Better Call Saul | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Better Call Saul

Reaction Score
Neither - he represents bad guys mostly, and has one of those obnoxious TV commercials.

And you really should give Breaking Bad another shot.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Agree with most here.

That bingo scene - ugh. Next season much more Mike. Now that jimmy is becoming Saul we'll see a lot more of seedy characters such as Nacho.
Help me out - Saul was in breaking bad? I couldn't get into that show - what was Saul's character like? A lawyer like Chuck, or more like he was in the beginning of better call Saul?

Saul in breaking bad is an ambulance chaser that's well connected to the underbelly of Albuquerque. If he doesn't know the guy, he knows a guy that knows a guy. He can talk his way out of anything - like you saw in the desert with nacho and tuco. He's not a criminal lawyer, but a criminal lawyer.

I highly recommend you go back and watch BB.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Help me out - Saul was in breaking bad? I couldn't get into that show - what was Saul's character like? A lawyer like Chuck, or more like he was in the beginning of better call Saul?

Yeah, go watch it. Feel free to fast forward through anything regarding Walt's relatives.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just watched the last 3 episodes of the season. I sort of got the feeling that Chuck was most responsible for keeping Jimmy down after watching the way Chuck acted during the flashback scene with the Bar Exam letter. Jimmy had to prod Chuck for a congratulations, which is what Kim expressed immediately. Chuck was far more concerned with the means rather than the end. It also makes sense that Chuck's "condition" is a direct result of Jimmy becoming Chuck's "colleague."

Husky25

Reaction Score
The best shows do not need huge plot twists every episode to work. Many of the best Mad Men or Sopranos episodes were about nothing. One of the best Game of Thrones episodes ever was when Jaime, Bronn and Oberyn Martell visit Tyrion in the dungeon. Nothing happens in the episode, and it was great TV. I liked the way Better Call Saul ended the season.

I wish Halt and Catch Fire would slow down the jaw dropping events a bit and just tell the story. It was interesting for a few episodes, but it is getting a bit much. That was Boss' problem (the Kelsey Grammar show on Starz). The first few episodes were incredible, but by the end of the first season, the excess of insanity was starting to blur the show's overall plot. House of Cards is crossing this line too. It can't be shocking if it happens every week.

This is why I got fed up with Sons of Anarchy at the end. It seemed like every episode in the few couple seasons had a major conflict. I reason that the show dealt with outlaw bikers and I'm supposed to willingly suspend my disbelief, but I increasingly found it hard to believe ANYONE, let alone a self proclaimed mediocre motorcycle mechanic with a GED, could cover up that much capital crime and smooth over the bad blood that would have resulted.

You're correct about House of Cards. Claire leaving the WH is a nice cliff hanger though.

Reaction Score
This is why I got fed up with Sons of Anarchy at the end. It seemed like every episode in the few couple seasons had a major conflict. I reason that the show dealt with outlaw bikers and I'm supposed to willingly suspend my disbelief, but I increasingly found it hard to believe ANYONE, let alone a self proclaimed mediocre motorcycle mechanic with a GED, could cover up that much capital crime and smooth over the bad blood that would have resulted.

You're correct about House of Cards. Claire leaving the WH is a nice cliff hanger though.

Your gonna spoil HOC for someone who thinks they are cruising through a Better Call Saul thread.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Your gonna spoil HOC for someone who thinks they are cruising through a Better Call Saul thread.
The FLOTUS is, in fact, allowed to step outside.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yeah I didn't think the finale was anything special. I wouldn't say it sucked though. I thought the bingo scene was longer than it needed to be but it served it's purpose. The rest of the episode was more important than it was surprising. We already know he has to slide into being a slimy lawyer so they pretty much had to set that up.
The bingo scene was beyond overkill. I believe they could have demonstrated Jimmy hitting a breaking point (and also explained what Jimmy did that led to Chuck getting him released and moving him to Santa Fe) in a manner that flowed better.

The remainder of the episode was basically allowing Jimmy to realize who and what he really is.

The "I know what was holding me back and it's not going to hold me back anymore" line was a great way to end the season. Mike's part in that conversation will obviously go a long way towards establishing a long term relationship with Saul.
I immediately felt that Jimmy's attempt to prove himself to Chuck was what held him back. Now I'm wondering if it was Kim, not Chuck who he was attempting to prove something to (as the partnership in the new firm was something she felt he wanted).

Something that never wavered (well, only in two emotion driven scenes, one in Breaking Bad and when he broke down and fessed up to his daughter-in-law) was that Mike was always professional. He is an incredible character. I realize that characters of that quality can be ruined if there is too much exposure but to date with this show it appears they are erring on the side of caution (to a great extent) in their attempt to prevent this.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Who in Better Call Saul, other than Jimmy, was in Breaking Bad?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The most important cross-over characters are Mike and Nacho.

Reaction Score
I thought it was a so/so "finale." The bingo scene showed Jimmy was bored with his elderly clients. And the return to his old haunts showed that going back to a life of scams wouldn't cut it either. And we learned that Chuck is never going to accept him as a big firm lawyer. So the only avenue left is to become Saul. But his decision to cross the line was devoid of drama. And the very end failed to evoke any "I can't wait" anticipation for the next season.

Some episodes were great - particularly Mike's backstory with his son. Looking forward to more Mike, more Nachos as Jimmy turns to Saul. I thought Kim's character was especially disappointing, as her only role was seemingly to serve as a go-between for HH&M and Jimmy.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Who in Better Call Saul, other than Jimmy, was in Breaking Bad?
Tuco first appears in season one. Saul and Mike first appear in season two. Saul mentions Nacho at some point but he does not appear.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Tuco first appears in season one. Saul and Mike first appear in season two. Saul mentions Nacho at some point but he does not appear.
This. Plus it's a safe but that other characters will start to be introduced as the series progresses.

I'm sure Bill Burr's character will make a few appearances along with Huell. I also would think that while we may not actually see Gus Fring, we'll probably see his main henchman (Victor). These probably won't be major characters in the show but there will likely be implications that will be easier picked up on if you're familiar with their futures.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
This. Plus it's a safe but that other characters will start to be introduced as the series progresses.

I'm sure Bill Burr's character will make a few appearances along with Huell. I also would think that while we may not actually see Gus Fring, we'll probably see his main henchman (Victor). These probably won't be major characters in the show but there will likely be implications that will be easier picked up on if you're familiar with their futures.
Yes. I think all of those characters will make appearances down the road with Fring likely only as a cameo.

Hopefully Huell can make it - I'm concerned for his health.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Yes. I think all of those characters will make appearances down the road with Fring likely only as a cameo.

Hopefully Huell can make it - I'm concerned for his health.
**Breaking Bad Spoiler - highlight below to see**

I'm more concerned that Huell is somehow still stuck in that safe house. No one was left alive to tell him when it was safe to leave.

Gretchen

Civilly Disobedient
Reaction Score
Yeah, I kept waiting for the big transformational moment and when it came it was pretty underwhelming.
‘Life’ happens incrementally. Should (good, well-written) TV not reflect this? Very few epiphanies, sudden jolts of lucidity, moments of extreme clarity. Not sure I like the show, but the story arc and character development seemed reasonable.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
‘Life’ happens incrementally. Should (good, well-written) TV not reflect this? Very few epiphanies, sudden jolts of lucidity, moments of extreme clarity. Not sure I like the show, but the story arc and character development seemed reasonable.

Vince Gilligan was allowed a certain amount of latitude. He probably was given a wink and nod assurance that a second season was imminent. Had this been a new show, and not a spin off of one of the most popular series in history, major character development would have already occurred.

Gretchen

Civilly Disobedient
Reaction Score
Vince Gilligan was allowed a certain amount of latitude. He probably was given a wink and nod assurance that a second season was imminent. Had this been a new show, and not a spin off of one of the most popular series in history, major character development would have already occurred.
A reasonable assertion.

Reaction Score

That's fair. But these TV shows mostly are larger than life. I really liked the show, I just didn't care for the season finale.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Season 2 premiers tonight following a season 1 marathon. Episode 4 airing as I type (McGill's billboard).

Reaction Score
Great start to season 2. Feels like they have their footing on both who Jimmy really is and how he doesn't know it. Seems like they've done away with the riddles of hidden agendas and backstories and are now more focused on the unknown of what actually happens next. I was riveted by both A and B plot in this first episode. Looking forward to seeing Jimmy pitted directly against the real villain.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing I found interesting was how seamlessly Kim was able to move into character when they conned the stock broker (along with how turned on she was with pulling it off). Obviously that relationship ends and until Monday it appeared that Jimmy returning to his con artist roots would be the cause. Evidently it is something more.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Man, Michael McKean's character (Charles), just annoys the hell out of me. Wish they would just kill him off or something.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Man, Michael McKean's character (Charles), just annoys the hell out of me. Wish they would just kill him off or something.
There is no way he gets killed off until the McGill >>> Goodman transformation is completed. Chuck is the catalyst for it in the first place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom