Big 12 Meetings | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with all of that but the last paragraph. He wouldn't have to write a check to the B12. All he has to do is tell Memphis to agree to accept payment from the B12 equal to what they get now from the AAC for 5-10 years. He could then agree to make up some or all of the the difference to the school with annual (tax deductible?) donations. Win-Win-Win.

However, I still think we are more attractive to the B12 than Memphis.

You think FedEx is going to start cutting checks for $20mm/year to UMemphis for the next 10 years?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Also, can't UConn basically say we won't take home any TV money for a period of time (essentially maintain the status quo given the AAC TV deal) but getting our Tier 3 back and increased ticket sales (presumably) would more than make up for that?

Offer to play Texas at Yankee a stadium or giants stadium?

I feel like EVERYTHING has to be on the table.

Reaction Score
You think FedEx is going to start cutting checks for $20mm/year to UMemphis for the next 10 years?

You think "He" refers to "FedEx"? I didn't say anything you just asked me about.

Reaction Score
I agree with all of that but the last paragraph. He wouldn't have to write a check to the B12. All he has to do is tell Memphis to agree to accept payment from the B12 equal to what they get now from the AAC for 5-10 years. He could then agree to make up some or all of the the difference to the school with annual (tax deductible?) donations. Win-Win-Win.

However, I still think we are more attractive to the B12 than Memphis.

Great point.

Reaction Score
Also, can't UConn basically say we won't take home any TV money for a period of time (essentially maintain the status quo given the AAC TV deal) but getting our Tier 3 back and increased ticket sales (presumably) would more than make up for that?

Offer to play Texas at Yankee a stadium or giants stadium?

I feel like EVERYTHING has to be on the table.
I don't know where I'd start, but I would gladly accept the same money we get now from the AAC with our Tier 3 rights so we can contract with SNY, provided that at the beginning of the next contract (or in 10 years) we become a full-fledged member financially.

Reaction Score
I feel as if any reduction should be tied to a re-valuation after 5 years that considers revenue generated for the league and our contribution to overall market reach, content, athletic performance and academic status. There's no reason those metrics can't be measured as they have already paid for the reports that give them a framework for the process. If all teams in the league had to do that we'd probably end up in a pretty good spot in 5 years.

Reaction Score
You think "He" refers to "FedEx"? I didn't say anything you just asked me about.

Oh, so you think Fred Smith is going to cut the checks himself?

And yes, you did. You said "All he has to do is tell Memphis to agree to accept payment from the B12 equal to what they get now from the AAC (this is $2mm) for 5-10 years. He could then agree to make up some or all of the the difference (this is $21mm) to the school with annual (tax deductible?) donations. Win-Win-Win."

Reaction Score

And yes, you did. You said "All he has to do is tell Memphis to agree to accept payment from the B12 equal to what they get now from the AAC (this is $2mm) for 5-10 years. He could then agree to make up some or all of the the difference (this is $21mm) to the school with annual (tax deductible?) donations. Win-Win-Win."

In that hypothetical, based on my original post, I think the "he" is referring to Smith. The idea that Smith could cut Memphis a personal check to offset any difference in funding from a move.

Totally possible, but after thinking about it, not sure how that makes the Big 12 to take Memphis.

Reaction Score

"He" is Fred Smith, not FedEx.
"Could" means an event is possible, not definite.
"Some" means a portion. He could agree to pay all of the difference, or some of it. I have no idea what he'd agree to do.

The poster said the B12 probably wouldn't take money from Fred Smith because of the PR issues. All I said was they don't have to, there's a way around it. I can't believe I have to explain this.

Reaction Score
In that hypothetical, based on my original post, I think the "he" is referring to Smith. The idea that Smith could cut Memphis a personal check to offset any difference in funding from a move.

Totally possible, but after thinking about it, not sure how that makes the Big 12 to take Memphis.
I'm not saying it "makes" them take Memphis, as I said, i still think UConn is more attractive. But it potentially allows Memphis to agree to take a smaller share of what other schools might take. If the stories are true about new teams having to agree to a smaller share, then this would improve their chances.

Reaction Score
"He" is Fred Smith, not FedEx.
"Could" means an event is possible, not definite.
"Some" means a portion. He could agree to pay all of the difference, or some of it. I have no idea what he'd agree to do.

The poster said the B12 probably wouldn't take money from Fred Smith because of the PR issues. All I said was they don't have to, there's a way around it. I can't believe I have to explain this.

You posited this as a realistic possibility. It's not. Yes, you do have to answer for dumb things you post in public forums.

Reaction Score
I work for a firm that is a very large shareholder of FedEx stock (FDX). I can tell you for certain that we are not interested in the company supporting a local college's CR quest. If they want to sponsor a championship game for marketing purposes -- that's fine, but as a public company, all these expenditures will face scrutiny.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Kinda makes me wonder that if the pro rata clause really exists, maybe the Big12 just adds for 4 teams as a way to say you to ESPN and Fox for shooting down their network.

Granted the time will come to renegotiate in the future, but who knows what the landscape will look down the line. The Big12 teams add 4, make them take huge discounts and spread the money around in the interim.

Seems kinda crazy, but man, the Big12 is crazy.
Yes the pro rata clause does exist. It was reconfirmed during the conference call yesterday by Bowlsby and he was asked by Dennis Dodd if they really wanted to possibly agitate ESPN/Fox by making them that large additional sum given the current TV climate. Bowlsby stone cold said "why wouldn't we, a contract is a contract and its mutually binding."

Reaction Score
Yes the pro rata clause does exist. It was reconfirmed during the conference call yesterday by Bowlsby and he was asked by Dennis Dodd if they really wanted to possibly agitate ESPN/Fox by making them that large additional sum given the current TV climate. Bowlsby stone cold said "why wouldn't we, a contract is a contract and its mutually binding."

Absolutely this. Down the road ESPN/FOX will do what they would have done anyway which is seek an agreement that makes economic and business sense in that current environment. And by that time the reality may be that taking 4 teams was the right thing to do anyway. Do what you have to then work to mend fences and build the product.

Reaction Score
You posited this as a realistic possibility. It's not. Yes, you do have to answer for dumb things you post in public forums.

I'm not "answering" for anything. I'm explaining a hypothetical to someone who is always more concerned about being a snarky DB than having an actual conversation. The irony here is, you're wrong. I don't think the scenario is likely, but it's certainly possible.

In 2003 T. Boone Pickens donated $70 million to Oklahoma State. In 2006 he donated $165 million.

I'll help you out here.... $165 + $70= $235 million total donation.

Pickens sets record with $165M Oklahoma State gift

From the article:
"[Pickens] was listed in a tie for 207th on Forbes'
list of the 400 richest Americans last year with a net worth of
$1.5 billion"

Fred Smith is reportedly worth over $3 billion.

So yes, while it may be unlikely, it's possible that someone donates over $200 million to a school because you know, it's happened before.

Now go back to something you're good at, like trolling Cuse fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is that part from the transcript:

Q. Bob, did you address a timeline for when you want to get this done, or Dr. Boren? I didn't hear it. And what level of concern is there for your television partners, that you've gone to them now for $30 million a year for a championship game. They're paying for an ACC network at some point in the future. What money is going to be left without antagonizing those partners to expand?

BOB BOWLSBY: Well, you know we have provisions in our existing contracts that were negotiated along with the 12-year agreements that we made. And those stipulations were put in the contracts in anticipation of the possibility of fluctuations. And not only do they address very specifically the additions of institutions, but they also address the deletion of institutions. So the contract was anticipatory of the change that is present in college athletics, and I have to give a lot of credit to Kevin Sweeney, our counsel, for having the foresight to negotiate these things and have them in their contracts. So we expect to exercise the full prerogatives of what we negotiated.

DAVID BOREN: The provisions, of course, as you know do protect us so that current member shares will not be diluted if we were to add two or four more teams. There's a contractual obligation to pay that additional amount pro rata that we're already receiving if there is an expansion, a hypothetical expansion of the conference. It's already covered in our contracts, does not require additional negotiation of the contracts.

Q. I want to follow up. I understand all that. The question is, I guess, what level of concern is there that you might antagonize those television partners because in eight years this league's going to have to renegotiate a new contract and you're going to the well for a second time, it sounds like, in a few months with them.

BOB BOWLSBY: In both the case of the championship game and in the case of the pro rata adjustments, you know, we're in complete compliance with the contract. And it's a mutually binding contract that we put in place four and a half years ago. So I don't think we have to make apologies for activating around stipulations that we both agreed to.

Reaction Score
Here is that part from the transcript:

Q. Bob, did you address a timeline for when you want to get this done, or Dr. Boren? I didn't hear it. And what level of concern is there for your television partners, that you've gone to them now for $30 million a year for a championship game. They're paying for an ACC network at some point in the future. What money is going to be left without antagonizing those partners to expand?

BOB BOWLSBY: Well, you know we have provisions in our existing contracts that were negotiated along with the 12-year agreements that we made. And those stipulations were put in the contracts in anticipation of the possibility of fluctuations. And not only do they address very specifically the additions of institutions, but they also address the deletion of institutions. So the contract was anticipatory of the change that is present in college athletics, and I have to give a lot of credit to Kevin Sweeney, our counsel, for having the foresight to negotiate these things and have them in their contracts. So we expect to exercise the full prerogatives of what we negotiated.

DAVID BOREN: The provisions, of course, as you know do protect us so that current member shares will not be diluted if we were to add two or four more teams. There's a contractual obligation to pay that additional amount pro rata that we're already receiving if there is an expansion, a hypothetical expansion of the conference. It's already covered in our contracts, does not require additional negotiation of the contracts.

Q. I want to follow up. I understand all that. The question is, I guess, what level of concern is there that you might antagonize those television partners because in eight years this league's going to have to renegotiate a new contract and you're going to the well for a second time, it sounds like, in a few months with them.

BOB BOWLSBY: In both the case of the championship game and in the case of the pro rata adjustments, you know, we're in complete compliance with the contract. And it's a mutually binding contract that we put in place four and a half years ago. So I don't think we have to make apologies for activating around stipulations that we both agreed to.

That tells me that they might as well go to 4 for expansion so as to get the most money they can. Why only pick 2 and leave a boat load of money on the table.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That tells me that they might as well go to 4 for expansion so as to get the most money they can. Why only pick 2 and leave a boat load of money on the table.

That's kind of where I'm at now.

I know people have been saying that per team is the only important measure and what about the next negotiation, but that's a lot of money to leave on the table.

Reaction Score
This was just sent to me by my (connected) buddy at UT. It's from Orangebloods. I'm in a meeting and don't have time to figure it out. But here it is raw.

Pretty much confirmed everything in pinned post. He was told within the last week that the Big XII would vote no on expansion. He was told last night the ACC tv deal changed everything. He said Texas is Houston's biggest opposition to joining the Big XII. He said Texas is more interested in Florida and the NE (he actually specifically mentioned UConn). They have support from other member schools. He said they have presented data to the Big XII showing Uof H and the SEC significantly beat the Big XII in TV ratings in Houston. Uof H outrated both Texas and A&M in Houston on TV last year. Houston will present plans to expand their stadium to 60k seats. He said Herman landing the best recruiting class in non-P5 history is actually hurting them with the Big XII right now. He said they have a "date" with the Big XII soon. He said there is a lot of work between getting a date and getting married. He said they will also meet with all of the other P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
I fear that Manuel leaving during this period of actual movement and transition will kill us.

Think about it, we have a new AD who has never been a full time Athletic Director before. These guys accumulate contacts over years of working, right now all the prospective ADs are on the phone with the B12 and there's "some guy named Benedict keeps calling, what should I tell him?".
How did Manuel's contacts help UConn? One series with Michigan, maybe., and that was to showcase himself for his future position. I prefer someone who is proactive rather than a monitor.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
How did Manuel's contacts help UConn? One series with Michigan, maybe., and that was to showcase himself for his future position. I prefer someone who is proactive rather than a monitor.

You really have nothing to base your negative opinion of Benedict on besides bitterness. Honestly, how do you think this works? Benedict gives Bowlsby one phone call and we're in?

Reaction Score
Warde Manuel left the Athletic Department immeasurably better than when he found it. And it might not have been as attractive a job to Benedict were it not for the improvements made by Manuel.

The belief that he is the reason we are where we are is based on nothing but people's need to find someone to blame.

Reaction Score
Look I hear what your saying here but outside of physically picking up our school and moving it closer AND turning back time and improving our football program, I can't see why you'd blame them if we get passed over. This isn't the ACC or the B1G where we'd be a natural geographic fit and our basketball teams matter. It's the Big 12 and without a network it's going to take one hell of a sales pitch for us to be chosen.

I really dread this announcement as I know two AAC schools will likely get chosen and then we're really screwed. if they chose Memphis I just may say f it and move on from college sports. I can't swallow the idea that that POS school gets to move up while accomplishing nothing, and I mean NOTHING!

I just hope it'll be 4 schools or else we're screwed. Howevet, I can't sit here and honestly think it'll be solely Benedict or Herbsts fault if we're pass over
I won't blame them if we don't get chosen. It's a hell of a task for them, and I think we all recognize that. And we're a long shot, especially if they're only expanding by two schools.

UConn's "they know who we are and what we bring" attitude is commendable in a lot of ways. We haven't come across as desperate like the Florida schools and (especially) Cincy has. But maybe we could make a *little* noise before the selections are announced? Just so when we do get kicked in the nuts, we can at least point to some public effort that was made?

The billboards and ads in Texas newspapers were great, more of that please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom