Better Job: St Johns or UC?

Better Job?

• Queen City

Votes: 70 53.4%
  • Queens

Votes: 61 46.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I'm just talking about being part of NYC, not the lousy location of the university

Yeah...I’m just not so sure NYC is as obvious of an advantage as you think it is

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Great points Dooley. Maybe spread a bunch of future NCAA bets on Bama and Clemson!

LOTS of money being spent on hoops recruits in the SEC. That conference obviously has years of knowledge of how to skirt around NCAA rules (or just not care about them because they are clearly above the law) from shady football recruiting practices.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Big 10 monsters - Michigan & OSU - aren't spending SEC money on recruits yet. Illinois has gotten into the game a bit. Actually now that I think about it, Rutgers would be a great school to funnel some of their mountain of cash to top hoops recruits.

Reaction Score
LOTS of money being spent on hoops recruits in the SEC. That conference obviously has years of knowledge of how to skirt around NCAA rules (or just not care about them because they are clearly above the law) from shady football recruiting practices.

I'm actually kind of surprised that the Big 10 monsters - Michigan & OSU - aren't spending SEC money on recruits yet. Illinois has gotten into the game a bit. Actually now that I think about it, Rutgers would be a great school to funnel some of their mountain of cash to top hoops recruits.

We’ve caught some big tuna in the past.

But they only hopped on bored cuz they loved the campus and the metro Storrs area ;)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We’ve caught some big tuna in the past.

But they only hopped on bored cuz they loved the campus and the metro Storrs area ;)

I wish we'd catch more tuna. We still operate as if APR is more important than anything else. I guess that happens when we're the only school in the history of APR to be held accountable for it.

Reaction Score
The thing about BC's slide that has been good?
It may discourage further forays into NE...
The ACC should never have gone there...but, thanks to Dr. Shalala.
I've got another thing that's good about it! AS much as we (UConn) have been damaged by the conference abominations, BC's timing arguably caused greater long-term damage. The fact that they joined the ACC & became irrelevant just as Boston's pro sports teams embarked on an unprecedented run of success has doomed fan interest for decades to come!

Reaction Score
Boston College was never really very relevant in the Big East......

BC, in football, never represented the conference in a bowl as champion...

...they ran up a string of 11 straight losses to Miami while in the BE...was 3-9 vs VT and 3-8 vs WVU.

For two years in the early 80's ('83-84) was when BC seemed to be relevant....culminating in their Flutie led Miracle in Miami in '84.

The Flutie legend made for great public conciousness...but Boston College was pretty much over by 1993 and the Big East.

Reaction Score
I’d take the Cincy job. I don’t want to live in Queens or commute there daily from somewhere else. For me, Cincy would offer a much better quality of life. It is a very underrated city.

I would have reservations on passing up proximity to all that NYC talent and the prep schools in New England, but Ohio schools find lots of talent too.
As of now, Cincy is the better job.

Reaction Score
Except the Beanpot. That gets a passing mention on the day it happens.
College hockey definitely has the most loyal, into-it followers of any college sport that Boston is otherwise oblivious to. But that's more hockey culture than anything else (not unique to Boston) and also, not incidentally due to the fact that hockey culture & practicality (practicality arguably part of hockey culture) enables immunity to the conference apocalypse virus.

P.S. RE: The day it happens. The beanpot is actually two Mondays in a row = but auror was probably technically correct as the first semifinal day doesn't warrant even the passing mention. This is a mere footnote, only remembered now as I re-read. Last time I went toe the Beanpot it was in the old Garden.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And St. John’s can no longer legally funnel cash to recruits because they were dumb and built dorms.
The day they built on campus housing is the day St. John’s basketball died.

This all day long. What have they done since the dorms went up?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Boston College was never really very relevant in the Big East.

BC, in football, never represented the conference in a bowl as champion...

...they ran up a string of 11 straight losses to Miami while in the BE...was 3-9 vs VT and 3-8 vs WVU.

For two years in the early 80's ('83-84) was when BC seemed to be relevant....culminating in their Flutie led Miracle in Miami in '84.

The Flutie legend made for great public conciousness...but Boston College was pretty much over by 1993 and the Big East.

And let's not forget their crowning Big East achievement on the way out...losing to a mediocre Syracuse team at home, when a win gives them the BCS bowl repping the conference. That was a truly pathetic choke job. The name Diamond Ferri will be forever regarded in Chestnut Hill with the same disdain as Gen. Sherman's name is in Georgia.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Isn't Charlotte the Queen City?
I think a “Queen City” is a city that is not the capital city of a state but has the biggest population. I know Burlington VT and others embrace this distinction more than others.

Reaction Score
Setting aside Loyola Chicago's Moser told the red stain to take a hike and based only partially on emerging reports there may not be any players left in lovely Queens to even have an APR, cinci clearly takes the better job cake.

Reaction Score
There are a group of folks who think the Big East still has Syrecuse West Virginia Pitt and Louisville. Just not us. For them the St Johns job is obviously better. Then there is the group that thinks somehow that New York is a college sports town. They think St Johns is better. Then the guys who are just New York State of mind guys. The final group is the guys who didn’t realize it isn’t 1957 anymore. Everyone else gets that Cincinatti is a much better gig. Not even close. Accessible to Chicago and Indiana for recruiting. Big hoop town. Very nice city with lots of great institutions. Even a local rivalry.

Reaction Score
There are a group of folks who think the Big East still has Syrecuse West Virginia Pitt and Louisville. Just not us. For them the St Johns job is obviously better. Then there is the group that thinks somehow that New York is a college sports town. They think St Johns is better. Then the guys who are just New York State of mind guys. The final group is the guys who didn’t realize it isn’t 1957 anymore. Everyone else gets that Cincinatti is a much better gig. Not even close. Accessible to Chicago and Indiana for recruiting. Big hoop town. Very nice city with lots of great institutions. Even a local rivalry.

A great hoops town and no NBA competition.

A lot of people turned this into a NBE vs AAC debate, however I would say that even if it was 20 years ago and UC was in CUSA and SJU was in the old Big East, UC was still a better job back then due to the same forces and reasons that have been discussed in this thread

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom