BG Breaks Wrist? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

BG Breaks Wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You just made a lot of us feel old . . . drinking age in CT changed from 18 to 21 in stages from 1982 - 1985.

I was able to legally drink all four years of college. Not that I ever did, of course;)

What college coach allows you to drink AT ALL? Are you kidding me? Does Geno allow his players to drink? I assume that this would be a team rule..

Maybe I AM that much out of touch if current college coaches allow their players to drink liquor.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If a college coach does not have the right to state that you cannot drink liquor then I guess that they do not have you the right to tell you not to ride a skateboard. I surrender. Drink liquor AND skateboard at the same time, for goodness sake. What's the worst that could happen?

Reaction Score
If a college coach does not have the right to state that you cannot drink liquor then I guess that they do not have you the right to tell you not to ride a skateboard. I surrender. Drink liquor AND skateboard at the same time, for goodness sake. What's the worst that could happen?
A couple weeks ago, I saw Brittney on her longboard while juggling two running chainsaws and a bowling ball!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A couple weeks ago, I saw Brittney on her longboard while juggling two running chainsaws and a bowling ball!

LOL Now that is the type of humor I can appreciate.

Bestiarius, I am not sure what that says about you with others here that I think you are funny.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Why couldn't team members drink in the offseason if they are 21? I understand during the season, but going out and having a few beers with friends is completely normal, and one of the joys of growing up.

Obviously, getting drunk near campus where students can see you is not a good idea in the age of smart phones and Facebook, but I can't imagine the coaches can regulate what a junior or senior does with her weekends when not in season.

JS

Reaction Score
So she took the basket of hand grenades off her head? Must've been getting too complicated.

When my college coach "caught" me playing tennis in my off hours, he asked me to cut it out. There was certainly the risk of pulling a muscle, twisting an ankle or knee or whatever. Beyond that, tennis developed all the lateral and backward movement and quick stopping muscles that weren't useful in my event (sprinting) and thus were considered undesirable to develop.

It never even occurred to me to resent his request. Instead I felt a little sheepish about violating team policy by messing in non-approved sports during the season. The man felt like a father to me. I thought he had the team's best interest at heart and wanted me for my own sake to make the biggest contribution I could.

So I confined myself to approved other sports. IIRC, relaxed swimming was OK, and I became a pool shark and table tennis hustler.

Now I walk the dog through the town forest. I don't think ol' Pete Morgan would object.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Why couldn't team members drink in the offseason if they are 21? I understand during the season, but going out and having a few beers with friends is completely normal, and one of the joys of growing up.

Obviously, getting drunk near campus where students can see you is not a good idea in the age of smart phones and Facebook, but I can't imagine the coaches can regulate what a junior or senior does with her weekends when not in season.

I'll defer to Icebear on this one. He has a better moral compass than I do.

As for Baylor, drinking liquor does violate the code of conduct. Not sure about UCONN or other universities.

Smoking pot is legal in Denver with a medical license. If a player hurts his or her wrist and gets a medical marijuana license does that make it ok for a student athlete? It IS legal in Denver.

Reaction Score
What college coach allows you to drink AT ALL? Are you kidding me? Does Geno allow his players to drink? I assume that this would be a team rule..

Maybe I AM that much out of touch if current college coaches allow their players to drink liquor.

Just to clarify, I was talking about a time - 30 years ago - when drinking was legal for 18-20 year olds.

So was driving without seatbelts, kids not wearing bike helmets, and smoking in schools, planes, restaurants, etc.

And yes, coaches didn't all ban alcohol 24/7 because we could LEGALLY drink. Of course today is different b/c the LAW has changed.

Reaction Score
So she took the basket of hand grenades off her head? Must've been getting too complicated.

When my college coach "caught" me playing tennis in my off hours, he asked me to cut it out.
I didn't play tennis in college, but I did frequently raise a racket.

Reaction Score
Yes. UConn players are allowed to drink and definitely do. An Italian immigrant is not going to have an issue with drinking like a Baptist or Nazarene. And in my experience that is the norm for student-athletes at nearly every university with the exceptions largely being religious institutions that forbid it for the entire student body.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes. UConn players are allowed to drink and definitely do. An Italian immigrant is not going to have an issue with drinking like a Baptist or Nazarene. And in my experience that is the norm for student-athletes at nearly every university with the exceptions largely being religious institutions that forbid it for the entire student body.

Good to know. I was not aware that Geno did not have a "no liquor" policy. In that case I can see how many would think that my stance was too stringent.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
This is why I used the phrase "slippery slope."

Your hyperbole demonstrates you have clearly missed the points I was trying to make, by conflating them together as the basis for your response.
give up if you didnt already (Im on page 2 of a 6pg thread)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno allows sledding. Stef brought two or three sleds from home for the team to use.
and its "during the season"... BG was having fun "off-season"

grizz36

Misabe Mukwa
Reaction Score
Yes, Geno allows sledding. Stef brought two or three sleds from home for the team to use.

And, if you think longboarding in a parking garage is dangerous, try sledding on some of those hills around Port Jervis!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And, if you think longboarding in a parking garage is dangerous, try sledding on some of those hills around Port Jervis!
Absolutely! Stef comes from an area with great hills and steep mountains for sledding.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Having checked through about 12 versions of basically the same account of the accident which provide little in details, since unsurprisingly the Bears have to be a little sheepish about how they handled the previous PR on Griner's skateboarding now that the not-unusual broken bone(s) fate has occurred, there are few probabilities:
  • With 50,000 conservatively reported ER incidents nationally a year from skate\longboarding activities, it is not necessarily a thing you want to encourage for your championship team's nucleus player, especially because as one boarder grieving for a permanently fallen skate mate noted, "The heights have become higher." And when you're 6'8", the fall can be even bigger. Will BYers be urging Husky ball players to just go out and have fun with an activity like skateboarding? I'm guessing not. I'd really feel more comfortable with KML just risking a sprained thumb playing tiddly winks, but in any case, I assume the Huskies are smart enough to pick challenging recreational activities that have far less potential and well-publicized risk than stunting on skateboards. No, even without ludicrous analogies to break dancing on broken glass at Chez Panisse, we can never be absolutely sure that anything we do won't kill us. But hey, as KM noted from a previous near catastrophe for BG on the board, "At least it showed her athleticism" to avoid a big injury by leaping off the board. I guess the attitude is, "Once lucky, always lucky."
  • This may be a big assumption, but since none of the earlier pics or videos show Griner wearing any kind of protective gear and the info from Baylor did not claim that she was wearing any (which the college assuredly would have done if she had suddenly switched to padding up), I think it's safe to say that Griner was not wearing a pad on the right wrist she broke. I run by a skating court every day and year round there are probably 20 kids in it, all of whom eschew the pads despite all the signs prohibiting unprotected skating. It's a badge of stupid honor to do the tricks without pads, and I have seen a number of kids helped out of the court in bad shape. Probably Griner will continue to long board after college, but maybe she could use her fame to help make wearing the pads cool instead of promoting the unencumbered style.
  • It's all in hindsight now though it should have been in foresight, but as ETT said, there is a commonsense factor that we must all apply to our activities. Griner may have more passion than sense about these things, and if she's willing to live with the likelihood of recurrent injury to the wrist as she battles on the boards in college and the pros, the perceptible hit to her team's chance for a repeat NC, and potential loss of some money in the pros if the injury to a vital spot is a long term factor, there's really nothing anyone can do to stop her. Basketball comes with a big risk of injury, and for some players that's the world of recreational sport also.
Time to break for my normal rope-swinging, sky-diving, glass stomping exercise routine. But at least I know I'm only semi-important to my team.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Maybe if a university student engages in risky activities they should agree to pay for their tuition fees for the year.

Can you define risky activities? I broke my ankle stepping out of a stationary golf cart. I broke a finger helping a friend move a couch. I broke my big toe walking past a shipyard construction site when a safety cap from an acetylene bottle fell on it. None of those are especially risky and those are the only broken bones I've had.

The point is - life has risks and you can't bubble wrap a kid just because they're a scholarship athlete.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Can you define risky activities? I broke my ankle stepping out of a stationary golf cart. I broke a finger helping a friend move a couch. I broke my big toe walking past a shipyard construction site when a safety cap from an acetylene bottle fell on it. None of those are especially risky and those are the only broken bones I've had.

The point is - life has risks and you can't bubble wrap a kid just because they're a scholarship athlete.

That's no argument. Accidents happen everywhere -- even in low risk activities. The point is that accidents are more likely to occur in some activities -- like long boarding. I'm not arguing that she should or should not be allowed to or discouraged from long boarding, I'm just saying your argument doesn't hold water as a reason that she should be allowed to do whatever she wants. Because if you take the risk factor out of the equation, then she should also be allowed to walk blindfolded in traffic, go bull riding at the rodeo, play Russian Roulette. If, however, you do feel those activities are appropriate, then your argument stands.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That's no argument. Accidents happen everywhere -- even in low risk activities. The point is that accidents are more likely to occur in some activities -- like long boarding. I'm not arguing that she should or should not be allowed to or discouraged from long boarding, I'm just saying your argument doesn't hold water as a reason that she should be allowed to do whatever she wants. Because if you take the risk factor out of the equation, then she should also be allowed to walk blindfolded in traffic, go bull riding at the rodeo, play Russian Roulette. If, however, you do feel those activities are appropriate, then your argument stands.

Exactly. That was my point with the ridiculous parachute comment. There IS a point at which a coach has the right to say "you can't do that."

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Exactly. That was my point with the ridiculous parachute comment. There IS a point at which a coach has the right to say "you can't do that."

Believe me, you made your point LONG ago. Wait, don't I hear Kim calling you??

JS

Reaction Score
Are you a 6-8 recruit? If so, she is calling AND texting.
She needs a temp for the long long-boarders' team.

This thread seems exhausted. Some think that's a much belated conclusion.

Thanks to all for a thorough . . . ah . . . mastication of the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom