• Queen City

Votes: 70 53.4%
  • Queens

Votes: 61 46.6%

• Total voters

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Anybody that thinks St. John's is a better job than Cincy is living in the past, just like the "back to the 'new' Big Leasters" on this forum.

The Bearcats have better facilities, a better TV deal, state support, and a comparatively way better program over the past 20 years or more. St. John's has a lousy campus, tiny 1960's era on campus HS gym, can't attract top level talent, and being on FOX sports has been a ratings disaster. The Ron Artest era was their last high point, about 20 years ago. Current recruits weren't even born yet. Nobody but die hard Redmen fans can even remember the true glory days under Carnesecca.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You'd think being in NYC would be a huge advantage, but then again, you'd think being in Chicago would be the same for DePaul. Times have changed. UCLA isn't exactly setting the world on fire, despite being in LA. St. John's is as relevant to an 18 year old today, as ancient powers St. Bonaventure, or Duquesne were 30 years ago, when they were 15 years into their declines. If it didn't happen within the last 5 years, it's as ancient as CCNY to high school kids. Walter Berry means about as much as to an 18 year old as Frank Selvy does.
You lost credibility when you said St. John's is as relevant to kids as the Bonnie's and Duquesne. You should have thrown Holy Cross and the San Fran Dons in as well.

Reaction Score
For the record. St. John's averaged 16,497 fans in their five MSG games this year (including the 10k attended Holiday Festival)... That's pretty solid attendance at the mecca
This idea that they can't attract fans is nonsense, you attract fans anywhere in the country if you win. To think NYC won't support a good Johnnie's team is asinine.

Reaction Score
Having local support is different from being nationally relevant...

Reaction Score
You lost credibility when you said St. John's is as relevant to kids as the Bonnie's and Duquesne. You should have thrown Holy Cross and the San Fran Dons in as well.
Reading comprehension will get you far. I said as those programs were 30 years ago, not now. 30 years ago those programs were 15 or so years removed from being among the powers in eastern basketball. It meant nothing to recruits then, and Louie means nothing to recruits now. I doubt that Houston is now rolling because of what Guy Lewis did, and for what it's worth, Houston in the 80s, was quite a bit better than St. John's was in the same era.
Holy Cross, and San Fran fit nicely into my point, as does LaSalle. Hell, I could have added Pitt, and Syracuse football, and La. Tech women's hoops to the list of has been programs that no one cares about anymore. The point being, that kids care about who's on top now, not who was on top 15, 30, 50 years ago. Wichita St., and Xavier ring bells with the kids, St. John's and DePaul excite the over 50 crowd. Unfortunately, the over 50 crowd doesn't have any eligibility left.

Reaction Score
Reading comprehension will get you far. I said as those programs were 30 years ago, not now. 30 years ago those programs were 15 or so years removed from being among the powers in eastern basketball. It meant nothing to recruits then, and Louie means nothing to recruits now. I doubt that Houston is now rolling because of what Guy Lewis did, and for what it's worth, Houston in the 80s, was quite a bit better than St. John's was in the same era.
Holy Cross, and San Fran fit nicely into my point, as does LaSalle. Hell, I could have added Pitt, and Syracuse football, and La. Tech women's hoops to the list of has been programs that no one cares about anymore. The point being, that kids care about who's on top now, not who was on top 15, 30, 50 years ago. Wichita St., and Xavier ring bells with the kids, St. John's and DePaul excite the over 50 crowd. Unfortunately, the over 50 crowd doesn't have any eligibility left.
Whelp.... Is UConn on your list? :(

Reaction Score
Your point is a bit nonsensical though. Bonnies and Duquesne have 11 all-time tournament appearances between them, they are in Buffalo and Pittsburgh and play in the A-10. St. John's has 30 all-time tournament appearances they're in NYC, play in the Big East, and have the Garden. Those other programs have to luck into finding 2 and 3 star diamond in the rough players, St. John's still attracts 4 stars and occasionally 5 stars. Wichita St. is good because they have one of the best coaches in the country, if he leaves you got a program in the middle of nowhere Kansas that is only famous for 2 in the goo 1 in the...

Also, since you're such a creature of the moment you should have included UConn.

Reaction Score
....The St Johns MSG is not the MSG we know and love.

It empty. It’s like playing in a morgue.

Fifth Third Arena, on the other hand, is brand new, on campus and packed. Great environment.
I just do not understand how it can be both fifth and third. Is it the weird chili spaghetti?

Reaction Score
Red Storm has a crappy campus and basketball facilities compared to Cincy, right? The only thing going for them is MSG. At this moment it’s Cincy.

Reaction Score
Nowadays you would need to make 5mm a year to find a decent place to live in Manhattan. Otherwise coach would have to take the train from Queens.

Reaction Score
Go Bona!

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I just do not understand how it can be both fifth and third. Is it the weird chili spaghetti?

It's the name of a bank located on the corner of Fifth and Third in DT Cincinnati.

Reaction Score
St. John's has become an Iona.

The Gaels go to the dance (14 X)...but have only won one game there in their history.

The Johnnies have won just one tournament game in the last 19 years...and that one was 19 years ago.

St. John's, since 2000, is not the program that it once was.

Reaction Score
If you can't see how schools with better and more complete athletic departments (aka big schools) have more success, then I don't know what to tell you. Villanova is not comparable to Denver in hockey, even. St Johns ranks up there in all time wins. But so does Pennsylvania and Princeton.

College sports has been evolving. Whoever put more money into sports was and is more likely to win.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The right coach could come in and make either program a powerhouse. Let's not forget that 3 of the last 6 national champions have come from the AAC or Big East!

BUT if I were offered both gigs, I would take the Cincy job just based on the trajectories of the conferences. Regardless of where I landed, I'd be looking to use the job to move up, not make a long term home.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
KenPom just published this article on The Athletic 2 hours ago. Criteria are below. SJU isn’t even in the top 10. Cincinnati is 1.

KenPom: Which openings are the best on the coaching...

What I’ve done here is pretty simple. I’ve taken an average of each team’s adjusted efficiency margin since the 1998 season, giving more weight to more recent seasons while adding a dash of current conference affiliation. The objective is to produce a ranking of programs based on the success we would expect them to have over the next decade or so assuming a typical coach for that program. It should also match what most coaches generally think about when considering whether to pursue a particular job.

In terms of quantity, there have been a decent number of coaching vacancies with a total of 47 to date, and a few more to come either through the filling of existing openings or the occasional late offseason job actions that inevitably occur. But the quality has been lacking to some degree. Here are the top 10 openings in terms of program ranking:

1. Cincinnati (20th)
  2. UCLA (29th)
  3. Alabama (47th)
  4. Vanderbilt (48th)
  5. Arkansas (49th)
  6. BYU (56th)
  7. Texas A&M (57th)
  8. Temple (61st)
  9. Virginia Tech (64th)
  10. California (69th)

Reaction Score
KenPom just published this article on The Athletic 2 hours ago. Criteria are below. SJU isn’t even in the top 10. Cincinnati is 1.

What I’ve done here is pretty simple. I’ve taken an average of each team’s adjusted efficiency margin since the 1998 season, giving more weight to more recent seasons while adding a dash of current conference affiliation. The objective is to produce a ranking of programs based on the success we would expect them to have over the next decade or so assuming a typical coach for that program. It should also match what most coaches generally think about when considering whether to pursue a particular job.

In terms of quantity, there have been a decent number of coaching vacancies with a total of 47 to date, and a few more to come either through the filling of existing openings or the occasional late offseason job actions that inevitably occur. But the quality has been lacking to some degree. Here are the top 10 openings in terms of program ranking:
  1. Cincinnati (20th)
  2. UCLA (29th)
  3. Alabama (47th)
  4. Vanderbilt (48th)
  5. Arkansas (49th)
  6. BYU (56th)
  7. Texas A&M (57th)
  8. Temple (61st)
  9. Virginia Tech (64th)
  10. California (69th)

I think UConn’s proximity to St Johns (and the age of many a Boneyard poster...) blinds some to the relavtive strength of the UC brand

UConnNick

Reaction Score

1. Cincinnati (20th)
  2. UCLA (29th)
  3. Alabama (47th)
  4. Vanderbilt (48th)
  5. Arkansas (49th)
  6. BYU (56th)
  7. Texas A&M (57th)
  8. Temple (61st)
  9. Virginia Tech (64th)
  10. California (69th)

Case closed. Cincinnati is the best job on the market, and the extra benefit is you get to keep a lot more of the $$$ you make compared to living anywhere in the TriStateTaxZone.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Except, they're not in the A-10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom