Big 12 Meetings | Page 27 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I enjoy how everyone throws out the proverbial "doesn't matter, they're all rubbish" when referring to the potential expansion candidates.
The second they sign and join the Big 12, whoever they are, they will suddenly become P5 and instantly be viewed as a step above the non-P5. It could be Tulane, Georgia Southern, ECU and FGCU. Doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
culturally- ECU would actually make sense. Also ECU isn't the 5th most popular team in football in the state- probably 2nd or 3rd. Definitely ahead of Duke and Wake, definitely behind UNC, probably tied with NC State. But they aren't getting the invite so this isn't even worth talking about.

If I am the XII realistically I'm adding BYU, Cincinnati, Connecticut, and Memphis. It makes the most sense geographically and sports competition wise. The only way Houston gets in (and it would be at the expense of Memphis if they do) is if UT refuses to expand without UH.
geographically, I think Uconn, Cincy, Temple and USF/UCF makes the most sense.
BYU and Navy as FB only's could be a nice add for 16 FB schools.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
geographically, I think Uconn, Cincy, Temple and USF/UCF makes the most sense.
BYU and Navy as FB only's could be a nice add for 16 FB schools.

They need to decide to face reality. This current push was caused by the ACC coming together and putting and end to the fantasy that FSU and Clemson...maybe GT and Miami, were joining the Big XII. Now there is another fantasy floating...maybe we can get ASU and Colorado. Sure you can...:rolleyes:. But if enough of those idiots believe that lie, they'll be more inclined toward BYU and CSU.

They already made their choice when they added WVU. They need to embrace it and go east, and only east. Three time zones is one too many. I think there's an argument to add 4 schools in the Eastern time zone. UConn, Cinci and choose two more from UCF, USF, ECU and Temple.

Reaction Score
I enjoy how everyone throws out the proverbial "doesn't matter, they're all rubbish" when referring to the potential expansion candidates.
The second they sign and join the Big 12, whoever they are, they will suddenly become P5 and instantly be viewed as a step above the non-P5. It could be Tulane, Georgia Southern, ECU and FGCU. Doesn't matter.
Or Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I don't know this to be the case and I don't know if its even true but its just my opinion that I don't think Texas could care less about playing in Yankee Stadium (or any baseball/non-football venue)

Why don't you just see if you can arrange for UConn and Texas to play a three game college baseball series in Yankee Stadium every other April. We love our baseball but nobody ever thinks to exploit (I mean nurture) that affection.

Reaction Score
Why don't you just see if you can arrange for UConn and Texas to play a three game college baseball series in Yankee Stadium every other April. We love our baseball but nobody ever thinks to exploit (I mean nurture) that affection.
That could be arranged!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Hell, bring OU too.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
NC State football is more popular in state than Carolina football - nevermind ECU.

Reaction Score
Memphis political pull vs Houston's in Big 12 CR...

HOPE4.jpg

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Who knows, if Dunkin Donuts park ever gets finished, maybe some B12 baseball can be played in Hartford!!! I'd be there in a heart beat.

You realize many B12 stadiums are nicer than DD?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really? They have $65m baseball fields? (no sarcasm)
Their 65m probably goes alot farther than ours too.

Correct on both. They don't need $65m for a nicely appointed 5k-7k stadium with a right field that doesn't need a net.

Almost all the SEC, B12 and half the ACC have stadiums as nice as DD.

Reaction Score
I've seen several baseball games at UT's stadium. They have luxury suites and lots of other excellent facilities for fans. They take their baseball very seriously.

Reaction Score
Maybe we should hold off on our judgement until we actually see the inside of DD park.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe we should hold off on our judgement until we actually see the inside of DD park.
While I'm generally a low tax guy and question many civic "investments," I do think DD park holds great potential to revitalize Hartford. Downtown minor league baseball can give a region a center point for community, particularly in the summer when people are also looking for casual ways to be outdoors. The reason this should work better than Bridgeport; because its not independent baseball. Watching Rockies prospects with prospects from out of town is way better than a league of untouchables and 38 year olds.

Reaction Score
While I'm generally a low tax guy and question many civic "investments," I do think DD park holds great potential to revitalize Hartford. Downtown minor league baseball can give a region a center point for community, particularly in the summer when people are also looking for casual ways to be outdoors. The reason this should work better than Bridgeport; because its not independent baseball. Watching Rockies prospects with prospects from out of town is way better than a league of untouchables and 38 year olds.
I disagree... I just don't see Hartford getting jazzed up for minor league ball, especially one that isn't linked to NY or Boston.
I am not as in touch with Hartford so I could be wrong. For me personally, interest in baseball has dropped way off since NY/Boston so that could be influencing my viewpoint as well.

Now, if Uconn played some games there, I think that could be a win/win.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I hope it helps Hartford because I do pull for that city....

I also agree that The Yard Goats need to start playing ball.....went to a Bees game in New Britain and it was pretty awful. The level of play was crap and no one seemed to care about the game. Also, the in between innings things were very low budget. I give them credit for trying but it was pretty bad. Dunno if I'd go back as it was sad to see after the great tradition the Rock Cats had there. I know it's a different ownership and set up but it was not good.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
DD Park, if ever completed, is supposed to be one of the nicest handful of parks in all of the minor leagues. I'd be hard pressed to think many Big XII stadiums will be nicer. However, as of this moment, every last one of them is better because they actually host baseball.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
DD Park, if ever completed, is supposed to be one of the nicest handful of parks in all of the minor leagues. I'd be hard pressed to think many Big XII stadiums will be nicer. However, as of this moment, every last one of them is better because they actually host baseball.
image.jpeg

Daddy?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You are a monster for using this avatar lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99