BG Breaks Wrist? | The Boneyard

BG Breaks Wrist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It is being reported on Baylorfans.com that BG broke a wrist during a longboarding accident. If true I suspect that KM will pull the plug on this activity going forward.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
can't blame KM for that. how long is the recovery from that? i'm sure she can still work on certain skills, but she won't be able to work on strength training, which would certainly help her heading into her senior year...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I appreciate her freedom to be a kid but she has a responsibility to the university not to put herself at undue risk. This should have been a summer for her to take her game to another level, not nursing an injury. She should still be able to work on her lower body strength but probably will be unable to work on offensive moves.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
can't blame KM for that. how long is the recovery from that? i'm sure she can still work on certain skills, but she won't be able to work on strength training, which would certainly help her heading into her senior year...

Sounds like 4 to 6 weeks with a cast, so if that is the case then she would be working out again by late June. I guess the question now is, which wrist and will it affect her shot?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Good thing she took herself out of consideration for the Olympic team! Otherwise they would be having to find a replacement now...

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I appreciate her freedom to be a kid but she has a responsibility to the university not to put herself at undue risk. This should have been a summer for her to take her game to another level, not nursing an injury. She should still be able to work on her lower body strength but probably will be unable to work on offensive moves.

At what point does the university "own" the player? Sure, you do not want them riding motorcycles. But longboarding? Griner could have broken her wrist falling down stairs. Just because Baylor provides her with a scholarship does not mean they "own" her or have the ability to regulate every single aspect of her life. As long as she complies with NCAA eligibility requirements and the Baylor code of conduct, I do not fault Griner for being a college student/young person and wanting to have fun. So much of her life is regimented between school and basketball as it is. Yes, it is the price the student-athletes pay for their scholarships and free education. But there is a line.

ETA: Had to look up "longboarding," as I thought it was a surfing activity. If it is skateboarding, I can see easttexastrash's concern a bit more readily, but I maintain that the school cannot regulate every activity of the player's life, outside of NCAA requirements and the student code of conduct for the university.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
At what point does the university "own" the player? Sure, you do not want them riding motorcycles. But longboarding? Griner could have broken her wrist falling down stairs. Just because Baylor provides her with a scholarship does not mean they "own" her or have the ability to regulate every single aspect of her life. As long as she complies with NCAA eligibility requirements and the Baylor code of conduct, I do not fault Griner for being a college student/young person and wanting to have fun. So much of her life is regimented between school and basketball as it is. Yes, it is the price the student-athletes pay for their scholarships and free education. But there is a line.

ETA: Had to look up "longboarding," as I thought it was a surfing activity. If it is skateboarding, I can see easttexastrash's concern a bit more readily, but I maintain that the school cannot regulate every activity of the player's life, outside of NCAA requirements and the student code of conduct for the university.

Surely you are not comparing walking up and down stairs, which is typically required throughout the normal process of the day, to skateboarding. That is a bit of a ridiculous comparison to an activity that is known to be high risk. You can still be a kid without participating in high-risk activities. And I made not indication that Mulkey be able to regulate "every single aspect of her life." Let's not get carried away.

It is being reported that the injury occurred in a parking garage. I cannot confirm that, but obviously riding a longboard in a parking garage is not a very mature decision, regardless of age. I would have thought that the near miss with the bus would have been more of a wake-up call than it was.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here's an espn video on BG's longboarding with comments from her teammates and Kim Mulkey. In her comments, Kim understood the risk but didn't see a need to restrict the activity and not allow BG to have some fun.
clip

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7721742

I bet she will see a need now. I would love to know how Geno would react to Stewart longboarding around campus.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Surely you are not comparing walking up and down stairs, which is typically required throughout the normal process of the day, to skateboarding. That is a bit of a ridiculous comparison to an activity that is know to be high risk. You can still be a kid without participating in high-risk activities.

It is being reported that the injury occurred in a parking garage. I cannot confirm that, but obviously riding a longboard in a parking garage is not a very mature decision, regardless of age.

Who is to decide that skateboarding his a high risk activity? If she was wearing protective gear and doing it in a secluded area on a flat surface, how is that high risk? And yes, I made the comparison to stairclimbing, in the sense that injuries happen. Serena Williams stepped on glass while at dinner in a restaurant. Do we prohibit athletes from going in public places?

My point is that you cannot make moral judgments about what constitutes a high risk acitivity as a fan, then chide Griner for not meeting your moral standard. And the university does not "own" her. She is not a professional athlete, who would be required to sign contracts prohibiting them from engaging in those sorts of activities. She is a college kid/young adult, and there are limits about the intrusion into their private lives. A coach cannot regulate every aspect of a player's life. Neither can the university.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who is to decide that skateboarding his a high risk activity? If she was wearing protective gear and doing it in a secluded area on a flat surface, how is that high risk? And yes, I made the comparison to stairclimbing, in the sense that injuries happen. Serena Williams stepped on glass while at dinner in a restaurant. Do we prohibit athletes from going in public places?

My point is that you cannot make moral judgments about what constitutes a high risk acitivity as a fan, then chide Griner for not meeting your moral standard. And the university does not "own" her. She is not a professional athlete, who would be required to sign contracts prohibiting them from engaging in those sorts of activities. She is a college kid/young adult, and there are limits about the intrusion into their private lives. A coach cannot regulate every aspect of a player's life. Neither can the university.

Yes, I am implying that we should lock them in their rooms and not let them go to a restaurant, movies, plays, concerts, etc., because all of those activities are as risky as riding a longboard in a parking garage.

It's Baylor, where making moral judgements is what we do. ;)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Yes, I am implying that we should lock them in their rooms and not let them go to a restaurant, movies, plays, concerts, etc., because all of those activities are as risky as riding a longboard in a parking garage.

I think you are missing my points, as you are combining both of them. I intentionally kept them separate, because they are two distinct points.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think you are missing my points, as you are combining both of them. I intentionally kept them separate, because they are two distinct points.

So far you have provided no comparable activity. Once you provide one that warrants serious consideration I will consider it. Until then it's nothing more than a bunch of over-the-top situations that make zero sense.

Do some research on injuries resulting from stepping on a broken glass in a restaurant and injuries incurred while skateboading and tell me which one has a higher rate of injury. I am just guessing that skateboarding is known to be at high risk for injury, so this has nothing to do with being "moral", it is based on the actual FACT that skateboarding is know to be at high risk for injury.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
So far you have provided no comparable activity. Once you provide one that warrants serious consideration I will consider it. Until then is nothing more than a bunch of over-the-top situations that make zero sense.

You have *clearly* missed my points. The points are not comparable activity. The points are:

1) Injuries happen and can happen in any manner, irrespective of the nature of the activity.
2) There is a limit as to what colleges and universities can lawfully regulate.
3) As a fan, you bring your moral judgment to what constiutes dangerous activity, then chide Griner for not living up to your moral standard. Your feelings are not facts.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Here is an article that you may want to read before you indicate that I am making "moral judgements" about the risks of skateboarding. Maybe this is enough FACT for you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/435960-dangers-in-skateboarding/

Except for the fact you have not posted information about whether Griner was wearing protective gear, whether the surface was flat, etc., all of which minimizes risk.

What if Griner had injured her wrist falling on it while playing beach volleyball? At what point does a collegiate athlete be able to make decisions for herself and have a private life? If you want the university to regulate every aspect of her life, you are, in essence, commodifying her.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
An old study stated that in 2002 that skateboarding accounted for 50,000 emergency room visits, compared with 1 incident of stepping on a broken glass in a restaurant.

This is not a "moral judgement" about what constitutes risky behavior, it is well documented as being a risky activity.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Except for the fact you have not posted information about whether Griner was wearing protective gear, whether the surface was flat, etc., all of which minimizes risk.

What if Griner had injured her wrist falling on it while playing beach volleyball? At what point does a collegiate athlete be able to make decisions for herself and have a private life? If you want the university to regulate every aspect of her life, you are, in essence, commodifying her.

Please show where I stated that I want "every aspect of her life" regulated.

We will apparently have to agree to disagree on this one. Skateboarding is known to have a high risk of injury and puts BG at risk of not being able to meet her commitment to the university.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
As far as risk goes, I understand that Women's basketball has a fairly high rate of ACL injuries. I think we ought to prohibit the women's basketball players from playing basketball.

The ridiculousness of argument just hit a new high.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Please show where I stated that I want "every aspect of her life" regulated.

We will apparently have to agree to disagree on this one. Skateboarding is known to have a high risk of injury and puts BG at risk of not being able to meet her commitment to the university.

That is the slipper slope...regulating every aspect of one's life.

Football has a high risk of injury. Do we prohibit people from playing it?

This might be the only point on which we agree...in agreeing to disagree.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That is the slipper slope...regulating every aspect of one's life.

Football has a high risk of injury. Do we prohibit people from playing it?

This might be the only point on which we agree...in agreeing to disagree.

Once again, where did anyone state that we want to regulate "every aspect" of someone's life? There are activities that are high risk that, IMO, a coach has every right to ask a player not to participate in. If guess if BG were to come to you and say that she wanted to jump off of a building with homemade parachute that you would say, "let me know how that works out for you. It's your life and I have no right to tell you that you can't do that."

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I think that if Kim knew about it and allowed her to do it, then case closed. She will probably change the policy now, but in the past she clearly knew the risks and allowed BG to go ahead.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Once again, where did anyone state that we want to regulate "every aspect" of someone's life? There are activities that are high risk that, IMO, a coach has every right to ask a player not to participate in. If guess if BG were to come to you and say that she wanted to jump off of a building with homemade parachute that you would say, "let me know how that works out for you. It's your life and I have no right to tell you that you can't do that."

This is why I used the phrase "slippery slope."

Your hyperbole demonstrates you have clearly missed the points I was trying to make, by conflating them together as the basis for your response.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Your hyperbole demonstrates you have clearly missed the points I was trying to make, by conflating them together as the basis for your response.

I am using your argument as a whole. You cannot pick which portions of your argument that you want me to use. Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom