BG Breaks Wrist? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BG Breaks Wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Once again, where did anyone state that we want to regulate "every aspect" of someone's life? There are activities that are high risk that, IMO, a coach has every right to ask a player not to participate in. If guess if BG were to come to you and say that she wanted to jump off of a building with homemade parachute that you would say, "let me know how that works out for you. It's your life and I have no right to tell you that you can't do that."

While I appreciate ett's unwillingness to understand the basic point that a college has limited power to enforce their rules on a student, much less student athlete, even I have a hard time comprehending the link between longboarding and homemade parachutes.

Seems to me Kim has every "right" to say "don't skateboard" just like BG has every "right" to say "you don't own me, I want to skateboard." What happens next? BG sits out a game? Loses playing time? Loses her scholarship?

If Baylor wants to include certain restrictions on athletes in their scholarships, they need to talk to the legal department.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that if Kim knew about it and allowed her to do it, then case closed. She will probably change the policy now, but in the past she clearly knew the risks and allowed BG to go ahead.

I agree. And I questioned Kim's decision at the time. Can you imagine how much criticism Kim would have endured had this happened DURING the championship run and prevented Baylor from winning a championship? She would have been crucified for not putting an end to this activity and costing her team a national championship.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
While I appreciate ett's unwillingness to understand the basic point that a college has limited power to enforce their rules on a student, much less student athlete, even I have a hard time comprehending the link between longboarding and homemade parachutes.

Seems to me Kim has every "right" to say "don't skateboard" just like BG has every "right" to say "you don't own me, I want to skateboard." What happens next? BG sits out a game? Loses playing time? Loses her scholarship?

If Baylor wants to include certain restrictions on athletes in their scholarships, they need to talk to the legal department.

My point was to show how ridiculous the argument is that you don't have the right to intervene when a student-athlete is participating in an activity that is known to have a high risk of injury. The parachute comment was meant to be ridiculous.

Like I said, if this had happened during the NCAA tournament almost EVERYONE would be ripping Kim a new one for allowing BG to put herself at risk and costing the team a chance at a national championship. The timing is very fortunate.

Reaction Score
Ya know - a whole basketball team died this past year taking an airplane ride. Last I checked, dying is more terminal than breaking a wrist.
Further, in spite of what many around here seem to believe (with all sorts of different team loyalties), NONE of these young women are our personal entertainment centers.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Ya know - a whole basketball team died this past year taking an airplane ride. Last I checked, dying is more terminal than breaking a wrist.
Further, in spite of what many around here seem to believe (with all sorts of different team loyalties), NONE of these young women are our personal entertainment centers.

Once again, another ridiculous comparison...a required activity. You are going to have to do a little better than that.

I don't remember the story. Which entire basketball team died last year?

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
ETT - Caroline Doty rides a moped around the Uconn campus. Would you ban that as well? I'm sure I could come up with some stats proving that moped riding is a high risk activity.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I am using your argument as a whole. You cannot pick which portions of your argument that you want me to use. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

You clearly are not using my argument as a whole. You have conflated separate points and made them into a purported argument that I never made. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

I have spelled things out for you. I numbered points. I thoroughly explained it (in relatively easy terms). If you cannot or choose not to understand those points, that is your problem/decision.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I bet she will see a need now. I would love to know how Geno would react to Stewart longboarding around campus.
Probably the same way he let Caroline play soccer her Sr. year of high school.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Had BG been chosen for the Olympics would Geno have been within his rights to tell BG to stay off the skateboard? Just curious what the opinion is on that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Caroline was not attending the university at that time, was she?
No, but she asked him if it was OK and he said go for it and it led to her first ACL. He has said he would say the same thing again.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You clearly are not using my argument as a whole. You have conflated separate points and made them into a purported argument that I never made. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

I have spelled things out for you. I numbered points. I thoroughly explained it (in relatively easy terms). If you cannot or choose not to understand those points, that is your problem/decision.

We just disagree. I contend that a coach DOES have a right to instruct a player not to participate in high risk activities that would put the player at risk of not being able to fulfill their commitment to the university.

Who ever thought I would see the day that Kim was so ardently defended here...LOL. And the UNC incident make Hatchell the new wicked witch of the south. :cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
No, but she asked him if it was OK and he said go for it and it led to her first ACL. He has said he would say the same thing again.

And didn't she end up tearing an ACL playing soccer?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes, see Geno's comments in the previous post.

Probably not the best example to use for this argument.

I want Kim to use this as an opportunity to have an adult conversation with BG about how others depend on her and that she does have a responsibility that extends beyond herself. Her teammates have put in years and years of hard work to get where they are and are depending on her, just as she depends on them. Yes, she is still in college, but she is now a 21 year old adult, and with being an adult comes adult responsibility. Just because you are in college does not mean that you are void of responsibility to others.

Reaction Score
The Connecticut State Legislature is currently enacting legislation (before next February) that would prevent any female over 6' 7" tall from playing basketball in the state of Connecticut. They have found, because of the laws of gravity, the acceleration (32 feet per second) from a fall from that height would be too dangerous to allow. Sorry Brittney, but we're only concerned for your health.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So is the argument that a coach does not have the right to develop and enforce team rules that apply to the players but not to the rest of the students, such as curfew? How dare Kim tell BG when it is time to be in her room!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Connecticut State Legislature is currently enacting legislation (before next February) that would prevent any female over 6' 7" tall from playing basketball in the state of Connecticut. They have found, because of the laws of gravity, the acceleration (32 feet per second) from a fall from that height would be too dangerous to allow. Sorry Brittney, but we're only concerned for your health.

LOL. A little bit of humor is ways good to see.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT - Caroline Doty rides a moped around the Uconn campus. Would you ban that as well? I'm sure I could come up with some stats proving that moped riding is a high risk activity.

If Geno wanted to do that he would probably be met with full support.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
The problem is that everyone is talking in absolutes and enjoying the argument too much. Both sides here have valid points.

(BTW, the acceleration of gravity is actually 32 ft per second squared, as in per second per second. I had to make that comment out or respect to my high school physics teacher Terry Rebe.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Back to what may be a bigger question is the one that I asked earlier. Is a coach within his/her rights to have team rules that go beyond the rules of the university or the NCAA rules? It seems as if the case has been presented, especially by CamrnCrz1974, that the coach should not be allowed to do this as it may impede on the rights of the student-athlete, so I will defer to him/her for an opinion on the legality of this.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I am still interested in knowing which entire basketball team died in a plane crash last year. I know that the OSU coach and an assistant died, in addition to the pilot and his wife, but I am not aware of any players being killed last year. Maybe I missed the biggest story of the year...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
One more story about a local girl and then I'm done with this thread.

From Wiki:

"(Reilly) Rankin was a three-time American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) Rolex All-American from 1995 to 1997. She was a three-time All-American at the University of Georgia where she was the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Freshman of the Year in 1997, the NCAA Freshman of the Year in 1998, and the 1997–98 SEC Player of the Year. She won four consecutive collegiate tournaments in 1998, the same year she was a semifinalist at the Women's Western Amateur. She was forced to take two years off from competition in 1999 and 2000 after breaking her back but came back in 2001 to lead Georgia to the NCAA Championship. She graduated from Georgia in 2001 with a degree in Child and Family Development."

Rankin broke her back when she and some friends went to an Athens swimming hole that has been frequented by UG students forever. She fell off a rope swing. Swimming was not banned by the Georgia golf coach.

I think the point Cam and others have tried to make is that accidents happen. You cannot legislate the risk out of everyone's life. If I was in your shoes I'd be very grateful BG's injury was a broken wrist and not something much more serious.

And finally, for a happy ending, Reilly Rankin now plays on the LPGA Tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom