Big 12 Meetings | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've said this before, but if you're writing an article about Big 12 expansion at this point and you don't mention UConn, you're an idiot and aren't worth paying attention to.

I don't care if you want us in, or think it's ridiculous that we're even a consideration. But we're a consideration.

Guy even threw Tulane in there. What a joke.
apparently, Memphis plays basketball...

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying but anything that says USF has more athletic value than Cincinnati is preposterous.
There's no way to know what the B12 presidents are looking for but assuming this data is correct, Cincy isn't even on the same playing field as us, USF, BYU and even UCF. Numbers can be deceiving but they don't necessarily lie either.

Reaction Score
There's no way to know what the B12 presidents are looking for but assuming this data is correct, Cincy isn't even on the same playing field as us, USF, BYU and even UCF. Numbers can be deceiving but they don't necessarily lie either.

That source says USF MBB is twice as valuable as Cincinnati.

USF: 596-707 (.457); 3 NCAA tournaments; 3 NIT tournaments
UC: 1717-993 (.634); 30 NCAA tournaments; 2 National Championships; 6 final fours; 10 NIT tournaments

Yes, USF is a much more valuable program in MBB.

Reaction Score
That source says USF MBB is twice as valuable as Cincinnati.

USF: 596-707 (.457); 3 NCAA tournaments; 3 NIT tournaments
UC: 1717-993 (.634); 30 NCAA tournaments; 2 National Championships; 6 final fours; 10 NIT tournaments

Yes, USF is a much more valuable program in MBB.
Again, I'm just assuming the data is put together correctly. I think the WSJ is a reputable enough source. Success on the field (or on the court) does not correlate worth. If Cincy's numbers were way off then I'd like to know what they really are.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I think when you look at their body of work UC is a way better choice and should be selected with us based on that. But the analysis is not based on wins and losses. Its based on how they are handling their money and athletic department. It looks like we are a much safer bet than everyone and that our university officials are fantastic at being stewards of our tax dollars and private donations. UC may have hit it ceiling where UConn and USF can only go up!

“(Ryan) Brewer analyzed each program’s revenues and expenses and made cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections to calculate what a college team would be worth on the open market, if it could be bought and sold like a professional franchise.”

Reaction Score
I think when you look at their body of work UC is a way better choice and should be selected with us based on that. But the analysis is not based on wins and losses. Its based on how they are handling their money and athletic department. It looks like we are a much safer bet than everyone and that our university officials are fantastic at being stewards of our tax dollars and private donations. UC may have hit it ceiling where UConn and USF can only go up!

“(Ryan) Brewer analyzed each program’s revenues and expenses and made cash-flow adjustments, risk assessments and growth projections to calculate what a college team would be worth on the open market, if it could be bought and sold like a professional franchise.”

So he guessed. Cool that explains it.

Reaction Score
...Guns, God, Football...

I'd say God and guns are the idols of a vocal minority that seems to epitomize a sheeplike majority. I think a more accurate assessment of our priorities would be football and food.

We are some food lovin' mofos. We love our barbecue, we love our Tex-Mex, we love our food trucks. On holidays, we love tamales and pecan pie. In the summertime we love watermelon and ice cream.

Food is our god!

We start our days with breakfast tacos or migas. Along about lunchtime, we might go for crispy tacos or enchiladas, or we might opt for chopped beef brisket on a bun. After work, we drink margaritas and eat chips with salsa. At dinner time we might grill a steak or eat fajitas with grilled peppers and onions.

We love food. We eat like nobody else in the world. And we have the obesity to prove it too!

You're going to LOVE away games in Texas!

Reaction Score
I'm still thinking Cincy and Houston are in like flynn. I still maintain UConn is the best candidate (and likely third on the Big 12's list) so I hope they go for four - and honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't. The biggest question is who's the fourth?

BYU raises red flags. (Hell, they'd already be in if they didn't). Memphis is a cut below. UCF/USF are indistinguishably blah.

What do you think about East Carolina?

Reaction Score
I'm still thinking Cincy and Houston are in like flynn. I still maintain UConn is the best candidate (and likely third on the Big 12's list) so I hope they go for four - and honestly, I don't see why they wouldn't. The biggest question is who's the fourth?

BYU raises red flags. (Hell, they'd already be in if they didn't). Memphis is a cut below. UCF/USF are indistinguishably blah.

:rolleyes:

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
So he guessed. Cool that explains it.

Got a better explanation for such a seemingly glaring report on UC? No one is saying your Bearcats shouldn't be in B12... But as the saying goes The numbers hardly ever lie. I hope we are both in for instant rivalry games.

Reaction Score

I don't think the Big 12 is seriously considering ECU. No offense to them or their fans, but they're up against a lot of other candidates who are several steps ahead. My thinking is if they expand by 4, and I think they will/should, BYU, Houston, Cincy, UConn is the strongest combination.

Memphis is getting a lot of mentions for a school that, by every metric, just doesn't stack up for inclusion.

In all honesty, the UCF/USF combo scares me a lot more than any other candidates. No, they're not UF, or FSU, or even Miami, but they give the Big 12 a stake in an important recruiting area, and if you take one, you may as well take the other. Huge alumni base, huge student base, big TV market, etc. So they concern me.

If they were taken out of the equation (and honestly, they're not getting as much love from the media as I thought they would) I like UConn's chances.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the NCAA investigation of USF eliminates them from being part of a matched set with UCF.

Reaction Score
Got a better explanation for such a seemingly glaring report on UC? No one is saying your Bearcats shouldn't be in B12... But as the saying goes The numbers hardly ever lie. I hope we are both in for instant rivalry games.

I think the saying is, "Stats lie." Otherwise known as, "Lies, damned lies, and statistics."

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
No... just the copy/paste guy here. That piece of work is all @huskyarmy.
Actually it was this guy who first posted it (he compiled the data from two separate WSJ articles if you go back thru his timeline)

Reaction Score
Lol...so business has nothing to do with guessing. Great point.

No one who knows anything about business or sports can rightfully "project" USF as a twice as good basketball program as Cincinnati. If you believe that, than more power to you. I just think we get inundated with "stats" like this without anyone questioning methodology. I didn't even touch on football, but USF's football is 3x more valuable Cincinnati and Houston? On what planet? USF with their 7 ever bowl games and 0 BCS bowls and 0 conference championships? A USF booster created this "ratings" system.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

I love the fan comment after the article indicating that our women's BB team would never win a B12 title if we join the conference, as though we couldn't handle the increase in level of competition. That's one of the most hilarious things I've ever read, even though it comes from a clueless UT football fan with no idea that we used to dominate the best women's BB conference in the country when we were in the old Big East.

It does, however, show how little women's athletics are valued in that league and likely in this whole process. Don't expect us to get any consideration for having a national championship winning machine in women's BB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom