BG Breaks Wrist? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

BG Breaks Wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
One more story about a local girl and then I'm done with this thread.

From Wiki:

"(Reilly) Rankin was a three-time American Junior Golf Association (AJGA) Rolex All-American from 1995 to 1997. She was a three-time All-American at the University of Georgia where she was the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Freshman of the Year in 1997, the NCAA Freshman of the Year in 1998, and the 1997–98 SEC Player of the Year. She won four consecutive collegiate tournaments in 1998, the same year she was a semifinalist at the Women's Western Amateur. She was forced to take two years off from competition in 1999 and 2000 after breaking her back but came back in 2001 to lead Georgia to the NCAA Championship. She graduated from Georgia in 2001 with a degree in Child and Family Development."

Rankin broke her back when she and some friends went to an Athens swimming hole that has been frequented by UG students forever. She fell off a rope swing. Swimming was not banned by the Georgia golf coach.

I think the point Cam and others have tried to make is that accidents happen. You cannot legislate the risk out of everyone's life. If I was in your shoes I'd be very grateful BG's injury was a broken wrist and not something much more serious.

And finally, for a happy ending, Reilly Rankin now plays on the LPGA Tour.

I didn't know that swinging on a rope swing and swimming were the same thing. They sound like two very different activities to me. Sounds like she made a poor decision without the advice of an adult. Something tells me that she doesn't still swing on ropes.

Martina Navratilova grew up skiing but gave it up until her tennis career was over as not to risk injury. That seems to be a more appropriate analogy.

And yes, I am happy that the injury was not more serious. It could have been much worse and if it had been I suspect that Mulkey would be hight ridiculed for allowing BG to continue boarding, which I bet she does not allow going forward.

Reaction Score
I just wasted 5 min of my life reading this ridiculous argument. BG was having fun like any other college kid. What is she supposed to do sit in a bubble until the season starts....sheesh!

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
(BTW, the acceleration of gravity is actually 32 ft per second squared, as in per second per second. I had to make that comment out or respect to my high school physics teacher Terry Rebe.)

If you really respected your physics teacher, you would express it in meters per second squared

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I just wasted 5 min of my life reading this ridiculous argument. BG was having fun like any other college kid. What is she supposed to do sit in a bubble until the season starts....sheesh!

YES...PLEASE!!!!! I have a spare bubble that I can send to Waco.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

It's like a good meal...we spent hours creating it and you ate it in 5 minutes...

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
This is a very amusing thread....it's like two neighboring kids come from another playground, get in a ****ing match, while all the local kids sit around, watch for awhile, and then start egging them on....

Seriously, this is a big playground, and I know everyone is welcome (as long as we all play relatively nicely and within the rules), but SHEESH! How may other boards would let two "other schools" fans go back and forth like this for hours???

And yes, I see Cam's point (almost always do), and I wonder if Kim cares about ETT's wants and desires. Or umbrage.

Hope BG heals well and in time for the season. Hope Caroline enjoys her summer ON HER MOPED!!.

Okay, I've vented.

We return to Cam and ETT's unscheduled programming....

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
If you really respected your physics teacher, you would express it in meters per second squared
You are correct, but I didn't want to add another variable. (sort of) If we were talking foot pounds, however, I'd have converted to newtons.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
You are correct, but I didn't want to add another variable. (sort of) If we were talking foot pounds, however, I'd have converted to newtons.

Fig newtons?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Fig newtons are not as good as chocolate covered graham crackers. There, I said it...let the debate begin.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Martina Navratilova grew up skiing but gave it up until her tennis career was over as not to risk injury. That seems to be a more appropriate analogy.

This is not factually accurate.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This is not factually accurate.

LOL. I have a prized autographed poster of Martina and I followed her career extremely closely and I remember when she discussed her desire to ski again after giving it up for many years. When it comes to Martina trivia I am practically an expert. Now, is that something to brag about? That is debatable.

Please see page 211 of this article in which Martina discusses giving up skiing for many years due to the dangerous nature of the sport. She does discuss skiing again but she admittedly gave up the sport starting in her teenage years.

http://books.google.com/books?id=PAMGKPRxUoYC&pg=RA6-PA211&lpg=RA6-PA211&dq=martina navratilova gave up skiing&source=bl&ots=J9rEke6Pim&sig=avDCtgsodktpyys5odW9hvrZeBo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=md-qT9OQDoS69QSkmOzTAQ&ved=0CFoQ6AEwCTge#v=onepage&q=martina navratilova gave up skiing&f=false

Reaction Score
(BTW, the acceleration of gravity is actually 32 ft per second squared, as in per second per second. I had to make that comment out or respect to my high school physics teacher Terry Rebe.)
I knew that, but it doesn't apply in this case because it doesn't take Brittny more than a second to fall down, so the rest of the formula is not germane. I know too that if she doesn't fall for 1 second, she never achieves the 32 ft per speed. Also, she doesn't fall in a vacuum as is necessary for the formula to work. But, thanks for making sure all "facts" stated on the BY continue to remain 100% true.:D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Back to what may be a bigger question is the one that I asked earlier. Is a coach within his/her rights to have team rules that go beyond the rules of the university or the NCAA rules? It seems as if the case has been presented, especially by CamrnCrz1974, that the coach should not be allowed to do this as it may impede on the rights of the student-athlete, so I will defer to him/her for an opinion on the legality of this.
Cam is correct the answer should be no in all except the most radical cases.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but, I have to ask, does Geno let the WBB team sled/sleigh ride?
I cracked 3 ribs sledding one year. Emergency room workers hate sledding....or love it, because it keeps them busy.
Either way, KM has already signed off on this, there was a story during the tourney that featured BG longboarding around campus. Kids have to be kids.
The only question in my mind is was she wearing protective gear? That would be the caveat to any perceived "risky behavior" that could inflict harm on a student athlete, in my mind.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but, I have to ask, does Geno let the WBB team sled/sleigh ride?
I cracked 3 ribs sledding one year. Emergency room workers hate sledding....or love it, because it keeps them busy.
Either way, KM has already signed off on this, there was a story during the tourney that featured BG longboarding around campus. Kids have to be kids.
The only question in my mind is was she wearing protective gear? That would be the caveat to any perceived "risky behavior" that could inflict harm on a student athlete, in my mind.
Yes, Geno allows sledding. Stef brought two or three sleds from home for the team to use.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
LOL. I have a prized autographed poster of Martina and I followed her career extremely closely and I remember when she discussed her desire to ski again after giving it up for many years. When it comes to Martina trivia I am practically an expert. Now, is that something to brag about? That is debatable.

Please see page 211 of this article in which Martina discusses giving up skiing for many years due to the dangerous nature of the sport. She does discuss skiing again but she admittedly gave up the sport starting in her teenage years.

Interesting, considering in interviews she described skiing trips she made when Nancy Lieberman (then Lieberman-Cline) was her "trainer."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
GOtta love The Boneyard.

A place where a Baylor fan and Duke fan can "duke" it out over something so silly.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well i can see ETT's point IN THAT Griner is the most important player on a team that just won a NC. In a perfect world, fans would probably like to see her wrap soft pillows around her every waking moment to prevent any kind of injury. But the reality, as Cam pointed out, is that these are kids going thru college. they ought to be having fun. they ought to be enjoying themselves doing things that kids like to do.

some of that stuff is benign - playing video games, going to movies, hanging out with friends. some of it is apparently more risky - sports like surfing, skateboarding, skiing, etc etc. Some probably would never be allowed - sky diving, ultimate cage fighting, motor cross, bull fighting, etc...

some things the coaches have control over - like the crab soccer game that Brittany Hunter tore her knee up playing that has subsequently never been played again on First Night. Other things, like Griner's injury, they have no control over.

Reaction Score
As a former collegiate athlete I agree that there are certain activities coaches can regulate. For example, we agreed not to drink within a 48 hour period of an event. We were never given a curfew per se, but our coach did recommend a time we went to bed based on sleep needs and the time we had to get up the next day.

Those restrictions were limited in scope and reasonable for an IMMEDIATE event. We were never forbidden to ride bikes etc.

I am assuming when Griner enters the WNBA she will agree not to engage in certain dangerous activities or else forfeit her payment if injured. I believe Jayson Williams lost out a lot of money after a motorcycle accident after his first years with the Bulls.

Right now we should let her be a 21 year old.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As a former collegiate athlete I agree that there are certain activities coaches can regulate. For example, we agreed not to drink within a 48 hour period of an event. We were never given a curfew per se, but our coach did recommend a time we went to bed based on sleep needs and the time we had to get up the next day.

Those restrictions were limited in scope and reasonable for an IMMEDIATE event. We were never forbidden to ride bikes etc.

I am assuming when Griner enters the WNBA she will agree not to engage in certain dangerous activities or else forfeit her payment if injured. I believe Jayson Williams lost out a lot of money after a motorcycle accident after his first years with the Bulls.

Drink? Drink what, water? At what university does a coach allow you to "drink?" Are you stating that your coach agreed to allow you to drink liquor as long as you didn't drink liquor as long as it was outside of 48 hours of competition? Was this before you were 21? I bet your parents would have been thrilled to learn of this agreement. Where did you go to school and who was your coach?

Reaction Score
Drink? Drink what, water? At what university does a coach allow you to "drink?" Are yous stating that your coach agreed to allow you to drink liquor as long as you didn't drink liquor as long as it was outside of 48 hours of competition? Was this before you were 21? I bet your parents would have been thrilled to learn of this agreement. Where did you go to school and who was your coach?

You just made a lot of us feel old . . . drinking age in CT changed from 18 to 21 in stages from 1982 - 1985.

I was able to legally drink all four years of college. Not that I ever did, of course;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Maybe if a university student engages in risky activities they should agree to pay for their tuition fees for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom