Big 12 Meetings | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't. I know Mr. Manuel arrived at a really bad time, but I just feel that he could have done better before leaving UConn in the dust.

Did you get that feeling before your ROI on Manuel's phone log or after? How do you even know (or anyone know) what Manuel did behind the scenes? He was so bad Michigan figured "What the hell, let's give Warde a shot. Nothing to lose" :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Did you get that feeling before your ROI on Manuel's phone log or after? How do you even know (or anyone know) what Manuel did behind the scenes? He was so bad Michigan figured "What the hell, let's give Warde a shot. Nothing to lose" :rolleyes:
This is always my thought when people bash Warde. He was so bad that a top 5 athletic program wanted him at the helm.

Reaction Score
So does the "why would ESPN pay more for schools they're already getting for cheap" argument actually hold any water? Assuming, of course, that ESPN would be the network that the Big 12 tries to get a network out of? Never heard a good counter-argument.

Seems to make sense. Why would ESPN pay more for schools when they already own their content?

Reaction Score
So does the "why would ESPN pay more for schools they're already getting for cheap" argument actually hold any water? Assuming, of course, that ESPN would be the network that the Big 12 tries to get a network out of? Never heard a good counter-argument.

Seems to make sense. Why would ESPN pay more for schools when they already own their content?
Because, it seems, they are contractually obligated to.

Reaction Score

They've done it for other schools.

Reaction Score

because for the first two schools added they have no choice thanks to the pro rata clause in the contract after that they would have to negotiate

Reaction Score
because for the first two schools added they have no choice thanks to the pro rata clause in the contract after that they would have to negotiate

According to Boren, they get a pro-rata increase for two or four. It is in the contract and it doesn't require additional negotiation.

DAVID BOREN: The provisions, of course, as you know do protect us so that current member shares will not be diluted if we were to add two or four more teams. There's a contractual obligation to pay that additional amount pro rata that we're already receiving if there is an expansion, a hypothetical expansion of the conference. It's already covered in our contracts, does not require additional negotiation of the contracts.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

1) because they are contractually obligated to

2) the argument could be made for UConn basketball, being a name brand, that there is synergistic increase in value since a games vs better competition and more valuable properties than the AAC offers will bring more eye balls. To a lesser extent UConn football should carry some additional weight playing vs better teams based on brand recognition, our market, and our ratings vs marquee teams.

Reaction Score
According to Boren, they get a pro-rata increase for two or four. It is in the contract and it doesn't require additional negotiation.

DAVID BOREN: The provisions, of course, as you know do protect us so that current member shares will not be diluted if we were to add two or four more teams. There's a contractual obligation to pay that additional amount pro rata that we're already receiving if there is an expansion, a hypothetical expansion of the conference. It's already covered in our contracts, does not require additional negotiation of the contracts.

even better, I only heard two but that makes sense because that contract was done when they had twelve members

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Yes, we have horses and cows and barns. ;)
I don't know man "Big 12 culture" is a criteria. Storrs is a place that a Big 12 alum would feel comfortable visiting.

Reaction Score
Go Ralph G0!

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP 2 hours ago
Colorado State Houston Cincinnati UConn There you go. That's my guess for the Big 12.

Joe Dapper@JoeDapps 1 hour ago
@ralphDrussoAP@AP_Top25 Good luck getting the Texas B12 schools to agree to travel to Connecticut for all sports. Not happening.

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP39 mins ago
UConn's got academics. Big alumni base. State support. Gets a foot into a big new market.
We have extremely limited samples of shools entering conferences for and individual sport. How do we know UConn can't enter for Football and Mens/Womens basketball

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Another geography major...

FootballScoop Staff@FootballScoop 42 mins ago
Our resident Big 12 expert @zach_barnett provides the definitive ranking of the Big 12 expansion candidates

A definitive, realistic, blunt and sure-to-enrage ranking of the Big 12 expansion candidates - FootballScoop
"How many doors in Queens do you have to knock on until you find someone interested in UComn football"?

Well if the B12 presidents are going to make their decisions based in hypotheticals like that and what they feel UConn's popularity is in the NE based purely on perception and gut instincts, then we are .

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Interesting that Dodd has us at #2. I could be totally wrong but he's been kind of low on us during the process.

I'll tell you what, in NYC I would say I see the most Cuse gear (as much as it pains me) but believe it or not then I see UConn, ND, Penn State, Michigan on a level below Cuse. I never see any Rutgers gear lol.

I moved to Hoboken, NJ (literally right across the Hudson from NYC for those unaware) 18 months ago. There isn't a day that I don't see someone in a UConn shirt or a car with a UConn sticker parked on the street. TONS of alumni.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Dodd has us at #2. I could be totally wrong but he's been kind of low on us during the process.

I'll tell you what, in NYC I would say I see the most Cuse gear (as much as it pains me) but believe it or not then I see UConn, ND, Penn State, Michigan on a level below Cuse. I never see any Rutgers gear lol.
Interesting enough..a guy I work with grew up in Bed Stuy/Crown Heights off of Eastern Parkway...just moved form there about 5 months ago..he said in that part of Brooklyn UConn gear is #1 for college gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom