Big 12 Meetings | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe that UConn was told that they were in by Tobacco Road and possibly Swofford himself. Just like you said FSU and Clemson took the ACC hostage last minute and flipped the vote. Jurich took the glory but it wasn't his public pandering that made them change their mind.

If you go back to the audio of the Tulane to Big East presser during the time, Aresco and then Tulane president Scott Cowen (UConn football alum) went out of their way not to mention UConn but touted Louisville instead. There was even an awkward pause when Cowen said he played football at C.. err "a big east school."

After the dust settled, there was an article about how Aresco and Swofford are friends and that although the media was reporting that the ACC may take 3 schools Swofford told Aresco that they were only taking one! I can almost guarantee by the way Aresco spoke about the conference during those two weeks touting Louisville and never mentioning UConn that UConn was Swoffords pick.

I spoke to Andy Katz about this at the time and he said I was probably right. He also said that UConn was definitely working behind the scenes and not sitting still.

We have done and are doing everything possible to get out - we're doing it the right way thru back channels. We're still in touch with the ACC and B1G too, so if we go public and say we want to be in the Big 12 and we don't make it (#PrayFor4) how does that help us with the other conferences?

Be patient. We can only worry about things in our control.
Nah, we can only change things in our control, but we can worry about pretty much everything.

Reaction Score
I've said this before, but if you're writing an article about Big 12 expansion at this point and you don't mention UConn, you're an idiot and aren't worth paying attention to.

I don't care if you want us in, or think it's ridiculous that we're even a consideration. But we're a consideration.

Guy even threw Tulane in there. What a joke.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Likely both. Something tells me if he were still there he couldn't help himself but tweeting a few ridiculous things.
"@GregFenves hope u can attend my cello recital "The Yellow Rose of Texas". My carbon fiber cello was gift from @UHPres"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is a medical school attached to a lot of these Big 12 schools, so the school presidents must know that football is one more major concussion study away from becoming boxing. I don't see them going all in on a football-centric expansion strategy.

Reaction Score
There is a medical school attached to a lot of these Big 12 schools, so the school presidents must know that football is one more major concussion study away from becoming boxing. I don't see them going all in on a football-centric expansion strategy.
I WISH this was true. I am just hoping they see the benefit of a new market with eyeballs in a part of the country that produces a lot of athletes. Look at the number of players we have sent to the NFL. Look at our academic ranking that's better than the other candidates. Look at our overall athletic revenue which is more than the other candidates. Look at the overall athletic accomplishments and budget. Hopefully those things are enough to overcome whatever our perceived negatives are.o

It will not be anyone's fault if they take four teams and we don't get picked, but it will be catastrophic to be left behind in what will be a very diminished American Conference.

I can't believe how nerve wracking this seems right now, for something that is so out of anyone's control. It feels like the whole fate of our athletic department is hinging on this.

Reaction Score
I had an actual dream last night that there was a press conference welcoming Cincinnati, UConn, Houston, and Tulane to the Big 12. I need therapy.

"Tell me more... Who else was in your dream?"

20100708Dr.SusanBlock.jpg

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score

Yes. What happens if football is eventually seen as too dangerous? Suddenly college sports becomes basketball, followed distantly by baseball and hockey

Revenge of the nerds ... UConn, Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, UNC, and Kansas will rule the world! And we won't let Florida State, GT, or Clemson into our club.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I had an actual dream last night that there was a press conference welcoming Cincinnati, UConn, Houston, and Tulane to the Big 12. I need therapy.

I had a very vivid dream that we got into the Big XII but can't remember who else was coming with us. Have had waaaay too many UConn football dreams. Pretty pathetic

Reaction Score
Could you please send this to the Big 12 or at least to Mr. Benedict?

C'mon, I know you're not high on Benedict but cripes -- do you really believe the University doesn't have these metrics (and more) memorized and already presented to stakeholders through surrogates/back channel convos (Tranghese)??

This is exactly the types of data points that Navigant and Chris Bevilacqua (and BHv) presented to the Big12.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Could you please send this to the Big 12 or at least to Mr. Benedict?

Why do you think every Big12 reporter suddenly changed their tune on UConn? Undoubtably it is because they are privy to inside sources at their Universities who have seen advanced expansion metrics. Dodds et al suddenly went from "yeah but football has to be the factor" to "UConn is a top candidate" in about 2 months...something changed their minds, most likely it is the metrics.

Bottom line is UConn is a far more attractive university than the uninformed perception of the average B12 fan or media reporter. The fact the Big12 paid consultants (BHV, et...) indicates the metrics will be a major driving force.

As long as Texas politics and emotions don't trump numbers UConn should be fine...UConn just needs this expansion to stay a business decision. The fact UConn is not publicly lobbying or trying to argue the Big12 evaluation criteria should be based on "future potential" or "diversity" or "some benevolent benefactor" or "the best football season last year" says alot.

You do not need to argue to change the rules if you are set up to win the game. Silence has to be a positive.

Reaction Score
Disagree with this. Ever live in Texas (or any of the southern states)? Football has been king for a long time and will be king for as long as we're alive in those places. It is seriously right there with religion and guns as sacrosanct. Guns, God, Football. Whole towns shut down on a Friday night just to watch high school games. Something completely unfathomable to me since a lot of schools in Connecticut were always too small to even entertain having a football team, let alone have an actual real stadium at their schools to accommodate the games and large crowds. Saturdays are for college football and no one wants to do anything but go to the games or sit around all day watching the games on TV. Football is not going away in those places any time soon no matter how many concussions people get.

Reaction Score
What UConn should do right now on the down low, seeing as this is damn near our last chance to go into a major conference, is convince the top 30 odd companies near the Rent to buy a ton of season tickets and offer them to employees at half price as a company pert. I think our historic season ticket sales run at about 21,000 (?), rather pathetic. Greasing the skids to get that number to 28,000 with a public spin saying overwhelming public show of support for P5 membership for this upcoming season. This would be a handy stat to outsiders for our fan support.

yes, a bit underhanded, but RU gave away tons of tickets in there historic Ray Rice era to pack the stadium.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Wouldn't work if they had to show some financials to back it up. Decision will be made before the end of the season. The B12 needs to move quickly, to move on the network quickly, to build up the league and cash checks quickly before the GOR gets any closer to ending. If there were no GOR right now, UT and OU would be gone.

Reaction Score
I'm confident. There, I said it. Consider the following. We check lots of the objective boxes and even some of the subjective ones. We're also not naive enough to believe that Texas (and BIG XII) politics won't determine part of the outcome, as will various petty state jealousies (e.g. schools outside of Texas). Nonetheless, considering the huge impact of the vote and despite all the uncertainty, here's the positive reality. The gods have all aligned to give us the best group of advocates ever assembled in Storrs to make the pitch for UConn. Whatever the outcome, there won't be any doubt this time that sipping pina colada's was the priority. President Herbst is an outstanding leader with tremendous credibility and academic standing. David Benedict is in my view the best equipped AD by background and experience to be our athletic advocate, despite his short tenure. His experience in several P-5 environments, especially the SEC, gives him some added street cred. Our plans for facilities upgrade will help, as will our current coaching staffs who present us with a much brighter image than in the past when the ACC came to call. Consider the ACC jealousy/animus toward Calhoun and the ineptness of our former football coach, plus having to endure the added drawback of being unfairly viewed as the protagonist in the Blumenthal led BigEast lawsuit. None of that is relevant now.

Let me offer you another factor to consider (sorry but it's just the way I think.) Among all the BIG XII Universities there is only one women president, KU's Bernadette Gray-Little. She sits alone among the other nine as the only feminine --and diverse--voice in the room. Now consider this. Among the top eight schools being even slightly considered for selection, four have women presidents: UConn's Susan Herbst, Houston's Renu Khator, Cincinnati's Interim President Beverly Davenport, and USF's Judy Genshaft (who is currently mired in academic scandal). The others, BYU, Memphis, Tulane and UCF all have men at the helm. Thus, in addition to the financial rewards the conference seeks, their need for competitive survival and the necessity of spreading their footprint for greater media exposure; with one important expansion decision the BIG XII can suddenly improve upon a social reality. I'm not saying it will be a driving factor here but it would certainly be cool if UConn and Houston (and perhaps Cincy if the interim title is removed), can transform this formerly male dominated conference into-- voila-- one of instant diversity. Given the current political climate around gender issues, the often stated criticism of an overly machismo environment within the conference-- and the ugly Baylor mess, I guess with Susan at the helm, I really like our chances!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Disagree with this. Ever live in Texas (or any of the southern states)? Football has been king for a long time and will be king for as long as we're alive in those places. It is seriously right there with religion and guns as sacrosanct. Guns, God, Football. Whole towns shut down on a Friday night just to watch high school games. Something completely unfathomable to me since a lot of schools in Connecticut were always too small to even entertain having a football team, let alone have an actual real stadium at their schools to accommodate the games and large crowds. Saturdays are for college football and no one wants to do anything but go to the games or sit around all day watching the games on TV. Football is not going away in those places any time soon no matter how many concussions people get.

Maybe no one cares about teenagers getting permanent brain damage. Maybe they do. You are already seeing it becoming a social faux pas among upper class and upper middle class families in the northeast to let your son play football. Big towns that used to have in-town league are being forced to join up with surrounding towns because participation is down so much. And when people stop playing, they will stop watching.

Reaction Score
Husky Army@thehuskyarmy 37 mins ago
@ UConn haters, we belong in the Big 12...#UConnBig12
View attachment 14595
to say nothing of the imbedded potential value of both men's bball, football, and women's bball within a P5 conference (i.e. those data points are us in the AAC).

Think of what the value would look like within a P5 conference at full conference revenue share by a Final Four women's team, a Final 8 or 16 men's team and a top 30 football ranking!

Reaction Score
C'mon, I know you're not high on Benedict but cripes -- do you really believe the University doesn't have these metrics (and more) memorized and already presented to stakeholders through surrogates/back channel convos (Tranghese)??

This is exactly the types of data points that Navigant and Chris Bevilacqua (and BHv) presented to the Big12.
I never said I disliked him. I believe he is indeed a "home run hire". I just want to be assured that an aggressive approach given all of the positives that can be said about UConn is being utilized.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I never said I disliked him. I believe he is indeed a "home run hire". I just want to be assured that an aggressive approach given all of the positives that can be said about UConn is being utilized.
Sometimes I puzzle over the need for folks on this board to be "assured" the president or AD is doing their job and "being aggressive". Then I remember the general dysfunction under Hogan / Hathaway and I can kind of understand.

Anyway, I don't have insider knowledge or anything, but of course both Manuel and Benedict used / are using all the tools at their disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom