win and the other B12 teams would not.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
East Carolina has some solid bbq sauce though. Spicy and 100% vinegar based. Not a drop of 'Chup in it. Made me some last weekend to go on a smoked pork butt. Probably not the style for Texans however.

Reaction Score
So he guessed. Cool that explains it.

“(Ryan) Brewer analyzed each program’s revenues and expenses and made cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections to calculate what a college team would be worth on the open market, if it could be bought and sold like a professional franchise.”

Not quite. This is very close to what investment bankers do to define the "worth" of a client's acquisition target. As with any similar issue, the biggest fights are over future projections and related assumptions.

Reaction Score
Numbers don't lie, but they often tell selective truths.

You know how the interview for corporate accountant goes:

First four are asked the question..."what is the sum of 6 plus 4?" They all answer correctly.

The fifth, when asked, answers "what do you want it be?"

Hired.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I tried to come up with the best one line reason for the Big12 not to add these schools. This is what I got.

Houston: Adds nothing to the conference footprint.
BYU: A combination of the worst aspects of UT and Baylor.
Cincy: Maxed out program, they aren't getting any better than they are.
Memphis: A lower quality version of Cincy.
USF: The fifth best program in FL isn't all that good.
UCF: Neither is the fourth best.
CSU: Really? Their not as good as Colorado, who they are lucky left for the Pac12.
UConn: FB team isn't a Top 25 program.

There is really no rational reason for them not to start with UConn and go from there. But, rational is not the B12's middle name.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Cincy is the second best school being considered from an academic standpoint. That should count for a lot, but who knows if it will in the end?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
East Carolina has some solid bbq sauce though. Spicy and 100% vinegar based. Not a drop of 'Chup in it. Made me some last weekend to go on a smoked pork butt. Probably not the style for Texans however.
ECU cares about exactly 2 sports, football and baseball, so actually a pretty good fit for the B12.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I like the Lexington (Western Carolina) sauce more. Vinegar based, but with some ketchup added. Still nice and spicy, goes so well with pork butt smoked in peach and apple smoke. I'm thinking I need to make one here soon!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Also, can't UConn basically say we won't take home any TV money for a period of time (essentially maintain the status quo given the AAC TV deal) but getting our Tier 3 back and increased ticket sales (presumably) would more than make up for that?

Offer to play Texas at Yankee a stadium or giants stadium?

I feel like EVERYTHING has to be on the table.

I don't know this to be the case and I don't know if its even true but its just my opinion that I don't think Texas could care less about playing in Yankee Stadium (or any baseball/non-football venue)

Reaction Score
I like the Lexington (Western Carolina) sauce more. Vinegar based, but with some ketchup added. Still nice and spicy, goes so well with pork butt smoked in peach and apple smoke. I'm thinking I need to make one here soon!

Speaking of which, I drive through Lexington every month on the way back to Charlotte for business travel. Is there a place there you recommend? I've always thought about stopping for BBQ but haven't yet. Going back in mid-august.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Speaking of which, I drive through Lexington every month on the way back to Charlotte for business travel. Is there a place there you recommend? I've always thought about stopping for BBQ but haven't yet. Going back in mid-august.

I couldn't tell you, I have never been to North Carolina. I've had good Carolina BBQ from a Carolina native, but have never been myself. I make a sauce that I like, but someone who is a traditionalist would not appreciate.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

As long as it isn't mustard based. Hate those sauces.

I'm from KC originally, so like KC sauces, but of those Arthur Bryant's is my favorite. It's more vinegar based as well, quite spicy.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
culturally- ECU would actually make sense. Also ECU isn't the 5th most popular team in football in the state- probably 2nd or 3rd. Definitely ahead of Duke and Wake, definitely behind UNC, probably tied with NC State. But they aren't getting the invite so this isn't even worth talking about.

If I am the XII realistically I'm adding BYU, Cincinnati, Connecticut, and Memphis. It makes the most sense geographically and sports competition wise. The only way Houston gets in (and it would be at the expense of Memphis if they do) is if UT refuses to expand without UH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom