Better Call Saul | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Better Call Saul

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Chuck is performed by McKean exactly how he needs to be. It is amazing how easy it is to hate him. A quality double meaning (that I believe will be played on in the show) is the nickname"Charlie Hustle". While the intended meaning is that of a go-getter, Chuck's interpretation is Jimmy is merely a street hustler and does not view the nickname as complimentary (especially as it includes his first name).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
There is no way he gets killed off until the McGill >>> Goodman transformation is completed. Chuck is the catalyst for it in the first place.
Probably not, but the character is sooooo annoying. I almost turn it off when he comes on. And I like McKean.

Reaction Score
Probably not, but the character is sooooo annoying. I almost turn it off when he comes on. And I like McKean.
I like the character/acting/concept well enough to deal with it, but the electro-paranoia is a little far fetched and the tolerance for it is distracting. Someday someone has to resist turning in their phones and turning out the lights.
The Mike B-plot was fantastic already & then when Saul came in with the sitting video story it was spun to gold.

Reaction Score
I wonder (hope is more like it) if Mike's character is the next spin off in a few years. Take him back to when he was a cop back in Philly (I think that's where he was from). I like this show a lot, and he is the most interesting character (IMO) in it.

Reaction Score
I wonder (hope is more like it) if Mike's character is the next spin off in a few years. Take him back to when he was a cop back in Philly (I think that's where he was from). I like this show a lot, and he is the most interesting character (IMO) in it.
Agree, but he's just not a lead - he is a supporting guy. Would hate to see Mike 'Sipowitzzc's" = turned into an emotionally complex, sometimes naked, sensitive family man. He's simply better as a terse SOB.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
****SPOILER ALERT****

Not liking the writing/plot from last night. Mike's segments were great, but Jimmy running the ad on his own w/o approval is just stupid. Any kid fresh out of even an specious online college knows better than that. Jimmy works the angles and edges. So far he seems more than capable of figuring out the risks of his actions and his odds of getting away with them. But running the ad was full blown stupidity, especially as he can't be dumb enough to know that it will also likely take Kim down with him. Really a bad move and IMO, not in character. Maybe he's intentionally committing career/relationship suidcide, but this line of action really elicits no empathy.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
****SPOILER ALERT****

Not liking the writing/plot from last night. Mike's segments were great, but Jimmy running the ad on his own w/o approval is just stupid. Any kid fresh out of even an specious online college knows better than that. Jimmy works the angles and edges. So far he seems more than capable of figuring out the risks of his actions and his odds of getting away with them. But running the ad was full blown stupidity, especially as he can't be dumb enough to know that it will also likely take Kim down with him. Really a bad move and IMO, not in character. Maybe he's intentionally committing career/relationship suidcide, but this line of action really elicits no empathy.
He was probably in the mind of "easier to get forgiveness than permission". And yea, I don't think he really likes the job anyway. Push the envelope, if he loses the job, he loses the job. Then he can get back to what he really loves. He's mostly doing this for the girl anyway. As soon as she dumps him or he figures out he'll never measure up for her, the sooner he can get on with his life the way he wants.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The problem with all of Jimmy's actions is that the audience knows for absolute certainty that Jimmy becomes Saul. So whatever he does, however illogical for Jimmy, he must become Saul.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We also know for a certainty that he eventually ends up working at Cinnabon.

So we know Jimmy blows it and becomes Saul and Saul blows it and becomes Cinnabon man.

Rough sledding ahead.

Reaction Score
Yeah, its kind of 'what is the collateral damage on the way to becoming Saul' that's interesting in terms of the characters. I didn't like the Jimmy decision either, hoping that the uncanny ability of Vince G to intelligently write Walter White out of seemingly impossible situations re-emerges here.

Not as bad, but the gunshots quest for money by Mike's daughter-in-law was too transparent. Yes he saw thru it too, but wasn't she previously super paranoid about lifestyle and doing the right thing? Or are we to assume that she learned to live with Mike killing his son's killers and so now her morale boundaries are compromised?
Let Mike be greedy himself and have that result in drug dealing. Likewise I was ready for a season of Jimmy doing the boring right thing 90% of the time but being unable to resist and flourish in pro-bono cake sitting situations.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Much better episode last night. Things are starting to move along.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Jimmy nearly gets canned by Davis and Main but the commercial worked!! Kim gets demoted by her boss as a result.

Mike helps take down Tuco for Nacho. Instead of a kill shot Mike opted for police-witnessed battery and burglary.

Reaction Score
Yup, definitely a good episode (glad I watched it before reading Dove's synopsis above;) I kid, I kid...) We are getting closer to officially meeting Saul Goodman, attorney at law.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Best episode of the show so far. However, I hope they focus on more than two people's lives. In BB, it was Walter White, Hank, and Jesse. In BCS, it's only Saul and Mike. If they focused on Tuco's life it would also be good.

Reaction Score
I love how they keep bringing in the minor characters from Breaking Bad. The guy who handed Tuco money in the restaurant was the first person Walt killed in Breaking Bad. He ends up being the guy that Walt and Jesse have in the basement and Walt chokes him with the bike lock.

Even the way Saul ends up in Omaha managing a Cinnabon - he foreshadows that in one of the last episodes of Breaking Bad when him and Walt are hiding in a house waiting for their fake passports/IDs to me made. Great stuff.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I love how they keep bringing in the minor characters from Breaking Bad. The guy who handed Tuco money in the restaurant was the first person Walt killed in Breaking Bad. He ends up being the guy that Walt and Jesse have in the basement and Walt chokes him with the bike lock.

Even the way Saul ends up in Omaha managing a Cinnabon - he foreshadows that in one of the last episodes of Breaking Bad when him and Walt are hiding in a house waiting for their fake passports/IDs to me made. Great stuff.
Right. I knew the Tampico furniture store (the guys van) sounded familiar.

Husky25

Reaction Score

The arms dealer continues to be one of my favorite ultra-minor characters. In real life, I am on the side of more gun control (or at least adherence and enforcement of gun control already on the books), but this is entertainment and I think the actor plays a phenomenal part.

Reaction Score
Best episode of the show so far. However, I hope they focus on more than two people's lives. In BB, it was Walter White, Hank, and Jesse. In BCS, it's only Saul and Mike. If they focused on Tuco's life it would also be good.
Looks like Kim has emerged as the 3rd point on the triangle (previously it was kinda Chuck). I'd love to see her cross paths with Mike some day, they are both realists of few words but Kim's idealism versus Mike's cynicism would be great.

Jimmy is actually the least interesting of the 3 right now. Even though we know what happens to Mike, I'm dying to see how he gets outta jail time and practically foaming at the mouth for Gus Fring. IMO Gus is the best TV villain probably ever. Its weird I want a lot of Mike & Gus going forward, but with Jimmy I'd kind of prefer that jump to the Cinnabon days so that we aren't burdened knowing what happens next.

Yet I think Jimmy seemingly about to flip to Saul may be another bluff that they will backtrack. I feel like whenever the metamorphosis to Saul happens it has to simultaneously have Chuck melt down ending up at "nervous hospital" or worse.

Reaction Score
great episode this week. loved where the previews for next week seem to be taking the story (great suits Jimmy/Saul). this season is flying by.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Did anyone else pick up on where Kim was from? I think this is why Saul goes into "hiding" to Omaha, Nebraska.

We can now guess how the series will end when they are ready. Flash forward to "Gene" at the Cinnabon. He makes contact with Kim. The Feds (or worse) find out where he is. Ends up with him dead or in prison. Done.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Did anyone else pick up on where Kim was from? I think this is why Saul goes into "hiding" to Omaha, Nebraska.

We can now guess how the series will end when they are ready. Flash forward to "Gene" at the Cinnabon. He makes contact with Kim. The Feds (or worse) find out where he is. Ends up with him dead or in prison. Done.
Kim was wearing a Kansas City Royals shirt a couple episodes back after "relations." That seems to indicate Western Missouri.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Kim was wearing a Kansas City Royals shirt a couple episodes back after "relations." That seems to indicate Western Missouri.
Yes, noticed the shirt too. In her interview she said that she's a Midwestern girl and then more specifically from a small town in Kansas near the Nebraska border. If she's near Kansas City end of Kansas that would put her at about a 2 hour drive from Omaha.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom