Best program in the NNNBE | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Best program in the NNNBE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The BE is really dying right now.

Ain't gonna sell out its conference tourney.

And people are gasping at Georgetown's performance. Have you visited HoyaTalk lately?

Talk of UConn in the AAC and our CR disaster would be considered uplifting in comparison.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every player in the NFL is a human chemistry project. You should be careful about throwing rocks.

I'm not really an NFL fan... But sorry I should have stressed bicycle over chemistry for maximum disdain.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's funny because without Uconn, Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville who really gives a sh *t about the Big East?

Not many for sure. Yet their
TV rights for just basketball are 2.5 times the AAC rights for football, basketball and UConn women's basketball....

Reaction Score
I'm not really an NFL fan... But sorry I should have stressed bicycle over chemistry for maximum disdain.

Your disdain means incredibly little to me. But whatever sport you are a fan of, the athletes are probably juicing.

Reaction Score
Creighton, Gonzaga and their ilk are one month darlings....nationally, folks only watch and care about them in the month of March.

Everyone loves an underdog...but as soon as their warm up act is done..it's over for them. The momentary spotlight on the third ring moves to the center ring and their act as introductory entertainment is forgotten as the main show begins.

Three "warm-up" acts have played in the past four Final Fours whereas only one ACC team has. . .

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your disdain means incredibly little to me. But whatever sport you are a fan of, the athletes are probably juicing.

The last thing I need to read is Boneyard pontificating on PEDs. I really am only a fan of college football and basketball but I imagine you are right a ton of them are juicing. I care about as much as I do about their academic commitment.

Reaction Score
Not many for sure. Yet their
TV rights for just basketball are 2.5 times the AAC rights for football, basketball and UConn women's basketball....
That's a totally different discussion. We got totally screwed by the terms of the previous contract and a low ball bid.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

You really don't get the irony of being a cycling fan and mocking
'Creighton' though do you? It
seems so obvious it would be hard
to miss.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's a totally different discussion. We got totally screwed by the terms of the previous contract and a low ball bid.

It's really not a different discussion. You don't think anyone cares about
the Big East but the market says the Big East is a much more valuable television property. The contract should have led to overbidding if the product had value.

Reaction Score
I love how you keep bringing it back to 40 years. That's what someone would do to disparage UConn's success.

You are insanely stupid on this topic and have some weird Creighton grudge that doesn't allow you to be reasonable.

I'd ask you to name 10 mid majors who were better over the last 15 years but you'd list idiocy like FGCU.

You are angry about rankings? They got one seed over 8 in 15 years. If anything they were underseeded and got screwed - not your bizarre impression that they have underperformed their 'ranking'.

I think that Creighton is generally better than upstater is giving them credit for...and I'm not sure it's wise to go solely on whether some team has gotten out of the first weekend. Pretending to not know who they are is also silly. If you love basketball, they've been around a long time.

But here's the thing about the MVC: it isn't a terrible conference. They have had many years with multiple bids. And they've had many S16 teams.

1994: Southern Illinois and Tulsa had bids, with Tulsa in the Sweet 16.
1995: Southern Illinois and Tulas - Tulsa in the S16
1996: Bradley and Tulsa
1997: Illinois State
1998: Illinois State
1999: Creighton, Evansville, Missouri State - Missouri State in the Sweet 16 (then Southwest Missouri State)
2000: Creighton, Indiana State
2001: Indiana State, Creighton
2002: Southern Illinois, Creighton - Southern Illinois in Sweet 16
2003: Creighton, Southern Illinois
2004: Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa
2005: Southern Illinois, Creighton, Northern Iowa
2006: Southern Illinois, Bradley, Witchita State, Northern Iowa - Bradley, Witchita State in Sweet 16
2007: Creighton, Southern Illinois - Southern Illinois in Sweet 16
2008: Drake
2009: Northern Iowa
2010: Northern Iowa - Northern Iowa in Sweet 16
2011: Indiana State
2012: Creighton, Witchita State
2013: Witchita State, Creighton - Witchita State in Sweet 16 (FF)

So, over 20 years, the MVC sent six different schools to the Sweet 16 nine times the conference averages a Sweet 16 team almost once every other year. And, over that time there have been 11 different schools in the conference, so over 50% of MVC schools have been to the S16 in the last 20 years. If Creighton is supposedly their best program, shouldn't they have been there once?

And sure, their seeding hasn't always been the best. A preponderance of 7-10 seeds, and those are hard to overcome. But Even a school like Drake got a 5 seed one year. Witchita State and Southern Illinois, as well, got into a top 5 seed. Which means that Creighton's in-season success has not bee enough to justify a higher seed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Creighton got a 6 once and did nothing with it. The tourney deck is stacked against the mid majors, but yes Creighton hasn't had the big run.

If you line up their seeds and work under the assumption that higher seeds 'should win' they have outperformed their seed the last 15 years.

If you only think a mid major is good when they pull an upset or two and nothing else matters than Lehigh and Cornell and FGCU are all better. Sure they can't draw what Creighton does in one night for a whole season - but if only the NCAA tourney counts that's how it it.

Reaction Score
Creighton got a 6 once and did nothing with it. The tourney deck is stacked against the mid majors, but yes Creighton hasn't had the big run.

If you line up their seeds and work under the assumption that higher seeds 'should win' they have outperformed their seed the last 15 years.

If you only think a mid major is good when they pull an upset or two and nothing else matters than Lehigh and Cornell and FGCU are all better. Sure they can't draw what Creighton does in one night for a whole season - but if only the NCAA tourney counts that's how it it.

No need to strawman me here. I said from the beginning that I respect them...they deserve more credit than upstater and others are giving them. I largely agree, which is why I did preface it with that.

But they weren't in the league Lehigh or Florida Gulf Coast are in. They're in a league that, with a good enough regular season, you can get favorable seeding. And their regular season hasn't been enough to justify a Top 5 seed yet.

This year will change that, though, I suspect.

Reaction Score
You really don't get the irony of being a cycling fan and mocking
'Creighton' though do you? It
seems so obvious it would be hard
to miss.

No I don't. I imagine "Creighton" caddy corner to vacant lot with the broken down tractor and the Omaha Zoo.

Not all of us can achieve the pinnacle of being overweight golfers who like only mainstream sports and obscure schools in Nebraska.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No I don't. I imagine "Creighton" caddy corner to vacant lot with the broken down tractor and the Omaha Zoo.

Not all of us can achieve the pinnacle of being overweight golfers who like only mainstream sports and obscure schools in Nebraska.

I'm starting to suspect that "Creighton" had a threesome with Zoo and upstaters wives.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to suspect that "Creighton" had a threesome with Zoo and upstaters wives.

Listen up Whaler, racing bikes is awesome. Lacrosse is awesome. Rooting for Creighton is for the dudes who are all worried about the impending Velveeta shortage.

Get with it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Listen up Whaler, racing bikes is awesome. Lacrosse is awesome. Rooting for Creighton is for the dudes who are all worried about the impending Velveeta shortage.

Get with it.

Lacrosse is terrible. The goals come too cheap and it can't decide if it's physical or not. They could replace the goalies with small amounts of plywood and no one would notice.

I don't know anyone who roots for Creighton but if I meet someone I'll pass along the Velveeta thing.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't know anyone who roots for Creighton but if I meet someone I'll pass along the Velveeta thing.

One of my good friends fathers was the team doctor for Creighton for 25 years before retiring recently. I'll ask them if they like velveeta.

Reaction Score

Exactly. Nobody roots Creighton. The picture you posted was from an Amway Convention in their gymnasium.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The BE is dying.

And everyone is going to leave the ACC. This and all other sorts of nonsense every day on the Boneyard.

It's almost impossibly stupid for you to argue about budgets in one thread and call the Big East dying in another, as if the AAC isn't much worse off.

Reaction Score
Three "warm-up" acts have played in the past four Final Fours whereas only one ACC team has. . .

Four Final Fours back...Duke won the National Championship.

You have to go back 24 years to find a real Cinderella national Champ (UNLV).

Since 2003, five teams that are now in the ACC have won a basketball NC....

Creighton might be able to make the Sweet 16 (have they done so and when?). Many mid majors can make the Sweet Sixteen and even the Elite Eight. Even a football school like FSU has made the Sweet Sixteen of recent. But that is where the glass ceiling is.

When I was a senior at FSU, the Noles played in the finals against one of John Wooten's legendary teams...30-0 record and Bill Walton at center. Way, way back in anybody's day...but I still remember the season.

Reaction Score
UNLV a cinderella? That team was as good as any national title team. The great thing about the tournament is that Butler, VCU, and George Mason, can make legit runs for a national title. They have no ceiling because they are not affected by one and dones.

Reaction Score
Four Final Fours back...Duke won the National Championship.

You have to go back 24 years to find a real Cinderella national Champ (UNLV).

Since 2003, five teams that are now in the ACC have won a basketball NC....

Creighton might be able to make the Sweet 16 (have they done so and when?). Many mid majors can make the Sweet Sixteen and even the Elite Eight. Even a football school like FSU has made the Sweet Sixteen of recent. But that is where the glass ceiling is.

When I was a senior at FSU, the Noles played in the finals against one of John Wooten's legendary teams...30-0 record and Bill Walton at center. Way, way back in anybody's day...but I still remember the season.

Reaction Score
UNLV a cinderella? That team was as good as any national title team. The great thing about the tournament is that Butler, VCU, and George Mason, can make legit runs for a national title. They have no ceiling because they are not affected by one and dones.

No...under Tark and with his recruiting...UNLV was a powerhouse.

Mid majors have a different meaning in basketball then football....Wichita State is a legit BB major and FSU a mid major...UNLV is not a major but Gonzaga may be.

All of this IMHO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer