Big 12 Meetings | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The truth is if 4 teams are selected and UConn is not one of them, we better hope the ACC is forcing Notre Dame full time and will add us for 16. Otherwise we are absolutely screwed.

If 4 G5 teams are picked that are not UConn, don't kid yourselves, that will be the death knell of UConn as a nationally-relevant athletics program.

It will have been a good 25-year run.

Reaction Score
Not to be a buzzkill. You guys realize that UConn does not fit the B12 WHATSOEVER geographically. I know we do this already in the AAC, but it's because the AAC is a series of leftovers. If the B12 took BYU/UCF and Cinci I would not be surprised.

I hate the AAC probably more than anyone here, living in Boston and being ridiculed about our position. Nobody wants to be in it, I know, and I'd take the Big 12 in one second. But when these pundits tweet about candidates, go into it with a clear head, it's not absolutely insane what they are saying.

Except they're not actually saying anything of value. They're reeling off a list of largely inferior product and leaving us out. It's lazy, inaccurate and biased. If you feel those schools are of equal or greater value then why are you here?

Reaction Score
If 4 G5 teams are picked that are not UConn, don't kid yourselves, that will be the death knell of UConn as a nationally-relevant athletics program.

It will have been a good 25-year run.

The AAC better grab some basketball schools if we end up getting screwed. Add URI, VCU, Dayton, etc.

Reaction Score
Except they're not actually saying anything of value. They're reeling off a list of largely inferior product and leaving us out. It's lazy, inaccurate and biased. If you feel those schools are of equal or greater value then why are you here?

He limits his profile so we can't read his past posts. Always a warning sign for me . What's there to hide? A pattern perhaps?

Reaction Score
Benedict statement on Big 12 vote per Courant-

"Conference realignment has been an issue and a reality of intercollegiate athletics for decades and there is no reason to believe that it won't continue," UConn athletic director David Benedict said. "The Big 12's decision to continue to explore further expansion this afternoon is evidence of that.

"UConn will continue to invest, support and build upon our rich history of success so that we will continue to be a national leader in college athletics as the landscape evolves, changes and re-invents itself.

"I am very proud of the success that UConn has achieved over the years in terms of national championships, conference championships and NCAA tournament appearances. We have a record that any school in any league would envy."

UConn's Chances To Join Power Five Improve As Big 12 Votes To Pursue Expansion

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This board will be absolutely stupendous for the next months. I heard Benedict is monitoring the situation
I'd say decent shape.

Great shape would be if they change their roman numerals to XIV.

Reaction Score
Benedict statement on Big 12 vote per Courant-

"Conference realignment has been an issue and a reality of intercollegiate athletics for decades and there is no reason to believe that it won't continue," UConn athletic director David Benedict said. "The Big 12's decision to continue to explore further expansion this afternoon is evidence of that.

"UConn will continue to invest, support and build upon our rich history of success so that we will continue to be a national leader in college athletics as the landscape evolves, changes and re-invents itself.

"I am very proud of the success that UConn has achieved over the years in terms of national championships, conference championships and NCAA tournament appearances. We have a record that any school in any league would envy."

UConn's Chances To Join Power Five Improve As Big 12 Votes To Pursue Expansion
"Money talks, bs runs a marathon" Nino Brown, New Jack City. Houston, Cincy, Memphis can run their mouths on how worthy they are, but the investment UConn has made in its athletic department, particularly the last three hires speaks volumes on where those in the know feel this school is going. After all this noise, its still hard to look at how UConn has acted and not think they have an option. Either I am negligent or some people made very questionable career choices and other others wasted an inexcusable amount of tax payers money.

Reaction Score
Go Ralph G0!

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP 2 hours ago
Colorado State Houston Cincinnati UConn There you go. That's my guess for the Big 12.

Joe Dapper@JoeDapps 1 hour ago
@ralphDrussoAP@AP_Top25 Good luck getting the Texas B12 schools to agree to travel to Connecticut for all sports. Not happening.

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP39 mins ago
UConn's got academics. Big alumni base. State support. Gets a foot into a big new market.

Reaction Score
If we don't get in to Big 12 we need to go to the Big East and move the Football program to wherever

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
My take is a little different- yes we want to be invited and yes we go. I look at expansion as a way for the 10 schools to get more of the action from the new schools. What if they offer $10 M a year as opposed to the $30M? That's $2 m a school more and if they add 4 - that is $8 M more for each original school. The cache sounds good, the money not so much.

My fear is that a Memphis, or Houston offer a sweatheart deal to the Big 12 in order to undercut the offer and get in the game. I am not sure one can trust this conference the way the act and think. This process could make sleaze have a new picture next to it.

Reaction Score
That is a big deal. If geography is off the table, UConn is in great shape.
Geography is never off the table. Much as I think it's kind of irrelevant after....you know....the Wright brothers invented planes.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
He limits his profile so we can't read his past posts. Always a warning sign for me . What's there to hide? A pattern perhaps?

Nothing to hide, maybe that I don't have my head up my ass and see the college landscape differently. It's an absolute waste of time trying to have a devil's advocate opinion here and I commend those who do so.

We are tucked up in New England, 90 miles from Boston. A large portion of B12 fans have never even been to New York in their lives let alone New England. They don't follow Connecticut sports and know nothing about the area. Some of these pundits are in that category, and also only care about football. So yes, that's why some aren't mentioning us. Yes it's infuriating, but its not insane.

In reality who cares what they think, the B12 has the numbers and will make an informed decision

Reaction Score
Go Ralph G0!

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP 2 hours ago
Colorado State Houston Cincinnati UConn There you go. That's my guess for the Big 12.

Joe Dapper@JoeDapps 1 hour ago
@ralphDrussoAP@AP_Top25 Good luck getting the Texas B12 schools to agree to travel to Connecticut for all sports. Not happening.

Ralph D. Russo@ralphDrussoAP39 mins ago
UConn's got academics. Big alumni base. State support. Gets a foot into a big new market.

I can see UConn offering a game in NY/NJ for the first 5 years or so as one of their home games, state contracts be damned.

The Big 12 made it clear that if things are close when it comes to making choices, schools who offer the most, get in the club.

Though I also think they already know who the 2 or 4 schools are, but want to get schools to give as much as possible.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I fear that Manuel leaving during this period of actual movement and transition will kill us.

Think about it, we have a new AD who has never been a full time Athletic Director before. These guys accumulate contacts over years of working, right now all the prospective ADs are on the phone with the B12 and there's "some guy named Benedict keeps calling, what should I tell him?".

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Nothing to hide, maybe that I don't have my head up my ass and see the college landscape differently. It's an absolute waste of time trying to have a devil's advocate opinion here and I commend those who do so.

We are tucked up in New England, 90 miles from Boston. A large portion of B12 fans have never even been to New York in their lives let alone New England. They don't follow Connecticut sports and know nothing about the area. Some of these pundits are in that category, and also only care about football. So yes, that's why some aren't mentioning us. Yes it's infuriating, but its not insane.

In reality who cares what they think, the B12 has the numbers and will make an informed decision
I think this characterization of *some* B12 fans perceptions is right. If folks want to engage tee shirt fans who have only ventured outside whatever counties Lubbock or Stillwater are in like twice in their life, have at it. Some national writers are almost as ignorant about UConn, which is maybe more annoying but again, have at it. (I would say that Berry Tramel was always high on UConn and even Kirk Bohls has come around a bit lately).

But the perceptions that count are David Boren's and a handful of other guys who have been getting presentations from Navigate and BHV... And you can be confident those people have been in touch with UConn people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom